PDA

View Full Version : Alyson Rudd of the Times assures me that VAR rightly confirmed that it wasn't a pen

WES
01-20-2020, 08:55 AM
when that Sheffield United defender kicked his leg out and hit Pepe's leg as he tried to get by him in the box.

Alyson Rudd is a stupid c*nt. And VAR is a pile of sh1t. And Mike Dean deserves a violent and painful death.

Let no man contradict these truths :nono:

Luis Anaconda
01-20-2020, 09:06 AM
when that Sheffield United defender kicked his leg out and hit Pepe's leg as he tried to get by him in the box.

Alyson Rudd is a stupid c*nt. And VAR is a pile of sh1t. And Mike Dean deserves a violent and painful death.

Couldn't believe that when I read it yesterday. I agree entirely with those statements. Although it is quite possible that Atkinson was watching a different game. He really is a useless ****. See also Pepe v Bournemouth

Just Trent
01-20-2020, 09:11 AM

They were never going to overrule Mike Dean in his big 500th game. 500 games for that ****? About 450 of them have been against us.

Arteta is slowly improving Pepe though. Next season the front three will be Saka, Martinelli and Pepe :nod:

dismalswamp
01-20-2020, 09:19 AM
10*******charactherssurely

IUFG
01-20-2020, 09:27 AM

Whilst we have, in large parts, been absolute shít this season; I do feel we have also been a leeetel beeet unlucky with deflections and also been on the wrong end of some VAR nonsense.

Wenger out!

7sisters
01-20-2020, 09:29 AM

Well, these days, everything apparently ..👍

Burney
01-20-2020, 09:38 AM

The appalling implementation of VAR does smack of the football authorities having looked at the way other sports have successfully deployed video evidence and arrogantly refusing to heed any of the lessons learned. It is genuinely the worst use of the technology imaginable.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-20-2020, 11:40 AM

It isn't necessarily VAR that is **** but its implementation. Naturally, our referees association or whatever they are, are a total pile of cund with Mike Riley in charge.

Purely out of academic interest, what did Alyson Rudd actually say?

Burney
01-20-2020, 11:53 AM
It isn't necessarily VAR that is **** but its implementation. Naturally, our referees association or whatever they are, are a total pile of cund with Mike Riley in charge.

Quite so. The first rule of this should have been that it should take both the referral and the decision out of the hands of the on-field official. Their decisions are always going to be subject to confirmation bias. It should be based on the right of the on-field captains to appeal decisions.

Sir C
01-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Quite so. The first rule of this should have been that it should take both the referral and the decision out of the hands of the on-field official. Their decisions are always going to be subject to confirmation bias. It should be based on the right of the on-field captains to appeal decisions.

Bank House review:

The 273 from St Mary Cray Station Approach takes 10 minutes and stops right outside the restaurant. 10/10, excellent service, although not cheasp at £1.50 per head. Each way.

Bank House is nice and buzzy, front of house excellent (he's the owner so he ought to be), service knowlegable and enthusastic. They mixed an excellent Negroni and a Cosmopolitan. 'Small plates' menu - everything chosen was extremely good. They recommended 2 - 3 per person. We ordered 3 per person and then desserts and weren't stuffed... the bill to include a bottle of decent Montalcino from the extensive but expensive wine list and a glass of Takaji came to over £150. Given that we weren't excatly stuffed and didn't drink a huge amount, that strikes me as steep.

Also, it doesn't feel like a destination, an event, a special ocassion.

Recommended for a nice meal if you're feeling flush. Not necessarily recommended for a birthday treat.

Burney
01-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Bank House review:

The 273 from St Mary Cray Station Approach takes 10 minutes and stops right outside the restaurant. 10/10, excellent service, although not cheasp at £1.50 per head. Each way.

Bank House is nice and buzzy, front of house excellent (he's the owner so he ought to be), service knowlegable and enthusastic. They mixed an excellent Negroni and a Cosmopolitan. 'Small plates' menu - everything chosen was extremely good. They recommended 2 - 3 per person. We ordered 3 per person and then desserts and weren't stuffed... the bill to include a bottle of decent Montalcino from the extensive but expensive wine list and a glass of Takaji came to over £150. Given that we weren't excatly stuffed and didn't drink a huge amount, that strikes me as steep.

Recommended for a nice meal if you're feeling flush. Not necessarily recommended for a birthday treat.

TYVM. Duly noted. £6.00 for a round trip on a bus seems very steep to me. You could have spent not a lot more than that and Ubered it.

Burney
01-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Bank House review:

Essentially, I have boiled this review down to 'We left hungry, sober and £150 lighter' :-(

IUFG
01-20-2020, 12:18 PM

oh dear, oh dear...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M

Luis Anaconda
01-20-2020, 12:19 PM

Pretty much what WES said: "Mike Dean, officiating his 500th Premier League game, flamboyantly waved away appeals for a penalty when Nicolas Pepe fell under Jack O'Connell's challenge and the VAR check confirmed the referee was right to do so."

7sisters
01-20-2020, 12:21 PM
TYVM. Duly noted. £6.00 for a round trip on a bus seems very steep to me. You could have spent not a lot more than that and Ubered it.

Hang on. You paid on a bus ?
https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/fare-dodging-forces-closure-of-rear-doors-on-new-routemaster-bus

Burney
01-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Pretty much what WES said: "Mike Dean, officiating his 500th Premier League game, flamboyantly waved away appeals for a penalty when Nicolas Pepe fell under Jack O'Connell's challenge and the VAR check confirmed the referee was right to do so."

'Flamboyantly'. :-(

Sir C
01-20-2020, 12:41 PM

Ubered it home. £9. So that would have been £18 round trip, significantly more than £6.

Sir C
01-20-2020, 12:41 PM
Hang on. You paid on a bus ?
https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/fare-dodging-forces-closure-of-rear-doors-on-new-routemaster-bus

I am not a thief, 7.

Burney
01-20-2020, 12:48 PM
Ubered it home. £9. So that would have been £18 round trip, significantly more than £6.

Is your dignity not worth £12?

Sir C
01-20-2020, 12:50 PM
Is your dignity not worth £12?

I’m mad for the uncle Gus. You get some exercise walking to the bus stop and you meet all sorts of interesting people.

IUFG
01-20-2020, 12:53 PM
I’m mad for the uncle Gus. You get some exercise walking to the bus stop and you meet all sorts of interesting people.

funny way of spelling 'threatening and unhinged'

Burney
01-20-2020, 12:55 PM

Is the smell of wee not a problem?

IUFG
01-20-2020, 01:10 PM

not with his sense of smell and his use of Tena for men

Sir C
01-20-2020, 01:18 PM

They don't seem to mind :shrug:

Burney
01-20-2020, 01:19 PM
not with his sense of smell and his use of Tena for men

I was hoping for him to respond ‘No-one’s complained yet’, tbh, but he’s let me down. :-(

Sir C
01-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Essentially, I have boiled this review down to 'We left hungry, sober and £150 lighter' :-(

"We left sated, (just), half cut and £150 plus tip lighter."

Sir C
01-20-2020, 01:20 PM
funny way of spelling 'threatening and unhinged'

Everyone seems remarkable quiet, and civilised, in my experience.

My experience consists of 3 journeys in the last 6 months, mind.

Sir C
01-20-2020, 01:30 PM
I was hoping for him to respond ‘No-one’s complained yet’, tbh, but he’s let me down. :-(

*Ahem* VVVV

Burney
01-20-2020, 01:34 PM
*Ahem* VVVV

Thank goodness! I was beginning to worry that your clean loving g had adversely affected your comedic skills.

WES
01-20-2020, 01:43 PM

Even Shearuh and Wrighty said it was a pen. Poor Alyson, she's even dumber than Shearuh and Wrighty. :-(

Still would, mind. Alyson, not Shearuh or Wrighty. Well, maybe Wrighty. :hide:

barrybueno
01-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Even Shearuh and Wrighty said it was a pen. Poor Alyson, she's even dumber than Shearuh and Wrighty. :-(

Still would, mind. Alyson, not Shearuh or Wrighty. Well, maybe Wrighty. :hide:

I was gonna reply 'you still would' to your original post but you seemed angry so I bottled it :hehe:

IUFG
01-20-2020, 04:07 PM
I was gonna reply 'you still would' to your original post but you seemed angry so I bottled it :hehe:

:nono: Scouser innit, bb. Not with yours on a barge pole, etc...

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-20-2020, 07:47 PM

I just remember how long it took them to get DRS right. Remember the days when the 3rd umpire would give the on field umpire the details and left it to the umpire to make the final call? It was carnage for a while. It's been refined and improved and refined again to what we have now

Although, in DRS, the on field umpire still has final say, the parameters are fairly well defined. There is a certain degree of out or not out and this took a few years. Imagine how Football, a constantly moving game with much wider room for interpretation, will work to refine and improve the VAR system.

Perhaps, the VAR should only be used to define black and white decisions. Was the ball over the line (throw, GK/corner/goal etc), was a foul inside or outside the box and offside. Strictly define the parameters and then apply them accordingly.

It might take 10 years to get to that point....

AFC East
01-21-2020, 02:11 AM
I just remember how long it took them to get DRS right. Remember the days when the 3rd umpire would give the on field umpire the details and left it to the umpire to make the final call? It was carnage for a while. It's been refined and improved and refined again to what we have now

Although, in DRS, the on field umpire still has final say, the parameters are fairly well defined. There is a certain degree of out or not out and this took a few years. Imagine how Football, a constantly moving game with much wider room for interpretation, will work to refine and improve the VAR system.

Perhaps, the VAR should only be used to define black and white decisions. Was the ball over the line (throw, GK/corner/goal etc), was a foul inside or outside the box and offside. Strictly define the parameters and then apply them accordingly.

It might take 10 years to get to that point....

Nevertheless Burney is spot on. They have learned nothing from other sports.

Strangely I found myself agreeing with everything in this thread, very well said WES.

Oh aside from the bus trip. £6 in the context of £150...

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-21-2020, 06:35 AM

I'm sure Jesus wept on reading that?

Burney
01-21-2020, 09:21 AM
Nevertheless Burney is spot on. They have learned nothing from other sports.

Strangely I found myself agreeing with everything in this thread, very well said WES.

Oh aside from the bus trip. £6 in the context of £150...

If I actually thought FIFA were clever enough, I'd almost suspect they've deliberately sabotaged the implementation of VAR so that it can be withdrawn and shelved in perpetuity.

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 09:38 AM
If I actually thought FIFA were clever enough, I'd almost suspect they've deliberately sabotaged the implementation of VAR so that it can be withdrawn and shelved in perpetuity.

Arsene has been bought in to save it. The review system will be in shortly - he's always banged on about that. Mind you imagine if we had reviewed Dean's decision on Saturday and they still didn't give us a pen :furious:

Burney
01-21-2020, 09:43 AM
Arsene has been bought in to save it. The review system will be in shortly - he's always banged on about that. Mind you imagine if we had reviewed Dean's decision on Saturday and they still didn't give us a pen :furious:

The problem with football, of course, is that there is that element of discretion left to referees regarding intent and so forth, so a review system will always mean that there will be a clash between different interpretations. The question is whether on or off-field officials will have the final say.

Luis Anaconda
01-21-2020, 09:54 AM
The problem with football, of course, is that there is that element of discretion left to referees regarding intent and so forth, so a review system will always mean that there will be a clash between different interpretations. The question is whether on or off-field officials will have the final say.

Yep - one of the interesting things about Sunday's decision for Liverpool's non-goal was that the ref Pawson (booooooooooo) was on VAR for the United Everton game and didn't give a foul for a similar challenge on De Gea. So his definition was consistent, yet he gets overturned in this instant. Even though I think it was a foul, it hardly makes any sense

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 09:58 AM
And nobody wants the officials to be correct 100% of the time, in any case. Otherwise how to explain away a 2-0 defeat at Swindon Town, or somewhere like that, without at least in part blaming the linesman or the ref. For the good of the game, these functionaries must continue to exist as sort of Aunt Sally, pantomime characters.

WES
01-21-2020, 10:02 AM
And nobody wants the officials to be correct 100% of the time, in any case. Otherwise how to explain away a 2-0 defeat at Swindon Town, or somewhere like that, without at least in part blaming the linesman or the ref. For the good of the game, these functionaries must continue to exist as sort of Aunt Sally, pantomime characters.

Yes, that will never change.

VAR is the new referee, as such. Which sort of suggests it's pointless, really.

Burney
01-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Yep - one of the interesting things about Sunday's decision for Liverpool's non-goal was that the ref Pawson (booooooooooo) was on VAR for the United Everton game and didn't give a foul for a similar challenge on De Gea. So his definition was consistent, yet he gets overturned in this instant. Even though I think it was a foul, it hardly makes any sense

What would be interesting with a review system is where there has been a bad tackle and the ref has only given a yellow. Will the opposing skipper have the right to appeal in the hope of a red - basically subjecting the ref's discretion to the scrutiny of his peers?

Burney
01-21-2020, 10:09 AM

No, but I do think they want their decisions to be subject to scrutiny and for them to no longer be the sole arbiters in the game. That would fundamentally change on-field refereeing. For instance, there's no way Mike Reilly could have reffed our game against United the way he did if his frankly bizarre decisions could be sent upstairs.

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 10:20 AM
:nod: Embarrassing, humiliating the ref is an important part of the game. And I suspect they are perfectly aware of this too; welcome it even.

What would be interesting with a review system is where there has been a bad tackle and the ref has only given a yellow. Will the opposing skipper have the right to appeal in the hope of a red - basically subjecting the ref's discretion to the scrutiny of his peers?

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 10:23 AM
True, but the whole cabal of 'em will simply make the necessary adjustments, imo. After all, a ref with a Macbook is still a ref.

No, but I do think they want their decisions to be subject to scrutiny and for them to no longer be the sole arbiters in the game. That would fundamentally change on-field refereeing. For instance, there's no way Mike Reilly could have reffed our game against United the way he did if his frankly bizarre decisions could be sent upstairs.

Burney
01-21-2020, 10:25 AM
:nod: Embarrassing, humiliating the ref is an important part of the game. And I suspect they are perfectly aware of this too; welcome it even.

I think this is the important thing. These wronguns need to have their god-like and wholly-corrupting power over the game taken away. I will support any system that does that.

Burney
01-21-2020, 10:27 AM
True, but the whole cabal of 'em will simply make the necessary adjustments, imo. After all, a ref with a Macbook is still a ref.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they like each other. I'm sure there are plenty of referees who'd take great pleasure in overturning Mike Dein's decisions.

I can't believe iufg hasn't seized on the Mike Reilly reference. He's falling down on the job.

IUFG
01-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Yes, but that doesn't mean they like each other. I'm sure there are plenty of referees who'd take great pleasure in overturning Mike Dein's decisions.

I can't believe iufg hasn't seized on the Mike Reilly reference. He's falling down on the job.
name
2 things, b

1) I have to log in
2) YOU have to spell the cnuts correctly

;-)

it was 2004 btw

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Yes, I suspected as much. But, as I say, we have to have somebody to blame. And masochists gon' masochist. Otherwise what are we going to do? Blame Wenger? :shrug:

I will support any system that does that.

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 10:35 AM
Probably. Personally. But these are professionals nowadays and therefore will always stick together.

Burney
01-21-2020, 10:42 AM
name
2 things, b

1) I have to log in
2) YOU have to spell the cnuts correctly

;-)

it was 2004 btw

I am spelling his name correctly. It's not my fault he doesn't.

redgunamo
01-21-2020, 10:52 AM
Yes, this is the fundamental point to keep in mind.