PDA

View Full Version : Problem - Lack of goals from midfield

Tony C
08-09-2021, 11:51 AM
Solution- sell the person who scored 7 in 7 last season.

Sharp minds at the Arsenal imo

redgunamo
08-09-2021, 12:33 PM
"Arsenal Transfer Chief". :-|

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-09-2021, 01:20 PM

I know. It's a fücking joke. We've had all summer and we're weaker than last year. We have a useless Chav reject and a third choice full back on long contracts with big wages.

If we're playing a 4-2-3-1, then Torreira in front of the back 4 and Gwendo as box-to-box would be ok if Partey et al are injured. But while we pay their wages, Arteta doesn't like them so they're not even in London.

The team is crying out for a Santi/Rosicky type. Someone with the skill, goals and assists of a no.10 who can play as a no.8 between Partey and ESR, allowing Thomas is sit deeper.

But we don't even have Odegard any more.

Our skipper's lost it since Malaria. We've 4 strikers going for one place and don't have Europe. In 2002, having Skiltord as cover for all of the front 4 positions meant he played more than most of them and he knew how to fit in as a result.

No-one wants our donkey rejects so we can't sell to buy. We don't have a 2nd goalie and the Sperz are buying that talented striker we wanted.

Willock should have been given a go. If he could just put in a tackle, move the ball forward to the skilful 3 behind the striker, and can get into the box, he could do a job. His strike that crossed the goal-line vs the Chavs was a sweet finish after great work by Coni in the box.

I don't think MA knows what he's doing. He needs to work with the players he has, as opposed to thinking he can play like Pep.

Kronkie has destroyed this club and he doesn't understand enough about football to know how to fix it. The longer we're out of the CL, the further we'll fall behind. A decade of mid-table mediocrity beckons.

To think we left Highbury for this.

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
08-09-2021, 03:13 PM

Even going beyond his 7 in 7 his overal record for his postion is very impressive for his age. 19 goals in 92. And most of those are probably sub appearances. I've always seen Wilock as a Ramsey style player and if we look closely at it, his numbers are better than Ramsey at the same age.

Willock is still another year off his physical prime. I don't think we've getting a great deal here at all. His not better than any of ESR, Saka,Martineli or Pepe but we clearly need a player in that postion to rotate anyway. Seems to be a case of selling him for 20 odd million and then spunk 60m on an older player who is slightly better at the minute.

PSRB
08-10-2021, 04:35 PM

Rumours growing we've agreed personal terms for Tammy Abrahams........

WES
08-11-2021, 09:10 AM
Rumours growing we've agreed personal terms for Tammy Abrahams........

As much as I continue to support Edu/Arteta, that one would make me ask some serious questions of them. It makes no sense whatsoever, must be Tw@tter nonsense imo.

On a different topic, the talent on display in Split is really quite exceptional :love: :love:

WES
08-11-2021, 09:16 AM

Problem is that Willock isn't actually very good, 7 goals at Newcastle or not. He had plenty of opportunity to establish himself with us and failed to do so, hence why he was loaned out.

Best to move him on and get the money while it is on offer. See also Reiss Nelson.

PSRB
08-11-2021, 09:54 AM
Problem is that Willock isn't actually very good, 7 goals at Newcastle or not. He had plenty of opportunity to establish himself with us and failed to do so, hence why he was loaned out.

Best to move him on and get the money while it is on offer. See also Reiss Nelson.

and Eddie, as well

WES
08-11-2021, 12:22 PM
and Eddie, as well

:nod:

Although once each deal is complete GG will be back and in a rage demanding Wenger's return.

Sort of reminds me of old skool AWIMB when every move by the club resulted in RCEG et al endlessly slating Wenger, Dein and the rest.

Glory days imo :-)

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
08-11-2021, 02:42 PM

Scored 1 in 7 for us prior to the Newcastle loan. Not too bad

WES
08-12-2021, 08:28 AM
Scored 1 in 7 for us prior to the Newcastle loan. Not too bad

It's hardly overwhelming, is it? :rolleyes:

I judge him by watching him play, and he really isn't very good I'm afraid.

08-12-2021, 11:15 AM
:nod:

Although once each deal is complete GG will be back and in a rage demanding Wenger's return.

Sort of reminds me of old skool AWIMB when every move by the club resulted in RCEG et al endlessly slating Wenger, Dein and the rest.

Glory days imo :-)

Too fücking right. Bring him back, play the kids and sign loads of midget no.10s to fill in any positions we don't have kids for.

It'd be great.

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
08-12-2021, 12:35 PM

It's a better scoring rate than Saka. :shrug:

WES
08-12-2021, 01:33 PM
It's a better scoring rate than Saka. :shrug:

The most important and telling stat there is not the 1 goal, nor the 1 goal in 7 games - it's the 7 games.

Eboue's Boutique
08-12-2021, 01:45 PM

I judge him by watching him play, and he really isn't very good I'm afraid.

yeah, he sometimes runs on the wrong side of the defender after combining etc.

I like him but think he's not a great stylistic fit with the rest. Not sure what position he'd play at Arsenal and how much time he'd get there. He's one of the few players we can sell and get a decent fee out of.

Good move for him and a decent one for Arsenal

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
08-12-2021, 02:08 PM
yeah, he sometimes runs on the wrong side of the defender after combining etc.

I like him but think he's not a great stylistic fit with the rest. Not sure what position he'd play at Arsenal and how much time he'd get there. He's one of the few players we can sell and get a decent fee out of.

Good move for him and a decent one for Arsenal

Ceballos, Ødegaard and William played 97 games last season between them. We're gonna need another offensive minded midfeilder to cover those. True, we're not in the UEFA cup so that's a good chunk less games but we still need at least one player to cover those positions.

AFC East
08-12-2021, 04:10 PM

This man knows what he's talking about ^^^^^^^

08-12-2021, 08:11 PM
This man knows what he's talking about ^^^^^^^

Geordies beg to differ. FL8 didn't have the skill of DB10 or RP7, but he put in a shift and kept banging in vital goals with regularity. A team can do with that.

Eboue's Boutique
08-13-2021, 02:16 AM
Ceballos, Ødegaard and William played 97 games last season between them. We're gonna need another offensive minded midfeilder to cover those. True, we're not in the UEFA cup so that's a good chunk less games but we still need at least one player to cover those positions.

Yeah, I think ESR being fit and Pepe hopefully being better from start of the season will eat some of that along with Lokonga. And we'll also very likely get a new attacking midfielder in, Odegaard or Auoar perhaps. Hopefully Martinelli gets more minutes on the LW and Willian not so much.

WES
08-13-2021, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I think ESR being fit and Pepe hopefully being better from start of the season will eat some of that along with Lokonga. And we'll also very likely get a new attacking midfielder in, Odegaard or Auoar perhaps. Hopefully Martinelli gets more minutes on the LW and Willian not so much.

Will be interesting to see if he moves to 433 or stays with 4231, or even (hopefully not) goes to 3 at the back. I'm guessing he wants to move to 433, but that suggests the need for another creative midfielder I think.

08-13-2021, 10:03 AM
Will be interesting to see if he moves to 433 or stays with 4231, or even (hopefully not) goes to 3 at the back. I'm guessing he wants to move to 433, but that suggests the need for another creative midfielder I think.

We need another creative MF even in 4-2-3-1. A sort of Santi/Rosicky type. Someone with the skill of a no.10 who can be a box-to-box player in a 2-man MF, to sit between Partey and ESR. The team is crying out for a no.8 who can score and make goals, add some magic, but still do the work of a proper MF.

Eboue's Boutique
08-13-2021, 10:44 AM
We need another creative MF even in 4-2-3-1. A sort of Santi/Rosicky type. Someone with the skill of a no.10 who can be a box-to-box player in a 2-man MF, to sit between Partey and ESR. The team is crying out for a no.8 who can score and make goals, add some magic, but still do the work of a proper MF.

Completely agree, thats been what I've wanted the most this window (along with a CB with good feet).

Seems like Ødegaard is leaving Real Madrid though, according to Spanish media this last hour, so thats probably the guy we'll get unless Real Madrid wants to much for him.

His release clause above 100m shouldnt be allowed when he's only at 25k a week

08-13-2021, 11:18 AM
Completely agree, thats been what I've wanted the most this window (along with a CB with good feet).

Seems like Ødegaard is leaving Real Madrid though, according to Spanish media this last hour, so thats probably the guy we'll get unless Real Madrid wants to much for him.

