PDA

View Full Version : When defrosting wons car.

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 08:30 AM
What’s the point of the rear window having heating and defrosts in 30 seconds yet the windscreen takes a year.

Nobody looks out the back. Plus being a city boy I am not used to this malarkey.

PSRB
12-02-2019, 09:13 AM
What’s the point of the rear window having heating and defrosts in 30 seconds yet the windscreen takes a year.

Nobody looks out the back. Plus being a city boy I am not used to this malarkey.

My rear window defroster is bloody awful, the front won is soooo much quicker!

Pokster
12-02-2019, 09:16 AM

Own a Ford, front clears in seconds

Sir C
12-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Heated windscreens are great! Until you get a stone chip, and a new screen costs a grand :-(

Burney
12-02-2019, 09:29 AM
Heated windscreens are great! Until you get a stone chip, and a new screen costs a grand :-(

I just do the thing where I heat up my car before I get into it. I can happily munch my breakfast while it gets on with making everything nice and toasty for me when I get into it. It was lovely this morning. It was tropical in there. :cloud9:

Pokster
12-02-2019, 09:30 AM
I just do the thing where I heat up my car before I get into it. I can happily munch my breakfast while it gets on with making everything nice and toasty for me when I get into it. It was lovely this morning. It was tropical in there. :cloud9:

And when your car gets stolen the insurance company wont pay out

Billy Goat Sverige
12-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Such trivial problems :-)

https://i.ibb.co/8PZPbhN/8-E48-ABAE-76-EE-4-B35-8709-A0-F4-A481-C76-D.jpg

Sir C
12-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Yes, that is indeed the danger, unless one lives in a gated, walled compound, safe from pikies and common elements. :cloud9:

Just Trent
12-02-2019, 09:38 AM

Have you tried a kettle full of boiling* water?

* I wouldn’t advise it.

Burney
12-02-2019, 09:40 AM

LOL! I don't live in the north, p. I live on a nice quiet cul-de-sac full of nice, respectable old people that no-one ever comes down. I can also see my car on the drive from where I'm eating breakfast, so it would require a remarkably adept car thief to achieve this feat.

Ash
12-02-2019, 09:42 AM

If you hold your breath for five or ten minutes, you should find this helps. :thumbup:

PSRB
12-02-2019, 09:44 AM

:hehe: Yes, I should imagine it's a leetle beet worse there

PSRB
12-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Have you tried a kettle full of boiling* water?

* I wouldn’t advise it.

A sandwich bag filled with warm water is the best way

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-02-2019, 09:47 AM
LOL! I don't live in the north, p. I live on a nice quiet cul-de-sac full of nice, respectable old people that no-one ever comes down. I can also see my car on the drive from where I'm eating breakfast, so it would require a remarkably adept car thief to achieve this feat.

And what of the appalling and profligate waste of fuel and the needless pollution of the atmosphere just because you want to step into a warm car? * You are single-handedly responsible for the impending climate catastrophe!

BTW, thieves don't tend to saunter up to the car and give you a little wave before making themselves comfortable, strapping themselves in and cautiously exiting your driveway b. They tend to be sickeningly quick at what they do, rather like weasels.

* may do the same thing myself.

Burney
12-02-2019, 09:48 AM

I really do think that having regularly visited Scandinavia in winter has made me much more sanguine about British winters. I simply don't know how you people cope. I'd fúcking learn to hibernate - or just top myself.

AFC East
12-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Have you considered a garage for your car?

Burney
12-02-2019, 09:55 AM
And what of the appalling and profligate waste of fuel and the needless pollution of the atmosphere just because you want to step into a warm car? * You are single-handedly responsible for the impending climate catastrophe!

BTW, thieves don't tend to saunter up to the car and give you a little wave before making themselves comfortable, strapping themselves in and cautiously exiting your driveway b. They tend to be sickeningly quick at what they do, rather like weasels.

* may do the same thing myself.

What of it?

And, because I don't live in some shíthole like London or the north, I'm prepared to take the risk that there aren't hordes of opportunistic car thieves prowling the streets at 6.30 on a freezing weekday morning. Call me a devil-may-care renegade, but there we are.

Sir C
12-02-2019, 09:57 AM
What of it?

And, because I don't live in some shíthole like London or the north, I'm prepared to take the risk that there aren't hordes of opportunistic car thieves prowling the streets at 6.30 on a freezing weekday morning. Call me a devil-may-care renegade, but there we are.

Have you moved to Brigadoon?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-02-2019, 09:58 AM
What of it?

And the fact you drive an Austin Allegro or some such probably excludes you from the target list too.

Pokster

They would take 1 long look at you and carry on regardless, your hands have never beaten the daylights out of anyone I'd guess (this sounds like a Blackadder sketch)

Ash
Have you considered a garage for your car?

Cars outgrew most garages years ago. I saw a Triumph Herald the other day - a car my dad had when I was a kid (and also a tiny Austin something on the same walk). About half the size of today's 'mini', but would actually fit into a standard metroland single garage, unlike the monsters today.

Pokster
12-02-2019, 09:59 AM
What of it?

You live is a ****hole in Hertfordshire instead!

Sir C
12-02-2019, 10:00 AM
They would take 1 long look at you and carry on regardless, your hands have never beaten the daylights out of anyone I'd guess (this sounds like a Blackadder sketch)

I once watched a chap stroll up to my car, open the door and drive away. (Keys were in the ignition). There was precisely zero time to react.

The whole scene took place about 20 yards from me.

Burney
12-02-2019, 10:04 AM
You live is a ****hole in Hertfordshire instead!

What an angry chap you are. :hehe:

My apparently limitless capacity for getting the vein in your temple throbbing is one of the few reasons I still bother with this place. :hehe:

Billy Goat Sverige
12-02-2019, 10:07 AM
I really do think that having regularly visited Scandinavia in winter has made me much more sanguine about British winters. I simply don't know how you people cope. I'd fúcking learn to hibernate - or just top myself.

I got used to it after the second one. For me the worst thing is when it warms up a bit in the middle of winter because everywhere becomes a ****ing ice hazard.

Burney
12-02-2019, 10:13 AM
I got used to it after the second one. For me the worst thing is when it warms up a bit in the middle of winter because everywhere becomes a ****ing ice hazard.

Leaving the house must just seem such a horrible notion, though. :-(

Sir C
12-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Leaving the house must just seem such a horrible notion, though. :-(

I have only left the safety of the compound once in the last 22 days :cloud9:

I've got a funeral tomorrow but after that I may not step foot outside again until mid-January.

Pokster
12-02-2019, 10:20 AM
What an angry chap you are. :hehe:

My apparently limitless capacity for getting the vein in your temple throbbing is one of the few reasons I still bother with this place. :hehe:

You don't! So don't let that stop you leaving :D

Ware is actually quite nice for somewhere down South

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 10:21 AM

I am thinking of getting a Kuga

Burney
12-02-2019, 10:22 AM
I have only left the safety of the compound once in the last 22 days :cloud9:

I've got a funeral tomorrow but after that I may not step foot outside again until mid-January.

I'm sorry to hear that? Anyone close?

Sir C
12-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Cars outgrew most garages years ago. I saw a Triumph Herald the other day - a car my dad had when I was a kid (and also a tiny Austin something on the same walk). About half the size of today's 'mini', but would actually fit into a standard metroland single garage, unlike the monsters today.

Do you know that garages don't count as parking facilities according to planning regs any more? Planners have long acknowledged that no one uses a garage to store a car any more.

Pat Vegas
12-02-2019, 10:23 AM
A sandwich bag filled with warm water is the best way

But that will lead to having a soggy sandwhich :-(

Sir C
12-02-2019, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear that? Anyone close?

Ex BiL. Irish won. Lovely man. Taught me to play football and to drum.

Lifelong navvy and drunk. The classic Irishman in UK scenario in the 70s - would work on the building site all week, collect his wages on Friday afternoon, exchange the whole lot for Guinness and stagger home to piss in the wardrobe. wd Sons of eireann. wd jb.

Everyone loved him, natch. Even my sister.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-02-2019, 10:40 AM

The heaviest thing berni ever lifts is his Daily Telegraph, second only to his own dick. If they attempted to steal his car just as he was fulminating about some rascally left wing mischief reported by said DT, he would confront them with the strength of The Hulk

Burney
12-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Ex BiL. Irish won. Lovely man. Taught me to play football and to drum.

Lifelong navvy and drunk. The classic Irishman in UK scenario in the 70s - would work on the building site all week, collect his wages on Friday afternoon, exchange the whole lot for Guinness and stagger home to piss in the wardrobe. wd Sons of eireann. wd jb.

Everyone loved him, natch. Even my sister.

I'm sorry. Was it the drink that got him?

Sir C
12-02-2019, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry. Was it the drink that got him?

Oh I don't suppose it's your fault, b.

The drink, the fags, the general squalor, I suppose. He had various ailments and eventually the pneumonia took him, I think.

When I was a kid we'd go and watch him play drums in Johnny Barrett's band. Now there was a bloke who could sing! Johnny Barrett... I must check if he's on Spotify.

Burney
12-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Oh I don't suppose it's your fault, b.

The drink, the fags, the general squalor, I suppose. He had various ailments and eventually the pneumonia took him, I think.

When I was a kid we'd go and watch him play drums in Johnny Barrett's band. Now there was a bloke who could sing! Johnny Barrett... I must check if he's on Spotify.

Is the funeral over here or in Ireland?

Sir C
12-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Is the funeral over here or in Ireland?

It's here, happily. I'm not sure I'll ever be tempted to schlepp to Ireland for another funeral. Done that far too many times.

barrybueno
12-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Even Mr. Bond is defeated. I honestly don't know how you do it Goats :snow: