PDA

View Full Version : For all the jot of us winning I know that there will be certain AWIMBers

Pokster
12-10-2019, 07:58 AM
who will be moaning about the ole's more than anything else

Sir C
12-10-2019, 08:26 AM

You realise your initial reaction to us winning is to moan at about some imaginary people doing some imaginary thing that they haven’t even done yet?

That is powerfully odd.

But fair enough, you crack on. This general election campaign has twisted my brain a bit, too.

Pokster
12-10-2019, 08:34 AM
You realise your initial reaction to us winning is to moan at about some imaginary people doing some imaginary thing that they haven’t even done yet?

That is powerfully odd.

But fair enough, you crack on. This general election campaign has twisted my brain a bit, too.

My initial reaction was one of shock, I'm not used to seeing us a) win , b) come from behind and win, c) only let in 1 goal

The general election is done and dusted imo, unless Boris manages to royally **** this up (a fair chance with past history) the Tory party will win and have a majority of 40 or so... we can then look forward to the next 5 yrs :-|

Sir C
12-10-2019, 09:59 AM
My initial reaction was one of shock, I'm not used to seeing us a) win , b) come from behind and win, c) only let in 1 goal

The general election is done and dusted imo, unless Boris manages to royally **** this up (a fair chance with past history) the Tory party will win and have a majority of 40 or so... we can then look forward to the next 5 yrs :-|

It's looking far too close for comfort now. At a 6/7% difference we're in hung parliament territory. :-(

Burney
12-10-2019, 10:06 AM
It's looking far too close for comfort now. At a 6/7% difference we're in hung parliament territory. :-(

Not really. As I said yesterday, Cameron won a working majority with a six-point lead. :shrug: And that is very much at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of the level of Boris's lead. We've all been conditioned to be negative after 2017 and that's fair enough, but there is far more reason to be positive than negative at the moment.

Sir C
12-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Not really. As I said yesterday, Cameron won a working majority with a six-point lead. :shrug: And that is very much at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of the level of Boris's lead. We've all been conditioned to be negative after 2017 and that's fair enough, but there is far more reason to be positive than negative at the moment.

What if the leftwaffe have targeted the right marginal seats? What if the BP nicks the wrong votes in the wrong places?

It's far too tight for comfort.

Pat Vegas
12-10-2019, 10:17 AM

I assumed they were ironic.

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:17 AM
What if the leftwaffe have targeted the right marginal seats? What if the BP nicks the wrong votes in the wrong places?

It's far too tight for comfort.

Boris being Boris is probably the biggest concern for the Tory party, the photo/phone incident yesterday does nothing to help people think he doesn't actually give a **** about the public

Sir C
12-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Boris being Boris is probably the biggest concern for the Tory party, the photo/phone incident yesterday does nothing to help people think he doesn't actually give a **** about the public

What, the bit where he looked at the picture, said it's a horrible thing, apologised and made the point that he would be looking to increase spending on the NHS?

Honestly. I think there is some sort of mass hysteria going around. People only see and hear what they want to see and hear, despite the clear ***king evidence ot he contrary.

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:23 AM
What, the bit where he looked at the picture, said it's a horrible thing, apologised and made the point that he would be looking to increase spending on the NHS?

Honestly. I think there is some sort of mass hysteria going around. People only see and hear what they want to see and hear, despite the clear ***king evidence ot he contrary.

The bit where he repeatedly refused to look at the picture, took the phone off the reporter and put it in the pocket...that bit of evidence

Sir C
12-10-2019, 10:25 AM
The bit where he repeatedly refused to look at the picture, took the phone off the reporter and put it in the pocket...that bit of evidence

HE LOOKED AT THE PICTURE! How long did you want him to stare at it? How weak would he be to pander to a 'journalist' who had descended to the gutter for the sake of a cheap emotional blackmail stunt?

Burney
12-10-2019, 10:29 AM

How many pictures would you like me to show you of him looking at the phone?

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:30 AM
HE LOOKED AT THE PICTURE! How long did you want him to stare at it? How weak would he be to pander to a 'journalist' who had descended to the gutter for the sake of a cheap emotional blackmail stunt?

It's the refusinmg to look at it, and not wanting to talk about it that makes the news, he could have looked straight away and said "that is why we are leaving the EU, so we can spend extra money on the NHS", since that was on his battle bus in 2016 it would have made sense.

So Boris being Boris is an issue

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-10-2019, 10:30 AM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:31 AM
How many pictures would you like me to show you of him looking at the phone?

After he took it off the reporter and stuck it in his pocket, you are trying top defend something that all the major news outlets have commented on. He could have headed this off at the pass

Burney
12-10-2019, 10:37 AM
After he took it off the reporter and stuck it in his pocket, you are trying top defend something that all the major news outlets have commented on. He could have headed this off at the pass

They're making a big deal of it because they're desperate for anything that they think will damage him. They are therefore not showing his full reaction, which was to engage with the picture, say it was bad and say he was going to spend more money on the NHS. He then absent-mindedly put the phone in his pocket, only to return it almost immediately with his apologies.

But that doesn't make such a good story, does it? And you're only selecting the bits of the story you like.

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:39 AM
They're making a big deal of it because they're desperate for anything that they think will damage him. They are therefore not showing his full reaction, which was to engage with the picture, say it was bad and say he was going to spend more money on the NHS. He then absent-mindedly put the phone in his pocket, only to return it almost immediately with his apologies.

But that doesn't make such a good story, does it? And you're only selecting the bits of the story you like.

Well strangely enough isn't thay how news works, outlets will take the parts that make headlines and use them...he ****ed up the way he handled it and could have got away with it

My original point that Boris being boris is the only concern the Tory party has, Labour aren't electable and Corbyn is an even bigger liabilty than Boris.

Burney
12-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Well strangely enough isn't thay how news works, outlets will take the parts that make headlines and use them...he ****ed up the way he handled it and could have got away with it

My original point that Boris being boris is the only concern the Tory party has, Labour aren't electable and Corbyn is an even bigger liabilty than Boris.

Having been a journalist for nearly 25 years, I'm well aware how news works, thanks.

However, it behoves intelligent people to look beyond the surface of a story and seek the actual truth. It also behoves them to examine the motives of the journalists involved and judge the story accordingly.

The only reason not to do so is because you're seeing what you want rather than what's actually there.

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Having been a journalist for nearly 25 years, I'm well aware how news works, thanks.

However, it behoves intelligent people to look beyond the surface of a story and seek the actual truth. It also behoves them to examine the motives of the journalists involved and judge the story accordingly.

The only reason not to do so is because you're seeing what you want rather than what's actually there.

Well since you can't see what's in front of you. The Daily Mail, who are as pro Tory as possible in this election have the following.

Questioned by ITV News yesterday, Mr Johnson initially refused to look at the photo of Jack on the reporter's phone before taking the phone and putting it in his pocket

In a bizarre spat on Monday, Boris Johnson took an ITV reporter's phone and put it in his pocket after being confronted with the picture of Jack Williment.

Questioned by ITV News yesterday, Mr Johnson initially refused to look at the photo of Jack on the reporter's phone before taking the phone and putting it in his pocket.

Those are just from 1 news story, so I know you are massively pro Tory but wake up and see it was a PR cock up that he could have avoided.

Sir C
12-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Mass hysteria, I'm telling you. The proles have been informed that Trump is bad, Boris is bad, Greta is good... and they believe. Man how they believe. The BBC might as well drop the pretence and just stick up a picture of Boris' face on the screen at 8 pm each day so everyone can have a good old 10 Minute Hate.

Burney
12-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Well since you can't see what's in front of you. The Daily Mail, who are as pro Tory as possible in this election have the following.

Questioned by ITV News yesterday, Mr Johnson initially refused to look at the photo of Jack on the reporter's phone before taking the phone and putting it in his pocket

In a bizarre spat on Monday, Boris Johnson took an ITV reporter's phone and put it in his pocket after being confronted with the picture of Jack Williment.

Questioned by ITV News yesterday, Mr Johnson initially refused to look at the photo of Jack on the reporter's phone before taking the phone and putting it in his pocket.

Those are just from 1 news story, so I know you are massively pro Tory but wake up and see it was a PR cock up that he could have avoided.

The Mail, which is edited by arch-remainer Geordie Greig, who has opposed Boris as much as possible while trying not to alienate his readership completely.

You see? This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Look a bit deeper.

Burney
12-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Mass hysteria, I'm telling you. The proles have been informed that Trump is bad, Boris is bad, Greta is good... and they believe. Man how they believe. The BBC might as well drop the pretence and just stick up a picture of Boris' face on the screen at 8 pm each day so everyone can have a good old 10 Minute Hate.

Oh, I don't think the proles are buying it at all. It's playing well with people like p who already hate Boris, but that's about it.

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:54 AM
The Mail, which is edited by arch-remainer Geordie Greig, who has opposed Boris as much as possible while trying not to alienate his readership completely.

You see? This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Look a bit deeper.

My god you seriously believe that don't you :hehe:

Every day they are so pro Tory. "how to vote tactically to make sure Boris wins"

Nearly every article at the moment is laying into Corbyn while urging people to vote Conservative

Burney
12-10-2019, 10:56 AM
My god you seriously believe that don't you :hehe:

Every day they are so pro Tory. "how to vote tactically to make sure Boris wins"

Nearly every article at the moment is laying into Corbyn while urging people to vote Conservative

:sigh: :rolleyes:

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/guardian-calls-striking-change-in-daily-mails-brexit-coverage-after-paul-dacre-exit-a-media-and-political-milestone/

Pokster
12-10-2019, 10:58 AM
:sigh: :rolleyes:

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/guardian-calls-striking-change-in-daily-mails-brexit-coverage-after-paul-dacre-exit-a-media-and-political-milestone/

:sigh: :rolleyes: so use a 2018 article to try to make out that the mail aren't pro Tory in the 2019 election. good work wd b

Burney
12-10-2019, 11:06 AM
:sigh: :rolleyes: so use a 2018 article to try to make out that the mail aren't pro Tory in the 2019 election. good work wd b

I'm telling you something you clearly didn't know about the Mail editor's attitude to both Brexit and Johnson that gives context to the way in which his paper has reported this.
Is the Mail broadly pro-Tory? Yes, because if it weren't, it would lose its readership pretty much overnight. Does that mean the Mail won't take an opportunity to make Boris look bad? Absolutely not.
I'm sorry if you lack the ability to grasp that this isn't black-and-white, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try and explain it to you.

Pokster
12-10-2019, 11:11 AM
I'm telling you something you clearly didn't know about the Mail editor's attitude to both Brexit and Johnson that gives context to the way in which his paper has reported this.
Is the Mail broadly pro-Tory? Yes, because if it weren't, it would lose its readership pretty much overnight. Does that mean the Mail won't take an opportunity to make Boris look bad? Absolutely not.
I'm sorry if you lack the ability to grasp that this isn't black-and-white, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try and explain it to you.

I said they are pro Tory (not broadly pro Tory) in this election, that was the point I made. And reading all the articles today they are far more anti Labour/Corbyn than anti Boris, in fact the story about the NHS is half way down and surrounded by anti labour articles.

I am fully aware that it isn't black and white and i am happy that we disagree, but we might as well leave it there as this will go back and forth all day otherwise