His release clause above 100m shouldnt be allowed when he's only at 25k a week

But MA played him as a no.10 and moved ESR to the wings. Personally, I'd rather have Pépé wide and ESR at 10. He scores and makes more goals than MO. He's more of a Bergy while MO's more of a midfielder. Arteta didn't try MO and Partey last year behind ESR and I worry he'll do the same again. He obviously doesn't like Pépé - that's why he wasted all that money on the Chav reject.

If he buys MO, drops Pépé again and has Xhaka as a starter even when Partey's fit then I've had it. Arteta can go. Yet if he played MO next to/in front of Partey, and he can play as a box-to-box like Santi and Rosicky could then fine. But is MO capable as one of a two man MF? Can he do all the defensive work on the edge of our box like Santi could? He's got a great eye for a pre-assist and so would be perfect IF he can do all the tackling and defending. Otherwise, we've spent a whole window and basically just got a young replacement for Luiz.

Eboue's Boutique
08-13-2021, 11:47 AM
But MA played him as a no.10 and moved ESR to the wings. Personally, I'd rather have Pépé wide and ESR at 10. He scores and makes more goals than MO. He's more of a Bergy while MO's more of a midfielder. Arteta didn't try MO and Partey last year behind ESR and I worry he'll do the same again. He obviously doesn't like Pépé - that's why he wasted all that money on the Chav reject.

If he buys MO, drops Pépé again and has Xhaka as a starter even when Partey's fit then I've had it. Arteta can go. Yet if he played MO next to/in front of Partey, and he can play as a box-to-box like Santi and Rosicky could then fine. But is MO capable as one of a two man MF? Can he do all the defensive work on the edge of our box like Santi could? He's got a great eye for a pre-assist and so would be perfect IF he can do all the tackling and defending. Otherwise, we've spent a whole window and basically just got a young replacement for Luiz.

No, I dont think MO is the 8 you're looking for and it just doenst seem like the direction we want to go (without selling Xhaka for much more than 12-15m).

As tired as we are of Xhaka, it kinda worked alright with him and Partey for much of last season. We appearantly had top 2 form (by points) since boxing day or so. It'll probably be CF or RB they'll try to upgrade, if we can get rid of someone. And ofcourse 2nd GK.

But Xhaka hasnt signed the new deal yet so maybe there's still something that could happen there.

08-13-2021, 12:23 PM
No, I dont think MO is the 8 you're looking for and it just doenst seem like the direction we want to go (without selling Xhaka for much more than 12-15m).

As tired as we are of Xhaka, it kinda worked alright with him and Partey for much of last season. We appearantly had top 2 form (by points) since boxing day or so. It'll probably be CF or RB they'll try to upgrade, if we can get rid of someone. And ofcourse 2nd GK.

But Xhaka hasnt signed the new deal yet so maybe there's still something that could happen there.

We should have prioritised the creative no.8. It was the most important upgrade we needed.

Eboue's Boutique
08-13-2021, 01:03 PM
We should have prioritised the creative no.8. It was the most important upgrade we needed.

Yeah I was hoping for someone that could both play beside Partey in a pivot but also be a bit more creative semi-near the box. A Locatelli or that brazilian bloke in Lyon who can run past people too. Perhaps preferably someone capable of being a bit front footed and better at being aggressive to win the ball than Xhaka. I think they wanted to do that but didnt get near 20m from Roma for Xhaka and figured they better prio other areas than sell a player that's been alright (albeit frustrating to watch).

This Odegaard direction was pretty decent for much of last season, he looked great until he got injured with Norway.

What we're probably missing the most is a striker that opponents actually fears and scores more easily. We love to cross but not to attack crosses. Hoping Auba can get back to confidence and scoring ways unless we manage to sell and sign someone a bit bigger (like Tammy or Vlahovic from Fiorentina). I think Odegaard allows us to play a bit more centrally and less up the wings all the time.

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
08-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Say what you want about Willock but if he played the game time Willian did last season we'd have been dramatically better.

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
08-13-2021, 08:34 PM

:clap: we're 1-0 down against relegation fodder and bring on Nelson but a proven goal scorer from midfield is "not good enough for Arsenal". :dogs: We're a foocking joke.