Tony C
09-23-2019, 02:09 PM
It’s his birthday and he’s spending it with one twitter rant after the other

Outstanding :clap:

Burney
09-23-2019, 02:12 PM

It's his birthday as well as Bruce Springsteen's AND Floella Benjamin's?

In fact, Floella and Bruce are both 70 today. There's odd, eh?

Sir C
09-23-2019, 02:13 PM

Ooh, ooh, what are the subjects of his ire today? I'm going to guess Boris, Tom Watson, The UK in general, Leave voters.

Burney
09-23-2019, 02:15 PM

I quickly took a look, saw 'I'm comparing the British Empire and the Nazis in terms of death toll' and clicked away.

That argument was nonsense when he peddled it on here and it's still fúcking nonsense.

PSRB
09-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Has he mentioned how he's going to get his staff down to a 4 day week on the same pay yet?

Burney
09-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Has he mentioned how he's going to get his staff down to a 4 day week on the same pay yet?

Also, he seems to have come out in favour of paying reparations for 'our' colonial past.

'Our'? I thought he was Irish? :rubchin:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-23-2019, 02:49 PM

What's his twitter address?

PSRB
09-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Also, he seems to have come out in favour of paying reparations for 'our' colonial past.

Reparations, FFS.

My stupid* Great, Great Grandfather sold of 7/8ths of Farnham for pretty much sod all, I'd like that back

*he wasn't at all

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Do we get any money back for the blood and treasure we spent stamping out slavery around the globe?

And do we get back any money from the Frogs, Danes, Krauts and Wops for their invasions and colonisation of us?

Sir C
09-23-2019, 02:50 PM
What's his twitter address?

@smuggerthanowenjones

Burney
09-23-2019, 03:21 PM
Do we get any money back for the blood and treasure we spent stamping out slavery around the globe?

And do we get back any money from the Frogs, Danes, Krauts and Wops for their invasions and colonisation of us?

No, because we are uniquely evil in the history of the globe, see? Never mind the fact that ours was by some distance the most benign empire the world has ever seen, we're evil. EVIL!

IUFG
09-23-2019, 03:26 PM
No, because we are uniquely evil in the history of the globe, see? Never mind the fact that ours was by some distance the most benign empire the world has ever seen, we're evil. EVIL!

There is a fantastically evil rail network in Sri Lanka that popped out of nowhere just at the same time the Brits were in Ceylon.

As part of these reparations do the British have to dismantle this?

Sir C
09-23-2019, 03:29 PM
There is a fantastically evil rail network in Sri Lanka that popped out of nowhere just at the same time the Brits were in Ceylon.

As part of these reparations do the British have to dismantle this?

Oddly, the Sri Lankan rail netowrk is traditionally heavily staffed by Burghers - that is to say Sri Lankans of Dutch descent.

IUFG
09-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Oddly, the Sri Lankan rail netowrk is traditionally heavily staffed by Burghers - that is to say Sri Lankans of Dutch descent.

Heavily staffed?

Is that why most of the passengers are clinging to the outside of the carriages?

Sir C
09-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Heavily staffed?

Is that why most of the passengers are clinging to the outside of the carriages?

I enjoyed a wonderful train ride from Kandy to Ella once. I sat inside, as well.

IUFG
09-23-2019, 03:38 PM
I enjoyed a wonderful train ride from Kandy to Ella once. I sat inside, as well.

I did Colombo to Galle and Colombo to Kandy.

Lovely views. Smelled bad.

FACT - locomotive #591 Manitoba was carried 100m inland by the tsunami in 2004?

Chief Arrowhead
09-23-2019, 03:40 PM

I trust the tea service was up to civilised standards?

Sir C
I did Colombo to Galle and Colombo to Kandy.

Lovely views. Smelled bad.

FACT - locomotive #591 Manitoba was carried 100m inland by the tsunami in 2004?

That's a nice fact there i :thumbup:

Burney

I've always liked the sound of Kandy, but always wonder why they named an inexpensive brand of white goods after it.

IUFG
09-23-2019, 03:42 PM
That's a nice fact there i :thumbup:

it is indeed.

I assume those shanty towns either side of the railway lines were obliterated by it. :-(

Sir C
09-23-2019, 03:42 PM
I've always liked the sound of Kandy, but always wonder why they named an inexpensive brand of white goods after it.

Temple of the Buddha's Tooth. Nice.

I ate a chinese meal in Kandy once. That was an odd experience.

Burney
09-23-2019, 03:43 PM
Temple of the Buddha's Tooth. Nice.

I ate a chinese meal in Kandy once. That was an odd experience.

Balls in gloop?

IUFG
09-23-2019, 03:43 PM

Lovely botanical gardens, b. Temple of the Tooth, etc.

The beer is shít, of course...

Sir C
09-23-2019, 03:46 PM
Balls in gloop?

No, it's just the way these trousers bunch up.

Burney
09-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Lovely botanical gardens, b. Temple of the Tooth, etc.

The beer is shít, of course...

I have an entirely irrational dislike of the phrase 'Botanical Gardens'. I think it's because my folks took me to the one in Dublin when I was little and I'd got it into my head that it was basically a zoo. When I got there, no tigers, no gorillas, not even a reptile house. Just fúcking plants!

I kicked off.

