PDA

View Full Version : Old Trafford test match

PSRB
09-02-2019, 08:04 AM
reckon there will be 4 days play in all.

Burney
09-02-2019, 08:19 AM
reckon there will be 4 days play in all.

That's usually enough, to be fair.

By the way, I fully anticipate all this 'momentum' guff about Australia still carrying the psychological scar of Headingley turning out to be total balls and for them to come out swinging.

PSRB
09-02-2019, 08:24 AM

By the way, I fully anticipate all this 'momentum' guff about Australia still carrying the psychological scar of Headingley turning out to be total balls and for them to come out swinging.

Smith and their South African will give them a much stronger batting line up. Who will open for us, Burns and AN Other?

WES
09-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Smith and their South African will give them a much stronger batting line up. Who will open for us, Burns and AN Other?

Is it wrong for me to be looking forward to Archer putting a few more under Smith's chin? :rubchin:

Burney
09-02-2019, 08:36 AM

Denly, isn't it? Because apparently fluking your way to a streaky 50 is sufficient qualification to open the batting for England now.

Burney
09-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Is it wrong for me to be looking forward to Archer putting a few more under Smith's chin? :rubchin:

Not at all. Archer hitting people is highly entertaining. Although if Archer's clever, the first ball he bowls him will be a straight, slower ball yorker.

Ash
09-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Denly, isn't it? Because apparently fluking your way to a streaky 50 is sufficient qualification to open the batting for England now.

No other fecker can do the job so why not?

Burney
09-02-2019, 08:53 AM
No other fecker can do the job so why not?

No-one else in the squad can, certainly. I suppose the question is whether someone currently outside the squad would be any better?

Ash
09-02-2019, 09:06 AM
No-one else in the squad can, certainly. I suppose the question is whether someone currently outside the squad would be any better?

I watched that lad Tom Banton for Somerset the other night. Does he have any first class runs?

PSRB
09-02-2019, 09:08 AM
I watched that lad Tom Banton for Somerset the other night. Does he have any first class runs?

I think Sibley is next in line.

Rich
09-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Ollie Pope is a magnificent batsman. I know it didn't work out last time around but he is only 22 and should be persisted with. He will be a fantastic player for England one day; I have no doubt.

Burney
09-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Ollie Pope is a magnificent batsman. I know it didn't work out last time around but he is only 22 and should be persisted with. He will be a fantastic player for England one day; I have no doubt.

I would certainly support trying to mould a young batsman into test cricket over trying to shoehorn a 30 year-old journeyman county pro who can't play short bowling into the slot or trying to turn a white-ball batsman into a red-ball one.

Rich
09-02-2019, 09:43 AM
I would certainly support trying to mould a young batsman into test cricket over trying to shoehorn a 30 year-old journeyman county pro who can't play short bowling into the slot or trying to turn a white-ball batsman into a red-ball one.

Pope is actually only 21. Averages 59 in 28 First Class matches. He was educated at Cranleigh, too. A couple of good friends went there and I can vouch for them being top blokes.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Least he did it against a red ball, B. Previous incumbent got the job because of some exceptional slogging against the white.

Whoever moved the CCC to the start and end of the season so there are no cabs revving on the ranks mid-test series really needs to ge taken out and shot.

Burney
09-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Least he did it against a red ball, B. Previous incumbent got the job because of some exceptional slogging against the white.

Whoever moved the CCC to the start and end of the season so there are no cabs revving on the ranks mid-test series really needs to ge taken out and shot.

The fact is that the obsession with winning the World Cup has had a deleterious effect on our test team.

Luis Anaconda
09-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Yep - with a fresh Starc coming into the side as well. Although he could just leak a lot of runs which would go against their ethos of keeping it tight so far this series. Would probably have them favourites but who knows :shrug:

PSRB
09-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Apparently confirmed that Denly is opening with Roy moving to 4........could work, I guess. One hell of a middle order, if the openers can hang around for a bit

Luis Anaconda
09-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Apparently confirmed that Denly is opening with Roy moving to 4........could work, I guess. One hell of a middle order, if the openers can hang around for a bit
Which day(s) are you going on?

PSRB
09-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Which day(s) are you going on?

Friday and Saturday, looks like I won't see much cricket on the Friday but at least that's the all expenses paid day :-)

Luis Anaconda
09-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Friday and Saturday, looks like I won't see much cricket on the Friday but at least that's the all expenses paid day :-)

Nice - was just looking at the forecast. Annoying as I have the office to myself on Friday so was hoping to just shut the door and turn the radio on

Ash
09-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Nice - was just looking at the forecast. Annoying as I have the office to myself on Friday so was hoping to just shut the door and turn the radio on

Do you know what the forecast is for Nottingham on Thursday ebening?

Luis Anaconda
09-02-2019, 02:02 PM

Amen, b, amen

Ash
09-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Amen, b, amen

So would, say, as 20 year-old with a FCC average of 32 be a possible candidate for consideration?

Burney
09-02-2019, 02:12 PM
So would, say, as 20 year-old with a FCC average of 32 be a possible candidate for consideration?

Almost anyone would be. And lest we forget, Marcus Trescothick was picked to open for England when his FCC average wasn't much better than that. He did OK.

Luis Anaconda
09-02-2019, 02:33 PM
Do you know what the forecast is for Nottingham on Thursday ebening?
Cloud but no rain from the looks of it. Should be a good game. That Morgan innings was incredible - well the whole thing is. Shame we couldn't finish it in a 100 balls :hide:

Ash
09-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Cloud but no rain from the looks of it. Should be a good game. That Morgan innings was incredible - well the whole thing is. Shame we couldn't finish it in a 100 balls :hide:

Bad day to be a bowler.