PDA

View Full Version : We appear to have a league game on Thursday.

Sir C
12-02-2019, 01:34 PM
And it kicks off at 20:15.

What satanic noinsense is this now?

God alone know what the Thursday business is about, but evening games kick off at 19:30. A 20:15 kick off means leaving the stadium at, what, 10 pm? :yikes: You're not going to get home until 11! On a weeknight! :yikes:

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 01:36 PM

God alone know what the Thursday business is about, but evening games kick off at 19:30. A 20:15 kick off means leaving the stadium at, what, 10 pm? :yikes: You're not going to get home until 11! On a weeknight! :yikes:

Even weirderer it's on Amazon prime

Sir C
12-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Free delivery? Nice.

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Free delivery? Nice.

:nod: might be a bit annoying have a bunch of crap players running around your house though.

IUFG
12-02-2019, 01:51 PM
:nod: might be a bit annoying have a bunch of crap players running around your house though.

talking of crap players, has anyone mentioned Mustafi getting absolutely rinsed yesterday?

:hehe:

PSRB
12-02-2019, 01:52 PM

Although I like the Boxing Day format, just choose the game you want to watch. Which is how it should be

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 01:53 PM

:hehe: At least they wouldn't get in the way, you could move around quite freely. Wouldn't even know they were there tbh.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Although I like the Boxing Day format, just choose the game you want to watch. Which is how it should be

********** free 30 day trial ********** is what I've read, or dreamt :rubchin:

PSRB
12-02-2019, 01:58 PM
talking of crap players, has anyone mentioned Mustafi getting absolutely rinsed yesterday?

Chambers had a mare as well

Sir C
12-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Chambers had a mare as well

Chambers looked like a man doing a (bad) impression of a professional footballer.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 02:01 PM

I covered it :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by bbrian View Post
Xhaka was brutal today , as was Lacca and Willock . For all the shīt Mustafi gets he is as good a defender as we have ....

Blimey you are in the shít then, the way that Norwich bloke turned him inside out in the second half was ridicules.

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 02:15 PM
:hehe: At least they wouldn't get in the way, you could move around quite freely. Wouldn't even know they were there tbh.

At least Emery is gone. I can imagine shouting at him to move out the way of the telly whilst he stands there rubbing his chin and saying ogood evening everytime he sees me.

Burney
12-02-2019, 02:16 PM

I've always felt that the restrictions on live TV coverage represent a rather shameful admission by the football authorities that - for all their talk about what a great 'product' it is - a significant percentage of football fans wouldn't bother attending live football if it weren't the only means of seeing the game.

That seems to me to suggest that they know just what a load of shít the 'matchday experience' really is.

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 02:17 PM

:nod: I can never understand it, I know the 3pm kick off rule thing but sometimes on other days there are games on simulationulsy that you can't watch.

However the rest of the world does. If they gave you the option to pay to watch them I am sure it would cut down piracy.

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 02:18 PM
I've always felt that the restrictions on live TV coverage represent a rather shameful admission by the football authorities that - for all their talk about what a great 'product' it is - a significant percentage of football fans wouldn't bother attending live football if it weren't the only means of seeing the game.

That seems to me to suggest that they know just what a load of shít the 'matchday experience' really is.

:nod: and depending on what team you support there was a time where if you wanted to go to Highbury you'd have no chance if you are just joe public. so you'd have to go see mr tout.

PSRB
12-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Chambers looked like a man doing a (bad) impression of a professional footballer.

:nod: I was rather surprised the ref didn't put him out of his misery and send him off

IUFG
12-02-2019, 02:38 PM
:nod: I can never understand it, I know the 3pm kick off rule thing but sometimes on other days there are games on simulationulsy that you can't watch.

However the rest of the world does. If they gave you the option to pay to watch them I am sure it would cut down piracy.

The blackout rule is completely anachronistic. No other country does the same, and, I'm sure I've read that, there is no evidence that 3pm Satursday broadcasrs would negatively impact on attendances lower down the leagues.

and, I'd happily pay £5 per match to watch at home and avoid all the unnecessary business of attending matches. I'd pick and choose which ones to attend in person, of course, and let those reds have a stab at tickets.

Burney
12-02-2019, 02:41 PM
The blackout rule is completely anachronistic. No other country does the same, and, I'm sure I've read that, there is no evidence that 3pm Satursday broadcasrs would negatively impact on attendances lower down the leagues.

and, I'd happily pay £5 per match to watch at home and avoid all the unnecessary business of attending matches. I'd pick and choose which ones to attend in person, of course, and let those reds have a stab at tickets.

:nod: I simply don't believe that there are Doncaster Rovers season ticket holders who would stop attending home games because Man U are on the telly. I just don't think football fandom works like that.

WES
12-02-2019, 02:41 PM

I was pretty shocked when I discovered that English football wasn't shown live here for the reasons you describe.

I was told at the time that the issue was not so much that Arsenal or Chelsea or Liverpool supporters wouldn't go watch their teams, but that the 1st, 2nd division and lower division's supporters wouldn't do so.

I'm not so sure :rubchin:

Pokster
12-02-2019, 02:43 PM
I was pretty shocked when I discovered that English football wasn't shown live here for the reasons you describe.

I was told at the time that the issue was not so much that Arsenal or Chelsea or Liverpool supporters wouldn't go watch their teams, but that the 1st, 2nd division and lower division's supporters wouldn't do so.

I'm not so sure :rubchin:

Enough of the lower leagues fans would stay at home and that would have a massive effect on their finances. Not sure many of the better Championship clubs would see much difference.

You can watch the highlights of every game within minutes anyway so it osn't really a big deal.

Would be interesting to compare Championship midweek attendances from last season as you can watch all those games live on the red buitton now

Ash
12-02-2019, 02:44 PM

!9:45, Shirley?

And the ten minute half time, only one substitution days are long gone, my friend. And we have a thing called VAR which adds another 10 minutes to a match, so not much change out of a 10:30 egress. After beddybyes for some, that is. :old:

Ash
12-02-2019, 02:47 PM

I find it far less stressful to attend than watch on television, for some reason. Probably because there are mechanisms of letting off a bit of steam. Calling Xhaka dreadful things and booing constantly, for example. :nod:

Burney
12-02-2019, 02:52 PM
I find it far less stressful to attend than watch on television, for some reason. Probably because there are mechanisms of letting off a bit of steam. Calling Xhaka dreadful things and booing constantly, for example. :nod:

Actually, that's true. Although one of the things I quite like about our current awfulness is that it's almost relaxing watching games where it doesn't really matter what happens. Games back when every point counted were almost unbearable.

Burney
12-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Enough of the lower leagues fans would stay at home and that would have a massive effect on their finances. Not sure many of the better Championship clubs would see much difference.

You can watch the highlights of every game within minutes anyway so it osn't really a big deal.

Would be interesting to compare Championship midweek attendances from last season as you can watch all those games live on the red buitton now

Do we have any actual proof of this?

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 02:56 PM

I'm guessing surveys have been done but they'd be about as useful as an exit poll. What people say isn't always what they would actually do. Just show the 3pm's for a season and see imo.

Sir C
12-02-2019, 02:57 PM

:hehe: This is one of those internet things. If you were having a chat down the pub and yer man said, 'Most football fans would prefer lager to brown sauce', you might reply, 'I'm not so sure...'

On tinternet though, 'Citation required!' or 'Link?' Opinions must be backed by evidence, generall meaning a Wikipedia article. :hehe:

Funny old world we've made.

Pokster
12-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Not sure if anyone has ever done a survey, so no idea, but i am fairly confident that a 200 mile round trip for away fans won't seen so appealing.

PSRB
12-02-2019, 03:03 PM
Not sure if anyone has ever done a survey, so no idea, but i am fairly confident that a 200 mile round trip for away fans won't seen so appealing.

I can't believe a few people and a dog not travelling to an away game would have any noticeable affect on club finances

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:05 PM

The sort of people who are prepared to make 200-mile round trips to watch lower league football are going to do it whether the PL is on telly or not. Because they're basically mentally ill.
To an extent, my feeling is that that applies to anyone who'd even cross the road to watch 'their' awful team play awful football. Because it's not about the quality of the football, it's about who you support. And Man City vs. Liverpool is as remote to those people as Real Madrid v Barcelona is to us. It could be the greatest sporting spectacle on earth, but if neither of them is 'your' team, it's not going to compare, is it?

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:08 PM
:hehe: This is one of those internet things. If you were having a chat down the pub and yer man said, 'Most football fans would prefer lager to brown sauce', you might reply, 'I'm not so sure...'

On tinternet though, 'Citation required!' or 'Link?' Opinions must be backed by evidence, generall meaning a Wikipedia article. :hehe:

Funny old world we've made.

I wasn't really doing that, though. I was genuinely asking if there was any support for this received wisdom or whether it was just what the football authorities reckon based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever. I know p is a referee or some sort of FA lackey, so wondered if he actually knew something.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 03:09 PM
I can't believe a few people and a dog not travelling to an away game would have any noticeable affect on club finances

Does the dog get in free? :rubchin:

Sir C
12-02-2019, 03:09 PM
I wasn't really doing that, though. I was genuinely asking if there was any support for this received wisdom or whether it was just what the football authorities reckon based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever. I know p is a referee or some sort of FA lackey, so wondered if he actually knew something.

:-( Disappointing.

Sir C
12-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Actually, that's true. Although one of the things I quite like about our current awfulness is that it's almost relaxing watching games where it doesn't really matter what happens. Games back when every point counted were almost unbearable.

Actually yetserday was horrible because it felt like it mattered again.

I can't cope with the stress.

Ash
12-02-2019, 03:12 PM

Mid-table Jealousy Syndrome.

Oh to be a mid-table club where you don't have to win all the time, and four points out of every nine (WDL) is comfortable.

Trouble is we're going at about two points out of every nine. :-( :goingdown:

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Does the dog get in free? :rubchin:

Only if you're a blindoid imo. And if you're blind and travel 200 miles to stand in the cold listening to your football team while surrounded by other social inadequates, you should probably be sectioned.

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Mid-table Jealousy Syndrome.

Oh to be a mid-table club where you don't have to win all the time, and four points out of every nine (WDL) is comfortable.

Trouble is we're going at about two points out of every nine. :-( :goingdown:

You had me vaguely interested for a second there, so I looked at the league positions and we're currently 8th, only one point behind 5th place. However, there are only 7 points between us and relegation! :yikes:

Putting to one side the unlikely event of us being relegated, that's a pretty savage indictment of the standard of the PL outside the top 4.

IUFG
12-02-2019, 03:33 PM

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:62008CC0403&rid=3

point 209

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:36 PM
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:62008CC0403&rid=3

point 209

Fúcking hell, iufg! Did you look that up or just actually know it?

If the latter, I applaud your massive, massive deviancy.

That's right up there with watching U-19 games or knowing about woman football imo.

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Actually yetserday was horrible because it felt like it mattered again.

I can't cope with the stress.

Freddie 'Unbeaten' Ljungberg's record is intact imo.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 03:38 PM

That's right up there with watching U-19 games or knowing about woman football imo.

It's right up there with knowing the U-19 reserve keepers favourite album!

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:40 PM
It's right up there with knowing the U-19 reserve keepers favourite album!

They don't have albums any more, do they? They all just listen to Grime and Drill and that.

IUFG
12-02-2019, 03:41 PM

I remember the case about using forrin subscriptions to watch English football on Saturday 3pms.

European Law prevents the UK from banning people having forrin subscriptions (from within the EU). The FL and PL did try the old lower attendances routine and it was addressed. Anyway, the PL got around all of this by claiming copyright on the PL logo. Any 3pm broadcast to forrin channels has to have the PL logo displayed on the screeen at all times. Thus if it is watched in the UK without their permission, it is a breach of copyright.

Load of old bollócks.

Burney
12-02-2019, 03:45 PM
I remember the case about using forrin subscriptions to watch English football on Saturday 3pms.

European Law prevents the UK from banning people having forrin subscriptions (from within the EU). The FL and PL did try the old lower attendances routine and it was addressed. Anyway, the PL got around all of this by claiming copyright on the PL logo. Any 3pm broadcast to forrin channels has to have the PL logo displayed on the screeen at all times. Thus if it is watched in the UK without their permission, it is a breach of copyright.

Load of old bollócks.

That is a very long way of saying 'I am a colossal pervert who regularly knocks one out to the Rothmans Football Yearbook' imo.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 03:50 PM
They don't have albums any more, do they? They all just listen to Grime and Drill and that.

Thankfully I don't know of this Grime & Drill outfit. Back in my day it was Mel & Kim :-)

IUFG
12-02-2019, 03:51 PM
That is a very long way of saying 'I am a colossal pervert who regularly knocks one out to the Rothmans Football Yearbook' imo.

I used to do some work on decrypting satellite tv with RSA algorithms.

Ah, back in the day you could unscramble a broadcasters entire MUX from codes on the internets :cloud9:

It is alleged, I said alleged, that NDS leaked the source code for ITV digital onto the internet.
Who supplies Sky's encryption, I hear you ask? Have a guess...

IUFG
12-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Thankfully I don't know of this Grime & Drill outfit. Back in my day it was Mel & Kim :-)

Respectable, b

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Respectable, b

:hehe: Ahh if only it was 1987 again...

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:08 PM

cor, I wish

:cloud9:

Burney
12-02-2019, 04:16 PM

I discovered fingering in 1987. I don't mean I invented it. I'm pretty sure it was a thing before that, but 1987 was when I first got in on the act.

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:21 PM
I discovered fingering in 1987. I don't mean I invented it. I'm pretty sure it was a thing before that, but 1987 was when I first got in on the act.

https://i49.vbox7.com/o/86c/86c429750.jpg

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 04:23 PM

:hehe::hehe: Hold on, we're talking about saxophone practise right :-O

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:25 PM

the saxaphone.

A saxophone and a Yamaha DX7 - the pop soundtrack to the 80s.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 04:29 PM
https://i49.vbox7.com/o/86c/86c429750.jpg

:hehe: Watched that again recently, got some great moments in it.

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:32 PM
:hehe: Watched that again recently, got some great moments in it.

GAIL SWALLOWS! :hehe:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-09-2017/JzwsDB.gif

Burney
12-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Here's what's crazy, bb: Back then it was fine to finger 14 year-old girls. Now I'd end up on a register. What's changed? I'm better at it now than I was then, too! That's got to count for something, surely?

World's gone mental imo. Political correctness gone mad. :shrug:

Ash
12-02-2019, 04:38 PM
the saxaphone.

Thank goodness for the nineties imo.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 04:38 PM
GAIL SWALLOWS! :hehe:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-09-2017/JzwsDB.gif

:hehe: Love the sheriff :bow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2B8hiN_SI

Burney
12-02-2019, 04:39 PM
the saxaphone.

Nothing dates a song more than a saxophone solo. Thankfully, I think they were outlawed in about 1989.

redgunamo
12-02-2019, 04:39 PM
No more clean sheets though.

redgunamo
12-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Oh? Who did you finger and what had he done?

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Thank goodness for the nineties imo.

the late 80s were mighty fine :rolandtb303:

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 04:45 PM
No more clean sheets though.

:hehe: This is true r

redgunamo
12-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Never heard of Grime but Drill is a style of particularly dark and miserable rap music from the legendary Woodlawn precinct in Chicago.

Herbie Hancock is probably turning in his grave.

Burney
12-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Oh? Who did you finger and what had he done?

I don't actually remember the name of the first girl whose knickers I got into. I want to say 'Michelle', but that's a total guess. She had dark hair. That's about the extent of my memory. I could have passed her in the street a hundred times since and had no idea.

The girl with whom I first performed The Act contacted me on LinkedIn a few months ago, though. That was a bit weird.

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:51 PM
The girl with whom I first performed The Act contacted me on LinkedIn a few months ago, though. That was a bit weird.

LinkedIn is just a bit weird, tbh

Burney
12-02-2019, 04:52 PM
the late 80s were mighty fine :rolandtb303:

They were OK apart from all the saxophone. I have a deep and abiding hatred of the saxophone now. You might call me a saxophobe.
I don't care what Sir C and Peter say about yer man out of Bruce Springsteen's band. The saxophone is one of the worst instruments ever devised.

Burney
12-02-2019, 04:52 PM
LinkedIn is just a bit weird, tbh

I strongly recommend a Twitter account called The State of LinkedIn, which highlights the worst examples of motivational humblebragging on there.

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:57 PM
I strongly recommend a Twitter account called The State of LinkedIn, which highlights the worst examples of motivational humblebragging on there.

yeah, I have seen it.

Alexa...

Did you see the one about making the job applicants wait for hours in reception? total horse ****, of course :hehe:

IUFG
12-02-2019, 04:58 PM
The saxophone is one of the worst instruments ever devised.

:nod: the pariah of the brass section

Burney
12-02-2019, 05:03 PM
:nod: the pariah of the brass section

:nod: And a terrible encourager of... :shudder: ...jazz :-(

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-02-2019, 05:05 PM
It could be the greatest sporting spectacle on earth, but if neither of them is 'your' team, it's not going to compare, is it?

whatsoever of the pleasure one derives from the visceral, almost sensual loathing one has for a rival's team. I will actually fork out a tenner on NOW TV to watch United in the hope of seeing them lose and if they establish a lead I'll switch off in disgust. I am a wretch :cry:

Pokster
12-03-2019, 07:59 AM
The sort of people who are prepared to make 200-mile round trips to watch lower league football are going to do it whether the PL is on telly or not. Because they're basically mentally ill.
To an extent, my feeling is that that applies to anyone who'd even cross the road to watch 'their' awful team play awful football. Because it's not about the quality of the football, it's about who you support. And Man City vs. Liverpool is as remote to those people as Real Madrid v Barcelona is to us. It could be the greatest sporting spectacle on earth, but if neither of them is 'your' team, it's not going to compare, is it?

But not everyone who goes to a football match actually has either of those teams as their main team. plenty of people I know will go to watch a match on a weekend when their team is away as they want to watch a game. If their team was on TV then they wouldn't go, so attendances will suffer.

redgunamo
12-05-2019, 08:49 AM
The matchday experience is fine, I think, so long as you actually want to enjoy going to football matches. So many different and often new, demands on everyone's time (and money) nowadays and football is just trying to compete, stay in the game, so to speak.