PDA

View Full Version : The Bosch seem to be holding up rather well...

7sisters
03-27-2020, 01:42 PM
50k cases with fewer than 400 stiffs..

I’m not really surprised if their motorway discipline towards the Rettungswagen is anything to go by...

Billy Goat Sverige
03-27-2020, 01:51 PM

I’m not really surprised if their motorway discipline towards the Rettungswagen is anything to go by...

They’re testing a lot more than other countries. There’s probably a lot more undetected cases in other countries which is why the cases to deaths ratio looks worse.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-27-2020, 02:01 PM

I see you lot are toughing it out with herd immunity Goats?

Billy Goat Sverige
03-27-2020, 02:10 PM
I see you lot are toughing it out with herd immunity Goats?

Yeah. A typically Swedish response. The fear of doing too much means they inevitably do very little. They introduced some tougher restrictions today by reducing the maximum number of people allowed at public events to 50 down from 500. This doesn’t include pubs, bars, restaurants etc. Schools are still open as well (for 1-14 year olds anyway). Our curve has levelled off a bit at the minute so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

7sisters
03-27-2020, 02:27 PM
They’re testing a lot more than other countries. There’s probably a lot more undetected cases in other countries which is why the cases to deaths ratio looks worse.

They’re farking cheating, as usual ...
Tweet from Brillo pad -
Not sure that necessarily follows, Pippa. Germany, I'm told, records as cause of death any underlying condition (if there is one) even if they had coronavirus. We record it as CV death if they had virus regardless of underlying conditions. See Prof Lee in The Spectator.

Luis Anaconda
03-27-2020, 02:32 PM
They’re farking cheating, as usual ...
Tweet from Brillo pad -
Not sure that necessarily follows, Pippa. Germany, I'm told, records as cause of death any underlying condition (if there is one) even if they had coronavirus. We record it as CV death if they had virus regardless of underlying conditions. See Prof Lee in The Spectator.
Actually not true but if it makes you happy :shrug:

Burney
03-27-2020, 03:13 PM

Here's the article, which doesn't say what Neil says it does, but does correctly point out that the idea that there can be wildly differing death rates in otherwise comparable countries is patently nonsensical.

This is the key quote:

The data on Covid-19 differs wildly from country to country. Look at the figures for Italy and Germany. At the time of writing, Italy has 69,176 recorded cases and 6,820 deaths, a rate of 9.9 per cent. Germany has 32,986 cases and 157 deaths, a rate of 0.5 per cent. Do we think that the strain of virus is so different in these nearby countries as to virtually represent different diseases? Or that the populations are so different in their susceptibility to the virus that the death rate can vary more than twentyfold? If not, we ought to suspect systematic error, that the Covid-19 data we are seeing from different countries is not directly comparable.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

Luis Anaconda
03-27-2020, 03:29 PM
Here's the article, which doesn't say what Neil says it does, but does correctly point out that the idea that there can be wildly differing death rates in otherwise comparable countries is patently nonsensical.

This is the key quote:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think
I would actually say that Italy is proving to be a quite spectacularly different case though - and the more thorough testing in Germany is contributing the difference in rates. That is an excellent article and much more nuanced read, as you say, than Neil made it out to be

Burney
03-27-2020, 03:44 PM
I would actually say that Italy is proving to be a quite spectacularly different case though - and the more thorough testing in Germany is contributing the difference in rates. That is an excellent article and much more nuanced read, as you say, than Neil made it out to be

Oh, there are certainly regional differences that may be as much to do with cultural factors as anything. There's not much doubt that southern Europe is having a worse go of it that northern Europe, which is very probably due to simple things like levels of tactility, the number of multi-generational households, greater proximity, etc. Equally, countries with high elderly muslim populations are seeing disproportionate death rates among them because of (again) multi-generational households, cultural and communal factors.

There are huge numbers of factors, but the points stands that direct comparisons are pretty meaningless.

7sisters
03-27-2020, 04:27 PM

Death ratios in various countries do not make me happy.
Just wanted to put that on the record for fear of doubt :thumbup:

Luis Anaconda
03-30-2020, 08:17 AM
Death ratios in various countries do not make me happy.
Just wanted to put that on the record for fear of doubt :thumbup:

Of course not, 7. Sorry to suggest otherwise.

Would point out this though

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1244235433694973952?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Burney
03-30-2020, 09:00 AM
Of course not, 7. Sorry to suggest otherwise.

Would point out this though

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1244235433694973952?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Also, I'd just like to point out - because it irritates the fúck out of me - that it's spelt 'Boche'.

Bosch is a manufacturing company. Or a Dutch painter.

Luis Anaconda
03-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Also, I'd just like to point out - because it irritates the fúck out of me - that it's spelt 'Boche'.

Bosch is a manufacturing company. Or a Dutch painter.

:hehe: Standards should be upheld even in these difficult times