Burney
09-23-2019, 03:48 PM
No, it's just the way these trousers bunch up.

:clap: I was thinking 'Well it was rather warm', but that's equally good.

IUFG
09-23-2019, 03:53 PM
I have an entirely irrational dislike of the phrase 'Botanical Gardens'. I think it's because my folks took me to the one in Dublin when I was little and I'd got it into my head that it was basically a zoo. When I got there, no tigers, no gorillas, not even a reptile house. Just fúcking plants!

I kicked off.

I'm guessing the one in Dublin wouldn't measure up to the one in Kandy, b.

But yes, just plants and trees...

Burney
09-23-2019, 03:55 PM
I'm guessing the one in Dublin wouldn't measure up to the one in Kandy, b.

But yes, just plants and trees...

At least out there I suppose there's a chance a tiger or a monkey or something might at least wander in and alleviate the floral tedium.

Sir C
09-23-2019, 04:00 PM
:clap: I was thinking 'Well it was rather warm', but that's equally good.

Also in Kandy I wandered into the grounds of an Anglican church and encountered the chap who looks after the graves of our brave colonial administrators, many gathered unto God at a young age. Now this chap performs sterling work tendin the cemetary, speaks excellent English and was delighted to show us around and let us look into the burial record books and so on. He even made us tea. What was mildly disconcerting was that he was about 108 years old, had o9ne single tooth in his head, and wore nothing but a dhoti. It was like talking to an incredibly ancient baby.

IUFG
09-23-2019, 04:00 PM
At least out there I suppose there's a chance a tiger or a monkey or something might at least wander in and alleviate the floral tedium.

There will always be a few fighting monkeys rolling around the floor there :nod:

A bit like Temple Bar, really

Burney
09-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Also in Kandy I wandered into the grounds of an Anglican church and encountered the chap who looks after the graves of our brave colonial administrators, many gathered unto God at a young age. Now this chap performs sterling work tendin the cemetary, speaks excellent English and was delighted to show us around and let us look into the burial record books and so on. He even made us tea. What was mildly disconcerting was that he was about 108 years old, had o9ne single tooth in his head, and wore nothing but a dhoti. It was like talking to an incredibly ancient baby.

Did he smell like a badger? :-\

IUFG
09-23-2019, 04:07 PM

I suppose a lack of sanitation, constant 30+ degree heat and 90-odd percent humidity takes its toll on ones body odour.

Sir C
09-23-2019, 04:08 PM

He didn't. Actually I wonder if i will back me up here... in the Temple of the Tooth there were about 600 million Sri Lankans jammed into a room the size of a large cupboard, with the temperature about 900 degrees, and as I stood jammed absolutely immobile amidst this mass of humanity, it struck me that there was absolutely no overwhelming reek of sweaty armpits, which one would expect ina lmost any other 'developing country'. Perhaps Sri Lankans don't sweat so bad.

Burney
09-23-2019, 04:10 PM
He didn't. Actually I wonder if i will back me up here... in the Temple of the Tooth there were about 600 million Sri Lankans jammed into a room the size of a large cupboard, with the temperature about 900 degrees, and as I stood jammed absolutely immobile amidst this mass of humanity, it struck me that there was absolutely no overwhelming reek of sweaty armpits, which one would expect ina lmost any other 'developing country'. Perhaps Sri Lankans don't sweat so bad.

wd Lankans imo. Now I think about it, the ones I've played cricket with have been reasonably fragrant, too.

Some of the Indian lads, though. :yikes:

Burney
09-23-2019, 04:11 PM
I suppose a lack of sanitation, constant 30+ degree heat and 90-odd percent humidity takes its toll on ones body odour.

That has certainly been my experience of the Tube this summer.

IUFG
09-23-2019, 04:13 PM

When you don't notice it, you don't notice. But there were some that ****ing reeked. Usually those doing the manual labour stuff.

Still not as bad as a bloke who cycled past me in Dubai. I could smell his vapour trail for a good 100 yards...

Sir C
09-23-2019, 04:15 PM
When you don't notice it, you don't notice. But there were some that ****ing reeked. Usually those doing the manual labour stuff.

Still not as bad as a bloke who cycled past me in Dubai. I could smell his vapour trail for a good 100 yards...

Yes, I remember a chap in Kenya during the rains. His chosen outfit of shorts, wellies and mac must have been in situ for a long, long time, for he exuded a smell which quite boggled the mind. And that was before my nosejob!

Burney
09-23-2019, 04:20 PM
Yes, I remember a chap in Kenya during the rains. His chosen outfit of shorts, wellies and mac must have been in situ for a long, long time, for he exuded a smell which quite boggled the mind. And that was before my nosejob!

The worst I've encountered was a tramp on the Paris Metro. You could literally smell him 30 seconds before you saw him. He just lurched out of the shadows with his hand out and you immediately gave him whatever was in your pocket to stop yourself gagging.

He's probably a millionaire.

barrybueno
09-23-2019, 08:08 PM
Reparations, FFS.

My stupid* Great, Great Grandfather sold of 7/8ths of Farnham for pretty much sod all, I'd like that back

*he wasn't at all

****in right, where's my reparations for the firm I did printing for that never paid?

redgunamo
09-24-2019, 01:45 PM
"You have stolen my dreams and my childhood," was it? :-(