PDA

View Full Version : Profoundly 'Meh' about this Super League malarkey.

Burney
04-19-2021, 08:22 AM
This has been coming down the road a long time and frankly I could no longer give a toss. We're all just soulless franchises now and have been for a while. English football's just another product to be marketed at chinks. Let them have it.

When we sold to Kroenke, we became just another club. When Wenger went, the last link to what the club used to be went with him and with it any emotional attachment. It's just been going through the motions since then. Given all which, I can't really get terribly exercised about this latest grubbiness.

One thing I'm not having, however, is Sky Sports, the Premier League, newspaper pundits and that repulsive little commie Gary f*cking Neville getting on their high moral horses about it. The PL was no less of a carve-up by big clubs and only now they suddenly develop a problem with the idea? F*ck right off.

IUFG2
04-19-2021, 08:46 AM
This has been coming down the road a long time and frankly I could no longer give a toss. We're all just soulless franchises now and have been for a while. English football's just another product to be marketed at chinks. Let them have it.

When we sold to Kroenke, we became just another club. When Wenger went, the last link to what the club used to be went with him and with it any emotional attachment. It's just been going through the motions since then. Given all which, I can't really get terribly exercised about this latest grubbiness.

One thing I'm not having, however, is Sky Sports, the Premier League, newspaper pundits and that repulsive little commie Gary f*cking Neville getting on their high moral horses about it. The PL was no less of a carve-up by big clubs and only now they suddenly develop a problem with the idea? F*ck right off.

The irony is not lost...

one assumes this won't be broadcast by Sky or BT - more that these teams will require you to stream THEIR content under a subscription.

Well, The Arsenal, you can **** right off.

Burney
04-19-2021, 09:08 AM
The irony is not lost...

one assumes this won't be broadcast by Sky or BT - more that these teams will require you to stream THEIR content under a subscription.

Well, The Arsenal, you can **** right off.

I assume so. That's been the dream for big clubs for ages. I can't really blame them.

To be honest, another reason I'm not that arsed about it is that I wholeheartedly despise everyone who's p*ssed off about it. If Sky, the Premier League, Garys Neville and Lineker, UEFA and football fans are whining about something, I find it physically impossible to be on the same side as them.

PSRB
04-19-2021, 09:12 AM
I assume so. That's been the dream for big clubs for ages. I can't really blame them.

To be honest, another reason I'm not that arsed about it is that I wholeheartedly despise everyone who's p*ssed off about it. If Sky, the Premier League, Garys Neville and Lineker, UEFA and football fans are whining about something, I find it physically impossible to be on the same side as them.

I've completely lost interest. I turned over from yesterday's match to watch the F1. Zero ****s given these days

Burney
04-19-2021, 09:22 AM
I've completely lost interest. I turned over from yesterday's match to watch the F1. Zero ****s given these days

Watching a kickabout in an empty stadium is bad enough, Watching the kickabout stop for 10 minutes whenever anything even vaguely interesting happens in order that people can f*ck about with VAR and arrive at apparently arbitrary decisions in an empty stadium is even less appealing, tbh.

redgunamo
04-19-2021, 09:24 AM
Indeed. Well said, as ever.

Even back when we decided to become the Woolwich Wanderers, something important died.

Can't cry for Wenger though; he's been one of the chief enablers, if not architects, of the whole global sell-out and sell-off of football for years. Though perhaps it was inevitable anyway, as you suggest.

When we sold to Kroenke, we became just another club. When Wenger went, the last link to what the club used to be went with him and with it any emotional attachment. It's just been going through the motions since then. Given all which, I can't really get terribly exercised about this latest grubbiness

WES
04-19-2021, 09:38 AM
Indeed. Well said, as ever.

Even back when we decided to become the Woolwich Wanderers, something important died.

Can't cry for Wenger though; he's been one of the chief enablers, if not architects, of the whole global sell-out and sell-off of football for years. Though perhaps it was inevitable anyway, as you suggest.

Quite. Even though I agree with much of what Burney posted, associating Wenger with the club we once were is pretty rich.

I seem to recall him being slated for bringing too many foreigners into our club, hammered for fielding an entirely foreign 11 and then absolutely murdered for moving us from Highbury.

And he wanted VAR too :-(

redgunamo
04-19-2021, 10:26 AM
In fact, he was brought in precisely BECAUSE we no longer wanted to be the club we once were.

If you follow me.

Quite. Even though I agree with much of what Burney posted, associating Wenger with the club we once were is pretty rich.

I seem to recall him being slated for bringing too many foreigners into our club, hammered for fielding an entirely foreign 11 and then absolutely murdered for moving us from Highbury.

Burney
04-19-2021, 10:27 AM

He was the last remaining link to Highbury, the marble halls, the Hill-Woods and the rest of it. Those are just facts. Whether you like him or not doesn't change those associations. :shrug:

And VAR per se has never been a bad idea. The way it's been implemented, however, is a complete shambles. It should never have been put in the hands of the officials, who are naturally going to use it to cover their arses. It should have been an appeals-based system in the hands of the team captains as in cricket with a limited number of appeals available. Unless an appeal is made, the on-field decision stays.

Tony C
04-19-2021, 10:35 AM
It’s a good example of what happens everyday.

Media spin, cancel culture, general hatred and bullying.

-

It’s Champions League reform.

All of the clubs have said they will continue in their domestic leagues and the format allows for a revolving door of 5 other clubs.

But UEFA have thrown their toys out the pram and kicking them out of everything...even international football...while Gary Neville and Rio stir up emotions of ‘how can they do this during a pandemic’.

