PDA

View Full Version : So what will City's punishment be reduced to after they've been to appeal?

Sir C
02-17-2020, 11:16 AM
A large fine and a suspended ban, that's what will happen. Or, to put it another way, no meaningful punishment at all.

Pokster
02-17-2020, 11:21 AM
A large fine and a suspended ban, that's what will happen. Or, to put it another way, no meaningful punishment at all.

I think a 1 year ban from UEFA...it's what, if any, action they face from the PL that could be more interesting

barrybueno
02-17-2020, 11:26 AM
I think a 1 year ban from UEFA...it's what, if any, action they face from the PL that could be more interesting

Agree with the 1 year, word on the street is that it's been conviently set at 2 so it can be knocked down. The PL won't do anything imo.

Burney
02-17-2020, 11:27 AM

The problem with a ban of this sort being enforced is that it could have a knock-on effect on domestic outcomes. Faced with a CL ban, there's nothing to stop City from playing weakened sides in the league and concentrating on other tournaments, thus affecting league placings.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-17-2020, 11:46 AM

They will be banned. Possibly for 1 year instead of 2. This is the second time they will have been found in breach in FFP, only this time not only were they in breach they were also cooking the books to cover it up. There’s no way they don’t get a ban IMO.

Pat Vegas
02-17-2020, 12:26 PM

Maybe that's why Arteta left :sherlock:

Pokster
02-17-2020, 12:42 PM
The problem with a ban of this sort being enforced is that it could have a knock-on effect on domestic outcomes. Faced with a CL ban, there's nothing to stop City from playing weakened sides in the league and concentrating on other tournaments, thus affecting league placings.

Their weakened team will still finish top 4, and until the appeal is heard they will want to finish top 4 to see if they do get in the CL next season

PSRB
02-17-2020, 12:45 PM

:nod: There's mention of being stripped of PL titles

Burney
02-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Their weakened team will still finish top 4, and until the appeal is heard they will want to finish top 4 to see if they do get in the CL next season

I was thinking more of next season if they did get a two-year ban, tbh. The point I'm making is simply that CL qualification is now so important that banning a team from it can have massive knock-on effects in domestic leagues and could even artificially skew outcomes.

Pat Vegas
02-17-2020, 12:47 PM

I am still waiting for Barcelona to be stripped of their 2006 CL win :-(

barrybueno
02-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Stevie G would be pleased. if they started re-writing PL history it would be the biggest farce since FFP itself!

Pat Vegas
02-17-2020, 12:55 PM
Stevie G would be pleased. if they started re-writing PL history it would be the biggest farce since FFP itself!

Then where would it stop. Teams would then all want more money for finisihing a spot higher and then CL/Europa League spots = loss of money.

PSRB
02-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Then where would it stop. Teams would then all want more money for finisihing a spot higher and then CL/Europa League spots = loss of money.

True but they blatantly cheated and then got caught cooking the books. Would rather it was Chelsea in the firing line though.

Wonder how the City fans will react to CL anthem? :hehe:

barrybueno
02-17-2020, 01:09 PM
True but they blatantly cheated and then got caught cooking the books. Would rather it was Chelsea in the firing line though.

I guess they'll just boo a bit louder than usual :hehe:

Pat Vegas
02-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Yeah i'd like to see Chelsea get punished similarally. I never understood why both Chelsea or City didn't get more stick from the press for buying everything. When Chelsea got bought Sky sports seemed to be wetting themselves.

PSRB
02-17-2020, 01:14 PM
Yeah i'd like to see Chelsea get punished similarally. I never understood why both Chelsea or City didn't get more stick from the press for buying everything. When Chelsea got bought Sky sports seemed to be wetting themselves.

Improved their product, as better players pitched up