PDA

View Full Version : Any of you fcukers got any last minute marathon advice?

Maravilloso Marvo
02-18-2020, 04:21 PM
I've turned 40 and as my wife and two children mean I can't afford a sports car, I've opted to run a marathon for my mid life crisis. This Sunday I will be in Seville with 14,000 other people running 26.2 miles as quickly as possible.

So how about it AWIMB? Apart from don't do it, do you have any advice to offer me?

PSRB
02-18-2020, 04:24 PM
I've turned 40 and as my wife and two children mean I can't afford a sports car, I've opted to run a marathon for my mid life crisis. This Sunday I will be in Seville with 14,000 other people running 26.2 miles as quickly as possible.

So how about it AWIMB? Apart from don't do it, do you have any advice to offer me?

23C, lots of water and take your time. Know 2 people who've done themselves serious damage doing the London one.

Oh, glwtp

IUFG
02-18-2020, 04:24 PM

will there be plenty of defibrillators en route, m?

Maravilloso Marvo
02-18-2020, 04:25 PM
will there be plenty of defibrillators en route, m?

I've generally found you only need one. I mean its not like they let you carry on with the race after using one, is it?

Maravilloso Marvo
02-18-2020, 04:26 PM
23C, lots of water and take your time. Know 2 people who've done themselves serious damage doing the London one.

Oh, glwtp

23C once the day is at it's hottest. 11C when it starts at 8:30. I'll be done by midday and enjoying a beer in the shade.

IUFG
02-18-2020, 04:26 PM
I've generally found you only need one. I mean its not like they let you carry on with the race after using one, is it?

well, you don't want to be 13 miles from the nearest one, m...

Maravilloso Marvo
02-18-2020, 04:28 PM
well, you don't want to be 13 miles from the nearest one, m...

You think I will make it that far? Thanks for your confidence IUFG.

IUFG
02-18-2020, 04:30 PM
You think I will make it that far? Thanks for your confidence IUFG.

I'm sure you'll breeze it, m.

Without incident. Apart from the chafing and the bleeding nipples.

Get some Glide.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61XELiHRF4L._AC_SY879_.jpg

PSRB
02-18-2020, 04:31 PM
23C once the day is at it's hottest. 11C when it starts at 8:30. I'll be done by midday and enjoying a beer in the shade.

3 1/2 hours, impressive. Not that you'll actually start at 8.30, probably take 30 minutes to actually start, so you'll be finishing off in the heat of the midday sun :thumbup:

Maravilloso Marvo
02-18-2020, 04:32 PM
I'm sure you'll breeze it, m.

Without incident. Apart from the chafing and the bleeding nipples.

Get some Glide.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61XELiHRF4L._AC_SY879_.jpg

Already got it and although I have used it a few times, to check it out sort of thing, I have not had a single bit of chafing or bleeding nipples in over 550 miles of training in the last 16 weeks. I will whack a load on for Sunday though, just to be sure.

Maravilloso Marvo
02-18-2020, 04:33 PM
3 1/2 hours, impressive. Not that you'll actually start at 8.30, probably take 30 minutes to actually start, so you'll be finishing off in the heat of the midday sun :thumbup:

I also won't be doing it in 3 1/2 hours to be fair. I've trained for 3:45 and yes as you say by the time I actually get away, it will be more like 9 so I will be out there until near enough 1pm. I should probably pack some sun cream.

IUFG
02-18-2020, 04:37 PM
I should probably pack some sun cream.

it'll sweat off.

you'll be as pink as a lobster by the evening, m

Maravilloso Marvo
02-18-2020, 04:48 PM
it'll sweat off.

you'll be as pink as a lobster by the evening, m

I have some pretty olive skin anyway thanks to my Itie heritage. I think I can take a few hours in the February sun.

IUFG
02-18-2020, 07:48 PM
I have some pretty olive skin anyway thanks to my Itie heritage. I think I can take a few hours in the February sun.

Good luck with the run, m :thumbup:

barrybueno
02-18-2020, 08:04 PM

Dont do it you stoopid **** :wave:

Maravilloso Marvo
02-19-2020, 08:11 AM
Dont do it you stoopid **** :wave:

:thumbup:

Well done the pub

barrybueno
02-19-2020, 08:55 AM
:thumbup:

Well done the pub

Good luck :thumbup:

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2020, 09:19 AM

No advice but glwtp

Pokster
02-19-2020, 09:37 AM

Looking at your training times you have nothing to worry about, enjoy the day and don't get too hung up on what time you do :thumbup:

Maravilloso Marvo
02-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Looking at your training times you have nothing to worry about, enjoy the day and don't get too hung up on what time you do :thumbup:

Thanks mate. Yeah I feel in good shape although this taper week is actually harder than most of the long runs I've done. As long as IUFG has such faith in my heart holding up to the challenge, I am okay!

