PDA

View Full Version : Did everyone enjoy their turkey / beef / goose / nut cutlet, then?

Sir C
01-02-2020, 10:51 AM
Any cracking arguments with in-laws to share?

I became a great uncle again. Like Bulgaria.

Burney
01-02-2020, 10:53 AM

Arguments were avoided by my sister being in Sussex and me being in Hertfordshire - although angry texts were exchanged.

Congrats on the newborn. To whom was this blessing accorded?

Sir C
01-02-2020, 10:56 AM
Arguments were avoided by my sister being in Sussex and me being in Hertfordshire - although angry texts were exchanged.

Oh lord, is there a grain of sand in the family oyster? :-(

Young Mary has spawned. A male, apparently.

WES
01-02-2020, 10:59 AM

Ray White's goose recipe worked a treat, thanks. Breast perfectly pink, legs nice and crispy and unctuous.

Turkey is no more in the WES household on Christmas day, I think. Only downside is that the in-laws loved the goose leftovers and are now likely to show up on the day next year to eat it all. The parasites. :-(

Burney
01-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Oh lord, is there a grain of sand in the family oyster? :-(

Young Mary has spawned. A male, apparently.

We've never much liked each other, to be fair. Her late husband was a lovely man and I stayed civil with her in order to see him and the kids. However, with him gone and her having remarried, incivility has returned. There may have been one or two Brexit-related bust-ups as well, but I see them as more symptom than cause.

Burney
01-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Ray White's goose recipe worked a treat, thanks. Breast perfectly pink, legs nice and crispy and unctuous.

Turkey is no more in the WES household on Christmas day, I think. Only downside is that the in-laws loved the goose leftovers and are now likely to show up on the day next year to eat it all. The parasites. :-(

Goose leftovers? I take it you must have done more than one if there were leftovers?

Much as I love a goose, it doesn't go far.

Sir C
01-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Goose leftovers? I take it you must have done more than one if there were leftovers?

Much as I love a goose, it doesn't go far.

I had two 6kg geese and they fed 8 generously, but there wasn't a great deal in the way of leftovers.

Sir C
01-02-2020, 11:08 AM
We've never much liked each other, to be fair. Her late husband was a lovely man and I stayed civil with her in order to see him and the kids. However, with him gone and her having remarried, incivility has returned. There may have been one or two Brexit-related bust-ups as well, but I see them as more symptom than cause.

"God gives us our relatives, thank God we can choose our friends."

Herbert Augustus Chapman
01-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Angry texts? Oh come on b, do share a couple. "Merry Xmas you revolting tory ****" - "Feck of and die you virtue signalling vacuum of a woman".

Did you have no affection for each other ever?

Burney
01-02-2020, 11:20 AM
Angry texts? Oh come on b, do share a couple. "Merry Xmas you revolting tory ****" - "Feck of and die you virtue signalling vacuum of a woman".

Did you have no affection for each other ever?

Oh, no. They weren't about politics. It was much more subtle and passive/aggressive than that.

She's eight years older than me and had left for University by the time I stopped being a little kid, so we're pretty much strangers, to be fair. And when we do meet, we invariably rub each other up the wrong way. So I figure it's easier if we just don't meet.

WES
01-02-2020, 12:00 PM
I had two 6kg geese and they fed 8 generously, but there wasn't a great deal in the way of leftovers.

We ate half the goose only. A 6kg goose for four people. Plus a starter, roast potatoes and veg and bread stuffing. Was loads :nod:

Billy Goat Sverige
01-02-2020, 12:05 PM

I had some ham, meat balls, a bit of salmon quiche.

:-|

Burney
01-02-2020, 12:09 PM
I had some ham, meat balls, a bit of salmon quiche.

:-|

:hehe: Imagine living that near Santa's house and getting Christmas so badly wrong.

I cooked a goose, a ham and a turkey crown (for my stepsons, who profess to like the awful bird). I also had meaty stuffing balls, pigs in blanket, roasties, bread sauce and crispy bacon.

This had all been preceded by a hundredweight or so of little sausages, gravadlax on soda bread and so forth.

Boxing Day was rib of beef with all the trimmings.

I'm happy to say that many, many animals had to make the ultimate sacrifice to meet my seasonal needs. :eat:

WES
01-02-2020, 01:12 PM
:hehe: Imagine living that near Santa's house and getting Christmas so badly wrong.

I cooked a goose, a ham and a turkey crown (for my stepsons, who profess to like the awful bird). I also had meaty stuffing balls, pigs in blanket, roasties, bread sauce and crispy bacon.

This had all been preceded by a hundredweight or so of little sausages, gravadlax on soda bread and so forth.

Boxing Day was rib of beef with all the trimmings.

I'm happy to say that many, many animals had to make the ultimate sacrifice to meet my seasonal needs. :eat:

Good lord, how many did you have over? 78?

Mrs WES is doing veganuary and dry January at the same time. God it's going to be awful around my gaff. :-(

Pokster
01-02-2020, 01:57 PM

Mrs WES is doing veganuary and dry January at the same time. God it's going to be awful around my gaff. :-(

Is dry January a month with no forplay?

Burney
01-02-2020, 02:15 PM

No. Just five, but that did include two teenage boys and the teenage boy can consume more food than the laws of physics would appear to indicate is feasible.

I simply don't get the instinct to make January even more miserable. Sure, you don't eat as much as you did at Christmas, but it's surely the worst time to deny oneself the solace of alcohol?

