PDA

View Full Version : Was there a reason for booing our own captain off or was it simply that he'd been a

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-28-2019, 01:10 PM
bit shít? And if so, since when was an Arsenal player being a bit shít a reason to boo him.

Sir C
10-28-2019, 01:13 PM
bit shít? And if so, since when was an Arsenal player being a bit shít a reason to boo him.

:shrug: The strange individuals who make up a large proportion of our fan base have decided he's shít, and that he therefore deserves abuse.

Much like they did with out greatest ever manager.

I really do wonder whether it is a question of us attracting thousands of immature, entitled little bitches, or whether it's just a reflection of society as a whole.

PSRB
10-28-2019, 01:23 PM
:shrug: The strange individuals who make up a large proportion of our fan base have decided he's shít, and that he therefore deserves abuse.

I really do wonder whether it is a question of us attracting thousands of immature, entitled little bitches, or whether it's just a reflection of society as a whole.

All started with the disgusting abuse Eboue got and then AFTV have just made everything more toxic

Pat Vegas
10-28-2019, 01:24 PM
All started with the disgusting abuse Eboue got and then AFTV have just made everything more toxic

Yep. Though Eboue then turned into a fan favourite. :hide:

Now I suspect the club to stand by Xhaka and it will happen again and again and it will just be horrible atmosphere and will kick off between fans once again.

IUFG
10-28-2019, 01:27 PM

I'm sure it has some grounding of our reversion to mediocrity, sc

You see, these young blokes supporting us have not known what it is like to stand there in the pouring rain watching us grind out a nil-nil versus Nottingham Forest (or similar) and thinking we'd got a decent result.

When you've grown up with a team playing Champagne, well, Cava football and then after a few years it has morphed into half-a-mild football, I can understand the frustration, but not the actions.

No real reference point, you see.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-28-2019, 01:28 PM

. . . . . . .

Ash
10-28-2019, 01:33 PM
Yep. Though Eboue then turned into a fan favourite. :hide:

Now I suspect the club to stand by Xhaka and it will happen again and again and it will just be horrible atmosphere and will kick off between fans once again.

Sad seens. I always say the only person who should be booed is the ref. And all the opposition, obv, especially the time-wasters. And their manager. And their fans.

Actually there were already Words exchanged around me about the negativity.

It's happening again. :-(

Sir C
10-28-2019, 01:35 PM
I'm sure it has some grounding of our reversion to mediocrity, sc

You see, these young blokes supporting us have not known what it is like to stand there in the pouring rain watching us grind out a nil-nil versus Nottingham Forest (or similar) and thinking we'd got a decent result.

When you've grown up with a team playing Champagne, well, Cava football and then after a few years it has morphed into half-a-mild football, I can understand the frustration, but not the actions.

No real reference point, you see.

That used to be my theory as well, i, but some of the worst offenders (see AFTV) are lads in their 50s and 60s, who must well remember what it was like to watch Ian Allinson struggle to control a gently rolling football.

Look at the abuise meted out to M Wenger by, for example, our very own Herbert Chapman. And others, if you get my meaning.

No, some sea change has occurred. We live in an age of selfishness, of instant gratification, of juvenile tantrums. God help us.

Sir C
10-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Sad seens. I always say the only person who should be booed is the ref. And all the opposition, obv, especially the time-wasters. And their manager. And their fans.

Actually there were already Words exchanged around me about the negativity.

It's happening again. :-(

Would you say the atmosphere is becoming, well, late-era Wengerish? :-(

taxman10
10-28-2019, 01:36 PM
He was booed for ambling off the pitch when we were pressing for the winner as well as being bang average

IUFG
10-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Would you say the atmosphere is becoming, well, late-era Wengerish? :-(

exactly the same, but with less division between the fans

Viva Prat Vegas
10-28-2019, 01:40 PM
HRH Herbert Augustus Chapman "I don't recall GG ever being booed c?"

I do

When he came back with Spurs

Sir C
10-28-2019, 01:41 PM

There isn't an "I told you so" section?

I'm almost tempted to attend a game just to sit with a smug look on my face carrying a banner saying, 'Be careful what you wish for'.

Actually 'Be careful for what you wish' would avoid leaving that poor preposition dnagling out there like a drunken Cumbrian off a chimney.

Pat Vegas
10-28-2019, 01:42 PM

It's not very inspirational stuff on the pitch :-(
Notice now Auba hasn't scored for a few games the results start dropping.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
10-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Our fans are full of total bellends
Our captain is a bit of a bellend
Our manager is a bellend
Our board contains significant numbers of bellends
Our owner is a complete and utter bellend

Hope this helps?

IUFG
10-28-2019, 01:44 PM

I'm almost tempted to attend a game just to sit with a smug look on my face carrying a banner saying, 'Be careful what you wish for'.

Actually 'Be careful for what you wish' would avoid leaving that poor preposition dnagling out there like a drunken Cumbrian off a chimney.

:hehe:

There is the occasional reference to Wenger, but not many.

The crowd singing the Ozil song near the end of the match tells you all you need to know about their thoughts for the manager.

The picture of the corner flag on the official website is not far away imo

Pat Vegas
10-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Our fans are full of total bellends
Our captain is a bit of a bellend
Our manager is a bellend
Our board contains significant numbers of bellends
Our owner is a complete and utter bellend

Hope this helps?

It's very hard to follow the 'Being an Arsenal fan' rules.

Burney
10-28-2019, 02:19 PM

He's stopped responding, apparently. It's a fair bet he's brown bread.

However, I for one refuse to allow this to dampen my amusement at his predicament.

Sir C
10-28-2019, 02:22 PM
He's stopped responding, apparently. It's a fair bet he's brown bread.

However, I for one refuse to allow this do dampen my amusement at his predicament.

I expect his organs all became distressed at being inverted for so long. Nasty.

Burney
10-28-2019, 02:26 PM
It's very hard to follow the 'Being an Arsenal fan' rules.

It used to be simple. You supported the team even when you knew it was a bit shít; employed gallows humour about that shítness and the shortcomings of the board/stadium/manager; enjoyed the odd moments of non-shítness; and amused yourself by signing songs and bellowing abuse at the opposition and ref.

Basically what screwed the whole thing up was us becoming half-decent.

Burney
10-28-2019, 02:27 PM
I expect his organs all became distressed at being inverted for so long. Nasty.

That or the silly **** died of hypothermia.

Viva Prat Vegas
10-28-2019, 02:35 PM
Or embarrassment

Burney
10-28-2019, 02:37 PM
Or embarrassment

:nod: Literally the hangover from hell.

IUFG
10-28-2019, 02:38 PM

That and all-seater stadiums...

Chief Arrowhead
10-28-2019, 03:16 PM
It used to be simple. You supported the team even when you knew it was a bit shít; employed gallows humour about that shítness and the shortcomings of the board/stadium/manager; enjoyed the odd moments of non-shítness; and amused yourself by signing songs and bellowing abuse at the opposition and ref.

You're onto something, Burney. I recall following a couple of old blokes that was posting around 1999 until around 2002. They moaned and whinged quite a bit and it was fairly brilliant. in 01-02 the posts became infrequent, then they announced they were shutting down as we weren't **** anymore so it was no fun to post and they didn't want to make stuff up. It was quite witty while it lasted, however, not the simplistic vitriole of today's internet warriors and millennials. Thinking back I believe the nil-nil Copenhagen Cup final was their zenith. Or maybe it was Franny Jeffers. Hard to pick.

What was the name of that site? It was a quite simple layout. Red something? Red n white? Not sure...