Maravilloso Marvo
02-19-2020, 10:35 AM
No advice but glwtp

I've been without drinking for 158 days now as part of my training for this. I'd say you should try it some time, but I won't, I miss drinking.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2020, 11:09 AM
I've been without drinking for 158 days now as part of my training for this. I'd say you should try it some time, but I won't, I miss drinking.

I used to do that - now it just seems like a futile gesture in a mad, mad world :lager:

barrybueno
02-19-2020, 11:25 AM
I used to do that - now it just seems like a futile gesture in a mad, mad world :lager:

I met you once when you were off the booze, training for a charity run I think. You were too sober to remember it I reckon.

Very beardy I seem to recall, hope that was for charity as well!

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2020, 12:13 PM
I met you once when you were off the booze, training for a charity run I think. You were too sober to remember it I reckon.

Very beardy I seem to recall, hope that was for charity as well!

It rings a bell -definitely met you when I wasn't off the booze as well though

barrybueno
02-19-2020, 12:44 PM
It rings a bell -definitely met you when I wasn't off the booze as well though

C'mon LA, you know you can name the opponents, scorers etc on both those occasions. Or if there was more than two.

Maravilloso Marvo
02-24-2020, 02:41 PM
So the heart held up, I didn't quite melt in the heat and managed a very respectable 3:40. Everything went pretty much according to plan, loved every minute of it and can even still walk down stairs today. Still haven't had a beer, 163 days now...

Pokster
02-24-2020, 02:47 PM
So the heart held up, I didn't quite melt in the heat and managed a very respectable 3:40. Everything went pretty much according to plan, loved every minute of it and can even still walk down stairs today. Still haven't had a beer, 163 days now...

:clap: :thumbup: wd marve

Luis Anaconda
02-24-2020, 03:01 PM
Congrats Marve - on the race not on the whole not having a beer thing. That's just deviancy

Sir C
02-24-2020, 03:01 PM

You 'enjoyed' running a marathon? You 'still' haven't had a beer?

What is wrong with you man?

Luis Anaconda
02-24-2020, 03:08 PM

Speaking of deviancy - it appears I have to fly on Brussels Airlines in a couple of week. Are they just Sabena rebranded or should I expect something out of Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, accompanied by the locals chasing the aircraft with pitchforks down the runway?

Sir C
02-24-2020, 03:10 PM
Speaking of deviancy - it appears I have to fly on Brussels Airlines in a couple of week. Are they just Sabena rebranded or should I expect something out of Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, accompanied by the locals chasing the aircraft with pitchforks down the runway?

Just checked their fleet - they appear to be operating some extremely ancient Airbuses :hehe:

glwtpimo.

Maravilloso Marvo
02-24-2020, 03:14 PM

I believe its the runners endorphins or something or other. It can only really go in one direction from here once I taste that first beer. I'll be back to 21 stone in no time.

WES
02-24-2020, 03:17 PM
I believe its the runners endorphins or something or other. It can only really go in one direction from here once I taste that first beer. I'll be back to 21 stone in no time.

I'm dry Mon-Thu, Marve and you know what the secret is? Alcohol free beer. Heineken Zero is very good. Takes the craving away immediately for me.

And I find that I tend to dive in less than I used to Fri-Sun.

And congrats on the marathon :thumbup:

Burney
02-24-2020, 03:27 PM
Just checked their fleet - they appear to be operating some extremely ancient Airbuses :hehe:

glwtpimo.

Better an old Airbus than a new Boeing 737 MAX imo.

I think that's one of Confucius's.

Luis Anaconda
02-24-2020, 03:36 PM
I'm dry Mon-Thu, Marve and you know what the secret is? Alcohol free beer. Heineken Zero is very good. Takes the craving away immediately for me.

And I find that I tend to dive in less than I used to Fri-Sun.

And congrats on the marathon :thumbup:

Just when i thought you couldn't sink any lower

Luis Anaconda
02-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Better an old Airbus than a new Boeing 737 MAX imo.

I think that's one of Confucius's.

Wise word, b, wise words

WES
02-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Just when i thought you couldn't sink any lower

Ha!

Although I must admit I take no pleasure in reeling that one in. It was like throwing red meat to starving dogs, really.