PDA

View Full Version : Queen will address nation on VE Day anniversary before public singalong of

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-29-2020, 08:18 AM
"We'll Meet Again."

This is fantastic news. I must confess I had thought Her Majesty was being a little disingenuous when she last addressed us but this has changed my mind. Berni said that she possesses a preternatural ability to gauge the mood of her subjects and this is proof.

Why I'll even go so far as to say that even a caustic old cynic like b will be standing on his doorstep come VE day and will join in with what will be a deeply emotional moment for our Kingdom. I suspect that when the song reaches its poignant chorus, "Won't you please say hello, to the folks that I know" a manly tear will escape even Berni's rather life-jaundiced eye.

God bless Her Majesty!

Sir C
04-29-2020, 08:27 AM
"We'll Meet Again."

This is fantastic news. I must confess I had thought Her Majesty was being a little disingenuous when she last addressed us but this has changed my mind. Berni said that she possesses a preternatural ability to gauge the mood of her subjects and this is proof.

Why I'll even go so far as to say that even a caustic old cynic like b will be standing on his doorstep come VE day and will join in with what will be a deeply emotional moment for our Kingdom. I suspect that when the song reaches its poignant chorus, "Won't you please say hello, to the folks that I know" a manly tear will escape even Berni's rather life-jaundiced eye.

God bless Her Majesty!

My old mate Jack Currie, RIP, was disciplined whilst training with the USAAF for refusing to lead a singalong of “We’ll meet again” to raise morale amongst students. When questioned as to why he was refusing he admitted, “I can’t sing it because it’s bilge Sir!”

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-29-2020, 08:42 AM
With all respect c I imagine your friend was a bit of a frost. My mum said she'd always thought the song, "We'll meet again" is the voice of a fallen soldier to his sweetheart back in blighty :cry:

Burney
04-29-2020, 09:38 AM
My old mate Jack Currie, RIP, was disciplined whilst training with the USAAF for refusing to lead a singalong of “We’ll meet again” to raise morale amongst students. When questioned as to why he was refusing he admitted, “I can’t sing it because it’s bilge Sir!”

Hear him! Hear him! A truly godawful song.

I still can't quite believe Dame Vera Lynn is still knocking about, though. It's kept her in fishfingers all these years, I imagine.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-29-2020, 09:49 AM
Hear him! Hear him! A truly godawful song.

I still can't quite believe Dame Vera Lynn is still knocking about, though. It's kept her in fishfingers all these years, I imagine.

to change the words slighty?

One'll meet again
don't know weer, don't know win?

I'll be lonely and blue
I'll be waving at you
from my castle near Slough

Sir C
04-29-2020, 10:57 AM
With all respect c I imagine your friend was a bit of a frost. My mum said she'd always thought the song, "We'll meet again" is the voice of a fallen soldier to his sweetheart back in blighty :cry:

A frost? A frost? The man flew two tours on Lancasters and then a third on Mosquitos. He’s a ****ing hero, you jobbie tugging nonce!

barrybueno
04-29-2020, 11:09 AM
"We'll Meet Again."

God bless Her Majesty!

Shocking choice, she's totally out of touch with her own nation. "You'll Never Walk Alone" is the one true song that brings us all together. Silly cow.

Burney
04-29-2020, 11:09 AM
A frost? A frost? The man flew two tours on Lancasters and then a third on Mosquitos. He’s a ****ing hero, you jobbie tugging nonce!

Blimey! How long were these tours? I seem to recall Bomber Command increased their length throughout the war. Either way, surviving that lot is some serious odds-defying.

Burney
04-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Shocking choice, she's totally out of touch with her own nation. "You'll Never Walk Alone" is the one true song that brings us all together. Silly cow.

:nono: She should open with 'Whaddaya think of Tottenham?' and go from there into a full-blown, no-holds-barred version of 'We hate Tottenham', including the racial epithets and gas noises.

Sir C
04-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Blimey! How long were these tours? I seem to recall Bomber Command increased their length throughout the war. Either way, surviving that lot is some serious odds-defying.

The first tour was 30 missions and the second 20. On Mosquitos he flew an especially adapted high altitude version collecting weather data over Germany before raids. He said it was quite amusing stooging around over Berlin in an unarmed aircraft knowing the Germans had nothing that could fly fast enough or high enough to reach him.

Or nothing that he knew of yet...

Burney
04-29-2020, 11:22 AM
The first tour was 30 missions and the second 20. On Mosquitos he flew an especially adapted high altitude version collecting weather data over Germany before raids. He said it was quite amusing stooging around over Berlin in an unarmed aircraft knowing the Germans had nothing that could fly fast enough or high enough to reach him.

Yes. I heard an interesting way of putting the approaches of the two sides to technology the other day. It was that the allied approach in WWII was to perfect the weapons of the 1930s, while the Germans (due in part to their material inferiority) tried instead to win by building the weapons of the 1950s. Some truth to it, I thought.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-29-2020, 11:25 AM

I don't give a fúck if he was tearing around the stratosphere stark bóllocks naked at the speed of sound and crapping all over the Hun c. If the miserable c'unt wouldn't sing along with Dame Vera then he was a frost. And if you don't sing along to the same song with Her Majesty this coming VE day then you're a stuck up, horse buggering frost yourself!

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-29-2020, 11:29 AM
Yes. I heard an interesting way of putting the approaches of the two sides to technology the other day. It was that the allied approach in WWII was to perfect the weapons of the 1930s, while the Germans (due in part to their material inferiority) tried instead to win by building the weapons of the 1950s. Some truth to it, I thought.

And the one weapon that would have saved Germany was the big one of course so I think it a supreme irony that the top three scientists on project Manhattan - Oppenheimer, Teller and Feynman - were all jews.

Burney
04-29-2020, 11:35 AM
And the one weapon that would have saved Germany was the big one of course so I think it a supreme irony that the top three scientists on project Manhattan - Oppenheimer, Teller and Feynman - were all jews.

Yes, although they were a bit slow. If they'd put their backs into it, they could've dropped it on Berlin in front of the advancing Soviet army and Comrade Stalin would have had to wind his fúcking neck in a bit. As it was, they had to spaff it away on the Nips.

barrybueno
04-29-2020, 11:47 AM
:nono: She should open with 'Whaddaya think of Tottenham?' and go from there into a full-blown, no-holds-barred version of 'We hate Tottenham', including the racial epithets and gas noises.

I hear that B. In that case a bit of 'The Famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to sign the Pope' thrown in :thumbup:

I'd love to hear Her Maj shout 'Fúck Off'

Burney
04-29-2020, 11:50 AM
I hear that B. In that case a bit of 'The Famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to sign the Pope' thrown in :thumbup:

I'd love to hear Her Maj shout 'Fúck Off'

:music: 'We're the boys in red and blue
Who the fúckin'ell are you?
And Ron Noades' mother rides a horse' :music:

barrybueno
04-29-2020, 11:53 AM
:music: 'We're the boys in red and blue
Who the fúckin'ell are you?
And Ron Noades' mother rides a horse' :music:

:clap: Always a little bit of Palace in you. Very polite version btw.

Burney
04-29-2020, 11:57 AM
:clap: Always a little bit of Palace in you. Very polite version btw.

I always liked that one. And I always hated Noades ever since I found out about him being close friends with my arch-nemesis Corbett. :furious:

barrybueno
04-29-2020, 12:04 PM
I always liked that one. And I always hated Noades ever since I found out about him being close friends with my arch-nemesis Corbett. :furious:

Possibly my favourite tbh. Why the Ronnie hate? :rubchin:

Luis Anaconda
04-29-2020, 12:18 PM

Jesus, bb - where have you been?

barrybueno
04-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Jesus, bb - where have you been?

Nowhere really, stuck indoors. Spurs fan was he?

Burney
04-29-2020, 12:32 PM

:sigh: Condensed version: I was his paperboy. He ordered the Sunday Times, which was too big to fit in his letterbox and he wouldn't let it just be dropped in the porch. I therefore did the only logical thing and posted it through his letterbox in sections. He tried and failed to get me sacked, the little c.unt. I've loathed him ever since.

Luis Anaconda
04-29-2020, 12:35 PM
:sigh: Condensed version: I was his paperboy. He ordered the Sunday Times, which was too big to fit in his letterbox and he wouldn't let it just be dropped in the porch. I therefore did the only logical thing and posted it through his letterbox in sections. He tried and failed to get me sacked, the little c.unt. I've loathed him ever since.
Did you ever establish how exactly he wanted it delivered (apart from shoved up his arse for his terrible behaviour)?

barrybueno
04-29-2020, 12:39 PM

Ah ok :hehe: I suppose you had the last laugh now as he's dead and someone torched his old house :-)

Must have been a right **** not watching and enjoying the Two Ronnies though :-\

Burney
04-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Did you ever establish how exactly he wanted it delivered (apart from shoved up his arse for his terrible behaviour)?

No. That was the thing. When he complained to me I pointed out that there was literally no other way of delivering his paper through his letterbox and that he'd already ruled out the idea of just leaving it in the porch. This insolent use of logic on my part is what caused him to call the newsagent and try to get me sacked. He was just being a c.unt for the sake of it, the nasty little scotch prick.

Burney
04-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Ah ok :hehe: I suppose you had the last laugh now as he's dead and someone torched his old house :-)

Must have been a right **** not watching and enjoying the Two Ronnies though :-\

It would be fitting if they poured petrol through the letterbox.

Luis Anaconda
04-29-2020, 01:46 PM
It would be fitting if they poured petrol through the letterbox.

:hehe: harsh but fair

barrybueno
04-29-2020, 02:00 PM
:hehe: harsh but fair

That's some world class grudge holding :hehe:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-29-2020, 09:05 PM

Tbf I'd heard it was well cold up in those bombers, C.

Harry Balls
04-29-2020, 10:59 PM
Her grandson just walked out of a sweet gig coz she's a bossy old twot out of touch with reality, no?