PDA

View Full Version : How come Auba speaks Portuguese? re:Arseblog and Martinelli.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-26-2019, 09:10 AM
He's never played for a Portuguese team, has he? I thought it was just Frogs and Krauts.

And Gabon was French, I thought. The 'Geezers just had Angola. I mean, fair play to him, but I don't see where he learned it.

Pat Vegas
09-26-2019, 09:18 AM
He's never played for a Portuguese team, has he? I thought it was just Frogs and Krauts.

And Gabon was French, I thought. The 'Geezers just had Angola. I mean, fair play to him, but I don't see where he learned it.

He's just one of them fellas, He can do whatever he likes

he also speals Italian

Luis Anaconda
09-26-2019, 09:29 AM

His mum was Spanish - hopes this helps

09-26-2019, 09:30 AM
He's just one of them fellas, He can do whatever he likes

he also speals Italian

Oh, I get the Wop. He was with AC Milan for years at the start of his career, despite mostly being loaned out to France.

I just don't see how he learnt Portuguese. Was his best mate at Dortmund or wherever a Brazzer?

09-26-2019, 09:32 AM
His mum was Spanish - hopes this helps

That does help. They understood my South American Spanish in Portugal. But it's still not the same, is it? They sound like their speaking Russian to me. Obrigado.

Luis Anaconda
09-26-2019, 09:40 AM
That does help. They understood my South American Spanish in Portugal. But it's still not the same, is it? They sound like their speaking Russian to me. Obrigado.

:hehe: Only joking - from my understanding of the quote from Martinelli, he just said an introduction in Portuguese - as in All right, mate. He does speak English, French, German, Spanish and Italian though so maybe in his spare time he's learnt another language

09-26-2019, 09:52 AM
:hehe: Only joking - from my understanding of the quote from Martinelli, he just said an introduction in Portuguese - as in All right, mate. He does speak English, French, German, Spanish and Italian though so maybe in his spare time he's learnt another language

That's sort of what I was getting at when I said than on my two visits to Portugal, they understood the Spanish I'd learned in S. America.

But I'm fairly sure they'd have known I was trying to speak Spanish, not Portuguese.

Maybe Auba just went "Hola, mi amigo" and young Gabby was so chuffed it sounded like pwoppa Portuguese to him.

Rich
09-26-2019, 09:59 AM
That's sort of what I was getting at when I said than on my two visits to Portugal, they understood the Spanish I'd learned in S. America.

But I'm fairly sure they'd have known I was trying to speak Spanish, not Portuguese.

Maybe Auba just went "Hola, mi amigo" and young Gabby was so chuffed it sounded like pwoppa Portuguese to him.

I mean, does it really matter?

Tony C
09-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Rich footballer with loads of time on his hands.

Probably learnt some words from every language to help his “chat up” game when he’s partying imo

IUFG
09-26-2019, 10:23 AM
I mean, does it really matter?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/hitchhikers/images/a/a0/Marvinrobot.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20181116220504

Luis Anaconda
09-26-2019, 11:15 AM

Yeah - I love Portugal but the language always gets me. You are right about it sounding Russian sometimes. Apparently, though Portuguese people struggle to understand Brazilians so who knows what they get

Sir C
09-26-2019, 11:39 AM
Yeah - I love Portugal but the language always gets me. You are right about it sounding Russian sometimes. Apparently, though Portuguese people struggle to understand Brazilians so who knows what they get

There’s that chap who’s on podcasts sometimes. Might be Portuguese, might be Brazilian, who can say. Anyway, the point is, when you hear him pronounce Coutinho you learn what a silly language Portugal’s is.

09-26-2019, 11:40 AM

I think they do it on purpose so they don't sound Spanish. It's basically Glaswegian Iberico. When you listen to the Latin accent in France, Italy and Spain, how come that little bit suddenly sounds like Vladivostok in comparison?

