PDA

View Full Version : Mo Farah's already thin story is now basically falling apart.

Burney
02-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Which is a good time to bring this rather droll piece to people's attention.

https://bsixsmith.wordpress.com/2019/10/07/in-defence-of-mo-farah/

Luis Anaconda
02-24-2020, 10:20 AM

Droll? Tedious, sub-WESian sarcasm if you ask me

Luis Anaconda
02-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Oh and he writes poems.

Burney
02-24-2020, 10:23 AM

la, will you please get out of the road when I'm trying to wind up pokster?

Honestly! :rolleyes:

Luis Anaconda
02-24-2020, 10:26 AM

:hide: Isn't he always wound up

Sir C
02-24-2020, 10:35 AM

The A66 is closed between Penrith and Appleby. He's probably stuck in a snowdrift.

Burney
02-24-2020, 10:42 AM
The A66 is closed between Penrith and Appleby. He's probably stuck in a snowdrift.

The best bit of the A66 is the bit just as you go past Bassenthwaite. FACT.

Sir C
02-24-2020, 10:47 AM
The best bit of the A66 is the bit just as you go past Bassenthwaite. FACT.

The best thing about the A66 is Cafe 66. Almost a warm welcome and a hearty breakfast at a very reasonable price.

I've been looking at houses round Appleby way, actually... and I've always hankered after a Georgian rectory...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57413982.html

Burney
02-24-2020, 10:50 AM
The best thing about the A66 is Cafe 66. Almost a warm welcome and a hearty breakfast at a very reasonable price.

I've been looking at houses round Appleby way, actually... and I've always hankered after a Georgian rectory...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57413982.html

They did well for themselves, Georgian rectors, didn't they?

Careful, though. There's a slight danger of you accidentally catching sight of another human being from that place.

Sir C
02-24-2020, 10:55 AM
They did well for themselves, Georgian rectors, didn't they?

Careful, though. There's a slight danger of you accidentally catching sight of another human being from that place.

:nod: Realistically it's too big - imagine the maintenance costs! And it's not really isolated enough. Still, it's a nice example of what you get for your money. LOTS!

Burney
02-24-2020, 10:58 AM
:nod: Realistically it's too big - imagine the maintenance costs! And it's not really isolated enough. Still, it's a nice example of what you get for your money. LOTS!

:nod: Also, that bath would have to come out. It's minging.

Pokster
02-24-2020, 11:21 AM

Pah! NEVER missed a days work because of weather....took me 90 mins instead of the usual 30 today

Pokster
02-24-2020, 11:28 AM

WES could have written that (might have needed help with the English spelling of words)

Burney
02-24-2020, 11:34 AM
WES could have written that (might have needed help with the English spelling of words)

It's all true, though. Sooner or later, you're going to have to face up to the fact that - in common with half our 2012 medallists, to be fair -he's a dirty cheat.

Pokster
02-24-2020, 11:56 AM
It's all true, though. Sooner or later, you're going to have to face up to the fact that - in common with half our 2012 medallists, to be fair -he's a dirty cheat.

When it is proven I will hold my hands up...

WES
02-24-2020, 03:09 PM

Hold on - I seem to recall you defending Usain Bolt when I pointed out that he was a blatant drug cheat as well.

The evidence against Usain is no less compelling than that against Farah.

Mind you, the best solution is to simply treat athletics and cycling with the disdain they deserve. I just don't pay attention to them at all because the cheating is so obvious. Not that I ever paid attention to cycling anyway.

Burney
02-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Hold on - I seem to recall you defending Usain Bolt when I pointed out that he was a blatant drug cheat as well.

The evidence against Usain is no less compelling than that against Farah.

Mind you, the best solution is to simply treat athletics and cycling with the disdain they deserve. I just don't pay attention to them at all because the cheating is so obvious. Not that I ever paid attention to cycling anyway.

No, I didn't. It's long been my assumption that anyone who rises to the top in athletics is doping. It stands to reason that they must be. :shrug:

I did once point out that, rather suspiciously, he - the incredibly high-profile poster boy for international athletics - was the only member of the Jamaican 4x100m team who hadn't been busted for doping.

WES
02-24-2020, 03:46 PM
No, I didn't. It's long been my assumption that anyone who rises to the top in athletics is doping. It stands to reason that they must be. :shrug:

I did once point out that, rather suspiciously, he - the incredibly high-profile poster boy for international athletics - was the only member of the Jamaican 4x100m team who hadn't been busted for doping.

Ah, well my apologies then. It was probably Pokster. Bless him.

Whilst I don't give a toss about athletics anymore so am indifferent to the cheating, what does grate is the hypocrisy of those that do or did.

Watching Michael Johnson on BBC being holier than thou is particularly irritating. He was pumped full of them when he ran 19.32 and everyone knows it. Cheating c*nt.

Burney
02-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Whilst I don't give a toss about athletics anymore so am indifferent to the cheating, what does grate is the hypocrisy of those that do or did.

Watching Michael Johnson on BBC being holier than thou is particularly irritating. He was pumped full of them when he ran 19.32 and everyone knows it. Cheating c*nt.

Well I can understand the feeling of panic among those at the higher echelons of the sport, as they can see their livelihoods disappearing the minute they're forced to admit that their sport is basically meaningless.
But then I find the persistent refusal to even acknowledge that there even might be an issue in a sport that offers the rewards that football does even funnier.
And as for rugby, where huge men with extraordinary musculatures and oddly-shaped heads are routinely running the hundred in even time for 80 minutes while absorbing savage impacts... :hehe:

Pokster
02-25-2020, 08:37 AM

Well I have never mentioned Bolt in any way, so please respect me when I say **** off :vsign:

Burney
02-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Well I have never mentioned Bolt in any way, so please respect me when I say **** off :vsign:

What? Never? Not even to say 'That Usain Bolt is a properly fast runner' or whatever?

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
02-25-2020, 10:03 AM
It's peculiar how choosey people tend to be when deciding to back or not back a drug cheat. Look at last weekend for instance. Nobody gave a toss that Tyson Fury, a proven renowned drug cheat beat the bejesus out of that black lad. Don't get me wrong, the other chap was drugged up too and easily proved with being 34 and putting on a kilo of muscle since the last fight while still showing a dry six pack. Something that is simply impossible. He would have maxed out his natural muscle growth rate years ago.

Burney
02-25-2020, 10:12 AM
It's peculiar how choosey people tend to be when deciding to back or not back a drug cheat. Look at last weekend for instance. Nobody gave a toss that Tyson Fury, a proven renowned drug cheat beat the bejesus out of that black lad. Don't get me wrong, the other chap was drugged up too and easily proved with being 34 and putting on a kilo of muscle since the last fight while still showing a dry six pack. Something that is simply impossible. He would have maxed out his natural muscle growth rate years ago.

Well in boxing I just assume they're all at it, so it doesn't really matter, does it?

Pokster
02-25-2020, 10:17 AM
What? Never? Not even to say 'That Usain Bolt is a properly fast runner' or whatever?

You know what I mean you pedantic ****oid :)

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
02-25-2020, 10:18 AM
Well in boxing I just assume they're all at it, so it doesn't really matter, does it?

I'd imagine 99% of boxers, cyclists and running fellas are on it.

Tbh any boxer not on gear would be a retarded spastic. At the end of the day your putting your life on the line each fight plus you have to sell yourself as a superhuman specimen to sell your brand anyway.

Burney
02-25-2020, 10:22 AM
I'd imagine 99% of boxers, cyclists and running fellas are on it.

Tbh any boxer not on gear would be a retarded spastic. At the end of the day your putting your life on the line each fight plus you have to sell yourself as a superhuman specimen to sell your brand anyway.

Absolutely. The only place where I actually have a problem with it is in sports where some are using and others aren't.

Pokster
02-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Absolutely. The only place where I actually have a problem with it is in sports where some are using and others aren't.

How does one ever know though??? Unless people are being found out you will never know how much usage there is.

Jessica Ennis was accused by WES of being a drug taker as she beat the Russians who were cheating, if that is the natural perception then there is no chance of ever getting to the bottom of it

Burney
02-25-2020, 10:36 AM
How does one ever know though??? Unless people are being found out you will never know how much usage there is.

Jessica Ennis was accused by WES of being a drug taker as she beat the Russians who were cheating, if that is the natural perception then there is no chance of ever getting to the bottom of it

Well it stands to reason that, given a relatively level playing field of sporting excellence where the differences can be measured in millimetres, that a doped athlete will always beat a clean athlete. It therefore follows that those who regularly win against doped athletes are themselves doping. :shrug:

By the way, was the reference to 'bottom' in a post about Jessica Ennis deliberate?

Pokster
02-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Well it stands to reason that, given a relatively level playing field of sporting excellence where the differences can be measured in millimetres, that a doped athlete will always beat a clean athlete. It therefore follows that those who regularly win against doped athletes are themselves doping. :shrug:

By the way, was the reference to 'bottom' in a post about Jessica Ennis deliberate?

Yes to the bottom part :-D

In her defence, a sport where technique is such a huge part of her success, I would suggest an athlete taking drugs would have less impact on an overall score than in a straight race.

Obviously taking drugs does improve an athletes performance, but to say a drugged athlete will always beat a clean athlete assumes that the drugged athlete was already in the top 4 or 5 in the world wouldn't it?

Burney
02-25-2020, 10:57 AM
Yes to the bottom part :-D

In her defence, a sport where technique is such a huge part of her success, I would suggest an athlete taking drugs would have less impact on an overall score than in a straight race.

Obviously taking drugs does improve an athletes performance, but to say a drugged athlete will always beat a clean athlete assumes that the drugged athlete was already in the top 4 or 5 in the world wouldn't it?

The athletes are in the top 4 or 5 based on innate characteristics. After all, you can't just take a course of injections and become the best pentathlete in the world, can you? Notwithstanding that you've cheated, you still have to work incredibly hard at your sport to climb that high. The dedication, discipline and mentality required to do that sets these athletes apart and are what propel them into the top 4 or 5 in the world. The drugs are just what push them over the line.

Pokster
02-25-2020, 11:05 AM
The athletes are in the top 4 or 5 based on innate characteristics. After all, you can't just take a course of injections and become the best pentathlete in the world, can you? Notwithstanding that you've cheated, you still have to work incredibly hard at your sport to climb that high. The dedication, discipline and mentality required to do that sets these athletes apart and are what propel them into the top 4 or 5 in the world. The drugs are just what push them over the line.

But to say someone must be on drugs because they beat someone who is on drugs is just plain wrong. A technical sport (such as pentathlon) doesn't rely on pure speed or strength as much as an individual one

Burney
02-25-2020, 11:16 AM
But to say someone must be on drugs because they beat someone who is on drugs is just plain wrong. A technical sport (such as pentathlon) doesn't rely on pure speed or strength as much as an individual one

I don't say they 'must' be on drugs, simply that doing so massively increases the likelihood that they are.