PDA

View Full Version : Archer gone.

Burney
01-24-2020, 10:43 AM
I'm starting to think he and Wood are fated never to bowl in tandem in a test match.

Luis Anaconda
01-24-2020, 11:10 AM
I'm starting to think he and Wood are fated never to bowl in tandem in a test match.

Almost certainly not. Not sure that even in a five man bowling attack having three bowlers who are best used in short bursts (including Stokes in that) is ideal anyway.

PSRB
01-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Almost certainly not. Not sure that even in a five man bowling attack having three bowlers who are best used in short bursts (including Stokes in that) is ideal anyway.

Would like to have seen Archer on what is supposed to be the bounciest pitch in world cricket though, could've been fun

Burney
01-24-2020, 12:00 PM
Would like to have seen Archer on what is supposed to be the bounciest pitch in world cricket though, could've been fun

Joel Wilson must surely have a strong claim to be the worst umpire on the international panel. Another shocking decision by him there.

Luis Anaconda
01-24-2020, 12:07 PM
Joel Wilson must surely have a strong claim to be the worst umpire on the international panel. Another shocking decision by him there.

Easily - not sure how he is still on the elite panel. Would rather have a Saffa umpiring this than him

Luis Anaconda
01-24-2020, 12:12 PM

Indeed - a return in Sri Lanka may not be ideal either

Burney
01-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Easily - not sure how he is still on the elite panel. Would rather have a Saffa umpiring this than him

:nod: They should get Rudi Koertzen and his little hat out of retirement.

PSRB
01-24-2020, 12:22 PM
:nod: They should get Rudi Koertzen and his little hat out of retirement.

Mind you, Wilson got that right. Out off a signaled no-ball, nothing funnier in cricket....apart from a batsman getting a nasty one to the *******s

Burney
01-24-2020, 12:34 PM
Mind you, Wilson got that right. Out off a signaled no-ball, nothing funnier in cricket....apart from a batsman getting a nasty one to the *******s

True. As long as it's the opposition doing it.

Blimey, another 50 opening partnership. This is what happens when you get a Whitgiftian* in as opener.

*One who isn't Jason Roy

Luis Anaconda
01-24-2020, 12:45 PM
True. As long as it's the opposition doing it.

Blimey, another 50 opening partnership. This is what happens when you get a Whitgiftian* in as opener.

*One who isn't Jason Roy
:hehe: Burns is one as well isn't he? Read a good article in the Times on how the school began to nurture such talent. Obviously long after your time ;)

Burney
01-24-2020, 12:50 PM
:hehe: Burns is one as well isn't he? Read a good article in the Times on how the school began to nurture such talent. Obviously long after your time ;)

Too true. Mind you, quite who was coaching them to move around in the crease like that I don't know. Of the three, we've got two who can't stand still and one (Roy) who's incapable of moving his feet at all.

Luis Anaconda
01-24-2020, 01:12 PM
Too true. Mind you, quite who was coaching them to move around in the crease like that I don't know. Of the three, we've got two who can't stand still and one (Roy) who's incapable of moving his feet at all.
I dunno but Colin Pates was in charge of football there at one point so make of that what you will

Burney
01-24-2020, 02:13 PM
I dunno but Colin Ward was in charge of football there at one point so make of that what you will

Some ex-Durham player's in charge apparently. But the important thing is that they set up an academy ensuring four extra hours of one-on-one coaching and physical conditioning for the school's top 20 players every week, year-round. We never got that.We got a two-hour net session and two hours' square practice with fielding drills during the season only. In the off-season, you either played another sport or just had to catch up in early spring by going running. :-(

We also all smoked like chimneys, of course.

PSRB
01-24-2020, 03:17 PM

Calypso collapso incoming

Burney
01-24-2020, 03:22 PM
Calypso collapso incoming

Ridicules considering that this is clearly a fúcking road. Just people getting themselves out. :baghead:

PSRB
01-24-2020, 03:46 PM
Ridicules considering that this is clearly a fúcking road. Just people getting themselves out. :baghead:

Stokes going to be in trouble, seems to have called some kid in the crowd 'a four-eyed cnut' as walked off :hehe: :hehe:

Burney
01-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Stokes going to be in trouble, seems to have called some kid in the crowd 'a four-eyed cnut' as walked off :hehe: :hehe:

:hehe: That's fine banter. :hehe:

Burney
01-24-2020, 03:56 PM

To be fair, I don't think it was an actual child and his exact words were: “Say it to me outside the ground you fúcking four-eyed little c**t”

Unless, of course, he was actually offering a small child out - which would be very funny.

PSRB
01-24-2020, 03:58 PM
To be fair, I don't think it was an actual child and his exact words were: “Say it to me outside the ground you fúcking four-eyed little c**t”

Unless, of course, he was actually offering a small child out - which would be very funny.

To react like that, one assumes it was a comment about his Dad

Burney
01-24-2020, 04:01 PM
To react like that, one assumes it was a comment about his Dad

Not necessarily. He can be a bit tetchy. Anyway, it's all a bit of fun.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-24-2020, 04:13 PM

Even if you had a Swann to hold up one end?

Burney
01-24-2020, 04:24 PM
Not necessarily. He can be a bit tetchy. Anyway, it's all a bit of fun.

Apparently, he accused him of looking like Ed Sheeran, so he was lucky not to get a bat wrapped around his head imo.

Luis Anaconda
01-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Even if you had a Swann to hold up one end?

:shrug: Swann wasn't really a containing bowler, he was an attacking bowler so no

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-27-2020, 07:27 PM
:shrug: Swann wasn't really a containing bowler, he was an attacking bowler so no

When the quicks weren't doing well, he'd bowl more overs than anyone. That's a bit more than Stokes/Wood/Archer will ever be allowed to do.

Having a spinner who can do that as well as attack (eg last over before lunch, 4th innings on a wearing pitch, India) is quite helpful. Still, Bess was relatively economical even when he wasn't taking wickets last test, wasn't he?

We used to go into test with Branderson, Bres and Swann. If we didn't bowl them out for under 200, Swann had to bowl a lot of overs.