PDA

View Full Version : Meddle is a fine album imo

Ash
09-06-2019, 11:02 AM
apart from the ghastly intrusion of the hubcap thieves, obviously. It's the first time they found their 'second sound' after Syd left and those two albums of mostly garbage.

And I didn't realise that Waters had proposed calling 'Echoes' 'We won the double' in honour of our 71 glory.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-06-2019, 11:12 AM
apart from the ghastly intrusion of the hubcap thieves, obviously. It's the first time they found their 'second sound' after Syd left and those two albums of mostly garbage.

And I didn't realise that Waters had proposed calling 'Echoes' 'We won the double' in honour of our 71 glory.

I concur wholeheartedly and I never understand the cognoscenti's contention that some of the tracks, "Seamus" & "St Tropez" in particular, should be an embarrassment to them.

It heralds, as I think you allude to, the start of the greatest of the four Floyd incarnations.

bbrian
09-06-2019, 11:37 AM

Echoes is a great choon to pop on whilst commuting and feeling a bit road-ragey ...calms me right down

Ash
09-06-2019, 12:23 PM
I concur wholeheartedly and I never understand the cognoscenti's contention that some of the tracks, "Seamus" & "St Tropez" in particular, should be an embarrassment to them.

It heralds, as I think you allude to, the start of the greatest of the four Floyd incarnations.

:nod: 71-77 for me.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Echoes is a great choon to pop on whilst commuting and feeling a bit road-ragey ...calms me right down

On my first trip, we'd been listening to tekno. When we were coming down, one went to bed and me and my mate went to his room and put on Echoes. When I heard the watery synth sounds at the start, I exclaimed "There's no way music like this can be legal."

Still my fave single toon of all time.

But the modern acid tekno I was listening to from 1992 onwards was even more mindblowing.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-06-2019, 01:07 PM
But the modern acid tekno I was listening to from 1992 onwards was even more mindblowing.

Would you be kind enough to put together a playlist of, say, the top 10, in your esteemed opinion., of that particular genre from that time?

I know that back then I heard some stuff that was stunning - multi layered and nuanced - but took no notice of the who and wherefore. It is more likely to be mushrooms these days btw as I no longer ever have a whole 10 hours to spend in the other place.

09-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Would you be kind enough to put together a playlist of, say, the top 10, in your esteemed opinion., of that particular genre from that time?

I know that back then I heard some stuff that was stunning - multi layered and nuanced - but took no notice of the who and wherefore. It is more likely to be mushrooms these days btw as I no longer ever have a whole 10 hours to spend in the other place.

I wish I could, Herbs.

But I couldn't even keep two records in time. Ironically, the main man from the first sound system I hung out with, Bedlam, started a facebook page a month or so back, and I spoke to people I haven't seen in the flesh since the early '90s.

Including two of our best DJs (Murf and Aztek). I asked them, but they never made tapes back then. Though I could ask for recommendations.

Though I've found this, from the Liberator DJs. Those three played first, then Murf f¨cked with your head and took you out of body at the best parties, then Aztek gave you the mosh as dawn approached (or Sunday lunchtime depending on when we started) knowing your soul had been saved and you were in safe hands.

So this is the sound of the London underground scene in the early '90s. Well, part of it. This is the 303 stuff that got you going for a few hours until everyone was peaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AH_5OyCsco&t=445s

Well worth a listen, but it's an hour long set so takes you on a trip.

If you want one silly song from a different style, the sort we'd play on Sunday afternoon when the rig had warmed up, this is a bit of a giggle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqJ0NI-5SfE

As it's made for mixing, the first minute and a bit seems to have nothing, but listen from there (or the beginning) and wait for it to kick in.

This is the B-side. It's harder and faster than the classical London Underground above, as it's a year or two later. When hardcore was getting towards Gabba. But this is also a 303 tune, but being harder and faster is fun, but doesn't give your head as much space to rise the frequencies as the top mix. Worth a listen to get the idea of the move from acid towards Gabba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIj6lNCzmU

Oh, you must listen to this. It's the story of my life.

