PDA

View Full Version : The most momentous decision handed out by the Supreme Court in its

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-24-2019, 10:15 AM
history and where the hell are our constitutional experts Berni and Monty? How the hell am I supposed to know what to think?

Sir C
09-24-2019, 10:25 AM
history and where the hell are our constitutional experts Berni and Monty? How the hell am I supposed to know what to think?

I think you should be scared. There is clearly a section of the establishment which will stop at nothing to stop Brexit happening, despite the result of the referendum - and whilst I shy away from intemperate or hyperbolic language, this is a clear denial of democracy.

In many other countries we would have had tanks on the streets by now. Happily the people of the UK are made of phlegmatic stuff, but where will this end?

Monty92
09-24-2019, 10:28 AM
I think you should be scared. There is clearly a section of the establishment which will stop at nothing to stop Brexit happening, despite the result of the referendum - and whilst I shy away from intemperate or hyperbolic language, this is a clear denial of democracy.

In many other countries we would have had tanks on the streets by now. Happily the people of the UK are made of phlegmatic stuff, but where will this end?

I always assumed the initial prorogation was intended to goad parliament into swiftly passing legislation that would compel Boris to rule out No Deal, which is precisely what happened.

Not sure this how this could have been part of the cunning plan though...

Rich
09-24-2019, 10:36 AM

I would suggest that it makes Boris' position as Prime Minister untenable & that he will be forced to resign sooner rather than later. Does this mean that we'll have Prime Minister Hunt after the inevitable election?

AFC East
09-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Lol. As cheeky as Boris.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Lol. As cheeky as Boris.

on most matters and always maintain a civil and moderate tone.

His piece on why he would continue to leave his door unlocked, even after being burgled,had me chuckling for hours - pure Wodehouse in concept and delivery.

Now he just blubs about Brexit and the fact that the old french tit was finally shown the door.

Ash
09-24-2019, 11:28 AM
I always assumed the initial prorogation was intended to goad parliament into swiftly passing legislation that would compel Boris to rule out No Deal, which is precisely what happened.

Not sure this how this could have been part of the cunning plan though...

When is it that he has to go to Brussels, bend ze knee and beg for an extension while accepting whatever preconditions they apply?

That morning would be the time to resign imo. :hehe:

Monty92
09-24-2019, 12:08 PM
When is it that he has to go to Brussels, bend ze knee and beg for an extension while accepting whatever preconditions they apply?

That morning would be the time to resign imo. :hehe:

If anyone's asking for an extension, it won't be Boris.

Sir C
09-24-2019, 12:09 PM
on most matters and always maintain a civil and moderate tone.

His piece on why he would continue to leave his door unlocked, even after being burgled,had me chuckling for hours - pure Wodehouse in concept and delivery.

Now he just blubs about Brexit and the fact that the old french tit was finally shown the door.

That's a little unfair. I have always tried to be reasoned and polite. Except to Bignose.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-24-2019, 12:18 PM
That's a little unfair. I have always tried to be reasoned and polite. Except to Bignose.

You are continually being perfectly ghastly to WES - usually in tandem with Berni like two sixth form bullies in some tatty lower middle-class public school. You are horrid about Jorge who, despite being a swivel eyed marxist nutjob, was always a perfect gentleman when posting here.

Pokster
09-24-2019, 12:20 PM
You are continually being perfectly ghastly to WES - usually in tandem with Berni like two sixth form bullies in some tatty lower middle-class public school. You are horrid about Jorge who, despite being a swivel eyed marxist nutjob, was always a perfect gentleman when posting here.

You should see the abuse he gives your mum..... well, she is being paid for it but it isn't nice to watch.

Sir C
09-24-2019, 12:28 PM

You exagerate. One may occasionally engage bantamode without being accused of abuse, surely?

Ash
09-24-2019, 12:36 PM

What this shows is how decisions made by governments, in this case one trying to implement the result of a referendum, can be overturned by a panel of unelected, unaccountable, ruling class judges. In true Orwellian style, elite remainers claim it as a victory for democracy, when it is the complete opposite.

Seeing as they've decapitated the government but refused an election, the Remain coalition currently in power against the will of their constituents might as well pass an enabling act to abolish elections altogether, thus ensuring that the pesky plebs will never upset them again. :nod:

Monty92
09-24-2019, 12:59 PM
What this shows is how decisions made by governments, in this case one trying to implement the result of a referendum, can be overturned by a panel of unelected, unaccountable, ruling class judges. In true Orwellian style, elite remainers claim it as a victory for democracy, when it is the complete opposite.

Seeing as they've decapitated the government but refused an election, the Remain coalition currently in power against the will of their constituents might as well pass an enabling act to abolish elections altogether, thus ensuring that the pesky plebs will never upset them again. :nod:

But according to the government the prorogation had nothing to do with Brexit - and therefore neither should this ruling :shrug:

Viva Prat Vegas
09-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Sir C, it would appear that Herbert Augustus Chapman has not only "got your number" but also your name, shoe size, bank details, the foot you put your first Saville Row sock on in the morning,... the lot!

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-24-2019, 01:13 PM
But according to the government the prorogation had nothing to do with Brexit - and therefore neither should this ruling :shrug:

Err... yeah Ash ... what Monty said

Sir C
09-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Sir C, it would appear that Herbert Augustus Chapman has not only "got your number" but also your name, shoe size, bank details, the foot you put your first Saville Row sock on in the morning,... the lot!

I can't comment on herbert, lest he accuse me of abusing him. :-(

Monty92
09-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Err... yeah Ash ... what Monty said

You should do this with my football posts too.

Especially ones about Pepe.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-24-2019, 01:17 PM

And the fact he spends a great deal of his spare time repairing to the mountains of Cumbria in order to sully himself in the privacy of a grubby tent.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-24-2019, 01:23 PM
:thumbup:

It think I saw him having a shuffle on the Hearth Rug in front of a roaring log fire during one of C's Cornish trips last year ...but my binoculars misted up

Ash
09-24-2019, 01:41 PM

Do you really think this ruling is legal but not political?

Ash
09-24-2019, 01:44 PM

In which case Sir C should submit a Subject Access Data Request to Mr Chapman and demand to know, under the GDPR laws, why he holds that data and how he is processing it.

redgunamo
09-24-2019, 01:49 PM
I didn't even know we had a Supreme Court, to be honest. Well done, Boris.

Monty92
09-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Do you really think this ruling is legal but not political?

No.

All I'm really saying is that this is your fault for voting for Corbyn's Labour, who you'd have to be staggeringly naive to think was *ever* going to allow a Tory Brexit without attempting to sabotage it, regardless of their mealy-mouthed manifesto.

Ash
09-24-2019, 02:11 PM
No.

All I'm really saying is that this is your fault for voting for Corbyn's Labour, who you'd have to be staggeringly naive to think was *ever* going to allow a Tory Brexit without attempting to sabotage it, regardless of their mealy-mouthed manifesto.

If we all had a pound every time we voted for someone who went against their word, we'd almost have enough money to buy a very small round of drinks by now.

It is the going against his principals though that really sticks in the craw. How the eff does he think he's going to nationalise anything in the EU, or even dabble with public capital investment over private? I almost literally* want us to remain and for him to win the election just for the popcorn of watching that one play out.

Tony C
09-24-2019, 02:39 PM
btw What was the deal with that spider in the judge?

Yikes