Good grief.

-

Usually with stuff like this all parties realise there’s too much money to be made so compromises are made but I wonder if UEFA have completely lost the battle now with their latest escalation.

Might even see more clubs sign up to it so we end up with 2 Super League division.

Burney
04-19-2021, 10:40 AM
It’s a good example of what happens everyday.

Media spin, cancel culture, general hatred and bullying.

-

It’s Champions League reform.

All of the clubs have said they will continue in their domestic leagues and the format allows for a revolving door of 5 other clubs.

But UEFA have thrown their toys out the pram and kicking them out of everything...even international football...while Gary Neville and Rio stir up emotions of ‘how can they do this during a pandemic’.

Good grief.

-

Usually with stuff like this all parties realise there’s too much money to be made so compromises are made but I wonder if UEFA have completely lost the battle now with their latest escalation.

Might even see more clubs sign up to it so we end up with 2 Super League division.

I see it as analogous with World Series Cricket back in the 70s. The opportunity exists for the best-supported teams and best players to break away and play for more money and bigger audiences, so they will. Everyone will be up in arms at first, but eventually, the breakaway will become part of the mainstream and things will carry on - albeit subtly changed.

PSRB
04-19-2021, 10:52 AM
He was the last remaining link to Highbury, the marble halls, the Hill-Woods and the rest of it. Those are just facts. Whether you like him or not doesn't change those associations. :shrug:

And VAR per se has never been a bad idea. The way it's been implemented, however, is a complete shambles. It should never have been put in the hands of the officials, who are naturally going to use it to cover their arses. It should have been an appeals-based system in the hands of the team captains as in cricket with a limited number of appeals available. Unless an appeal is made, the on-field decision stays.

:nod: same as the red flag challenge in NFL, the manager gets 1 challenge per half

Burney
04-19-2021, 10:55 AM
:nod: same as the red flag challenge in NFL, the manager gets 1 challenge per half

This has been blindingly obvious for ages, but UEFA being what it is, they committeed it until all the stakeholders were equally unhappy with it and it was total shít.

Sir C
04-19-2021, 11:19 AM
In fact, he was brought in precisely BECAUSE we no longer wanted to be the club we once were.

If you follow me.

He wa brought in because we wanted to be the club we once were once again. Bank of England, and all that.

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
04-19-2021, 11:23 AM
Owners out of control breaking away to form a new league where you can't get relegated. This is just not on, this is not the ethos of Arsenal at all. Well, apart from the vary foundations of our club when our chairman didn't like the idea of our relegation and had it overturned and sent the Jews down instead because we were the elite club. :clap:

The best thing about all this will be all the sad full kit *******s rioting over this. The same chumps that thought nothing about the regime locking them in their house for the past year.

WES
04-19-2021, 12:01 PM

You'll struggle to convince an awful lot of Arsenal supporters that Wenger was the last remaining link to something he moved us out of.

And while I agree that VAR should be used on an appeals basis, that doesn't fundamentally fix the problem with overly officious VAR with their stupid lines and technology ruining the game. Even if it was based on appeals you are still ruining the celebration of a goal as I described. You'd still have to wait for to see if the oppo appealed and then for the stupid lines to be dragged out etc etc

Football is not cricket, or the NFL for that matter, VAR simply doesn't suit it beyond the 'did the ball cross the line' bit, which does make sense.

PSRB
04-19-2021, 02:02 PM

The most impressive part about this whole thing, is that they kept it quiet and nobody leaked anything on it. Kudos for that.

redgunamo
04-19-2021, 06:30 PM
That's boars, I'm afraid. We'd never been colonised, and I use the word advisedly, by Frenchmen before.

He wa brought in because we wanted to be the club we once were once again. Bank of England, and all that.

Sir C
04-19-2021, 07:35 PM
That's boars, I'm afraid. We'd never been colonised, and I use the word advisedly, by Frenchmen before.

French lives matter, r.

Do you want to be cancelled?

redgunamo
04-19-2021, 09:31 PM
Oh? Do YOU want to be cancelled? #blm #silence=violence

French lives matter, r.

Do you want to be cancelled?

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
04-19-2021, 10:29 PM
It's all very amusing watching Sky Sports in panic mode wheeling out their talking heads trying to demonize another big bully beating them at their own game.

Tony C
04-20-2021, 12:18 AM
Amusing they think they can take on the likes of Kronke, Henry, Abu Dhabi, Glazers and Roman.

Maybe 1 you could get at...but all? Lol good luck with that project.

-

Was thinking that the Super League should create a team to fill one of the remaining spots...Wakanda FC...first all black team :nod:

Would create a major conundrum for the haters.

Idris Elba can be the Chairman :thumbup:

Vieira manager, Kolo Assistant, sign up the likes of Maitland, Willock, Pepe, Zaha, Calvert Lewin etc

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
04-20-2021, 01:44 AM
Amusing they think they can take on the likes of Kronke, Henry, Abu Dhabi, Glazers and Roman.

Maybe 1 you could get at...but all? Lol good luck with that project.

-

Was thinking that the Super League should create a team to fill one of the remaining spots...Wakanda FC...first all black team :nod:

Would create a major conundrum for the haters.

Idris Elba can be the Chairman :thumbup:

Vieira manager, Kolo Assistant, sign up the likes of Maitland, Willock, Pepe, Zaha, Calvert Lewin etc

It todays area that could possibly happen. They're putting woman into these leagues as well after all.