Also by Liberator. The narrations starts after the first break c.1'45" in. Replace Stella with Special Brew and "until Monday night" with "for the next two decades" and this is true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZH8jdFU3jM

It's a joke, but it's funny if you lived it, and still has a great 303-line on the mix-out.

But if you want some Spiral Tribe Hard Trance as opposed to Bedlam acid (which you may prefer on shrooms, or depending on taste), I'll try and dig some out for you.

Chief Arrowhead
09-06-2019, 02:28 PM
I wish I could, Herbs.

But I couldn't even keep two records in time. Ironically, the main man from the first sound system I hung out with, Bedlam, started a facebook page a month or so back, and I spoke to people I haven't seen in the flesh since the early '90s.

Including two of our best DJs (Murf and Aztek). I asked them, but they never made tapes back then. Though I could ask for recommendations.

Though I've found this, from the Liberator DJs. Those three played first, then Murf f¨cked with your head and took you out of body at the best parties, then Aztek gave you the mosh as dawn approached (or Sunday lunchtime depending on when we started) knowing your soul had been saved and you were in safe hands.

So this is the sound of the London underground scene in the early '90s. Well, part of it. This is the 303 stuff that got you going for a few hours until everyone was peaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AH_5OyCsco&t=445s

Well worth a listen, but it's an hour long set so takes you on a trip.

If you want one silly song from a different style, the sort we'd play on Sunday afternoon when the rig had warmed up, this is a bit of a giggle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqJ0NI-5SfE

As it's made for mixing, the first minute and a bit seems to have nothing, but listen from there (or the beginning) and wait for it to kick in.

This is the B-side. It's harder and faster than the classical London Underground above, as it's a year or two later. When hardcore was getting towards Gabba. But this is also a 303 tune, but being harder and faster is fun, but doesn't give your head as much space to rise the frequencies as the top mix. Worth a listen to get the idea of the move from acid towards Gabba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIj6lNCzmU

Oh, you must listen to this. It's the story of my life.

Also by Liberator. The narrations starts after the first break c.1'45" in. Replace Stella with Special Brew and "until Monday night" with "for the next two decades" and this is true:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZH8jdFU3jM

It's a joke, but it's funny if you lived it, and still has a great 303-line on the mix-out.

But if you want some Spiral Tribe Hard Trance as opposed to Bedlam acid (which you may prefer on shrooms, or depending on taste), I'll try and dig some out for you.

If I may, one more taking into consideration Herbs proclivities. A bit risque, I admit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1UXCdyNo0

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-06-2019, 02:37 PM
If I may, one more taking into consideration Herbs proclivities. A bit risque, I admit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1UXCdyNo0

whooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! - afternoon delight!

Memories .. they used to use a sample from this on Saturday afternoon on Capital Radio back in '74. I ain't ashamed to admit that I love this song Chief :-) But as you know, I also love Home Lovin' Man by Andy Williams

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Thank you kindly Ganpz - I look forward to exploring these goodies :-)

09-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Thank you kindly Ganpz - I look forward to exploring these goodies :-)

Enjoy, mate. If you want some Spiral live sets, (more acidy hard trance than pure London underground acid, let me know.) And do listen to One Night in Hackney. That's where we were based.

Say, we are da ruffest sound system come outta Hack-ney.

John Bunnell
09-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Echoes is PF's finest song imo. The rest of Meddle I can take it or leave it tbh. I saw Gilmore play Echoes live at Royal Albert Hall with an insane laser show. I was flying on cocaine it was brilliant.

09-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Echoes is PF's finest song imo. The rest of Meddle I can take it or leave it tbh. I saw Gilmore play Echoes live at Royal Albert Hall with an insane laser show. I was flying on cocaine it was brilliant.

*******s.

One Of These Days.

If you think about the roots of stonking 4-4 bassline tekno, its roots are there.

Just like the roots of acid tekno are in On The Run on Dark Side of the Moon.

Our bass bins were originally from Pink Floyd's Animals tour. Double 15" W-bins. {Drivers point backwards and the sound comes out the front on either side having travelled in a W shape. Much better than 18" bass scoops, some of which I later owned myself.}

But while the rest of the first side of Meddle is a bit take or leave, One Of These Days is a top choon. One of the bestest ever.

John Bunnell
09-07-2019, 06:27 PM
*******s.

One Of These Days.

If you think about the roots of stonking 4-4 bassline tekno, its roots are there.

Just like the roots of acid tekno are in On The Run on Dark Side of the Moon.

Our bass bins were originally from Pink Floyd's Animals tour. Double 15" W-bins. {Drivers point backwards and the sound comes out the front on either side having travelled in a W shape. Much better than 18" bass scoops, some of which I later owned myself.}

But while the rest of the first side of Meddle is a bit take or leave, One Of These Days is a top choon. One of the bestest ever.

I hear you. It's a gangbuster tune especially live but the studio version hasn't aged well for me especially when held up next to other later PF records with immaculate production.

09-07-2019, 09:16 PM
I hear you. It's a gangbuster tune especially live but the studio version hasn't aged well for me especially when held up next to other later PF records with immaculate production.

Disagree.

But then I was into the banging basslines of the London Underground acid sound.

That choon is basically twin basslines as frequencies. My kinda music. Think a 303 with the cut off freq down low and the resonance turned up over a 4-4 bassline that's rumbling the sub.

Listen to the bit just before the vocal sample. Just a rumbling bassline frequency. No wonder God gave us their bas bins for our parties.

Proper fückin' music, that.

Even if the B-side of Meddle was blank (instead of having the best pop tune ever written) I'd still think it one of the best albums ever just for having the first bassline as frequency proto-tekno ever.

Unfortunately, I'm too young to have seen them live.

Got any links to it live?

IUFG
09-09-2019, 02:05 PM

Oooh. Britannia Row Productions equipment? Mighty fine gear you have there, gg.

I went to a Leftfield gig when they were trying out a new Turbosound rig, my nasal septum was vibrating :cloud9:

09-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Oooh. Britannia Row Productions equipment? Mighty fine gear you have there, gg.

I went to a Leftfield gig when they were trying out a new Turbosound rig, my nasal septum was vibrating :cloud9:

Some mates had some Turbosound at the last Tekkie I went to in Italy, about a decade a go. It wasn't a big party so all the rigs got put together to just have once dancefloot.

The Turbosound stuff sounded so much louder and cleaner than all the others.

IUFG
09-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Some mates had some Turbosound at the last Tekkie I went to in Italy, about a decade a go. It wasn't a big party so all the rigs got put together to just have once dancefloot.

The Turbosound stuff sounded so much louder and cleaner than all the others.

and a very happy 909 day, of course.

https://cdn-resources.ableton.com/resources/filer_thumbnails/2014/09/09/roland_tr-909_large.png__615x363_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

or indeed

https://static.roland.com/assets/images/products/main/mc_909_top_main.jpg

09-09-2019, 11:05 PM

https://cdn-resources.ableton.com/resources/filer_thumbnails/2014/09/09/roland_tr-909_large.png__615x363_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

or indeed

Our first live sets were in the pre-808 days. A 606 drum machine connected to a 303 via some wire that was pre-MIDI. Just kept them in time. I'm sure in a later studio, an 808/909 sounded better. But when we just had our rhythm and frequency pwoppa London Underground acid, the 606-303 was perfect.

That was"Persons Unknown" {Huggy and Jay.} They thought Spiral Tribe how to play live sets.

{I had an MC-303 for a bit but I have no music talent. Still made a couple of people happy, including a business class lounge in Athens after our Emirates flights back from Ind (via Dubia) got diverted and all, incl. us plebs, were allowed into the business class lounge.

Plugged it in with a fourway and tiny 10w speaker on the floor. The suit reading the FT in the nearest seat was nodding his head along as I played a fluffy acid trance preset.

But yeah, those where what the musically skilled lads were using in mid-late '90s and early '00s, till laptops took over.

Is you musical, IUFG? I wish I was but am not, so my role was to help carry the equipment, set it up, and then start caning it. Please post liks to your music if you have any.

John Bunnell
09-10-2019, 07:17 AM

or indeed

I have a vintage 909 in my loft.

