PDA

View Full Version : So today is my birthday and after work I shall dine at Hawksmoor. Two questions:

Rich
08-29-2019, 12:27 PM
1. Which cut/weight of meat should I feast on?
2. Good bars in the vicinity of Seven Dials that I could visit pre-dinner?

Sir C
08-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Check what's chalked on the boards. I'd be inclined to go for the Porterhouse. Minimum 350 grams, 500 for preference. You need the bone marrow on the side, naturally. A Shakey Pete's is a great cocktail to get you started.

As for bars... you know where Seven Dials is, do you? It's, like, Covent Garden, dude. There's a bar every 10 paces or so.

Luis Anaconda
08-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Happy birthday R.

1. A **** off big one
2. Always been a fan of the Two Brewers on Monmouth Street - can get a bit packed but proper old school pub. End of Endell Street, the Craft Beer Co has a rather fine selection if you want that sort of thing

Rich
08-29-2019, 12:34 PM
Check what's chalked on the boards. I'd be inclined to go for the Porterhouse. Minimum 350 grams, 500 for preference. You need the bone marrow on the side, naturally. A Shakey Pete's is a great cocktail to get you started.

As for bars... you know where Seven Dials is, do you? It's, like, Covent Garden, dude. There's a bar every 10 paces or so.

Appreciate the recommendations. There are bars and there a good bars. Was going to go to Radio Rooftop but went once and it was a bit ****.

Rich
08-29-2019, 12:36 PM
Happy birthday R.

1. A **** off big one
2. Always been a fan of the Two Brewers on Monmouth Street - can get a bit packed but proper old school pub. End of Endell Street, the Craft Beer Co has a rather fine selection if you want that sort of thing

Thank you. I’m with the fiancée so not sure what she’ll make of an old school boozer. Talking of them though, can I just make mention of Ye Olde Watling oh Watling St (on corner of Bow Lane).

Luis Anaconda
08-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Thank you. I’m with the fiancée so not sure what she’ll make of an old school boozer. Talking of them though, can I just make mention of Ye Olde Watling oh Watling St (on corner of Bow Lane).

You may - fine pub.

AFC East
08-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Check what's chalked on the boards. I'd be inclined to go for the Porterhouse. Minimum 350 grams, 500 for preference. .

I think you are working on pre-decimal Do you want the man to gnaw on a bone? 750g minimum, 1kg for preference. I assume he'll be sharing. A Porterhouse at 350g is a T-bone, no?

Sir C
08-29-2019, 01:04 PM
I think you are working on pre-decimal Do you want the man to gnaw on a bone? 750g minimum, 1kg for preference. I assume he'll be sharing. A Porterhouse at 350g is a T-bone, no?

Apologies, I was thinking in net terms.

Ash
08-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Dunno about bars, but I like pubs with a bit of atmosphere or character such as the Cross Keys on Endell Street, Lamb & Flag on Rose Street, and the Porterhouse on Maiden Lane which is huge but has lots of little snugs.

LA already mentioned the poncey craft beer place which might be more your kind of thing. :nod:

WES
08-29-2019, 01:14 PM

A man who knows steak would order the ribeye, grain fed beef, of course. None of this grass fed nonsense.

With chips, preferably truffled. And creamed spinach.

The perfect steak dinner.

Sir C
08-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Dunno about bars, but I like pubs with a bit of atmosphere or character such as the Cross Keys on Endell Street, Lamb & Flag on Rose Street, and the Porterhouse on Maiden Lane which is huge but has lots of little snugs.

LA already mentioned the poncey craft beer place which might be more your kind of thing. :nod:

The last time I was in The Porterhouse it took so long to get served I left in disgust.

Went back to my usual haunt, The Beaufort Bar at The Savoy. Served immediately.

Luis Anaconda
08-29-2019, 01:58 PM
The last time I was in The Porterhouse it took so long to get served I left in disgust.

Went back to my usual haunt, The Beaufort Bar at The Savoy. Served immediately.

Been in the Porterhouse many a time - not a fan but Rich might like it.

Luis Anaconda
08-29-2019, 02:00 PM

Actually i was thinking of the Cross Keys as well - magnificent fish and chip shop near by. Christ I miss having such a choice of pubs

Rich
08-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Been in the Porterhouse many a time - not a fan but Rich might like it.

Is that the one with about 12 different levels & a little like a maze? I think I watched a band there once who I believed were quite good.

Luis Anaconda
08-29-2019, 02:03 PM
Is that the one with about 12 different levels & a little like a maze? I think I watched a band there once who I believed were quite good.

Yeah - downstairs (right at the bottom) there is usually a band. It's OK - decent beer. Usually room outside as well, which helps if you are trying to meet people there

Ash
08-29-2019, 02:09 PM
Actually i was thinking of the Cross Keys as well - magnificent fish and chip shop near by. Christ I miss having such a choice of pubs

That chippy was on Portillo's Great Railway Journeys with the Bradshaw guide book. They claim to use a recipe handed down from the Victorian era.

Of course if Rich or Mrs Rich worked in the creative industries I would be able to recommend a members club in the vicinity which I'm sure he'd like.

AFC East
08-29-2019, 03:09 PM
Apologies, I was thinking in net terms.

I knew you'd have a healthy appetite Sir C :-)

Rich
08-29-2019, 03:26 PM
That chippy was on Portillo's Great Railway Journeys with the Bradshaw guide book. They claim to use a recipe handed down from the Victorian era.

Of course if Rich or Mrs Rich worked in the creative industries I would be able to recommend a members club in the vicinity which I'm sure he'd like.

Where might that be, then?

Ash
08-29-2019, 03:32 PM
Where might that be, then?

Close to Seven Dials.

Rich
08-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Close to Seven Dials.

What sort of creative arts might we may to take in there? Some interpretative dance, perhaps?

Ash
08-29-2019, 04:02 PM
What sort of creative arts might we may to take in there? Some interpretative dance, perhaps?

I'm afraid this doesn't parse, Rich. Circle round and reach out to us again when Mr Grammar is next at home. :thumbup:

Does Mrs Rich work in Marketing by any chance? Media? PR? Entertainment?

Rich
08-29-2019, 04:40 PM
I'm afraid this doesn't parse, Rich. Circle round and reach out to us again when Mr Grammar is next at home. :thumbup:

Does Mrs Rich work in Marketing by any chance? Media? PR? Entertainment?

Oh gosh. I don’t understand either. Anyway, off out now :wave:

John Bunnell
08-31-2019, 10:31 AM
Last 2 times I went Hawksmoor it was trash. Prefer Tramshed or MASH but MASH closed down and moving location.

taxman10
08-31-2019, 01:32 PM
Lemon tree is always emptyish. Marquis if you like old school albums played on vinyl. You can even request an album from their large collection.