PDA

View Full Version : How we all doing with this Blue Monday thingy?

barrybueno
01-20-2020, 02:28 PM
Anywon topped themselves yet :rubchin:

Burney
01-20-2020, 02:29 PM

I was getting a bit worried about Sir C last week, but he seems to have cheered up.

Pokster
01-20-2020, 02:30 PM

Well, my brother in law tried to on Saturday

PSRB
01-20-2020, 02:36 PM

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/01/10-infinitely-more-depressing-days-than-blue-monday/

barrybueno
01-20-2020, 02:42 PM

I don't know what to say P. He failed which is a good thing at least. Need to surround him with some decent family and friends imo. My sister had us in a panic on NYD a few years ago but it turned out to be a cry for help. Either way not nice. Good luck :thumbup:

Pokster
01-20-2020, 02:44 PM
I don't know what to say P. He failed which is a good thing at least. Need to surround him with some decent family and friends imo. My sister had us in a panic on NYD a few years ago but it turned out to be a cry for help. Either way not nice. Good luck :thumbup:

He's got MN and been told he won't be here in 6 months, so all very hard for him, his parents are ****e and treat themselves as the victims in all this....so feel for him

Burney
01-20-2020, 02:44 PM

Do you like him?

Burney
01-20-2020, 02:45 PM
He's got MN and been told he won't be here in 6 months, so all very hard for him, his parents are ****e and treat themselves as the victims in all this....so feel for him

Ewww. Poor chap. Not being nasty, but I can completely understand why he'd want to in that situation.

Pokster
01-20-2020, 02:46 PM
Do you like him?

yes...see above for why he tried to

Pokster
01-20-2020, 02:48 PM
Ewww. Poor chap. Not being nasty, but I can completely understand why he'd want to in that situation.

same here, he's got 2 young (ish) kids and the youngest is becoming more and more withdrawn, horrible situation to be in, talked about it from day 1 but he now can't go to Switzerland as you have to be able to get there under your own power to be allowed to do it

WES
01-20-2020, 02:58 PM
same here, he's got 2 young (ish) kids and the youngest is becoming more and more withdrawn, horrible situation to be in, talked about it from day 1 but he now can't go to Switzerland as you have to be able to get there under your own power to be allowed to do it

The mother of one of my daughter's school friends was diagnosed with it. She lived about 3-4 years but in the end, as it was explained to me, she had life extending drugs which she just chose not to take when life became unendurable and she then passed fairly quickly and peacefully.

Horrible to think of having to take that decision.

Burney
01-20-2020, 03:00 PM

Grim. Sorry to hear that.

Has to be said that I do wish we'd grow up about assisted suicide in this country. I understand the squeamishness, but this absurd situation where we effectively subcontract the service to Holland and Switzerland (thus effectively restricting it to those wealthy enough to afford it) is a patent absurdity.

Burney
01-20-2020, 03:01 PM
The mother of one of my daughter's school friends was diagnosed with it. She lived about 3-4 years but in the end, as it was explained to me, she had life extending drugs which she just chose not to take when life became unendurable and she then passed fairly quickly and peacefully.

Horrible to think of having to take that decision.

You die due to not being able to breathe. That's isn't 'peaceful', that's asphyxiation.

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:04 PM
You die due to not being able to breathe. That's isn't 'peaceful', that's asphyxiation.

my paternal grandmother died from ALS.

From the legs up; being compos mentis all the way through to the couldn't breathe bit and death.

:-(

Burney
01-20-2020, 04:09 PM
my paternal grandmother died from ALS.

From the legs up; being compos mentis all the way through to the couldn't breathe bit and death.

:-(

:nod: That Lou Gehrig has a lot to answer for. :-(

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:15 PM
:nod: That Lou Gehrig has a lot to answer for. :-(

She died in April just before her birthday, whilst I was at St James' Park watching The Arsenal draw 0-0.

Come to think of it, I've seen The Arsenal draw 0-0 up there a few times :jonah:

Burney
01-20-2020, 04:17 PM
She died in April just before her birthday, whilst I was at St James' Park watching The Arsenal draw 0-0.

Come to think of it, I've seen The Arsenal draw 0-0 up there a few times :jonah:

What year was this?

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:23 PM
What year was this?

I'll check. Gilberto had one cleared off the line. They hit the post.
Those were the highlights, istr.

I appreciate I should know what year my grandmother died. I don't.

:badgrandson:

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:24 PM

Time flies...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6513371.stm

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Time flies...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6513371.stm

2011 actually.

Got 0-0s mixed up. Gervinho sent off after some Joey Barton shíthousery.

Burney
01-20-2020, 04:35 PM

Oof! Serves you right for going to away games in Newcastle imo. That's the behaviour of perverts and the mentally ill.

Burney
01-20-2020, 04:37 PM
2011 actually.

Got 0-0s mixed up. Gervinho sent off after some Joey Barton shíthousery.

