PDA

View Full Version : There was this chap. A calm and dignified gentleman.

Sir C
08-27-2019, 08:37 AM
He was our greatest manager and the heart and soul of our club. He embodied the values to which we were supposed to admire. Honesty, integrity, decency, loyalty. Forebearance, perseverance, steadfastness.

We discarded him like a used tissue because we needed someone 'better' who would make sure we didn't get gubbed at Anfield.

Oh.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-27-2019, 08:40 AM
He was our greatest manager and the heart and soul of our club. He embodied the values to which we were supposed to admire. Honesty, integrity, decency, loyalty. Forebearance, perseverance, steadfastness.

We discarded him like a used tissue because we needed someone 'better' who would make sure we didn't get gubbed at Anfield.

Oh.

Oh do stop this pitiful pining and whining for the soppy old french tit you soppy old dutch tit.

Burney
08-27-2019, 08:55 AM

Oh.

I didn't even bother watching it, tbh. When I learned that we'd been gubbed, I realised to my surprise that I had no real feelings about it. I think any vestigial affection I have for Arsenal is finally leaving my system - helped on its way by a team and manager for whom I care not one jot.

Burney
08-27-2019, 08:58 AM

Oh.

I didn't even bother watching it, tbh. When I learned that we'd been gubbed, I realised to my surprise that I had no real feelings about it. I think any vestigial affection I have for Arsenal is finally leaving my system - helped on its way by a team and manager for whom I care not one jot.

IUFG
08-27-2019, 09:59 AM

Oh.

Good ebening...

not as badly gubbed as one might have worried. And there was a few positives to take from the performance. Pepe giving VVD plenty to worry about, for one.

PSRB
08-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Good ebening...

not as badly gubbed as one might have worried. And there was a few positives to take from the performance. Pepe giving VVD plenty to worry about, for one.

:nod: Could have been 2 up before they scored. Based on the pen they got, we should have had one as well when VvD pulled Pepe's shirt. Although playing without a midfield for 75 minutes was novel

Ash
08-27-2019, 10:38 AM

How is George Graham doing these days?

Sir C
08-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Nicely done, a.

Don't forget George';s shady shenanigans, mind.

IUFG
08-27-2019, 11:22 AM
Based on the pen they got, we should have had one as well when VvD pulled Pepe's shirt. Although playing without a midfield for 75 minutes was novel

bit of a 50:50 that one, I thought...

Ash
08-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Nicely done, a.

An error of judgement, is the technical term I believe. I'm sure we've all put our hands in the biscuit tin when it wasn't elevenses on the odd occasion.

Sir C
08-27-2019, 12:08 PM
An error of judgement, is the technical term I believe. I'm sure we've all put our hands in the biscuit tin when it wasn't elevenses on the odd occasion.

I have found some of the most remarkably untouched, unvisited and picture perfect scenery for walking in, all within 5 miles of my front door. A series of hidden valleys. I walked them obsessively over the weekend.

I would love to show them to you and mrs a one day.

Shocked. i'm still shocked.

Ash
08-27-2019, 12:18 PM
I have found some of the most remarkably untouched, unvisited and picture perfect scenery for walking in, all within 5 miles of my front door. A series of hidden valleys. I walked them obsessively over the weekend.

I would love to show them to you and mrs a one day.

Shocked. i'm still shocked.

Sounds good. Not Keston/Farnborough way by any chance? Some good spots on the Loop round there.

I spend the weekend jumping out of the way of bicycles on the Lea Valley walk. I must admit that if I were a cyclist, there would be no better place to to it than on a canal tow-path. No cars, no hills, no lights, and the only thing you have to worry about is scattering pedestrians so they don't slow you down.

IUFG
08-27-2019, 12:18 PM
I walked them obsessively over the weekend.

I spent the weekend removing a fireplace and making good...

:manly:
:manuallabour: :-(

#sweatinglikeabástard

Sir C
08-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Sounds good. Not Keston/Farnborough way by any chance? Some good spots on the Loop round there.

I spend the weekend jumping out of the way of bicycles on the Lea Valley walk. I must admit that if I were a cyclist, there would be no better place to to it than on a canal tow-path. No cars, no hills, no lights, and the only thing you have to worry about is scattering pedestrians so they don't slow you down.

No, it's the bit west of Shoreham (Kent, rather than -on-Sea) which, for some reason, I have never fully investigated. It was also, over a hot bank holiday weekend, entirely devoid of other people.

I had a similar experience with biycyles on the coast path between Whitstable and Herne Bay recently. The worst culprits seemed to be parents with young children, as yet unable to steer properly. The parents' concern is always 100% for the child, not the ankles and shins they are assaulting.

Did I mention that we're going to try the Northumberland coast in October? Just for a change. And some seafood. That's what Cumbria lacks, you know. Decent seafood restaurants.

Sir C
08-27-2019, 12:24 PM
I spent the weekend removing a fireplace and making good...

:manly:
:manuallabour: :-(

#sweatinglikeabástard

Did it look like a fireplace with a ripped out fanny at the end?

When you say, 'making good', do you mean apologising?

IUFG
08-27-2019, 12:26 PM
When you say, 'making good', do you mean apologising?

Plastering, that sort of thing.
It wasn't a bad effort, even if I say so myself.

