PDA

View Full Version : CowboyBuildersWimb: Currently renting in a new build house (2018) and have an offer

Monty92
03-10-2020, 09:56 AM
agreed with the developer, mortgage in place and scheduled to exchange & complete within the next two weeks.

Got a surveyor round yesterday (nearly didn't bother as it's a new build) and he identified various issues, among which was a large section of uneven brickwork on an exterior wall, indicating either that the house has slipped (unlikely), or that it was shoddy brickwork in the first place (most likely)

The house has a 10-year structural warranty, meaning that the above issue has been signed off by Building Control but also by a building inspector working for the warranty company.

But...what happens if we try to resell it in the future and a surveyor identifies the same issue?

Is this the kind of thing that could jeapordise a future sale, even if the house has passed all the relevant regulatory requirements? Or are we being melodramatic?

Sir C
03-10-2020, 09:58 AM
agreed with the developer, mortgage in place and scheduled to exchange & complete within the next two weeks.

Got a surveyor round yesterday (nearly didn't bother as it's a new build) and he identified various issues, among which was a large section of uneven brickwork on an exterior wall, indicating either that the house has slipped (unlikely), or that it was shoddy brickwork in the first place (most likely)

The house has a 10-year structural warranty, meaning that the above issue has been signed off by Building Control but also by a building inspector working for the warranty company.

But...what happens if we try to resell it in the future and a surveyor identifies the same issue?

Is this the kind of thing that could jeapordise a future sale, even if the house has passed all the relevant regulatory requirements? Or are we being melodramatic?

"Is the fact that my house is falling down likely to affect its resale value?"

Yes.

Pat Vegas
03-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Rent boy 10 characters

Monty92
03-10-2020, 10:05 AM
"Is the fact that my house is falling down likely to affect its resale value?"

Yes.

Don't worry, it's only the biggest financial decision of my life and the security and happiness of my children at stake.

Sir C
03-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Don't worry, it's only the biggest financial decision of my life and the security and happiness of my children at stake.

You realise that we're all about to die of the bad chinkyflu, don't you?

Pat Vegas
03-10-2020, 10:09 AM

Strangely the largest purchases in my life have usually been ones where I spent very little time in thinking about it.

Car's I've bought on a spur of the moment and the flat I made an offer the day after I saw it.

Pokster
03-10-2020, 10:10 AM

The fact you nearly didn't bother getting a surveyor round shows you shouldn't be left to make any big financial decisions.
It's a house not an investment, only you can decide....you could always ask the surveyor what he thinks

Monty92
03-10-2020, 10:15 AM
The fact you nearly didn't bother getting a surveyor round shows you shouldn't be left to make any big financial decisions.
It's a house not an investment, only you can decide....you could always ask the surveyor what he thinks

You'd buy a house that was potentially unsellable?

The surveyor seems to think it was shoddy brickwork, but that it would be difficult to prove to future buyers that it hasn't slipped.

Pokster
03-10-2020, 10:59 AM
You'd buy a house that was potentially unsellable?

The surveyor seems to think it was shoddy brickwork, but that it would be difficult to prove to future buyers that it hasn't slipped.

I don't know if it potentially unsellable as i haven't seen it and have no idea what it is like. That is why you get a surveyor who will sday what it is worth.

It's a new build so I would never buy it anyway :)

Sir C
03-10-2020, 11:05 AM
I don't know if it potentially unsellable as i haven't seen it and have no idea what it is like. That is why you get a surveyor who will sday what it is worth.

It's a new build so I would never buy it anyway :)

I want this won. Plenty of room for my ponies.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75974839.html

Pokster
03-10-2020, 11:09 AM

Looks very nice, decorate a couple of the rooms and I'd be all over that .... if I had the extra money to buy it of course

Sir C
03-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Looks very nice, decorate a couple of the rooms and I'd be all over that .... if I had the extra money to buy it of course

Actually that's the wrong one. I've got my eye on a similar-ish looking one with 4 acres and a stable block.

Pokster
03-10-2020, 11:12 AM
Actually that's the wrong one. I've got my eye on a similar-ish looking one with 4 acres and a stable block.

Stock market crash might delay the retirement a bit though :(

Sir C
03-10-2020, 11:15 AM
Stock market crash might delay the retirement a bit though :(

:-( Cheer me up, why don't you?

Mind you, I remembered a lump of cash sitting in a savings account and popped that into a unit trust yesterday, so by this time next week I'll be rich, RICH I TELL YOU!

barrybueno
03-10-2020, 12:04 PM
Strangely the largest purchases in my life have usually been ones where I spent very little time in thinking about it.

Car's I've bought on a spur of the moment and the flat I made an offer the day after I saw it.

Despite what everyone advises I've always bought the first car I've looked at (most of the time with no expert help at hand) and I bought my flat on a Saturday morning with a complete ******* of a hangover, paid the asking price too.

In my defence property prices were going mental at the time and of course I did have a survey done so no real risk.

Luis Anaconda
03-10-2020, 12:07 PM

and guests I hope

barrybueno
03-10-2020, 12:19 PM

This is what I'm talking about C >

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-68806686.html

It's 2m wide ffs :hehe: Even for a cottage that must be a world record. As my mate said that's not a house width that's a hallway.

And the washing machine is in the fúcking garden!

Sir C
03-10-2020, 12:24 PM
This is what I'm talking about C >

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-68806686.html

It's 2m wide ffs :hehe: Even for a cottage that must be a world record. As my mate said that's not a house width that's a hallway.

And the washing machine is in the fúcking garden!

That looks rather charming, b. Nice and cheap to heat, as well!

barrybueno
03-10-2020, 12:54 PM
That looks rather charming, b. Nice and cheap to heat, as well!

Well if you say so C I might take it on, only need it for 6 months in theory so I could live with its little foibles. Might have to watch my telly in a portrait stylee tho in that frontroom :hehe:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Monty! You need to pull your finger out of your arse and show some due diligence. First imagine that when you come to sell the house the buyer is, how shall we say, one of your lot. He sees defective brickwork and an opportunity to screw down the sale price - what would you do?

Have you properly and fully had the sale scrutinized by your own independent solicitor. Many new builds in the last 20 years have managed to dupe buyers into signing into onerous road maintenance contracts. The key here is to ensure the council have taken on ownership of the roads i.e they are public and not private. These contracts are contrived to have you paying thousands within 50 years so in your case your kids will inherit nothing but an unassailable maintenance fee.

How do they sneak these deals by you? One of the their favorite tricks is to offer you a free legal service with their lawyer. This is good because he is a property expert you see? And you are a dopey cyunt because he is in on the scam.

You're jewish for fuxake so start acting like one and report back to this thread when you have properly studied the paperwork.

7sisters
03-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Nice little drum but can I ask what happens when you’re too old to drive and the nearest Nisa is ten miles away, Hmmmm ? You need to consider this stuff at your age..

Sir C
03-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Nice little drum but can I ask what happens when you’re too old to drive and the nearest Nisa is ten miles away, Hmmmm ? You need to consider this stuff at your age..

Younger wife, innit. :thumbup:

Anyway, I've got 30 years until I'm too old to drive. Probably more.

Maravilloso Marvo
03-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Younger wife, innit. :thumbup:

Anyway, I've got 30 years until I'm too old to drive. Probably more.

Besides we'll have autonomous driving by then anyway. Just tell your Tesla where you want to go and it will do the rest whilst you give yourself a well deserved rest.