PDA

View Full Version : Am I right to assume that the risk with booking any travel for the coming months will

Monty92
03-05-2020, 09:27 AM
be cancelled flights due to unsold seats, rather than sitting in a metal tube breathing in everyone's air?

I'm due to go to Cyprus in late May for my son to attend a football camp run by tongue-wielding cripple Jack 'Jackie' Wilshere. He's going to have a massive f*cking paddy if I have to tell him we can't go :-(

My son, not Jack.

Burney
03-05-2020, 09:33 AM
be cancelled flights due to unsold seats, rather than sitting in a metal tube breathing in everyone's air?

I'm due to go to Cyprus in late May for my son to attend a football camp run by tongue-wielding cripple Jack 'Jackie' Wilshere. He's going to have a massive f*cking paddy if I have to tell him we can't go :-(

My son, not Jack.

To be honest, once the thing is properly loose, there's going to be no point not flying or travelling abroad because it's likely to be everywhere anyway.

Late May should be fine, though. We're likely to be past the worst by then.

Monty92
03-05-2020, 09:38 AM
To be honest, once the thing is properly loose, there's going to be no point not flying or travelling abroad because it's likely to be everywhere anyway.

Late May should be fine, though. We're likely to be past the worst by then.

Really? I thought we were now likely to enter the 'delay' phase after failing to contain the thing, which would involve attempting to push back the virus's peak into the summer months when the NHS will be better able to cope.

Burney
03-05-2020, 09:47 AM
Really? I thought we were now likely to enter the 'delay' phase after failing to contain the thing, which would involve attempting to push back the virus's peak into the summer months when the NHS will be better able to cope.

Sure, but that shouldn't affect foreign travel. The CMO said the other day that there was no point restricting overseas travel plans unless you're travelling to a hotspot since there's no more danger most places than there is here.

Monty92
03-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Sure, but that shouldn't affect foreign travel. The CMO said the other day that there was no point restricting overseas travel plans unless you're travelling to a hotspot since there's no more danger most places than there is here.

Well you said we're likely to be past the worst by late May, but now seem to agree that the peak may not come until June/July/August :shrug:

Monty92
03-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Well you said we're likely to be past the worst by late May, but now seem to agree that the peak may not come until June/July/August :shrug:

Also, surely a key consideration regarding travel will continue to be where you'd rather be if/when you catch it. There may be no more risk of catching it in Cyprus than the UK by that point, but I know where I'd rather be treated.

Burney
03-05-2020, 09:57 AM

There are suggestions that better weather will be a major factor in driving down cases. One would expect May to see the higher temperatures that usually help restrict the spread of other viral respiratory illnesses. It's not unreasonable (although not certain) to think that this will also be the case in this instance.

Burney
03-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Also, surely a key consideration regarding travel will continue to be where you'd rather be if/when you catch it. There may be no more risk of catching it in Cyprus than the UK by that point, but I know where I'd rather be treated.

Sure, but another way of looking at it is that, given the likely temperatures in Cyprus in May, you may also be better there than here.

Also, you're a healthy man in your late 30s, you're comfortably in the lowest risk percentile even if you do get it. If you were old or a severe asthmatic or a pregnant woman, you might have something to worry about.

Pull yourself together.

Monty92
03-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Sure, but another way of looking at it is that, given the likely temperatures in Cyprus in May, you may also be better there than here.

Also, you're a healthy man in your late 30s, you're comfortably in the lowest risk percentile even if you do get it. If you were old or a severe asthmatic or a pregnant woman, you might have something to worry about.

Pull yourself together.

I'm only worried about having to tell my son he can't go to this football camp, and was trying to determine the likelihood of this. As I said in my original post, my sense is that the biggest risk is that our flight is cancelled.

I'm not concerned about getting it myself, although I would suggest you're being a little blasé about the risk of healthy, strapping young men like me inadvertently passing it onto elderly relatives.

Sir C
03-05-2020, 10:09 AM

My son, not Jack.

Airlines going mechuleh might well be another issue.

Sadly, Easyjet and Ryanair are likely to survive. :-(

Sir C
03-05-2020, 10:11 AM
I'm only worried about having to tell my son he can't go to this football camp, and was trying to determine the likelihood of this. As I said in my original post, my sense is that the biggest risk is that our flight is cancelled.

I'm not concerned about getting it myself, although I would suggest you're being a little blasé about the risk of healthy, strapping young men like me inadvertently passing it onto elderly relatives.

If we lost 10% of our over 80s would that really be, (on a purely pragmatic level) such a bad thing? Consider the boost to the welfare budget, for a start. :shrug:

Burney

The old will just have to take their chances, I'm afraid. The risk of imminent death is part of the deal of getting old and they must accept that nature wants their arse. Same goes for the weak and infirm.

Monty92

I think we are flying BA.

Burney
03-05-2020, 10:13 AM
If we lost 10% of our over 80s would that really be, (on a purely pragmatic level) such a bad thing? Consider the boost to the welfare budget, for a start. :shrug:

Also, can you imagine all moaning out of the second referendum lot if loads of oldsters died after Brexit's already happened? :hehe:

Sir C
03-05-2020, 10:16 AM
I think we are flying BA.

You might want to keep an eye on IAG's share price then.

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2020, 10:49 AM
Also, can you imagine all moaning out of the second referendum lot if loads of oldsters died after Brexit's already happened? :hehe:

:hehe: I knew you would get Brexit in there somewhere

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2020, 10:51 AM

I'm actually flying Lufthansa tomorrow - they are complete pussies, cancelling flights left right and centre

Monty92
03-05-2020, 10:58 AM
I'm actually flying Lufthansa tomorrow - they are complete pussies, cancelling flights left right and centre

Why pussies? They'll be cancelling flights to avoid flying with half empty planes.

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Why pussies? They'll be cancelling flights to avoid flying with half empty planes.

what about the half that are booked on and still want to travel?

Pat Vegas
03-05-2020, 11:04 AM

My son, not Jack.

Indeed this is correct,

IUFG
03-05-2020, 11:04 AM

www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/98438/coronavirus-germany-bans-export-of-medical-protective-equipment/

So they'll not supply other EU countries? isn't this against EU regulations?

Sir C
03-05-2020, 11:06 AM

How about if they calculated the cost of the flight and split that amount evenly amongst the ones who wished to travel? That would be fair.

Monty92
03-05-2020, 11:06 AM

It's a commercial decision, is the point.

Sir C
03-05-2020, 11:07 AM
www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/98438/coronavirus-germany-bans-export-of-medical-protective-equipment/

They have banned the 'export' of the stuff, i. A movement or sale within the EU is not an 'export'.

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Would have thought so. For some reason that has reminded me to do my tax return though **FREEMONEYTHATWASMINEINTHEFIRSTPLACE**

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2020, 11:10 AM
How about if they calculated the cost of the flight and split that amount evenly amongst the ones who wished to travel? That would be fair.

As long as they said up front that if the flight is not full you have to pay more than fine. If I buy a train ticket I don't have to pay more on an empty journey. Or you on your buses - all the same in the long run

IUFG
03-05-2020, 11:13 AM
They have banned the 'export' of the stuff, i. A movement or sale within the EU is not an 'export'.

that depends on the definition of export, sc.

the stuff our company sells to RoI is considered an 'export' by HMRC. And was so when we were fully paid up EU members.

Luis Anaconda
It's a commercial decision, is the point.

I understand that but do you think, say, Arsenal should stop playing matches because the stadium is half empty. Which is why I say they are pussies - if the government was stopping them then fine. In the long run people will think twice about booking with an unreliable carrier

Sir C
that depends on the definition of export, sc.

the stuff our company sells to RoI is considered an 'export' by HMRC. And was so when we were fully paid up EU members.

Is it in bond?

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Is it in bond?

Delayed by six months?

IUFG
03-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Is it in bond?

it is considered a 'restricted good'

but then, so are 'medical devices'

IUFG
03-05-2020, 11:26 AM