You still had a living grandmother in 2011? I had you down as an adult, i. My last remaining grandparent turned up her toes in 1996.

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Oof! Serves you right for going to away games in Newcastle imo. That's the behaviour of perverts and the mentally ill.

I have a mate from uni who is a solicitor and he used to work up there. I used to go up, stay with him and hit the toon for a couple of nights.

Those Geordie lassies like a good drink :lager:

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:38 PM
You still had a living grandmother in 2011? I had you down as an adult, i. My last remaining grandparent turned up her toes in 1996.

She was in her 90s, b.
And my parents were very young when I was born...

edit: maybe 80's. I don't do family details. I can't even remember the date of my first marraige. It was in June. Or July. :hide:

WES
01-20-2020, 07:43 PM

I believe that once she decided to no longer take the drugs that were keeping her alive she was given something that allowed her to pass peacefully into unconsciousness before she passed over.

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 09:34 AM

Pah - youngster. My last one went 1988, right in the middle of the first Comic Relief night

This could be a very depressing version of the The Four Yorkshiremen sketch

Burney
01-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Pah - youngster. My last one went 1988, right in the middle of the first Comic Relief night

We've all felt like that during Comic Relief, to be fair.

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 09:48 AM
We've all felt like that during Comic Relief, to be fair.

:nod: She should have stuck to watching RTE

Pokster
01-21-2020, 11:22 AM

you lucky *******, my last parent went in 1990

PSRB
01-21-2020, 11:33 AM

My Dad's hanging in there. Thought we were going to lose him at Christmas but thankfully he's fully recovered and back playing tennis 3x a week.

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 12:26 PM
And there you go - the Yorkshireman actually does win it

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 12:28 PM
My Dad's hanging in there. Thought we were going to lose him at Christmas but thankfully he's fully recovered and back playing tennis 3x a week.

Is your dad Roger Federer - probably about the right age and would explain your attitude to him?

Althoughnice to hear he's doing better

Burney
01-21-2020, 12:29 PM
And there you go - the Yorkshireman actually does win it

"Luxureh! I were orphaned two year before I were born..."

Burney
01-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Is your dad Roger Federer - probably about the right age and would explain your attitude to him?

Althoughnice to hear he's doing better

Is Roger Federer the most popular Swiss there's ever been? I can't think of anyone else who anyone likes as much. And I'm not counting Einstein, as he wasn't born one.

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Is Roger Federer the most popular Swiss there's ever been? I can't think of anyone else who anyone likes as much. And I'm not counting Einstein, as he wasn't born one.
Granit Xhaka? Johann Djourou? Philippe Senderos? Ursula Andress? How quickly you forget.

Always had a soft spot for Rousseau, but Federer and William Tell are probably the only really famous ones... unless you are a Jung man which I suspect you are not ;)

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Mine are still going strong, touch wood, but we did lose my favourite grandmother a couple of years ago.

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Mine are still going strong, touch wood, but we did lose my favourite grandmother a couple of years ago.

Did you lose her on a mission?

Burney
01-21-2020, 12:56 PM
Granit Xhaka? Johann Djourou? Philippe Senderos? Ursula Andress? How quickly you forget.

Always had a soft spot for Rousseau, but Federer and William Tell are probably the only really famous ones... unless you are a Jung man which I suspect you are not ;)

Rousseau was really not a very nice man. Jung's main claim to fame was not being as dirty-minded as Freud, but he was just as big a bullshítter if you ask me.

I used to quite fancy Martina Hingis, though.

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 12:58 PM
Certainly not! We operate a strict "no granny left behind" policy anyway, especially if they're worth a few quid.

Did you lose her on a mission?

Burney
01-21-2020, 01:01 PM
Certainly not! We operate a strict "no granny left behind" policy anyway, especially if they're worth a few quid.

We used to have a similar mission statement on Friday nights at the Grasshopper in Westerham when I was a young man.

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 01:04 PM
Wayne Rooney too, so I gather. Although you wouldn't think he'd need the money, would you. Just goes to show, you never can tell.

We used to have a similar mission statement on Friday nights at the Grasshopper in Westerham when I was a young man.

Burney
01-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Wayne Rooney too, so I gather. Although you wouldn't think he'd need the money, would you. Just goes to show, you never can tell.

Yes. Although of course what we were calling a 'granny' then would have been at least a decade younger than I am now. :-(

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 01:13 PM
Rousseau was really not a very nice man. Jung's main claim to fame was not being as dirty-minded as Freud, but he was just as big a bullshítter if you ask me.

Yeah - but also not a real Swiss. Funnily enough I think she was more attractive when she came out of retirement that time

IUFG
01-21-2020, 01:34 PM

meh. She's no Anna K, imo

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/anna-kournikova-bends-down-to-pick-up-a-ball-picture-id650774972?s=2048x2048