Instead of a fireplace, there is now a fúcking great 65" OLED TV :cloud9:

barrybueno
08-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Nicely done, a.

:nono: The second worst thing Arsenal have ever done was the sacking of the Stroller. Wánkers for that imo

Pat Vegas
08-27-2019, 12:31 PM

Oh.

If he's so good how come he's not got another job?

Though he was good. and looking back at some of our squards in later years I have to say he got the most out of a **** bunch of players at times.

Sir C
08-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Plastering, that sort of thing.
It wasn't a bad effort, even if I say so myself.

Instead of a fireplace, there is now a fúcking great 65" OLED TV :cloud9:

Top tip: don't be tempted to use it to watch football.

Football is a depressing spectacle these days.

Pat Vegas
08-27-2019, 12:35 PM
Top tip: don't be tempted to use it to watch football.

Football is a depressing spectacle these days.

Welllll Sir C.
I thank Arsenal actually. You'd be amazed how much decorating I got done during the 2nd half of our match.

Ash
08-27-2019, 12:39 PM
No, it's the bit west of Shoreham (Kent, rather than -on-Sea) which, for some reason, I have never fully investigated. It was also, over a hot bank holiday weekend, entirely devoid of other people.

I had a similar experience with biycyles on the coast path between Whitstable and Herne Bay recently. The worst culprits seemed to be parents with young children, as yet unable to steer properly. The parents' concern is always 100% for the child, not the ankles and shins they are assaulting.

Did I mention that we're going to try the Northumberland coast in October? Just for a change. And some seafood. That's what Cumbria lacks, you know. Decent seafood restaurants.

South of Eynsford in the Darent Valley? Wooded hills up the the West? Beautiful spot. I used to drive around there when I was a yoot when I was supposed to be revising for A-Levels. :-| Haven't been back since, though, except for a walk in the valley last year, I think.
Scenes from the What Wants The World? video by The Stranglers were shot around there.

I'd like to try Northumberland one day too. Though not for the sea food. :wheeze:

bbrian
08-27-2019, 12:39 PM

Oh.

Discarded him? He died of pneumonia C

Sir C
08-27-2019, 12:59 PM
South of Eynsford in the Darent Valley? Wooded hills up the the West? Beautiful spot. I used to drive around there when I was a yoot when I was supposed to be revising for A-Levels. :-| Haven't been back since, though, except for a walk in the valley last year, I think.
Scenes from the What Wants The World? video by The Stranglers were shot around there.

I'd like to try Northumberland one day too. Though not for the sea food. :wheeze:

:nod: There is a line of valleys running north/south. Simply stunning in the sunshine.

Mrs c is keen on the coastal walking and reckons there are hills not far inland as well. We shall see.

Sir C
08-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Welllll Sir C.
I thank Arsenal actually. You'd be amazed how much decorating I got done during the 2nd half of our match.

I arrived home and considered switching it on. Checked twitter. 0-0. Looked at twitter again. 1-0. Didn't bother with the telly.

Burney
08-27-2019, 01:17 PM

You should do Hadrian's Wall. I've always fancied doing Hadrian's Wall.

Sir C
08-27-2019, 01:18 PM

The place we're lloking at is actually north of Hadrian's Wall. Imagine that! Definitely got to be worth a visit.

Ash
08-27-2019, 01:35 PM

A fine idea in theory, but the trouble with long point-to-point walks, even if you hire sherpas to take your luggage to the next cosy inn, is that if the weather is really, really sh1t you can't just give it a swerve and maybe try again tomorrow, as you're already booked at the next place. I'd like to do the coast-to-coast but for that.

PSRB
08-27-2019, 01:44 PM
A fine idea in theory, but the trouble with long point-to-point walks, even if you hire sherpas to take your luggage to the next cosy inn, is that if the weather is really, really sh1t you can't just give it a swerve and maybe try again tomorrow, as you're already booked at the next place. I'd like to do the coast-to-coast but for that.

I did the coast-to-coast (on a bike, obviously), was mostly enjoyable

Burney
08-27-2019, 01:48 PM
I did the coast-to-coast (on a bike, obviously), was mostly enjoyable

Luggage? Does one not simply live out of a rucksack?

And as we all know, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

Ash
08-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Luggage? Does one not simply live out of a rucksack?

And as we all know, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

Not when there are ladies in the party. They need more stuff, you know.

And I'll wager this keyboard mountaineer has never gone over Grey Knotts in torrential rain and five yard visibility and when safely down on Honnister Pass the road turns into a river etc etc.

And of course, warming up by the fire in the pub is a lot easier when there are some dry clothes to change into.

Burney
08-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Not when there are ladies in the party. They need more stuff, you know.

And I'll wager this keyboard mountaineer has never gone over Grey Knotts in torrential rain and five yard visibility and when safely down on Honnister Pass the road turns into a river etc etc.

And of course, warming up by the fire in the pub is a lot easier when there are some dry clothes to change into.

Meh. You put one foot in front of another. How hard can it be? :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
08-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Meh. You put one foot in front of another. How hard can it be? :shrug:

Have you watched Mustafi defend, b?

eastgermanautos
08-27-2019, 11:35 PM

This is your fundamental treachery coming into the open, I suspect. But you are a symptom of the larger problem: indifference to the Arsenal, and rejection of its claims to world supremacy.