As I say, I reckon they spoke the same until 1640 when they became independent again, and just wanted to sound as different as possible. NB This is pure speculation. I haven't read or studied anything even suggesting this.

barrybueno
09-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Let's face it, if your national language isn't even along the lines of your country name then you shouldn't exist. I'm looking at you America and Australia. Scotland and Ireland too.

TheCurly
09-26-2019, 11:54 AM

I hope this helps
"Gabon's first confirmed European visitors were Portuguese explorers and traders who arrived in the late 15th century. The Portuguese settled on the offshore islands of São Tomé, Príncipe, and Fernando Pó, but were regular visitors to the coast"

Luis Anaconda
09-26-2019, 12:21 PM
There’s that chap who’s on podcasts sometimes. Might be Portuguese, might be Brazilian, who can say. Anyway, the point is, when you hear him pronounce Coutinho you learn what a silly language Portugal’s is.

Is it pronounced Mustshooteverytimehehasball?

09-26-2019, 01:12 PM
I hope this helps
"Gabon's first confirmed European visitors were Portuguese explorers and traders who arrived in the late 15th century. The Portuguese settled on the offshore islands of São Tomé, Príncipe, and Fernando Pó, but were regular visitors to the coast"

Just like they were swapping bronze for slaves in Benin for centuries. {cf the stunning artefacts in the British Museum.}

But they weren't the colonial power at the time when mass education would have started in the late C19th or early C20th and as such, they wouldn't have left a lasting linguistic impression on the country.

{1st in Imperial history, init?}

TheCurly
09-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Just like they were swapping bronze for slaves in Benin for centuries. {cf the stunning artefacts in the British Museum.}

But they weren't the colonial power at the time when mass education would have started in the late C19th or early C20th and as such, they wouldn't have left a lasting linguistic impression on the country.

{1st in Imperial history, init?}

Indeed. My own fair island was invaded by a foreign foe from the C15th onwards and one can still hear on a few secluded areas the remains of the invaders tongue

Ash
09-26-2019, 01:38 PM
Indeed. My own fair island was invaded by a foreign foe from the C15th onwards and one can still hear on a few secluded areas the remains of the invaders tongue

I thought the Vikings invaded and founded Dublin long before that.

WES
09-26-2019, 01:41 PM
I think they do it on purpose so they don't sound Spanish. It's basically Glaswegian Iberico. When you listen to the Latin accent in France, Italy and Spain, how come that little bit suddenly sounds like Vladivostok in comparison?

As I say, I reckon they spoke the same until 1640 when they became independent again, and just wanted to sound as different as possible. NB This is pure speculation. I haven't read or studied anything even suggesting this.

Funny, I was speaking to a Brazilian chap just yesterday who assured me the Spanish and Portuguese were very similar.

Yet when I asked some of the locals in Lisbon they assured me they were completely different. :sherlock:

TheCurly
09-26-2019, 01:52 PM
I thought the Vikings invaded and founded Dublin long before that.

I was speaking tongue-firmly-in-cheek A :)
I was always taught in school that any place name ending in FORD in basically Nog and there is a many here.
Funnily enough Junior and I were watching the game on Tuesday with an Arabic commentary and he commented (as a non-Spanish speaker) how Spanish it sounded to him.The Moorish influence on Spanish i would assume?

Ash
09-26-2019, 02:08 PM
I was speaking tongue-firmly-in-cheek A :)
I was always taught in school that any place name ending in FORD in basically Nog and there is a many here.
Funnily enough Junior and I were watching the game on Tuesday with an Arabic commentary and he commented (as a non-Spanish speaker) how Spanish it sounded to him.The Moorish influence on Spanish i would assume?

Nah, here in unconquered Wessex we have loads of -fords. Why, the other day I was in Greenford and Brentford.

It's Frisian, as it turns out, so Auld English. :judge:

TheCurly
09-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Nah, here in unconquered Wessex we have loads of -fords. Why, the other day I was in Greenford and Brentford.

It's Frisian, as it turns out, so Auld English. :judge:

Well one considers oneself told and no mistake :thumbup: