PDA

View Full Version : So I find myself puzzled over the reporting of the events in the House of Commons

WES
10-21-2019, 08:33 AM
at the weekend.

I keep reading what a disaster it was for Boris and Brexit and how unlikely it is that the deal will be passed before Oct 31 etc etc.

Hmmm.

So 306 MPs voted against the Letwin amendment. Is it not safe to assume that if you didn't support the amendment, you are almost certainly going to vote for the deal as it now stands? And as almost all of the 21 former Tories have indicated that they will vote for the deal and almost all of them also voted for the Letwin amendment, isn't that almost 21 more votes for the deal? And isn't the same also true for the 10+ Labour MPs that have said they will vote for the deal?

And doesn't all that mean that Boris now has 320+ votes? :rubchin:

Pokster
10-21-2019, 08:50 AM
at the weekend.

I keep reading what a disaster it was for Boris and Brexit and how unlikely it is that the deal will be passed before Oct 31 etc etc.

Hmmm.

So 306 MPs voted against the Letwin amendment. Is it not safe to assume that if you didn't support the amendment, you are almost certainly going to vote for the deal as it now stands? And as almost all of the 21 former Tories have indicated that they will vote for the deal and almost all of them also voted for the Letwin amendment, isn't that almost 21 more votes for the deal? And isn't the same also true for the 10+ Labour MPs that have said they will vote for the deal?

Here is what an "expert" has suggested this morning
1) Government manages to prove it has a majority for its deal today or tomorrow (40%) – Result: We can see the endgame coming in to sight.
2) Parliament manages to indicate instead approval for a softer Brexit (CU or 2nd ref) (40%) – Result: Near-term general election risks increase.
3) Parliament manages to indicate a majority for nothing at all (20%) – Result: Near-term general election risks increase.

Pat Vegas
10-21-2019, 08:59 AM
at the weekend.

Hmmm.

Is there a website that can give me a summary of each day as I've no longer have a clue what is going on. :-(

WES
10-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Is there a website that can give me a summary of each day as I've no longer have a clue what is going on. :-(

All you need to know Pat is that whatever happens Boris is going to win the next GE with a majority. * :thumbup:

*maybe

Pat Vegas
10-21-2019, 09:02 AM
All you need to know Pat is that whatever happens Boris is going to win the next GE with a majority. * :thumbup:

*maybe

If people can be arsed to vote. I can't anymore

Pokster
10-21-2019, 09:16 AM

*maybe

320-317 in Boris' favour seems to be the consensus

Just Trent
10-21-2019, 09:21 AM
at the weekend.

Hmmm.

Isn’t the speaker plotting to derail the second vote? What an embarrassing carry on.

Tony C
10-21-2019, 09:22 AM
At this stage, nothing can overturn the Letwin amendment other than a specific amendment to overturn the Letwin amendment....

I’m not even sure Emperor Palpatine can sort this win out imo :shrug:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-21-2019, 10:21 AM

he delivers his analyses with such smug assuredness we must assume he has some kind of insight. (helps not to sccrutinize his track record too closely or you'll develop the impression he's talking out of his capacious canadian arse.)

Sir C
10-21-2019, 10:24 AM
320-317 in Boris' favour seems to be the consensus

No one knows. NO ONE KNOWS!

Ash
10-21-2019, 10:36 AM
As I said before: As long as Monty is wrong is all that mattress.

Partly because of the intolerable smugness that would eminate daily from the Montster, but mostly because Johnson's 'treaty', like May's, is the worst possible outcome.

PSRB
10-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Partly because of the intolerable smugness that would eminate daily from the Montster, but mostly because Johnson's 'treaty', like May's, is the worst possible outcome.

He's made his bed, so to speak

WES
10-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Really? You mean you don't want control of our borders, laws, money and to leave both the single market and the customs union?

Geez, I mean I know I don't (not too much) but I thought you Leavers did. :shrug:

Ash
10-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Really? You mean you don't want control of our borders, laws, money and to leave both the single market and the customs union?

Geez, I mean I know I don't (not too much) but I thought you Leavers did. :shrug:

I don't have time to go through this but I will for you one ebening this week.