PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eaten at The German Gymnasium?

Burney
12-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Been booked in there to take some people out to lunch. Trempted by the Schweinhaxe, but worry that consuming a giant, steaming limb in front of people from whom I want money may not be the best move.

Sir C
12-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Been booked in there to take some people out to lunch. Trempted by the Schweinhaxe, but worry that consuming a giant, steaming limb in front of people from whom I want money may not be the best move.

I've heard conflicting reports about the food. Some say a decent attempt at German specialities. Others say, tourist rip-off shíte. So good luck and let me know.

There is no way of eating Schweinshaxe with dignity, tbh.

Monty92
12-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Spooky. I litewally decided this morning to go for early din dins there on the way back from the game on Sunday.

Sir C
12-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Spooky. I litewally decided this morning to go for early din dins there on the way back from the game on Sunday.

The funny thing is, I thought it was called the German Gymnasium as a refence to school for some reason but then it turns out the building used to be a gymnasium! How amazing is that?

Burney
12-12-2019, 10:09 AM
I've heard conflicting reports about the food. Some say a decent attempt at German specialities. Others say, tourist rip-off shíte. So good luck and let me know.

There is no way of eating Schweinshaxe with dignity, tbh.

Certainly the prices are a touch eye-watering given that these are mostly dishes one would find in most places in Germany for flumpence, but people have to make a living, I suppose.

I notice they do that godawful liver dumpling soup that Alsaciens claim to like. I shan't be ordering that.

Monty92
12-12-2019, 10:10 AM
I’m fully anticipating an ersatz Fischer’s.

But where else you gonna go that’s a stone’s throw from St. Pancras? F*cking Caravan?

The funny thing is, I thought it was called the German Gymnasium as a refence to school for some reason but then it turns out the building used to be a gymnasium! How amazing is that?

Burney
12-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Yes. It's quite interesting how prevalent German restaurants, food, habits and people were in this country before they decided to try and take over world twice in quick succession and murdered millions and everyone went off them a bit.

Sir C
12-12-2019, 10:13 AM
I’m fully anticipating an ersatz Fischer’s.

But where else you gonna go that’s a stone’s throw from St. Pancras? F*cking Caravan?

I rather like The Gilbert Scott, although I haven't been for a couple of years so can't vouch for it recently.

Burney
12-12-2019, 10:19 AM
I rather like The Gilbert Scott, although I haven't been for a couple of years so can't vouch for it recently.

:nod: The crispy bits of pig's head were a particular treat. Don't know if they still do them, mind. Last went there three or four years ago.

Monty92
12-12-2019, 10:22 AM
It’s a lovely restaurant, but it hardly screams “hearty winter’s grub to warm the soul after watching us get anally raped in the freezing cold at the Emirates”

I will be needing schnitzel.

Sir C
12-12-2019, 10:25 AM
It’s a lovely restaurant, but it hardly screams “hearty winter’s grub to warm the soul after watching us get anally raped in the freezing cold at the Emirates”

Actually just across the road from there is a Thai place that is considered by many afficianados to be the best Thai in London. Can't remember what it's called or exactly where it is. HTH.

Sir C
12-12-2019, 10:30 AM
:nod: The crispy bits of pig's head were a particular treat. Don't know if they still do them, mind. Last went there three or four years ago.

I asked the sommelier for a recommendation and he steered me towards an extremely pleasing Gavi di Gavi to accompany the hors d'oeuvres. I am now a confirmed fan of the Gavi, when only a crisp white will do.

Viva Prat Vegas
12-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Monty92 "But where else you gonna go that’s a stone’s throw from St. Pancras? "

Piebury Corner perhaps

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-12-2019, 11:20 AM

I don't suppose a working man like myself can get a decent zigeunerschnitzel and a plate of chips in there?

Sir C
12-12-2019, 11:23 AM
I don't suppose a working man like myself can get a decent zigeunerschnitzel and a plate of chips in there?

I can't believe you'd do anything as bourgeois as eating in a restaurant, h? Surely you devote all your time and energies to working at the food bank and campaigning for Jeremy?

Burney
12-12-2019, 11:23 AM

They do a three-sausage combo as a 'nibble' for a mere £12.80, h. :shrug:

https://www.germangymnasium.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/75/2019/12/GG-Restaurant-ALC-NEW.pdf

barrybueno
12-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Great chance to 'Basil Fawlty' it up B when the waiter mentions Hors d'oeuvres.

'Hors d'oeuvres... vich must be obeyed at all times vizout question!'

Will create a relaxed atmosphere and your financial dealings will all go sweet :thumbup:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-12-2019, 12:45 PM
They do a three-sausage combo as a 'nibble' for a mere £12.80, h. :shrug:

https://www.germangymnasium.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/75/2019/12/GG-Restaurant-ALC-NEW.pdf

What the feck is a Tomahawk schnitzel? Looks like a bit of zigeuner sauce would be beneath this rather pretentious establishment. Do they at least actually import a decent german draught?

Burney
12-12-2019, 12:46 PM
What the feck is a Tomahawk schnitzel? Looks like a bit of zigeuner sauce would be beneath this rather pretentious establishment. Do they at least actually import a decent german draught?

I assume it's like a Tomahawk steak - ie with the rib bone left in so that it resembles a tomahawk.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-12-2019, 01:04 PM
I assume it's like a Tomahawk steak - ie with the rib bone left in so that it resembles a tomahawk.

Hardly suitable for a breadcrumb coating though? I'd crack me dentures!

7sisters
12-12-2019, 01:45 PM

It screams, adapted for tourism to me. Crushed Avacado on toast. WTF is that from an authentic Bosch eatery ?

Now this little place I love. Pwoppa Teutonic grub in a beautiful town but a smidge too far for the Bernster’s business gathering.

https://www.diebsloch.de/

Sir C
12-12-2019, 01:50 PM
It screams, adapted for tourism to me. Crushed Avacado on toast. WTF is that from an authentic Bosch eatery ?

Now this little place I love. Pwoppa Teutonic grub in a beautiful town but a smidge too far for the Bernster’s business gathering.

https://www.diebsloch.de/

Thief's Hole?

Nice.

barrybueno
12-12-2019, 01:52 PM

D'ya think they've managed to get that awful gym odour out of there? Fúck up anywons appetite that would :puke:

Sir C
12-12-2019, 01:55 PM
D'ya think they've managed to get that awful gym odour out of there? Fúck up anywons appetite that would :puke:

If you foirget your kit do you have to eat in your pants? :-(

7sisters
12-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Thief's Hole?

Nice.

Lovely spot, C. If ever you’re hammering down the 5 from Frankfurt

Sir C
12-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Lovely spot, C. If ever you’re hammering down the 5 from Frankfurt

:cloud: I do enjoy ze Cherman food, I must confess. Megalomaniacal jew-murderers they may be, but they know their way around a pig.

barrybueno
12-12-2019, 02:05 PM
If you foirget your kit do you have to eat in your pants? :-(

:hehe: We never had that joy, we had to wear the manky unwashed spare kit from the lost and found :-(