PDA

View Full Version : Oi, Sir C. Book recommendation.

Burney
11-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Have you read the Mick Herron Jackson Lamb/Slough House series? Halfway through the first - Slow Horses - and I'm quite keen. They're about a bunch of MI5 spooks who've all fúcked up and been exiled to a dingy office where they aren't allowed to run cases.

7sisters
11-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Have you read the Mick Herron Jackson Lamb/Slough House series? Halfway through the first - Slow Horses - and I'm quite keen. They're about a bunch of MI5 spooks who've all fúcked up and been exiled to a dingy office where they aren't allowed to run cases.

Sounds riveting, B :yawn:

Sir C
11-04-2019, 10:39 AM

I listened to the first one and... quite enjoyed it, but haven't yet tried any more. ty for the recommendation.

Burney
11-04-2019, 11:20 AM
I listened to the first one and... quite enjoyed it, but haven't yet tried any more. ty for the recommendation.

I'm told the second, Dead Lions, is the best.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-04-2019, 12:31 PM
I'm told the second, Dead Lions, is the best.

. . . . . . . .

Burney
11-04-2019, 12:35 PM
. . . . . . . .

No, you’d like them, too, h. Indeed the hero is a grotesque, fat, uncouth man who belches and farts all the time. Just your sort of thing.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-04-2019, 12:43 PM
No, you’d like them, too, h. Indeed the hero is a grotesque, fat, uncouth man who belches and farts all the time. Just your sort of thing.

Just tried my first ever Thomas Hardy, The Woodlanders, Lord spare me I had to quit after chapter 6 - just couldn't care about any of the characters and the tendency to spend three paragraphs describing a farkin gatepost or summat!

Burney
11-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Just tried my first ever Thomas Hardy, The Woodlanders, Lord spare me I had to quit after chapter 6 - just couldn't care about any of the characters and the tendency to spend three paragraphs describing a farkin gatepost or summat!

I'd not give you tuppence for Hardy, tbh. Depressive, tedious stuff.

Sir C
11-04-2019, 12:54 PM

I love Hardy. Try The Mayor of Casterbridge. A proper racy read.

Burney
11-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Oh, yes. That's alright. His best by miles, certainly. Still a bit grim, though.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-04-2019, 01:01 PM
I'd not give you tuppence for Hardy, tbh. Depressive, tedious stuff.

I was developing a theory that literature written before the advent of film lacked the craft of evocative prose and the arrival of cinema for everyone forced writers to up their game and increase the pace beyond the soporific ramblings in this particular example[Woodlanders]. Then I realised it was tosh because Dickens puts you right there in the action as convincingly as watching a movie. Hardy was just a droney old cund.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-04-2019, 01:02 PM

I will c . I possibly alighted on a poor choice for an introduction to his work.

Sir C
11-04-2019, 01:22 PM
I will c . I possibly alighted on a poor choice for an introduction to his work.

Far From The Madding Crowd's ok as well. That Bathsheba bint would get i9n, nae bother.

Ash
11-04-2019, 01:47 PM

I suspect he's a tedious load of auld shyte, Herbs. I had to read The Trumpet Major as a yoot. Total load of boring ballix. I suggest trying Theo Walcott's oeuvre instead.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-04-2019, 02:12 PM
I suspect he's a tedious load of auld shyte, Herbs. I had to read The Trumpet Major as a yoot. Total load of boring ballix. I suggest trying Theo Walcott's oeuvre instead.

Oh Christ that little twát hasn't written a biography has he. "Fast and Useless"

Ash
11-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Oh Christ that little twát hasn't written a biography has he. "Fast and Useless"

A series of children's books called things like "TJ and the payrise".

TheCurly
11-05-2019, 12:29 PM
I am currently three quarters the way through A Gentleman in Moscow.Literally **** all has happened so far but I must say it is beautifully written. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Sir C
11-05-2019, 12:33 PM
I am currently three quarters the way through A Gentleman in Moscow.Literally **** all has happened so far but I must say it is beautifully written. I can thoroughly recommend it.

It’s a lovely, lovely book.

TheCurly
11-05-2019, 12:39 PM
It’s a lovely, lovely book.

I was going to bin it after a chapter or two due to the slow pace but then quickly realised that is the genius of it.The demise of manners Sir C :-(