PDA

View Full Version : Imagine calling a football team 'Montreal Impact'

Burney
11-14-2019, 02:25 PM
:hehe:

I wonder how Tel's getting on with the weird Quebecois accent?

WES
11-14-2019, 02:56 PM

Quebecois innit.

They're like the French but without a decent culture and the only thing admirable about the French is their culture. :shrug:

Burney
11-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Quebecois innit.

They're like the French but without a decent culture and the only thing admirable about the French is their culture. :shrug:

I've always thought the English (and latterly the non-French Canadians) were too soft on them. Indulging their French-speaking nonsense and letting the cheeky sods bang on about independence - ridicules. Look where it's got them - two Trudeaus as Prime Ministers and everything has to be in two different languages, ffs!

They should have persecuted them savagely and forced them to assimilate. I'd have flogged them within an inch of their lives.

WES
11-14-2019, 03:10 PM
I've always thought the English (and latterly the non-French Canadians) were too soft on them. Indulging their French-speaking nonsense and letting the cheeky sods bang on about independence - ridicules. Look where it's got them - two Trudeaus as Prime Ministers and everything has to be in two different languages, ffs!

They should have persecuted them savagely and forced them to assimilate. I'd have flogged them within an inch of their lives.

Yes, I would have assumed that was your position. :hehe:

Someone once told me when I was a young man in Canada 'always remember, the Quebecois are Latins, they want to be led' - so the thing is the buggers are 25% of the population and they tend to vote en bloc. So all politicians tend to try and placate them or they think they have no chance of being elected.

Hence why virtually ever Canadian PM is bilingual.

Ash
11-14-2019, 03:15 PM
Quebecois innit.

Culture is quite a major thing tbf. Liberty, Equality, Fraternity is quite stirring too IMO.

Then there's the baguettes. Some good footballers down the years. And one sublime manager, even if he was a leetle beet German. The women can be fun, if a little mad at times.

Not so keen on the chansons though, and the snail-scoffing can phuck right off imo.

Burney
11-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Yes, I would have assumed that was your position. :hehe:

Someone once told me when I was a young man in Canada 'always remember, the Quebecois are Latins, they want to be led' - so the thing is the buggers are 25% of the population and they tend to vote en bloc. So all politicians tend to try and placate them or they think they have no chance of being elected.

Hence why virtually ever Canadian PM is bilingual.

Madness. Did Wolfe die on the Plains of Abraham just so a bunch of frogs could put themselves about pretending to be important? No, he did not.

Pat Vegas
11-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Quebecois innit.

they have great swearwords to be fair.
TABARNAK!

Burney
11-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Culture is quite a major thing tbf. Liberty, Equality, Fraternity is quite stirring too IMO.

Then there's the baguettes. Some good footballers down the years. And one sublime manager, even if he was a leetle beet German. The women can be fun, if a little mad at times.

Not so keen on the chansons though, and the snail-scoffing can phuck right off imo.

Yes, they're good at the rhetoric, but the actual outcome of their Liberty, Equality and Fraternity was a decade of domestic terror culminating in a military dictatorship that plunged Europe into nearly 20 years of total war. That was followed, of course, by half a century of more kings, more revolutions, another Emperor and eventually getting their arses handed to them by the Germans.

WES
11-14-2019, 03:27 PM
TABARNAK!

You have to be careful with that one, Fash. Some of them take that one awfully seriously.

Still, I can forgive them as they are responsible for poutine, the greatest comfort food in the world :eat:

barrybueno
11-14-2019, 03:28 PM
TABARNAK!

ooh I like that won :music: TABARNAK :music: Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich :cloud9:

Pat Vegas
11-14-2019, 03:34 PM
You have to be careful with that one, Fash. Some of them take that one awfully seriously.

Still, I can forgive them as they are responsible for poutine, the greatest comfort food in the world :eat:

:nod:

did you see Don Cherry got sacked?

WES
11-14-2019, 04:20 PM
:nod:

did you see Don Cherry got sacked?

No!!! Grapes sacked? I must do google...

Tony C
11-14-2019, 06:21 PM
You guys looking forward to the Wolfpack next year in Super League?

I think Sonny Bill will fit right at home in Toronto.

bbrian
11-14-2019, 08:08 PM

They also called their baseball team the 'Expos' back in the day ...they now play in DC and are world champs .
What bugs me more is the way they regurgitate names from other parts of the world . ... Chivas , Real , Sporting , and Dynamo with Becks Inter Miami coming soon .

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
11-14-2019, 08:54 PM

'Monreal Impact'

?

Probably not as big as losing Kos, but I still think he's much better than Kola or the Jock.

And he might have been able to translate Dick's training prattle into English for the rest of the squad.

Also, no-one would have had a problem if he'd been vice-capt, and no-one would have booed him off.

All in all, Monreal impact quite big, I feel, in a negative manner.

Luis Anaconda
11-15-2019, 09:59 AM
You guys looking forward to the Wolfpack next year in Super League?

I think Sonny Bill will fit right at home in Toronto.

Are they playing at the Emirates, t - or was that just for the press conference? Clearly got a bit of cash to throw around. Also good to see Brian McDermott get a decent job - did well at Reading