PDA

View Full Version : Raan

The Insider
04-24-2020, 11:29 AM
This Sunday I intend to try my first attempt at Raan (not naan) in the tandoor, Has anyone done one before or have any tips?

TA!!

Sir C
04-24-2020, 11:52 AM
This Sunday I intend to try my first attempt at Raan (not naan) in the tandoor, Has anyone done one before or have any tips?

TA!!

Sadly I have no experience of the raan or the tandoor, so I have ****a le for you. Except I’d like to know if you can control the temperature of the tandoor to do a slow cook, or is it always screaming hot?

The Insider
04-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Sadly I have no experience of the raan or the tandoor, so I have ****a le for you. Except I’d like to know if you can control the temperature of the tandoor to do a slow cook, or is it always screaming hot?

You can reduce the heat, adding less charcoal to the bottom and cooking a bit later. It is an art that after three years, I still haven't mastered - probably never will, but they are wonderful things.

Sir C
04-24-2020, 12:57 PM
You can reduce the heat, adding less charcoal to the bottom and cooking a bit later. It is an art that after three years, I still haven't mastered - probably never will, but they are wonderful things.

I wish you joy of it, ti. The raan looks like a wonderful dish, good luck.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-24-2020, 01:08 PM

TA!!

Do you make rotis? I love a tandoor roti, me. And the missus.

The Insider
04-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Do you make rotis? I love a tandoor roti, me. And the missus.

I do my own roti, but they are just dry pan fried and then deep fried if I fancy a poori.

Sir C
04-24-2020, 01:22 PM
I do my own roti, but they are just dry pan fried and then deep fried if I fancy a poori.

Do you have south Asian heritage ti, or are you simply a cracker with a fine understanding of the cuisine of the sub continent?

The Insider
04-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Do you have south Asian heritage ti, or are you simply a cracker with a fine understanding of the cuisine of the sub continent?

I am as English as you can be from teh Isle of Wight! Traced back to 1740 there. Just love the food so much and lived in Manchester for 14 years so picked up a lot there. In the 80s the little genuine Asian shops had halal butcher's counters at the back, differnt whole spices on the shelves and weird veg at the front were a real wonder. The owners were always ready to chat about food, especially as white faces in those areas then tended to be very rare and not usually that welcoming. Quite lovely!

Sir C
04-24-2020, 01:51 PM
I am as English as you can be from teh Isle of Wight! Traced back to 1740 there. Just love the food so much and lived in Manchester for 14 years so picked up a lot there. In the 80s the little genuine Asian shops had halal butcher's counters at the back, differnt whole spices on the shelves and weird veg at the front were a real wonder. The owners were always ready to chat about food, especially as white faces in those areas then tended to be very rare and not usually that welcoming. Quite lovely!

This is a heartwarming story of diversity ti. I think there’s a lesson there for us all.

Will you take a pic of your raan and show us on a Monday?

04-24-2020, 04:04 PM

Why can't you just stick the flattened dough to the inside of the tandoor like they do in India to make the rotis? They just use a big ball of cloth to keep their hands safe.

04-24-2020, 04:06 PM
This is a heartwarming story of diversity ti. I think there’s a lesson there for us all.

Will you take a pic of your raan and show us on a Monday?

It is heart-warming, C. It just proves that we and the sub-continentals should all unite as equals and then smite all the heathens like the Septics and Chinks. I've long maintained this.

The Insider
04-26-2020, 03:01 PM
The tandoor is warming up the (half) leg of lamb has had 30 hours of marinading and I'm sh@tfaced. What could possibly go wrong x

Sir C
04-26-2020, 08:08 PM
The tandoor is warming up the (half) leg of lamb has had 30 hours of marinading and I'm sh@tfaced. What could possibly go wrong x

#prayfortheinsider

The Insider
04-27-2020, 06:56 AM
It worked very well. The rotis not so, although when pan fied they were wonderful. Just a few slices left to go into the traditional Monday Biryani.

Sir C
04-27-2020, 08:30 AM
It worked very well. The rotis not so, although when pan fied they were wonderful. Just a few slices left to go into the traditional Monday Biryani.

Phew. I had visions of you falling headfirst into the thing. wd ti.

The Insider
04-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Phew. I had visions of you falling headfirst into the thing. wd ti.

TBH, I have quite a few burns on my forearms, mainly from rescuing the roti that wouldn't stick. In hindsight, I think that keeping the Tandoor cool enough to slow roast the Raan meant that it wasn't hot enough to make the rotis stick. Live and learn!