PDA

View Full Version : Oh, it was an engine failure, was it?

Sir C
01-08-2020, 09:12 AM
An engine failure resulting in a catastrophic fire and hull loss?

Really?

Seems... unlikely. And somewhat coincidental, geographically speaking.

I is cynical.

PSRB
01-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Really?

I is cynical.

Fastest ever work from the AAIB on this one.......

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-08-2020, 10:14 AM

Really?

I is cynical.

and is never, the fault of the demi-god responsible for flying the crate i.e. The Pilot

WES
01-08-2020, 10:19 AM
and is never, the fault of the demi-god responsible for flying the crate i.e. The Pilot

Yankees excepted.

Remember a local airline in the US many years ago crashed with a well known American footballer on it. In the Carolinas as I recall.

They published the cockpit communication where the co-pilot tells the captain he's using the wrong control or something. The co-pilot can then be heard saying 'I'm taking over...'

It crashed about 20 secs later killing all on board. :-(

Sir C
01-08-2020, 10:26 AM

Aircraft accidents never have a single cause, h. The final impact is the culmination of a chain of events which may lead back as far as the factory while the aircraft was being manufactured, or as recently as the argument the skipper had with his wife when he left the house that morning.

Pilots are far from infallible, sadly.

Burney
01-08-2020, 10:30 AM

Really?

I is cynical.

Yes. Sounds a lot like some SAM team got a touch trigger happy.

IUFG
01-08-2020, 10:33 AM

Really?

I is cynical.

engineer failure, yes dear.

I've heard that they tend to fail when a projectile is fired into them...

redgunamo
01-08-2020, 10:37 AM
Depends who was on board the aircraft, imo. Or even "what".

Yes. Sounds a lot like some SAM team got a touch trigger happy.

redgunamo
01-08-2020, 10:37 AM
:nod: Notorious for it.

engineer failure, yes dear.

I've heard that they tend to fail when a projectile is fired into them...

PSRB
01-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Aircraft accidents never have a single cause, h. The final impact is the culmination of a chain of events which may lead back as far as the factory while the aircraft was being manufactured, or as recently as the argument the skipper had with his wife when he left the house that morning.

Pilots are far from infallible, sadly.

Unless hit by a missile

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Really?

I is cynical.

Well given we all suspect foul play do we have any idea which side would have fired the missile and why? I think Red knows a lot more than he's letting on and really ought to keep his chums here a little more in the loop.

I understand at least three of Her Majesty's subjects were on board so I expect we'll be "sending the SAS in" some time soon but they'll have to know whose arse they are supposed to kick.

Sir C
01-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Well given we all suspect foul play do we have any idea which side would have fired the missile and why? I think Red knows a lot more than he's letting on and really ought to keep his chums here a little more in the loop.

I understand at least three of Her Majesty's subjects were on board so I expect we'll be "sending the SAS in" some time soon but they'll have to know whose arse they are supposed to kick.

Odd. A Brit. In Tehran. Travelling to Kiev.

What's that all about?

redgunamo
01-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Not really, no. But it's always worth keeping an eye out for nuclear submarines going about flying the Jolly Roger, especially if unexplained underground earthquakes are also reported anywhere in the vicinity, as has been the case here.

PSRB
01-09-2020, 04:57 PM

Really?

I is cynical.

Pentagon confirms it was shot down, wonder how the Canucks will react. Probably apologise and say it was their fault

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Not really, no. But it's always worth keeping an eye out for nuclear submarines going about flying the Jolly Roger, especially if unexplained underground earthquakes are also reported anywhere in the vicinity, as has been the case here.

Our subs only fly the Jolly Roger when they sail back to base after they've sunk an enemy ship.

Burney
01-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Our subs only fly the Jolly Roger when they sail back to base after they've sunk an enemy ship.

Not so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_the_Jolly_Roger_by_submarines

01-09-2020, 05:23 PM
Not so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_the_Jolly_Roger_by_submarines

Ooooh, didn't know about the other uses. Cheers.

Burney
01-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Ooooh, didn't know about the other uses. Cheers.

The mission to which red is referring was by a US sub that was seen returning to port having delivered Navy Seals somewhere. It was shortly after this mission that the 'earthquake' that knackered the North Korean nuclear missile base took place. :rubchin:

01-09-2020, 05:36 PM
The mission to which red is referring was by a US sub that was seen returning to port having delivered Navy Seals somewhere. It was shortly after this mission that the 'earthquake' that knackered the North Korean nuclear missile base took place. :rubchin:

Ok. Didn't know that either. Hope the Septics didn't nick our Jolly Roger idea.