IUFG
09-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Is you musical, IUFG? I wish I was but am not, so my role was to help carry the equipment, set it up, and then start caning it. Please post liks to your music if you have any.

My family are the musicians, gg.

I seem to have been left a struggling amateur. Whereas my daughter is pitch perfect...

I can get around a guitar (and therefore bass) and have a few hardware synths -current faves Bass Station II and a TB-03.
Always struggled with drum machines and hardware sequencers. Ableton Live, Fruity Loops and USB controlled midi have been a godsend tbh.

I've uploaded a few patches, grooves and samples to various websites (Novation, etc) in the past but my attempts at songs are a long way off being worthy of publishing. Still, that hasn't stopped countless others...

IUFG
09-10-2019, 09:32 AM
I have a vintage 909 in my loft.

Get it used or get it sold (got to be worth 2-3K GBP).

It is no good in a loft, jb.

09-10-2019, 09:38 AM
My family are the musicians, gg.

I seem to have been left a struggling amateur. Whereas my daughter is pitch perfect...

I can get around a guitar (and therefore bass) and have a few hardware synths -current faves Bass Station II and a TB-03.
Always struggled with drum machines and hardware sequencers. Ableton Live, Fruity Loops and USB controlled midi have been a godsend tbh.

I've uploaded a few patches, grooves and samples to various websites (Novation, etc) in the past but my attempts at songs are a long way off being worthy of publishing. Still, that hasn't stopped countless others...

What's the diff between this tb-03 and the 303? Just watched a vid. Sounds the same.

IUFG
09-10-2019, 01:24 PM
What's the diff between this tb-03 and the 303? Just watched a vid. Sounds the same.

Different circuitry and Upgraded for the modern era, I suppose. midi and usb connectivity, on board effects, led display and a simpler step-mode programming feature.

Purists slate it, of course, but then not that many 303s are still around and those that are at c.£2K

09-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Different circuitry and Upgraded for the modern era, I suppose. midi and usb connectivity, on board effects, led display and a simpler step-mode programming feature.

Purists slate it, of course, but then not that many 303s are still around and those that are at c.£2K

Then why didn't they make it with the bigger dials, like they did with the MC 303 groovebox? I had one of those.

09-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Why would anyone pay 2-3 grand for a drum machine nowadays?

IUFG
09-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Why would anyone pay 2-3 grand for a drum machine nowadays?

I think the old, original TR808, TR909, SH101, TB303, etc have got that nostalgic and 'authentic' appeal. Certainly the 303 which production was stopped after 10,000 units now has a scarcity appeal.

IUFG
09-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Then why didn't they make it with the bigger dials, like they did with the MC 303 groovebox? I had one of those.

That would be my only criticism, it is as if Roland have tried to make all of the new boutique range, shoe box sized.

Still, they are battery operated if you wish and have built in (shít) speakers. Great if you want to go and sit somewhere and acid it out...

09-11-2019, 11:51 AM
That would be my only criticism, it is as if Roland have tried to make all of the new boutique range, shoe box sized.

Still, they are battery operated if you wish and have built in (shít) speakers. Great if you want to go and sit somewhere and acid it out...

That would be ideal if only I had the ability to write/programme an acid line. When I've played with a pro's 303, I've had hours of fun, cos the acid lines I'm twiddling are so good. But write my own? You might as well ask me to write a sonnet in Sanskrit.

First time I played with a 303, tripping on lots of top quality acid (perhaps Red Dragons?), I realised how little change to the dial you had to make to change the frequency. The smaller the change, the more powerful it felt.

By the end, I was just just touching the cut off freq or res knob with slightly varying amounts of pressure. Such small changes that I wouldn't been able to feel it if I'd been pressing my own fingertip, not the top of the knob.

And that why analogue's God.

Though I suppose if quantum mechanics is true, there must be a quantum of 303. A point at which the 303 switches from one quantum state (or string to another.)

Though tbh, it wouldn't surprise me if the 303 broke the rules of quantum physics and you could make analogue changes smaller than the smallest string. It certainly fücking deserves to.

John Bunnell
09-11-2019, 02:34 PM

I plan to dust it off and wire it back up. I also have a Roland JP-8000. Can't beat that hardware sound.