PDA

View Full Version : Today’s Taters. #1 of a new series.

Sir C
04-27-2020, 10:22 AM
Today’s taters will be:

https://foodism.co.uk/recipes/quality-chop-house-confit-potatoes/

A pleasing prospect, I think you’ll agree.

What are your plans for your spuds today?

barrybueno
04-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Today’s taters will be:

What do we think of spuds?

Sir C
04-27-2020, 10:42 AM
What do we think of spuds?

“Spuds” :hehe: that angry wee bubble nic is still hurling abuse at journalists on Twitter for alleged anti-Arsenal bias. Some poor bloke who said something mildly critical of the club recently got called, l’écume of the earth” :hehe:

Burney
04-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Today’s taters will be:

I can't help but notice that their 'Mustard' dressing doesn't appear to have any mustard in it.

Sir C
04-27-2020, 11:09 AM
I can't help but notice that their 'Mustard' dressing doesn't appear to have any mustard in it.

Yes, I noticed that. I found the recipe elsewhere for clarification.

For the mustard dressing
dijon mustard 425g
lemon juice of ½
cider vinegar ½ tsp
vegetable oil 375ml

425g mustard? 375ml oil? Who am I feeding, the Grenadier Guards?

Burney
04-27-2020, 11:18 AM
Yes, I noticed that. I found the recipe elsewhere for clarification.

For the mustard dressing
dijon mustard 425g
lemon juice of ½
cider vinegar ½ tsp
vegetable oil 375ml

425g mustard? 375ml oil? Who am I feeding, the Grenadier Guards?

Well it is for a kilo and a half of spuds, which even at my most Irish I'd struggle to put away. Recipes always seem to assume you're holding some sort of massive dinner party for hordes of chums. Don't they realise we're cloistered misanthropes, ffs?

Sir C
04-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Well it is for a kilo and a half of spuds, which even at my most Irish I'd struggle to put away. Recipes always seem to assume you're holding some sort of massive dinner party for hordes of chums. Don't they realise we're cloistered misanthropes, ffs?

I’ve done half the spuds but even so... 200g mustard is a lot.

I think I’ll play it by ear.

Burney
04-27-2020, 11:35 AM
I’ve done half the spuds but even so... 200g mustard is a lot.

I think I’ll play it by ear.

I wish you joy of them. They sound yummy, but sound like something for when a chap has some time on his hands.

Luis Anaconda
04-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Today’s taters will be:

Baked spud, melted cheddar

Burney
04-27-2020, 11:40 AM

I have no spuds planned today. My choices are Chicken with red pepper couscous or lasagne. I mean I could do a few chips on the side, I suppose...

Sir C
04-27-2020, 11:41 AM

Good work la. Can you still get cheddar now that the UK is no longer allowed to export to the EU? Smuggled, is it?

Sir C
04-27-2020, 11:42 AM
I have no spuds planned today. My choices are Chicken with red pepper couscous or lasagne. I mean I could do a few chips on the side, I suppose...

Best get the couscous done today before the rain arrives tomorrow. Lasagne is a good comforting rainy day dish.

Luis Anaconda
04-27-2020, 11:45 AM
Good work la. Can you still get cheddar now that the UK is no longer allowed to export to the EU? Smuggled, is it?

I have my sources. Sadly I don't have any sauces and the shop selling British good closed down at the weekend :(

Burney
04-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Best get the couscous done today before the rain arrives tomorrow. Lasagne is a good comforting rainy day dish.

:nod: My thinking exactly. I have taken to doing something that would doubtless outrage an Italian, but is bloody good. I melt a ball of mozzarella into the bechamel. Gives it a gooey richness that's extremely good.

The Insider
04-27-2020, 12:51 PM
Mrs TI does a lovely dauphinoise potatoes.

Had them on Saturday, very pleasant

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-27-2020, 01:03 PM
:nod: My thinking exactly. I have taken to doing something that would doubtless outrage an Italian, but is bloody good. I melt a ball of mozzarella into the bechamel. Gives it a gooey richness that's extremely good.

layer of the bechamal ( but not the top layer - burns ya see ).

What specific cheese do you use in your bechemal? I mean if Cheddar for example, exactly which brand?

Sir C
04-27-2020, 01:16 PM

Now I must confess that I love a dauph but, since about 15 years ago when I did a cookery course with Jean-Christophe Novelli, I can only make the dauphinoise as per his mum’s recipe, which includes cheese, thyme and, wait for it, curry powder.

Any purists who wish to object can suck my ball sac.

https://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/6010/roast-stuffed-loin-of-pork-with-curried-dauphinoise

Burney
04-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Now I must confess that I love a dauph but, since about 15 years ago when I did a cookery course with Jean-Christophe Novelli, I can only make the dauphinoise as per his mum’s recipe, which includes cheese, thyme and, wait for it, curry powder.

Any purists who wish to object can suck my ball sac.

https://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/6010/roast-stuffed-loin-of-pork-with-curried-dauphinoise

He also put vanilla in his tomato sauce, though.

To be honest, I'm sure it's very nice. but it's not really a dauphinoise, is it? It's more a sort of a pommes gratin thingummy.

Burney
04-27-2020, 02:37 PM
layer of the bechamal ( but not the top layer - burns ya see ).

What specific cheese do you use in your bechemal? I mean if Cheddar for example, exactly which brand?

I don't put any other cheese in my bechamel other than perhaps a touch of Parmesan.

Sir C
04-27-2020, 02:53 PM
He also put vanilla in his tomato sauce, though.

To be honest, I'm sure it's very nice. but it's not really a dauphinoise, is it? It's more a sort of a pommes gratin thingummy.

If Jean-Christophe Novelli, a proper Frog, chef and absolute dreamboat, says it’s a dauph, it’s a ****ing dauph. Capisce?

Burney
04-27-2020, 02:56 PM
If Jean-Christophe Novelli, a proper Frog, chef and absolute dreamboat, says it’s a dauph, it’s a ****ing dauph. Capisce?

Eyetie name, though, innit? And just 'cos you wanted to get into his pants doesn't make him Escoffier imo.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-27-2020, 03:46 PM

Try them with a layer of balsamic caramelised onions in the middle. My French mate gave me that as part of her recipe a few years back and now I put them into all my GDs.