PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for Xmas?

Pat Vegas
01-06-2020, 09:38 AM
10 characters

Pokster
01-06-2020, 09:44 AM
10 characters

Pants and slippers..... I really am getting :old: serves me right for saying there wasn't anything i was really after

IUFG
01-06-2020, 09:50 AM
Pants and slippers..... I really am getting :old: serves me right for saying there wasn't anything i was really after

Socks.

Bamboo socks. Game changers imo.

PSRB
01-06-2020, 10:01 AM
10 characters

One of those Ancestry DNA kits, lounge wear, trainers, Arsenal calendar.......

Burney
01-06-2020, 10:06 AM

I'm interested in those DNA kits, but I fear they're being used to collect all of our DNA profiles for nefarious purposes. :tinfoilhat:

I got a nice new kitchen knife; a Paul Smith voucher, some whisky glasses, a decanter and a bottle of gin.

Sir C
01-06-2020, 10:10 AM
10 characters

iPad.
Shoes.
Barbecue items.
Hunting coat.
Tarp and para cord.

Sir C
01-06-2020, 10:11 AM
I'm interested in those DNA kits, but I fear they're being used to collect all of our DNA profiles for nefarious purposes. :tinfoilhat:

I got a nice new kitchen knife; a Paul Smith voucher, some whisky glasses, a decanter and a bottle of gin.

Which knife did you get?

Tony C
01-06-2020, 10:16 AM

I’ve heard some right stories about this like the black girl who decided to reveal it live on YouTube but it said she was 25% white and she flipped out...and the people who are getting like 2% Navajo Indian so claiming to be a minority to get into university.

Would be great if you let us know the results...most intrigued by it.

Tony C
01-06-2020, 10:17 AM
iPad.
Shoes.
Barbecue items.
Hunting coat.
Tarp and para cord.

Which hunting coat? Always keen to update my National Hunt fashion

Billy Goat Sverige
01-06-2020, 10:20 AM
10 characters

A Fjällräven parka.

Pat Vegas
01-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Trainers always good, I got some Alexander McQueen trainers. I can barely drive in them :-(

PSRB
01-06-2020, 10:23 AM
I’ve heard some right stories about this like the black girl who decided to reveal it live on YouTube but it said she was 25% white and she flipped out...and the people who are getting like 2% Navajo Indian so claiming to be a minority to get into university.

Would be great if you let us know the results...most intrigued by it.

I'm slightly concerned about some paternity suits but also, as adopted, I'd like to know more about my heritage

Burney
01-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Which knife did you get?

An 18cm Global Santoku. It's rather beautiful and it's almost a shame to get it dirty.

Sir C
01-06-2020, 10:32 AM
Which hunting coat? Always keen to update my National Hunt fashion

Verney Carron. Camo rather than pink tbh.

Sir C
01-06-2020, 10:34 AM
An 18cm Global Santoku. It's rather beautiful and it's almost a shame to get it dirty.

That's become my favourite knife. I do everything from chopping onions to carving joints with that bad boy.

Mazel tov!

Sir C
01-06-2020, 10:36 AM
A Fjällräven parka.

Love Fjallraven, although it was a mistake buying the heavy down coat when it snowed a couple of years ago. Going for a walk in minus 2 I almost died of heat exhaustion.

Burney
01-06-2020, 10:38 AM
That's become my favourite knife. I do everything from chopping onions to carving joints with that bad boy.

Mazel tov!

Yes, I know. I did a rib of beef with it. Much more wieldy than a carving knife.

I've a feeling it'll be a bugger to sharpen. Might start getting professionals to sharpen my knives for me. Life is a bit short to be f@cking about with a whetstone for half a day.

Sir C
01-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Yes, I know. I did a rib of beef with it. Much more wieldy than a carving knife.

I've a feeling it'll be a bugger to sharpen. Might start getting professionals to sharpen my knives for me. Life is a bit short to be f@cking about with a whetstone for half a day.

I called in a professional last year and he was rubbish.

