PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else play 8-bit computer games in the '80s? I've just downloaded a C64

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-30-2020, 09:45 AM
emulator.

I hadn't played any computer games since the late '80s, but the other day I turned my iPhone into a gamepad controller and downloaded a racing game called Asphalt. Finding the phone control tricky, I got a joystick yesterday.

I tried a few modern games, but in the end, downloaded a C64 emulator and played Dropzone. I thought it would look dodgy given a C64 screen is 320x200 bits and my 27" monitor is currently running and 3.2x1.8k.

But it's tops. And as the joystick has many buttons and can control the cloak and smart bomb from it as well. As a kid, I so wished we had joysticks with more than one fire button. And now, 30+ years later, I do. It's heaven. I feel like a teen again.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-30-2020, 10:36 AM
emulator.

I hadn't played any computer games since the late '80s, but the other day I turned my iPhone into a gamepad controller and downloaded a racing game called Asphalt. Finding the phone control tricky, I got a joystick yesterday.

of that.

. . . . .

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-30-2020, 11:53 AM
of that.

. . . . .

Middle class girlies like me could only live your life virtually, Herbs. In the safety of my bedroom, I played Microprose International Soccer, Codemasters' Multi-player Football Manager and Gremlin Graphics' Casual Hoolies.

The last game was great. You chose your team and then rucked with the opponents a bit like street fighter. As you progressed, you got extra clobber and bonus weapons like beer bottles, but the end of level baddie was a black maria full of fuzz. It was the first C64 game to have a speech sample just from the computer's sound chip. If you pressed the space bar, the music stopped and it said "Where's your fücking tool." It was ace.

Sir C
03-30-2020, 12:13 PM
emulator.

I tried a few modern games, but in the end, downloaded a C64 emulator and played Dropzone. I thought it would look dodgy given a C64 screen is 320x200 bits and my 27" monitor is currently running and 3.2x1.8k.

But it's tops. And as the joystick has many buttons and can control the cloak and smart bomb from it as well. As a kid, I so wished we had joysticks with more than one fire button. And now, 30+ years later, I do. It's heaven. I feel like a teen again.

I was 15 in 1980, so far too old for games.

Football and that fat Greek chick with the big hooter took up most of my time.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-30-2020, 12:17 PM

We wuz ruckin' up the Norf Bank w'unt we boy.

Sir C
03-30-2020, 12:24 PM
We wuz ruckin' up the Norf Bank w'unt we boy.

Well, stranding on the norf bank exhorting the Clock End to ‘do your job’, anyway.

Luis Anaconda
03-30-2020, 12:28 PM

Nana Mouskouri? I didn't know you knew her

Burney
03-30-2020, 12:30 PM

I'm imagining a sort of strategically-shaved Demis Roussos.

Luis Anaconda
03-30-2020, 12:32 PM
I'm imagining a sort of strategically-shaved Demis Roussos.

that just suggests self-isolation is really getting to you b

Burney
03-30-2020, 12:33 PM
that just suggests self-isolation is really getting to you b

It may be the fact that I'm running a temperature, too. :-(

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-30-2020, 12:38 PM

I've had it and what is worrying me is, it keeps coming back. It is mild but it won't totally let go. And that, "can't quite shake this cold thing" never happens to me.

Hold me b :cry:

Burney
03-30-2020, 12:41 PM
I've had it and what is worrying me is, it keeps coming back. It is mild but it won't totally let go. And that, "can't quite shake this cold thing" never happens to me.

Hold me b :cry:

I think that's quite common, h. The problem is that we keep thinking of it in flu or cold terms and it's not really like that. It's a whole new virus.

Thanks a bunch, China. :-(

Luis Anaconda
03-30-2020, 12:45 PM

Oh - hope it's not too bad. I heard vodka helps

Sir C
03-30-2020, 12:46 PM

Nana Mouskouri was quite the hottie, la. This chick was ugly but willing. So plenty good enough for me.

Sir C
03-30-2020, 12:48 PM
I think that's quite common, h. The problem is that we keep thinking of it in flu or cold terms and it's not really like that. It's a whole new virus.

Thanks a bunch, China. :-(

Meh. I had it in December. Nasty few days, then I manned up and kicked it in its virussy knackers.

Now I’m totes immune.

Burney
03-30-2020, 12:54 PM
Meh. I had it in December. Nasty few days, then I manned up and kicked it in its virussy knackers.

Now I’m totes immune.

Oh, well that's fine, then. You're OK. That will be a great comfort to me as I drown in my own lung juice.

Sir C
03-30-2020, 01:08 PM
Oh, well that's fine, then. You're OK. That will be a great comfort to me as I drown in my own lung juice.

I’m just suggesting that you act like a grown male and shrug it off. You’re not obese or anything, are you?