Pokster
01-02-2020, 02:24 PM

The Tom Kerridge rolled Turkey with inner stuffing was as superb as ever

Burney
01-02-2020, 02:28 PM
The Tom Kerridge rolled Turkey with inner stuffing was as superb as ever

If it isn't stuffed into something, is 'stuffing' even stuffing? :rubchin:

Pokster
01-02-2020, 02:37 PM
If it isn't stuffed into something, is 'stuffing' even stuffing? :rubchin:

Well, you stuff it into your mouth. I would say yes, it is.

Sir C
01-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Well, you stuff it into your mouth. I would say yes, it is.

My glw insists on correct nomenclature; that is to say, stuffing is a breadcrumb-based filler which is poked up the bird, whilst forcemeat is the sausagemeat porky goodness which may be inserted into the bird, or may be cooked seperately.

And people wonder why I beat her. :shrug:

Burney
01-02-2020, 02:42 PM
My glw insists on correct nomenclature; that is to say, stuffing is a breadcrumb-based filler which is poked up the bird, whilst forcemeat is the sausagemeat porky goodness which may be inserted into the bird, or may be cooked seperately.

And people wonder why I beat her. :shrug:

Have you pointed out to her that the word 'force' in that context just derives from the French word for stuffing?

Or would that just cause ructions?

Sir C
01-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Have you pointed out to her that the word 'force' in that context just derives from the French word for stuffing?

Or would that just cause ructions?

She would probably explain to me, clearly, calmly and without displaying any exasperation, that words change and evolve through usage, that etymology is irrelevant to current meaning, and that a language that remains static and bound within strict rules is doomed to die.

And you know what? She'd be right.

She's always right. :-(

Burney
01-02-2020, 02:48 PM
She would probably explain to me, clearly, calmly and without displaying any exasperation, that words change and evolve through usage, that etymology is irrelevant to current meaning, and that a language that remains static and bound within strict rules is doomed to die.

And you know what? She'd be right.

She's always right. :-(

Nonsense. Stuffing that is not stuffed is essentially meatloaf.

Sir C
01-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Nonsense. Stuffing that is not stuffed is essentially meatloaf.

It can't be meatloaf because it's not loaf-shaped and it contains more than meat.

Burney
01-02-2020, 02:57 PM
It can't be meatloaf because it's not loaf-shaped and it contains more than meat.

Who are you to say what shape a loaf is and meatloaf does contain more than meat. Mine contains breadcrumbs soaked in milk, garlic, herbs, Parma Ham and all sorts.

Anyway, the point is that you give in too easily to your wife's intellectual waterboarding and need to stand up for yourself.

Sir C
01-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Who are you to say what shape a loaf is and meatloaf does contain more than meat. Mine contains breadcrumbs soaked in milk, garlic, herbs, Parma Ham and all sorts.

Anyway, the point is that you give in too easily to your wife's intellectual waterboarding and need to stand up for yourself.

I lobbed the goose liver in this year. Then the kidneys. Then I looked at the heart and thought, '**** it.' In it went.

It was exceptional.

And don't think I haven't noticed your foulness, by the way. Bread soaked in milk? Animal.

Burney
01-02-2020, 03:03 PM
I lobbed the goose liver in this year. Then the kidneys. Then I looked at the heart and thought, '**** it.' In it went.

It was exceptional.

And don't think I haven't noticed your foulness, by the way. Bread soaked in milk? Animal.

But if you did that, what did you use to make the giblet gravy? Just the goose's neck?

Incidentally, I can't use the phrase 'goose's neck' without remembering a cricket club visit to a brewery at which the somewhat elderly treasurer got horribly píssed and ended up waving his appendage out of the coach window on the return journey whilst shouting at passing cars "LOOK AT THAT, GIRLS! IT'S LIKE A GOOSE'S NECK!" :hehe:

Oh, and there's Parmesan in it, too. Shedloads of it. It's a Marcella Hazan recipe and is served in a tomato sauce with Porcini and mushroom liquor in it. Terribly good.

Sir C
01-02-2020, 03:07 PM
But if you did that, what did you use to make the giblet gravy? Just the goose's neck?

Incidentally, I can't use the phrase 'goose's neck' without remembering a cricket club visit to a brewery at which the somewhat elderly treasurer got horribly píssed and ended up waving his appendage out of the coach window on the return journey whilst shouting at passing cars "LOOK AT THAT, GIRLS! IT'S LIKE A GOOSE'S NECK!" :hehe:

Oh, and there's Parmesan in it, too. Shedloads of it. It's a Marcella Hazan recipe and is served in a tomato sauce with Porcini and mushroom liquor in it. Terribly good.

I made the stock from the carcass, the wings and the neck.

'Goose's neck.' Nice. :hehe:

redgunamo
01-06-2020, 05:29 PM
Congratulation. Same here, for a few days. Got the tip during my daughter's birthday party on the twenty-third and scrambled down to Durban. Arrived in time to give the poor wee mite a wave through all the glass and that was pretty much that.

Merry Christmas indeed. Pretty little girl too :-(

Burney
01-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Congratulation. Same here, for a few days. Got the tip during my daughter's birthday party on the twenty-third and scrambled down to Durban. Arrived in time to give the poor wee mite a wave through all the glass and that was pretty much that.

Merry Christmas indeed. Pretty little girl too :-(

Oh, mate. I am sorry. :-(

redgunamo
01-06-2020, 10:04 PM
Africans, you see. Unreliable; you never know what they're going to do next.

Still, the villa was good and the beach was better which pleased me. Best of all, no neighbours for miles which would've pleased the FKK, if not the Bring Back Hanging Campaign ;-)

Oh, mate. I am sorry. :-(