PDA

View Full Version : Where does AWIMB stand on Leno?

PSRB
09-02-2019, 08:59 AM
I think he's on a par with Lloris, which is perhaps not the most glowing recommendation.

Ash
09-02-2019, 09:04 AM
If you're only as good as your last game, then not too great. Should have done better with their first and did a similar thing soon after ISTR.

But apart from that, I think he's ok.

barrybueno
09-02-2019, 09:13 AM
I think he's on a par with Lloris, which is perhaps not the most glowing recommendation.

On his head or his balls, fúcking useless **** yesterday, generally ok though I think.

Rich
09-02-2019, 09:21 AM

He did a good save from Son, iirc. Obviously a bit of an issue with tipping the ball into the dangerzone but presumably that can be targeted and addressed on the training ground during the International Break (assume he isn't in the Germany squard).

Very good at playing sweeper keeper and gives a sense of calm with the ball at his feet.

When we sign our next keeper it will be proper one like De Gea, Kepa, Allison or Ederson (given our new and brutal regime).

IUFG
09-02-2019, 09:41 AM
He did a good save from Son, iirc. Obviously a bit of an issue with tipping the ball into the dangerzone but presumably that can be targeted and addressed on the training ground during the International Break (assume he isn't in the Germany squard).

Very good at playing sweeper keeper and gives a sense of calm with the ball at his feet.

When we sign our next keeper it will be proper one like De Gea, Kepa, Allison or Ederson (given our new and brutal regime).

Their first looked píss poor. But if you watch the replay the save was made with his very fingertips. There isn't a lot of strength in them to 'push the ball to safety'.

Maybe his positioning wasn't that great..?

PSRB
09-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Their first looked píss poor. But if you watch the replay the save was made with his very fingertips. There isn't a lot of strength in them to 'push the ball to safety'.

Maybe his positioning wasn't that great..?

I did think GNev was a bit hard on him, Lloris did the same thing and got away with it

Maravilloso Marvo
09-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Jesus Christ, you really have no idea do you? Do you really think that a man who has made it to near the very top of his profession is going to come into work on Monday and have a conversation along the lines of

"You should have pushed it away from the danger zone"
"Oh really? I never knew that"
"Well let's get out on that field and do it 100 times over until you learn."

Rich
09-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Jesus Christ, you really have no idea do you? Do you really think that a man who has made it to near the very top of his profession is going to come into work on Monday and have a conversation along the lines of

"You should have pushed it away from the danger zone"
"Oh really? I never knew that"
"Well let's get out on that field and do it 100 times over until you learn."

What is the point of having coaches at all, in that case. Presumably the players just have a kickabout at training as there is no requirement/expectation that they should work to better themselves.

Perhaps this explains the Mustafi conundrum - he has played internationally for Germany so will not work on any of his weaknesses.

IUFG
09-02-2019, 10:45 AM
What is the point of having coaches at all, in that case. Presumably the players just have a kickabout at training as there is no requirement/expectation that they should work to better themselves. .

Goalkeeper training is quite a different animal to outfield training, r

Other than discussing individual match tactics (play out from the back, etc) it really is just repetition, repetition, repetition, in order to transfer your training to matchday situations.

You wouldn't get an outfield player doing repetitions of, say, first touch control of the ball...

Tony C
09-02-2019, 10:58 AM
I decided not to be too harsh on him yesterday.

Yes he should’ve saved or tipped the shot round the post but there were others to blame as well.

I feel blaming him doesn’t exactly solve the problem.

Luis Anaconda
09-02-2019, 11:54 AM

Yes he should’ve saved or tipped the shot round the post but there were others to blame as well.

I think you are spot on there, t

WES
09-02-2019, 12:07 PM

You mean like Sokratis? The Sokratis that shouldn't have gone for the first ball at all because Xhaka was there? And that once he went for it had to win it? Or that once he had gone for it and not won it should have been aware enough to have tracked Eriksen's run so that Eriksen couldn't tap it home.

Having said that, Leno wasn't set properly so he had to reach for the shot more than he might have and therefore couldn't push it away.

Shambles all around really. And then we have that muppet Xhaka to blame for their second.

On the other hand my recollection of our goals involves a sublime touch and finish from Laca, a ball of genius from Gwenda and another sublime finish from Boomerang.

We're better that that lot up the road again. The stench of Wenger's final years had to wear off eventually. :cloud9:

Viva Prat Vegas
09-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Agree with LA about him agreeing with TonyC's agreeable comment

Leno has more than enough credit in the bank to be excused his role in the opening goal and didn't let it affect his subsequent fine performance (one other similar but less costly repeat aside)