PDA

View Full Version : Are we really considering employing someone called 'Grandad Holy Ghost' as manager?

Burney
11-28-2019, 09:18 AM
When will we learn that we can't trust these latin types?

Sir C
11-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Nonsense, we will have the Holy Trinity with us, hopefully with side of BVM!

Can we take the 'Jesus saves' and 'good on crosses' things as read?

Burney
11-28-2019, 09:27 AM
Nonsense, we will have the Holy Trinity with us, hopefully with side of BVM!

Can we take the 'Jesus saves' and 'good on crosses' things as read?

The BVM would have to manage the women's team.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 09:31 AM
The BVM would have to manage the women's team.

:nono: She's not there to manage, she's their to 'intercede' with her son.

I was always somewhat troubled by that. It broughyt to mind Jesus as this nasty chap sitting there saying, " lols, this lad can die of cancer, what larks!" and his mum saying, "Jesus be a good boy and let him live, go on, just for your old mum" which didn't really fit with the mild-mannered loving figure protrayed in the gospels.

Theology is hard, man!

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2019, 09:33 AM

I was always somewhat troubled by that. It broughyt to mind Jesus as this nasty chap sitting there saying, " lols, this lad can die of cancer, what larks!" and his mum saying, "Jesus be a good boy and let him live, go on, just for your old mum" which didn't really fit with the mild-mannered loving figure protrayed in the gospels.

Theology is hard, man!
That's just your anti-Semitism coming out, though. Basically, you think Jesus and Monty are the same person

Sir C
11-28-2019, 09:37 AM
That's just your anti-Semitism coming out, though. Basically, you think Jesus and Monty are the same person

I subconsciously believe that the Jesus-killer is Jesus?

Man, I'm fúcked up!

Just Trent
11-28-2019, 09:38 AM

Think the board are just waiting for Alex Scott to finish her dancing show. Then she’ll take charge in Jan. Leave Emery to handle the Christmas stuffings against City and Chelsea.

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2019, 09:38 AM
I subconsciously believe that the Jesus-killer is Jesus?

Man, I'm fúcked up!

It's all right - Grandpa Jeremy will help you with this crisis

Sir C
11-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Think the board are just waiting for Alex Scott to finish her dancing show. Then she’ll take charge in Jan. Leave Emery to handle the Christmas stuffings against City and Chelsea.

Talking of christmas stuffings, my wife is English and demands two types of stuffing at christmas: 1) pork, onion and sage, which she refers to as 'forcemeat', and 2) some concoction of breadcrumbs and cranberries or some other nonsense, which she calls the 'stuffing'.

She also insists on having bread boiled in milk.

The English are an odd bunch.

Burney
11-28-2019, 09:47 AM

Theology is hard, man!

It also puts a bit of a hole in the idea of divine infallibility if Jesus has to be talked out of things by his mammy. I mean how dare she - a mere Jewish housewife, after all - presume to question the will of God?

It's almost as if the whole Marian cult is fundamentally heretical. :rubchin:

Burney
11-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Talking of christmas stuffings, my wife is English and demands two types of stuffing at christmas: 1) pork, onion and sage, which she refers to as 'forcemeat', and 2) some concoction of breadcrumbs and cranberries or some other nonsense, which she calls the 'stuffing'.

She also insists on having bread boiled in milk.

The English are an odd bunch.

You have to have bread sauce. Your palate is simply too enervated to appreciate its wonder.

Stuffing I can take or leave. I've never found it to add much to the gaiety of nations. It's just filler in a meal that really doesn't need extra calories.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 09:52 AM
You have to have bread sauce. Your palate is simply too enervated to appreciate its wonder.

Stuffing I can take or leave. I've never found it to add much to the gaiety of nations. It's just filler in a meal that really doesn't need extra calories.

My palate grew out of enjoying pap many years ago, b.

Stuffing (I mean forcemeat :rolleyes: ) is useful on those occasions one if forced to suffer turkey. It adds lubrication and flavour to the dry blandness.

Pokster
11-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Stuffing (I mean forcemeat :rolleyes: ) is useful on those occasions one if forced to suffer turkey. It adds lubrication and flavour to the dry blandness.

You are opbviously not cooking it correctly, the Tom Kerridge Turkey cooked in clingfilm is truly lovely

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Unpopular opinion: Christmas dinner is shíte.

Is there anyone whose heart doesn't sink slightly as their Christmas plate becomes overfilled and you essentially end up with a plateful of random, overlapping pig and bird flesh, heavy carbs and sprouts slathered in an indiscernible gloop of gravy/bread/cranberry sauce?

No matter how well done the individual elements, they are too many and too incongruent for it to work as a whole. It just becomes a heap of food. I've usually lost my appetite before I've taken a bite of the unholy mess.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:02 AM
You are opbviously not cooking it correctly, the Tom Kerridge Turkey cooked in clingfilm is truly lovely

Unless it tastes of something other than turkey, it's rank.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:04 AM

Is there anyone whose heart doesn't sink slightly as their Christmas plate becomes overfilled and you essentially end up with a plateful of random, overlapping pig and bird flesh, heavy carbs and sprouts slathered in an indiscernible gloop of gravy/bread/cranberry sauce?

No matter how well done the individual elements, they are too many and too incongruent for it to work as a whole. It just becomes a heap of food. I've usually lost my appetite before I've taken a bite of the unholy mess.

The secret is to ignore the extraneous items and add only the good stuff.

A nice piece of goose leg. Some crispy roast potatoes. A few Brussels sprouts, pleasing if only for the novelty value. The rich giblet gravy. Perhaps a little forcemeat. Parnsips, red cabbage and so on can simply be ignored.

It's a Sunday roast :shrug: What's not to like?

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Apart from pigs in a blanket, you mean. Pigs in a blanket are ****ing ace

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:09 AM
The secret is to ignore the extraneous items and add only the good stuff.

A nice piece of goose leg. Some crispy roast potatoes. A few Brussels sprouts, pleasing if only for the novelty value. The rich giblet gravy. Perhaps a little forcemeat. Parnsips, red cabbage and so on can simply be ignored.

It's a Sunday roast :shrug: What's not to like?

Yes, but mission creep always occurs. You think, 'Oh, I do like a bit of ham and a couple of pigs in blankets can't hurt' and before you know it, you've got an orgy of random meat.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:10 AM
Apart from pigs in a blanket, you mean. Pigs in a blanket are ****ing ace

Yes, but aren't they better as a nibble than part of the meal?

Ash
11-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Here we go, the annual traditional whinge about Christmas dinner.

It's as seasonal* as mince pies.

* The whinge**.
** And the dinner.

WES
11-28-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm doing goose this year as the cretinous in-laws only arrive for leftovers and ham on Boxing Day.

I'v chosen a Ray White recipe as the starting point. Legs in for 2 1/2 hours, breast for 1 hour. Sounds wonderful.

And bread stuffing cooked separately as only a mad man stuffs the bird itself. With goose stock made from the neck and innards, date, apple and cranberry. And home made foie gras chunks scattered around. All roast vegetables in goose fat.

I may never make turkey again. :-(

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:16 AM

Why not just have a delicious pint of pure cancer?

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:17 AM
I'm doing goose this year as the cretinous in-laws only arrive for leftovers and ham on Boxing Day.

I'v chosen a Ray White recipe as the starting point. Legs in for 2 1/2 hours, breast for 1 hour. Sounds wonderful.

And bread stuffing cooked separately as only a mad man stuffs the bird itself. With goose stock made from the neck and innards, date, apple and cranberry. And home made foie gras chunks scattered around. All roast vegetables in goose fat.

That's too long for the legs. They don't need it and they go tough.

I tell you this on the back of having cooked goose every year for 16 years now.

Pokster
11-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Why not just have a delicious pint of pure cancer?

I've had a good innings sc, leave it to the young kunts to take over the world now

Sir C
I've had a good innings sc, leave it to the young kunts to take over the world now

:nod: Young Jeremy, John and Diane.

:-(

Burney
Here we go, the annual traditional whinge about Christmas dinner.

It's as seasonal* as mince pies.

* The whinge**.
** And the dinner.

But come on! You must accept that there is no other point during the year when you would dream of putting poultry, ham, sausages, gravy and pork-based stuffing on the same plate - not because Christmas is a unique feast, etc, but because those things just don't go together and all their individual charms become lost in the meaty melée.

WES
11-28-2019, 10:20 AM
That's too long for the legs. They don't need it and they go tough.

I tell you this on the back of having cooked goose every year for 16 years now.

Hmmm - what temperature did you cook them at? Ray's recipe is 1 hour at 140C covered, then 1/2 hour at a high temperarture then another hour at 140C. You add the breast for the hour in the middle.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:21 AM
But come on! You must accept that there is no other point during the year when you would dream of putting poultry, ham, sausages, gravy and pork-based stuffing on the same plate - not because Christmas is a unique feast, etc, but because those things just don't go together and all their individual charms become lost in the meaty melée.

Ham? Who puts ham on a christmas dinner, you absolute deviant?

Ham! Fúcking ham!

Burney

I do the Raymond Blanc thing where you joint the goose (removing the wishbone, of course), roast just the crown and confit the legs and wings. It's very good.

Trouble is, this year I'll have to do a Turkey as well, as my stepsons profess to actually like the damn thing.

Burney
Ham? Who puts ham on a christmas dinner, you absolute deviant?

Ham! Fúcking ham!

You have to have a big ham. It's not Christmas dinner without a fúcking massive ham.

WES
11-28-2019, 10:22 AM

Who in their right mind puts ham and poultry roasted on the same plate? And meat based stuffing is awful.

No, turkey or goose, bread based stuffing, roast veg and gravy with one chipolata is sensible, tasty and celebratory.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Hmmm - what temperature did you cook them at? Ray's recipe is 1 hour at 140C covered, then 1/2 hour at a high temperarture then another hour at 140C. You add the breast for the hour in the middle.

140 generally with a final blast to crisp the skin.

It's just a big duck :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Yes, but aren't they better as a nibble than part of the meal?

Very true, b. Although I would happily just have a whole meal of them

Sir C
You have to have a big ham. It's not Christmas dinner without a fúcking massive ham.

You have no respect for the cultural sensitivities of the jewish community, I see.

Are you having your friends from Hamas round.

Hold on, that doesn't really work...

WES
I do the Raymond Blanc thing where you joint the goose (removing the wingbone, of course) and confit the legs and wings. It's very good.

Trouble is, this year I'll have to do a Turkey as well, as my stepsons profess to actually like the damn thing.

I'm slow roasting the legs and using the wings for stock/jus. But yes, completely joint the bird, which you should do with turkey as well BTW.

Braised turke legs are quite wonderful and always the star of my Christmas dinner. This year it will be slow roasted legs which are then de-boned, roughly chopped and mixed through with chunks of my foie gras. :eat:

Burney
Who in their right mind puts ham and poultry roasted on the same plate? And meat based stuffing is awful.

No, turkey or goose, bread based stuffing, roast veg and gravy with one chipolata is sensible, tasty and celebratory.

All normal English people.

You two foreigners wouldn't understand.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:25 AM

A minute ago you were claiming to be a tick Paddy, for Christ's sake!

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:27 AM
Very true, b. Although I would happily just have a whole meal of them

The lure of the small sausage is remarkable. Every year I make fancy nibbles. I make gravadlax, mini Lobster thermidors - that sort of thing. But I also make a big rake of chipolatas in honey and wholegrain mustard.

Guess which of these disappears most quickly. :-(

WES
11-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Whence I first arrived in England and was living in Barnes the local butcher (Bob, top chap) told me that English people eat turkey or goose on Christmas Day and leftovers and ham on Boxing Day.

I have eaten thus ever since. And sorry but I'm taking butcher Bob's view over yours. :nod:

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:28 AM
You have no respect for the cultural sensitivities of the jewish community, I see.

Are you having your friends from Hamas round.

Hold on, that doesn't really work...

:nono: Just because they're called Hamas doesn't mean they like ham. That would be quite the faux pas.

Ash
11-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Because to do it at any other point of the year would detract from the occasion. The reason why we do certain things only at Christmas time is because that what makes it special.

Personally I can't wait for that massive, tummy-busting plateful of poultry and pork meats, stuffing, gravy, sprouts and ton of vegetables.

Just don't expect me to eat any puddings, cakes or sweets for the rest of the day.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Because to do it at any other point of the year would detract from the occasion. The reason why we do certain things only at Christmas time is because that what makes it special.

Personally I can't wait for that massive, tummy-busting plateful of poultry and pork meats, stuffing, gravy, sprouts and ton of vegetables.

Just don't expect me to eat any puddings, cakes or sweets for the rest of the day.

Which vegetables though a? This is important. I do Brussels sprouts and red cabbage and parsnips and carrots, because that's what my mummuy used to do. But there's always too much.

WES
11-28-2019, 10:31 AM

:nod: Do you know how many Christmas puddings we had sitting in the larder from previous years that we couldn't eat? At one point it was about 4 of them and then we stopped buying them.

Nibbling on some cheese with post meal drinks is the closest we ever get to dessert on Christmas day.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:31 AM
:nono: Just because they're called Hamas doesn't mean they like ham. That would be quite the faux pas.

Haha they're called ham-ass! I never thought of that before! I might wander round Gaza calling them all ham-ass! For the lols.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:32 AM
Whence I first arrived in England and was living in Barnes the local butcher (Bob, top chap) told me that English people eat turkey or goose on Christmas Day and leftovers and ham on Boxing Day.

I have eaten thus ever since. And sorry but I'm taking butcher Bob's view over yours. :nod:

I hate to break it to you, but your Butcher Bob was a communist and almost certainly a homosexual.

Besides, these 'leftovers' would presumably include turkey, yes? So this queer commie was in fact advocating the consumption of poultry and meat on the same plate.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Look, as long as we're both on the same page about ham with Christmas dinner and can face down this pair of snobby spastics, I'm happy to concede your point.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:35 AM
:nod: Do you know how many Christmas puddings we had sitting in the larder from previous years that we couldn't eat? At one point it was about 4 of them and then we stopped buying them.

Nibbling on some cheese with post meal drinks is the closest we ever get to dessert on Christmas day.

Oh, no. You have to have trifle. Again, you wouldn't think of eating it at any time of years because it's basically gloop. But, made with Madeira (never sherry), it's delicious gloop.

I don't believe anyone who tells me they like Christmas pudding. It's actively horrible.

WES
11-28-2019, 10:36 AM
I hate to break it to you, but your Butcher Bob was a communist and almost certainly a homosexual.

Besides, these 'leftovers' would presumably include turkey, yes? So this queer commie was in fact advocating the consumption of poultry and meat on the same plate.

It would be cold turkey, though. As part of a buffet with roast ham and other bits and pieces. That's different and perfectly acceptable.

Roasting a ham and a turkey and serving them together with meat based stuffing is what the Victorians did. Some of us have moved on. Sniff.

Ash
11-28-2019, 10:36 AM

Ironic etymological interlude:

Apart from meaning 'hamlet' or 'village' the saxon word 'ham' as a place-name refers to the land between two rivers. The most well-known of these in our parts being the West Ham and East Ham between the Lee and Roding rivers.

Now some say that the two blue lines on the Israeli flag represent the Nile and the Euphrates, with the space between them being the land that Israel aspires to. I'm not saying that, btw.

WES
11-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Oh, no. You have to have trifle. Again, you wouldn't think of eating it at any time of years because it's basically gloop. But, made with Madeira (never sherry), it's delicious gloop.

I don't believe anyone who tells me they like Christmas pudding. It's actively horrible.

Yes agreed, although that Heston won with an orange in the middle was actually pretty good. And I love brandy sauce. But of my 24 years in this country I think we managed Christmas pudding twice that I can remember, too stuffed the rest of the time.

Trifle I love, Mrs WES makes a wonderful one. But we got tired of throwing 80% of it so we stopped. Chocolates, cheese, nibbles with a few Negronis is my post dinner approach.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:39 AM

Apart from meaning 'hamlet' or 'village' the saxon word 'ham' as a place-name refers to the land between two rivers. The most well-known of these in our parts being the West Ham and East Ham between the Lee and Roding rivers.

Now some say that the two blue lines on the Israeli flag represent the Nile and the Euphrates, with the space between them being the land that Israel aspires to. I'm not saying that, btw.

You're saying that it should be called 'Israelham'?

To be fair, I find it ironic that both the pork-rejecting religions trace their foundations to Abra-HAM

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Christmas pudding is nice but requires the lubrication of double cream. A lot of double cream. In fact, the christmas pudding should be mushed into the double cream until the bowl appears to contain christmas pudding soup.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:41 AM

One suspects that if the IDF put their minds to it they could probably take it, too.

wd the IDF. Doublenailshard when required.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Yes agreed, although that Heston won with an orange in the middle was actually pretty good. And I love brandy sauce. But of my 24 years in this country I think we managed Christmas pudding twice that I can remember, too stuffed the rest of the time.

Trifle I love, Mrs WES makes a wonderful one. But we got tired of throwing 80% of it so we stopped. Chocolates, cheese, nibbles with a few Negronis is my post dinner approach.

I generally to the notion of dried fruit as any sort of a treat, so I dislike most traditional Christmas sweet things (mince pies, Christmas cake and pudding can all fúck off). It's just a legacy of a time when we didn't have nice things like sugar and chocolate and so had to make do with dried fruit. Fúck dried fruit. Fúck it in its wrinkly, not-sweet-enough arse.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:43 AM
One suspects that if the IDF put their minds to it they could probably take it, too.

Have you ever watched 'Fauda' on Netflix. That's Israeli and terribly good.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Have you ever watched 'Fauda' on Netflix. That's Israeli and terribly good.

No, the only thing I've watched on Netflix is Stranger Things.

Between my TV licence, Sky, Amazon Prime, Netflix and BT Sport I must be spending £200 a month on TV I never watch. How did this come about?

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2019, 10:48 AM
The lure of the small sausage is remarkable. Every year I make fancy nibbles. I make gravadlax, mini Lobster thermidors - that sort of thing. But I also make a big rake of chipolatas in honey and wholegrain mustard.

Guess which of these disappears most quickly. :-(
They are a remarkable thing. Like mini hamburgers - there was a time when any press event I went to there were always mini-burgers and people always pigged out on t

For cultural senstitivity in these difficult time - these also sound great

In Israel, Moshe Ba'Teiva (Moses in the basket) is a dish consisting of a kosher hot dog rolled in a ketchup-covered sheet of puff pastry or phyllo dough and baked.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:49 AM
No, the only thing I've watched on Netflix is Stranger Things.

Between my TV licence, Sky, Amazon Prime, Netflix and BT Sport I must be spending £200 a month on TV I never watch. How did this come about?

I know. This is why I want to cancel my TV Licence, but the missus won't let me as she's frit.

Fauda's about this fat, bald sweaty chap who's part of an elite team that fights Palestinian terrorists. It's dead good.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 10:50 AM
I know. This is why I want to cancel my TV Licence, but the missus won't let me as she's frit.

Fauda's about this fat, bald sweaty chap who's part of an elite team that fights Palestinian terrorists. It's dead good.

Is it in jewlanguage? I can't speak fluent jew.

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:52 AM
They are a remarkable thing. Like mini hamburgers - there was a time when any press event I went to there were always mini-burgers and people always pigged out on t

For cultural senstitivity in these difficult time - these also sound great

In Israel, Moshe Ba'Teiva (Moses in the basket) is a dish consisting of a kosher hot dog rolled in a ketchup-covered sheet of puff pastry or phyllo dough and baked.

Mini-Yorkshire puds with roast beef and horseradish are another favourite.

Did I ever tell you about the presser I went to when some mad pervert had made tempura cucumber and not warned anyone? That was one of the worst things I've ever accidentally eaten - right up there with the foie gras mini creme brulee I once ate in France thinking it was a normal creme brulee. :-(

Burney
11-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Is it in jewlanguage? I can't speak fluent jew.

It's in Jewtalk and Arabtalk (indistinguishable as far as I'm concerned) with the odd bit of English, too.

Luis Anaconda
11-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Mini-Yorkshire puds with roast beef and horseradish are another favourite.

Did I ever tell you about the presser I went to when some mad pervert had made tempura cucumber and not warned anyone? That was one of the worst things I've ever accidentally eaten - right up there with the foie gras mini creme brulee I once ate in France thinking it was a normal creme brulee. :-(
Good lord - almost as bad as getting everyone to go to place for a launch on the premise of free beer and serving them Budweiser

Ash
11-28-2019, 11:19 AM

Didn't go too well for them last time they went into Lebanon, ISTR.

Mind you, tbf, they're damned good against opponents armed with pointed sticks and pieces of fruit.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Didn't go too well for them last time they went into Lebanon, ISTR.

Mind you, tbf, they're damned good against opponents armed with pointed sticks and pieces of fruit.

Like the Egyptian and Syrian air forces?

Burney
11-28-2019, 11:25 AM
Like the Egyptian and Syrian air forces?

To be fair, they rather foolishly hadn't take off :hehe:

To be fair, you can accuse Israel of many things, but only winning wars against smaller, weaker opponents really isn't among them.

Sir C
11-28-2019, 11:30 AM
To be fair, they rather foolishly hadn't take off :hehe:

To be fair, you can accuse Israel of many things, but only winning wars against smaller, weaker opponents really isn't among them.

No. Surrounded by about 600 million Arabs thirsting for their blood, they seem to generally take the sensible option of defending themselves pretty robustly.

As I say. wd IDF.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
11-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Are you making your own foie gras? Good man. My mate outside Toulouse does that. Gave me a kg one Xmas.

How do you do it? Is it easy?