PDA

View Full Version : The Athletic - how long do we give it?

PSRB
10-07-2019, 08:18 AM
Nabbing all these top journalists, who must be being paid a fortune. I just won't pay for content and they'll all be replaced by hungry, young journos who might have something new and interesting to say

Pity the Orn has gone there, though

Sir C
10-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Nabbing all these top journalists, who must be being paid a fortune. I just won't pay for content and they'll all be replaced by hungry, young journos who might have something new and interesting to say

It must, one imagines, have some powerful backing to be able to attract the big names.

I give it a year.

IUFG
10-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Paying for content - I think it is a mindset that the younger types will get before the likes of you and I, p.

I ain't paying either. Whatever they write will be in the free / public domain before long anyway.

I'm assuming all the journos are freelance rather than employees and they'll probably be contractually restricted in where their scribblings can be published.

I'll give it 18 months...

Ash
10-07-2019, 08:52 AM
Won't pay for content?

Shame on you.

Do you steal your food as well?

Monty92
10-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Won't pay for content?

Shame on you.

Do you pay for podcasts you listen to?

Ash
10-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Do you pay for podcasts you listen to?

Yes.

Both of them.

Monty92
10-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Yes.

Both of them.

Well bloody well done you.

I trust one of them is Making Sense with Sam Harris?

PSRB
10-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Won't pay for content?

Shame on you.

In fairness, I don't pay for content as I get it all free due to the job. The more pertinent point is that there is enough "free" content out there that there is no need to pay for a service such as The Athletic

Ash
10-07-2019, 09:15 AM
In fairness, I don't pay for content as I get it all free due to the job. The more pertinent point is that there is enough "free" content out there that there is no need to pay for a service such as The Athletic

Depends on how one finds the quality of the writing, and the intrusiveness of the ads. I intend to give the Athletic a go via the Arsenal Vision link. £2.50 a month is a modest fee if value is found imo.

IUFG
10-07-2019, 09:18 AM
£2.50 a month is a modest fee if value is found imo.

It is. in isolation.

How many "less than the price of a pint" fees could you end up paying?

Billy Goat Sverige
10-07-2019, 09:24 AM
It is. in isolation.

This is the trouble, especially with the way streaming is going. It was fine with just Netflix. It wasn’t too bad adding in Amazon Prime. Now you’re going to have Apple and Disney+. Warner are also planning on having a streaming service. If they all produce content you watch you’re looking at £50 a month and that’s not even including your TV subscription.

Ash
10-07-2019, 09:24 AM
It is. in isolation.

This is a fair point. The answer, I think, is that if everyone pays for a few subs to the sources they like and consume the most, then hopefully all the decent outlets will make a living.

Not so easy for non-sport content though. I support the alt-media site I read most for politics, but not others because there are too many.

Ash
10-07-2019, 09:25 AM
It is. in isolation.

Also: Pint of Doom Bar £2.58 in the Coronet on Sunday. :-)

IUFG
10-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Also: Pint of Doom Bar £2.58 in the Coronet on Sunday. :-)

Yes. But.

The Coronet.

Ash
10-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Yes. But.

The Coronet.

Only a problem for cup games when it fills with the enemy imo. Apart from that it's near the ground, usually has space to breathe, features moderately-priced beverages, and is on my way from home. Does ham egg & chips too. :-)

Ash
10-07-2019, 09:45 AM
I trust one of them is Making Sense with Sam Harris?

You know that noise some of our less self-aware-and-enlightened-supporters make when the opposition makes a substitution? .....

IUFG
10-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Only a problem for cup games when it fills with the enemy imo. Apart from that it's near the ground, usually has space to breathe, features moderately-priced beverages, and is on my way from home. Does ham egg & chips too. :-)

It is a big place.
It is a 'spoons :-(

The Tollington is just around the corner, a

Sir C
10-07-2019, 09:50 AM
It is a big place.
It is a 'spoons :-(

The Tollington is just around the corner, a

It is a 'spoons? How the fúck do you microwave hamn egg and chips?

Pat Vegas
10-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Depends on how one finds the quality of the writing, and the intrusiveness of the ads. I intend to give the Athletic a go via the Arsenal Vision link. £2.50 a month is a modest fee if value is found imo.

I feel AWIMB Missed a trick. AFTV are esentially a video format of the old AWIMB

Sir C
10-07-2019, 09:59 AM
I feel AWIMB Missed a trick. AFTV are esentially a video format of the old AWIMB

:hehe: RCEG would have been great of AFTV. Also greg mitchell coming to blows with Headgear would have been internet gold.

IUFG
10-07-2019, 10:02 AM
:hehe: RCEG would have been great of AFTV. Also greg mitchell coming to blows with Headgear would have been internet gold.

Berni as Claude.

WES as Ty.

barrybueno
10-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Won't pay for content?

Shame on you.

Fúck that Ash, I pay for the laptop and the broadband, everything else should be 'free' imo

7sisters
10-07-2019, 12:16 PM

I find I only have time to listen to stuff while I’m painting or doing stuff around the house. How do people get the time to do all this stuff ?
It’s kids and dogs, isn’t it ? :-\

Herbert Augustus Chapman
10-07-2019, 12:43 PM
while I’m painting

While you're painting! You do mean painting and decorating don't you 7? You're not some fey homosexualist that paints pictures are you?

7sisters
10-07-2019, 01:07 PM
While you're painting! You do mean painting and decorating don't you 7? You're not some fey homosexualist that paints pictures are you?

Of course, H. Why, I’m stinking of undercoat and white spirit as I type. 👍

Pokster
10-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Of course, H. Why, I’m stinking of undercoat and white spirit as I type. ��

H smells of white spirit most afternoons