PDA

View Full Version : I'm not happy about this vaccine news. Not happy at all.

Sir C
11-10-2020, 11:35 AM
If things are back to normal in the spring then football will become football again.

And we're really, really poor. I mean like bad. NFG. As bad as I can remember. Badder than a team containing Martin Hayes and Ian Allinson. Worser than a team with Chris Whyte at centre half. :-(

It's a piss poor outlook and no mistake.

J_MATRIX
11-10-2020, 12:15 PM
I remember being at a match once when George Graham brought on the mighty Nial Quinn and then took him off again because he was so bad - now that was piss poor

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
11-10-2020, 12:29 PM
If things are back to normal in the spring then football will become football again.

And we're really, really poor. I mean like bad. NFG. As bad as I can remember. Badder than a team containing Martin Hayes and Ian Allinson. Worser than a team with Chris Whyte at centre half. :-(

Chris Whyte won the league at Leeds. Can't see our donkeys achieving that.

Yesterday Once More
11-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Correct. Chris Whyte is nowhere near the worst centre-back we've seen in the past 50 years. He was a decent player who had the misfortune to play for us at a time when the defence was given no protection from a powder-puff midfield containing the likes of Rix, Davis and the vastly over-rated Steve Williams. Even our best midfielder at the time, Brian Talbot, was at his most effective going forward. David O'Leary looked ordinary during those years, when he had appeared a world-beater in his early time with the club.

IUFG2
11-10-2020, 01:09 PM
Correct. Chris Whyte is nowhere near the worst centre-back we've seen in the past 50 years.

That honour belongs to Thomas Vermaelen. The over-rated, shít****.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-10-2020, 02:40 PM

. . . . . . . . .

The Insider
11-10-2020, 04:52 PM

Sorry, not having that. Without Allinson there would have been no WHL 1987 and Hayes was part of Anfield '89. As for Chris Whyte, a lovely bloke as well as a League champion - just don't take a cheque from him.....

Burney
11-11-2020, 02:55 PM

He improved when his hair started falling out.

Burney
11-11-2020, 02:56 PM
That honour belongs to Thomas Vermaelen. The over-rated, shít****.

Not even close. Just off the top of my head Pascal Cygan, Igor Stepanovs, Sebastien Squillaci and Mikael Silvestre were all worse.

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
11-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Not even close. Just off the top of my head Pascal Cygan, Igor Stepanovs, Sebastien Squillaci and Mikael Silvestre were all worse.

A player who left us to join a prime Barca is our worst ever CB? Not for me Clive.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
11-11-2020, 05:00 PM

No. Cygan was responsible for one of my fave ever moments. Winning 3-1 at Roma.

!-0 down after 4 mins. Then we equalise through Titi 1 min later. Later in the first half, Totti shoots. You see the goal. The keeper's beaten and it's going into an empty net on the far side. Then, as if by magic, Cygan's bald head appeared in the shot from nowhere and he cleared it off the line.

2 more for Titi in the 2nd half. Heroic win. All down to Pascal's magically appearing from nowhere. Far better defender that the 3 Ss you mention.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-12-2020, 10:21 AM

A thread about bad defenders and no mention of the great Gus Caesar

IUFG2
11-12-2020, 10:31 AM

Not so. Maybe Squillaci was close.

TV5 scored on his debut in a rout and we got our hopes up. Then there was that awful performance against Chelsea and he just got steadily worse.

He then, bizarrely, went to Barca and did fúck all, other than being unable to drive into their car park properly. Sums him up...

Sir C
11-12-2020, 10:32 AM

Do you know, I rather suspect that when I typed Chris Whyte I was actually thinking of Gus Caeser. Poor old Gus. Nick Hornby made him famous for being rubbish. :-(

IUFG2
11-12-2020, 10:32 AM

Just because a man has a terrible game in a cup final, he only gets remembered for that?

Fair enough imo.

Sir C
11-12-2020, 10:37 AM

TV5 scored on his debut in a rout and we got our hopes up. Then there was that awful performance against Chelsea and he just got steadily worse.

He then, bizarrely, went to Barca and did fúck all, other than being unable to drive into their car park properly. Sums him up...

Cygan was far from a dreadful defender. In fact, on a couple of occasions he was the only player in our team who exhibited some self-belief and a pair of cojones. Am I thinking about a home game against Chelsea when we looked beaten before kick off?

Burney
11-12-2020, 10:55 AM

To be fair, Barcelona bought a number of our players when they were either past their sell-by date, knackered or hadn't quite hacked it with us. I sometimes got the feeling they did it just to annoy us.

Wasn't Vermaelen rumoured to have had a particularly ruinous habit?

Burney
11-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Cygan was far from a dreadful defender. In fact, on a couple of occasions he was the only player in our team who exhibited some self-belief and a pair of cojones. Am I thinking about a home game against Chelsea when we looked beaten before kick off?

Never said he was dreadful. Just that he was worse than Vermaelen. What was that game where Cygan scored two late goals?

Sir C
11-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Never said he was dreadful. Just that he was worse than Vermaelen. What was that game where Cygan scored two late goals?

Golly yes, I was on the north bank for that game... he was serenaded as Pascal Zidane. Or Zinedine Cygan, I remember not. Nor could I say who were the opposition. In short, I've gone all Alzheimery.

Burney
11-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Golly yes, I was on the north bank for that game... he was serenaded as Pascal Zidane. Or Zinedine Cygan, I remember not. Nor could I say who were the opposition. In short, I've gone all Alzheimery.

I was there as well, but was at the Clock End. I seem to remember it was a midweek game, but this could be nonsense. No idea as to the opposition.

This is the sort of situation where la could actually make himself useful for once.

Sir C
11-12-2020, 11:20 AM
I was there as well, but was at the Clock End. I seem to remember it was a midweek game, but this could be nonsense. No idea as to the opposition.

This is the sort of situation where la could actually make himself useful for once.

I believe it's his birthday today, and as it is now after midday in der Vaterland he is currently a drooling mess, but God willing he may not yet have soiled himself.

IUFG2
11-12-2020, 11:52 AM

Fulham. Balmy Wednesday evening?

IUFG2
11-12-2020, 11:55 AM
Fulham. Balmy Wednesday evening?

Dennis Bergkamp :love: - oh yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkmL9OmskXk

Pascal on fire, tbf

Luis Anaconda
11-12-2020, 12:47 PM
I believe it's his birthday today, and as it is now after midday in der Vaterland he is currently a drooling mess, but God willing he may not yet have soiled himself.

Despite being off work I am waiting for confirmation of something from the US, hence I am only a half-dribbling mess so far

Sir C
11-12-2020, 01:04 PM
Despite being off work I am waiting for confirmation of something from the US, hence I am only a half-dribbling mess so far

Happy birthday la! Is it the Big 50 this year?

Burney
11-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Dennis Bergkamp :love: - oh yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkmL9OmskXk

Pascal on fire, tbf

That's the one. Maybe I was in the North Bank. :rubchin:

Reyes :cry:

At 8.30 there is a moment of Hleb at his pathologically gunshy best. :hehe:

Burney
11-12-2020, 01:22 PM

hblaahbamimo

Luis Anaconda
11-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Happy birthday la! Is it the Big 50 this year?
Ty sir c. A mere 49 this year. One more the big one

Luis Anaconda
11-12-2020, 01:46 PM
hblaahbamimo
Thank you b

Burney
11-12-2020, 01:55 PM

49 again, eh? ;-)

Sir C
11-12-2020, 02:20 PM

You young people, eh? We’ll have a lovely times with your friends.

Burney
11-12-2020, 02:24 PM
You young people, eh? We’ll have a lovely times with your friends.

la is four years younger than Nicole Kidman. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Mind you, Ms Kidman appears not to have aged in 20-odd years, to be fair. She's just got less mobile. I suspect if she ever smiled now, her face would crack like a piece of porcelain.

barrybueno
11-12-2020, 02:27 PM
Thank you b

Ah yes Happy Birthday :thumbup: Always remember it :cough: facebook

Sir C
11-12-2020, 03:02 PM
la is four years younger than Nicole Kidman. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Mind you, Ms Kidman appears not to have aged in 20-odd years, to be fair. She's just got less mobile. I suspect if she ever smiled now, her face would crack like a piece of porcelain.

I expect la’s looking his age now. The abuse he’s put his body through will be showing.

redgunamo
11-13-2020, 11:25 AM
Fair point. He looked a steal when we bought him, especially considering Rio Ferdinand's price-tag, that same Summer. Time (amongst other things) somewhat modified that view though :-\

redgunamo
11-13-2020, 11:30 AM
Alles gute zum Geburtstag!

Zum vohl! :guinness::guinness:

Luis Anaconda
11-13-2020, 03:11 PM
Ah yes Happy Birthday :thumbup: Always remember it :cough: facebook

Cheers b - I had a few drinks for you

Luis Anaconda
11-13-2020, 03:11 PM
I expect la’s looking his age now. The abuse he’s put his body through will be showing.

Compared to the picture someone posted on Facebook from about my 40th, I look like a spring chicken. German beer is good for you

Luis Anaconda
11-13-2020, 03:15 PM
Alles gute zum Geburtstag!

Zum vohl! :guinness::guinness:

Vielen dank, r