PDA

View Full Version : I've been reading the experiences of those who've had the chinkyflu

Sir C
03-19-2020, 12:31 PM
and recovered, and I'm calling it now: I had this in the first week of December.

Symptoms, timing, recovery, everything identical. Yes, I know that's too early, but I'm telling you, I HAD IT.

If you wish to buy a drop of my immuneoblood, see my agent.

IUFG
03-19-2020, 12:36 PM

can't afford that, sc.

Talking of which, the prices of laptops, webcams and other home-working stuff appears to be heading north, if you have any spare.

Sir C
03-19-2020, 12:37 PM
can't afford that, sc.

Talking of which, the prices of laptops, webcams and other home-working stuff appears to be heading north, if you have any spare.

I don't really understand how anyone has a job to do, really. Everyone I know works in either the motor industry or the airline industry, and they're all sitting around scratching.

Burney
03-19-2020, 12:42 PM
I don't really understand how anyone has a job to do, really. Everyone I know works in either the motor industry or the airline industry, and they're all sitting around scratching.

I've discovered that our intra-office communication is actually much better when we don't have an office. People I've barely spoken to in two years are popping up on Microsoft Teams every five minutes to ask me some pain-in-the-arse question. It's fúcking irritating.

Burney
03-19-2020, 12:51 PM

I'm still wondering if this isn't a huge overreaction, to be honest. At the moment we seem to be proceeding on the basis that something that might kill half a million of - let's be brutal - our less productive people is worth tanking our entire economy for.
That's admirably humane of us in the short term, but I'm not convinced it's actually very sensible in a macro, long-term sense.

Unless, of course, it's potentially worse than they're letting on. :shrug:

Sir C
03-19-2020, 12:56 PM
I'm still wondering if this isn't a huge overreaction, to be honest. At the moment we seem to be proceeding on the basis that something that might kill half a million of - let's be brutal - our less productive people is worth tanking our entire economy for.
That's admirably humane of us in the short term, but I'm not convinced it's actually very sensible in a macro, long-term sense.

I'd imagine everyone has considered the potential benefits to the welfare system, and pensions in particular, of a tragic reduction in the population of olds - but few would dare admit to it.

In my experience it's really not so bad. I mean I was unpleasantly ill for 3 or 4 days, but only at 'nasty flu' levels, not 'I need an ambulance' levels.

I suppose I am young and fit, but still.

Monty92
03-19-2020, 01:04 PM

Regarding your final point, if it were the case that it's potentially worse than they're letting on, are there not likely to be too many agencies working on this who are external to government to avoid any doomsday info leaking out?

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Regarding your final point, if it were the case that it's potentially worse than they're letting on, are there not likely to be too many agencies working on this who are external to government to avoid any doomsday info leaking out?

Oh, sure. I'm not doing the conspiracy theory thing, I'm just trying to find a reason why this is being treated as it is when the demographics and mortality rates appear not to justify it.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-19-2020, 01:13 PM
and recovered, and I'm calling it now: I had this in the first week of December.

Symptoms, timing, recovery, everything identical. Yes, I know that's too early, but I'm telling you, I HAD IT.

If you wish to buy a drop of my immune blood, see my agent.

it in. Thought it was a mild Flu at one point then, for one night only, it got really vicious. Raging fever, dry cough, and aches in my jaw bones and shoulders unlike anything previously experienced. Nearly took myself to hospital.

Shouldn't we be telling Boris and how do we get in touch? You're a swivel, brexy lunatic c - he'll listen to you.

Pokster
03-19-2020, 01:15 PM

some of us have proper jobs

Pokster
03-19-2020, 01:16 PM
Oh, sure. I'm not doing the conspiracy theory thing, I'm just trying to find a reason why this is being treated as it is when the demographics and mortality rates appear not to justify it.

so 250k deaths are ok?

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:18 PM
it in. Thought it was a mild Flu at one point then, for one night only, it got really vicious. Raging fever, dry cough, and aches in my jaw bones and shoulders unlike anything previously experienced. Nearly took myself to hospital.

Shouldn't we be telling Boris and how do we get in touch? You're a swivel, brexy lunatic c - he'll listen to you.

Yes, but given your propensity for handling jobbies one would expect you to get all sorts of foul diseases, h. You've probably had the fúcking plague!

barrybueno
03-19-2020, 01:20 PM

When you look at it in those terms then it looks a massive overreaction. However all the countries involved are actually putting people before money here which I never thought I'd ever see. I think we've probably got this just about right at the moment, would be thousands more deaths if most of the population caught this around the same time.

Got any spare bog roll?

Monty92
03-19-2020, 01:20 PM
so 250k deaths are ok?

The global economy going down the sh*tter will ultimately kill more.

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:21 PM
so 250k deaths are ok?

:sigh: No, p. No deaths are 'OK'. But the fact is that profoundly distasteful calculations have to be made in situations like this. And one of those calculations is what the long-term cost in lives and livelihoods will be of bringing the global economy to a virtual standstill for an indefinite period. We have to make a judgement about which is the lesser of two evils here.

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:25 PM
When you look at it in those terms then it looks a massive overreaction. However all the countries involved are actually putting people before money here which I never thought I'd ever see. I think we've probably got this just about right at the moment, would be thousands more deaths if most of the population caught this around the same time.

Got any spare bog roll?

That's all very touching, b, but the fact is that you can't separate people and money as if one had nothing to do with the other. It's like trying to separate blood and organs.

Deprioritising money will have a savage negative effect on people as they lose jobs, homes, businesses, etc. That means less tax income and less effective public services, which means - you guessed it - more dead people.

To be honest, my more cynical view is that in these days of instant communications, social media, cameraphones, etc, it's not politically possible for a government to be seen to preside over large numbers of deaths in the short term without being seen to do apparently radical things to try and prevent them - even if it what they do is massively harmful in the longer term.

Maravilloso Marvo
03-19-2020, 01:28 PM

You are most definitely not the first person I personally know that has said this. I did see a response to one that yes, you may have had a virus in December, yes you may have even had a coronavirus in December, but it is more probable that it wasn't the Covid 19 strain that is taking over the world now. Let's not forget coronavirus has been around for a long time, it is the special characteristics of this strain that are causing the reactions we are seeing.

Monty92
03-19-2020, 01:29 PM
That's all very touching, b, but the fact is that you can't separate people and money as if one had nothing to do with the other. It's like trying to separate blood and organs.

Deprioritising money will have a savage negative effect on people as they lose jobs, homes, businesses, etc. That means less tax income and less effective public services, which means - you guessed it - more dead people.

Awwwww, a Tory suddenly caring about the quality of public services for the most vulnerable. How quaint.

:-p

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-19-2020, 01:29 PM
Yes, but given your propensity for handling jobbies one would expect you to get all sorts of foul diseases, h. You've probably had the fúcking plague!

Are you suggesting that your own mother doesn't keep her jobbie gear clean b?

Pokster
03-19-2020, 01:32 PM
The global economy going down the sh*tter will ultimately kill more.

250k was in this country, the economy going down the pan wouldn't kill 250k in the UK

Globally it is millions, so would you be happy with that?

Pat Vegas
03-19-2020, 01:32 PM

I'd say it's been around longer than they think and loads of people have had it. And then we'll find out this drama was all a waste of time.

Pokster
03-19-2020, 01:33 PM
:sigh: No, p. No deaths are 'OK'. But the fact is that profoundly distasteful calculations have to be made in situations like this. And one of those calculations is what the long-term cost in lives and livelihoods will be of bringing the global economy to a virtual standstill for an indefinite period. We have to make a judgement about which is the lesser of two evils here.

Economy is the lesser of 2 evils,

Pat Vegas
03-19-2020, 01:34 PM

I will miss my 2 big monitors though. I am going to steal them.

Monty92
03-19-2020, 01:34 PM
250k was in this country, the economy going down the pan wouldn't kill 250k in the UK

Err, many critics of the Tories like to claim that "10 years of austerity" has killed hundreds of thousands in the UK. And that level of austerity is likely to be dwarfed as a result of this malarky.

Pat Vegas
03-19-2020, 01:35 PM

But will the current measures actually fix the situation. or just prolong it indefinately?

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:36 PM

Please stop trying to frame it as though people making a rational calculation are 'happy' for people to die. It's cheap and unfair.

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:37 PM

Well I'm glad that you're so certain. I wish I could be.

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Err, many critics of the Tories like to claim that "10 years of austerity" has killed hundreds of thousands in the UK. And that level of austerity is likely to be dwarfed as a result of this malarky.

Don't forget to add in the cost of the damage to the fabric of society, breakdowns in law and order, etc that we're already starting to see.

barrybueno
03-19-2020, 01:40 PM

To be honest, my more cynical view is that in these days of instant communications, social media, cameraphones, etc, it's not politically possible for a government to be seen to preside over large numbers of deaths in the short term without being seen to do apparently radical things to try and prevent them - even if it what they do is massively harmful in the longer term.

I think that financial ship may have already sailed tbh, not sure we'll get the green light to all go back to normal anytime soon. We're looking at a world recession (again) maybe we won't come back from this one. :-(

Glad I'm not part of the government, the economy v peoples lives, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Monty92
03-19-2020, 01:40 PM
Don't forget to add in the cost of the damage to the fabric of society, breakdowns in law and order, etc that we're already starting to see.

Natch.

But have we seen breakdowns in law and order yet? We're not eve in lockdown yet! :yikes:

Burney
03-19-2020, 01:43 PM
Natch.

But have we seen breakdowns in law and order yet? We're not eve in lockdown yet! :yikes:

No, but it's early days. The panic buying will most negatively affect the weakest in society, so you'll probably start to see frail old people dying of malnutrition or being crushed in supermarket stampedes soon.

Pokster
03-19-2020, 01:44 PM

even if it is hundreds of thousands, it has been spread out... if we do nothing and this kills 250k in a fairly short space of time then the NHS will break and where does that leave us long term.

Also, your beloved Boris wouldn't get a vote in 4 yrs if he did nothing

Pokster
Well I'm glad that you're so certain. I wish I could be.

yes, but you are a miserable bugger at the best of times

Burney
I think that financial ship may have already sailed tbh, not sure we'll get the green light to all go back to normal anytime soon. We're looking at a world recession (again) maybe we won't come back from this one. :-(

Glad I'm not part of the government, the economy v peoples lives, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yes. There'll be spikes in suicides, violent crimes and murders, of course. There always are.

Sir C
03-19-2020, 03:02 PM
some of us have proper jobs

Well congratulations. I'm extremely happy for you.

Pokster
03-19-2020, 03:15 PM
Well congratulations. I'm extremely happy for you.

Thanks, as I wont be able to retire now

Sir C
03-19-2020, 03:17 PM
Thanks, as I wont be able to retire now

I'll be retiring, I just won't have much of an income :shrug:

Fúck it, I'm beyond caring now.

dismalswamp
03-19-2020, 10:01 PM

ifyoulikealotofchocolateonyourbiscuit