I bought a little electric sharpener from amazon. Works extremely well although I guess it isn't doing the knives any good in the long term.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-06-2020, 10:41 AM

half way through your bone :-(

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-06-2020, 10:44 AM
I'm slightly concerned about some paternity suits but also, as adopted, I'd like to know more about my heritage

I suspect you'll transpire to be 98% pikey traveller p.

Burney
01-06-2020, 10:44 AM
I called in a professional last year and he was rubbish.

I bought a little electric sharpener from amazon. Works extremely well although I guess it isn't doing the knives any good in the long term.

Well those Globals are supposed only to be sharpened on one side for right-handed use and the leaflets specifically say not to use ceramic water sharpeners, which is a bit of a fúcking cheek since Global sells exactly those for use on its knives.

PSRB
01-06-2020, 10:46 AM
I suspect you'll transpire to be 98% pikey traveller p.

So, Irish?

Burney
01-06-2020, 10:47 AM
half way through your bone :-(

:nod: But a sharp knife is much less dangerous than a blunt one, h. Sharp knives bite into what you're chopping, while blunt ones slip and are thus much more likely to be a danger to digits. I can't remember the last time I cut myself while cooking. :shrug:

But if you're the sort of quadraspaz wrongcock who can't use a knife without cutting yourself, there's no helping you.

PSRB
01-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Well those Globals are supposed only to be sharpened on one side for right-handed use and the leaflets specifically say not to use ceramic water sharpeners, which is a bit of a fúcking cheek since Global sells exactly those for use on its knives.

I use a ceramic 3 stage water sharpener, does a perfectly good job. Can't be arsed with a whetstone

Billy Goat Sverige
01-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Love Fjallraven, although it was a mistake buying the heavy down coat when it snowed a couple of years ago. Going for a walk in minus 2 I almost died of heat exhaustion.

They make some quality stuff. I usually get the stuff with the teddy fleece lining. Even I sweat my *******s off with the down filled coats.

Burney
I use a ceramic 3 stage water sharpener, does a perfectly good job. Can't be arsed with a whetstone

:nod: I've got one, but the instructions literally say not to use it. :shrug:

Burney
They make some quality stuff. I usually get the stuff with the teddy fleece lining. Even I sweat my *******s off with the down filled coats.

How many hours of daylight are you getting at the moment, b?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-06-2020, 10:52 AM
So, Irish?

See how aggressive and combative you have become? Point proven methinks.

PSRB
01-06-2020, 10:54 AM
:nod: I've got one, but the instructions literally say not to use it. :shrug:

I'm not a professional chef, the knives are more than sharp enough for me and after 7 years there is no obvious sign of damage to the blades

Burney
01-06-2020, 10:56 AM
I'm not a professional chef, the knives are more than sharp enough for me and after 7 years there is no obvious sign of damage to the blades

Yes, but the problem is when you get a new knife and it's precision ground to be razor sharp. It's a joy to use and it makes you realise just how blunt all your other knives are. :-(

AFC East
01-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Yes, but the problem is when you get a new knife and it's precision ground to be razor sharp. It's a joy to use and it makes you realise just how blunt all your other knives are. :-(

It'll never be that sharp again. 10 minutes with a whetstone should see you right though.

Billy Goat Sverige
01-06-2020, 11:09 AM
How many hours of daylight are you getting at the moment, b?

About 5 1/2. It usually gets light at about 9am and dark at 2:30pm. Even worse this year as we’ve had a very mild winter and there’s no snow to illuminate everywhere when it’s dark :-(

Burney
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM
About 5 1/2. It usually gets light at about 9am and dark at 2:30pm. Even worse this year as we’ve had a very mild winter and there’s no snow to illuminate everywhere when it’s dark :-(

Ugh. Do you all do the sauna thing in Sweden like they do in Finland?

Billy Goat Sverige
01-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Ugh. Do you all do the sauna thing in Sweden like they do in Finland?

We don’t do it but there’s a lot that do. I remember when we were looking at houses to buy quite a lot of them had saunas built in the basement :hehe:

Burney
01-06-2020, 11:17 AM
We don’t do it but there’s a lot that do. I remember when we were looking at houses to buy quite a lot of them had saunas built in the basement :hehe:

I remember staying in a hotel in Vaasa that had an en-suite sauna.

Mind you, anything to avoid actually having to go out in Vaasa in early December. :-(

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-06-2020, 11:27 AM
:nod: But a sharp knife is much less dangerous than a blunt one, h. Sharp knives bite into what you're chopping, while blunt ones slip and are thus much more likely to be a danger to digits. I can't remember the last time I cut myself while cooking. :shrug:

But if you're the sort of quadraspaz wrongcock who can't use a knife without cutting yourself, there's no helping you.

A life of tilling the soil and pulling jobbies out of your mum's pipe has left me a bit of clumsy oaf.

Do you go in for that rapid slicing technique that uses your fingertips as a guide (I expect there's a poncy french name for it)? Looks bloody dangerous to me.

Burney
01-06-2020, 11:35 AM
A life of tilling the soil and pulling jobbies out of your mum's pipe has left me a bit of clumsy oaf.

Do you go in for that rapid slicing technique that uses your fingertips as a guide (I expect there's a poncy french name for it)? Looks bloody dangerous to me.

You don't use your fingertips as a guide, you rest your first joints of your fingers against the flat of the knife with your fingertips safely bent inwards. You then use the knife in a rocking motion. This makes it almost impossible to cut yourself.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-06-2020, 11:57 AM
You don't use your fingertips as a guide, you rest your first joints of your fingers against the flat of the knife with your fingertips safely bent inwards. You then use the knife in a rocking motion. This makes it almost impossible to cut yourself.

french name? You food puffs, snobby spastics every one of you, seem to have a poncy french name for anything related to food.

Burney
01-06-2020, 11:59 AM
french name? You food puffs, snobby spastics every one of you, seem to have a poncy french name for anything related to food.

Probably. I just know it as 'knife technique'. though. :shrug:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-06-2020, 12:00 PM

One of the best pieces of advice I ever saw on this board was from Sir C when he recommended renewing one's cheese grater regularly. Since then I have done so every year and am far happier for it.

barrybueno
01-06-2020, 12:02 PM

Same here, except I asked for them :hehe: No more cold feet for me :cloud9:

Sir C
01-06-2020, 12:18 PM
One of the best pieces of advice I ever saw on this board was from Sir C when he recommended renewing one's cheese grater regularly. Since then I have done so every year and am far happier for it.

You have made me extremely happy, h. To know I have enriched your life in a small way gives me great pleasure.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-06-2020, 01:28 PM
You have made me extremely happy, h. To know I have enriched your life in a small way gives me great pleasure.

for at least ten years without realizing what an ineffective and onerous contraption it has become. I was one of them until you freed me. (I have become slightly tearful c...hold me).

Sir C
01-06-2020, 01:29 PM
for at least ten years without realizing what an ineffective and onerous contraption it has become. I was one of them until you freed me. (I have become slightly tearful c...hold me).

That reminds me, I need to replace mine.

Man, I love grating cheese.

PSRB
01-06-2020, 01:34 PM
That reminds me, I need to replace mine.

Man, I love grating cheese.

So does my eldest, which is handy as I hate doing it

Sir C
01-06-2020, 01:40 PM
So does my eldest, which is handy as I hate doing it

I bet you're using an old, blunt grater.

Treat yourself to a new Microplane job, p. You won't regret it.

Monty92
01-06-2020, 01:42 PM

Grating cheese is the single most painful thing one can do with tennis elbow. FACT.

Or maybe I should just replace my grater more often.

PSRB
01-06-2020, 01:45 PM

There must be a machine that does it? It's 2020 FFS

barrybueno
01-06-2020, 01:55 PM
There must be a machine that does it? It's 2020 FFS

Yeah but it's the twenties, could you get a more old fashioned sounding decade? Wonder if our one will be roaring :rubchin:

Burney
01-06-2020, 02:11 PM

This reminds me: I've a vague memory of someone having bought me a mouli grater this Christmas, but have no idea where it is.