Just seen that. I'm astonished.

PSRB
09-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Just seen that. I'm astonished.

Not sure our tail will wag a whole lot more than docked Daschund

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Not against Starc on a quick pitch. Just need the top six to score loads :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Seriously - hopefully if Starc is a bit rusty he might leak a few runs which takes the control they have away. Otherwise we need Root and Stokes miracle innings again

PSRB
09-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Seems a ridiculous decision to me

Also looks like we'll only get 3.5 days play with half a day tomorrow and none on Friday :cry:

Burney
09-03-2019, 01:11 PM

I mean if you were looking for a like-for-like replacement (swing bowler + decent bat) you'd go for Curran, wouldn't you? Do they think Overton has something that will particularly suit him to OT?

Burney
09-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Not against Starc on a quick pitch. Just need the top six to score loads :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Seriously - hopefully if Starc is a bit rusty he might leak a few runs which takes the control they have away. Otherwise we need Root and Stokes miracle innings again

To be honest, if you'd had a bet that someone was going to be dropped, all your candidates would've been from the top 6 batsmen rather than the bowling unit, wouldn't they?

Pokster
09-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Seems a ridiculous decision to me

Replace Woakes with a bloke with a test average of 42... WTF?

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2019, 01:20 PM
To be honest, if you'd had a bet that someone was going to be dropped, all your candidates would've been from the top 6 batsmen rather than the bowling unit, wouldn't they?

Indeed - I do think Woakes is off colour, whether a reaction to the World Cup or just to the injuries he's had (and presumably would have been the one to drop out if Jimmy were fit). I can see the sense in Roy dropping to four. Would be tough to bring in Sibley now - one only Championship game in a while and he got 0 and 4. Plus he is more of a sticker than a dasher - as much as we need those I think him and Burns would be a touch negative at the top of the order.

Pope will come in at the Oval should we lose and will definitely feature in NZ/SA. Possible recall for Ian Bell as well :hide:

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Replace Woakes with a bloke with a test average of 42... WTF?

tbf not many bowlers out there who have even played a Test. Wood, Stone, Jimmy all injured. Actually a case for bringing Moeen back, just to have some experience. HANG ON - JUST REALISED SAM CURRAN IS IN THE SQUAD. WHY HAD I MISSED THAT

Burney
09-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Indeed - I do think Woakes is off colour, whether a reaction to the World Cup or just to the injuries he's had (and presumably would have been the one to drop out if Jimmy were fit). I can see the sense in Roy dropping to four. Would be tough to bring in Sibley now - one only Championship game in a while and he got 0 and 4. Plus he is more of a sticker than a dasher - as much as we need those I think him and Burns would be a touch negative at the top of the order.

Pope will come in at the Oval should we lose and will definitely feature in NZ/SA. Possible recall for Ian Bell as well :hide:

BELLY!!!!! :clap:

I do like the way Bell is currently being reassessed as a product of our golden age rather than the unreliable flat-track bully he was for much of his career. :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2019, 01:24 PM
I mean if you were looking for a like-for-like replacement (swing bowler + decent bat) you'd go for Curran, wouldn't you? Do they think Overton has something that will particularly suit him to OT?

Completely forgot about Curran - that would make more sense. Lumbering 6ft 5 oaf or talented all rounder?

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2019, 01:27 PM
BELLY!!!!! :clap:

I do like the way Bell is currently being reassessed as a product of our golden age rather than the unreliable flat-track bully he was for much of his career. :hehe:
Very much so - I think he was appreciated more after the 2009 tour to South Africa anyway but the old criticism that he only scored hundreds in innings when someone else got one first seems a luxury these days

PSRB
09-03-2019, 01:28 PM

I feel for Curran, 12th man for basically the entire summer

Burney
09-03-2019, 01:32 PM
Very much so - I think he was appreciated more after the 2009 tour to South Africa anyway but the old criticism that he only scored hundreds in innings when someone else got one first seems a luxury these days

Yes. Don't times change, eh?

I always had a soft spot for Bell as I was at the Oval for his debut when he made 50 against the Windies and he just had such a lovely, classical technique. But God, he could be infuriating. A classic case of a chap who averaged 40-odd by virtue of scoring an awful lot of 40s.

barrybueno
09-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Maybe he's got webbed feet and oily feathers :rubchin: