PDA

View Full Version : Ben Stokes, what a player

PSRB
08-27-2019, 08:19 AM
although, lets be honest, how ****e were the umpires? 6 overturned decisions and a proper balls up on not giving Stokes out.

I did think the one error Stokes made was not taking the single to tie the scores just before that but hey, doesn't matter now :-)

Burney
08-27-2019, 08:25 AM
although, lets be honest, how ****e were the umpires? 6 overturned decisions and a proper balls up on not giving Stokes out.

I did think the one error Stokes made was not taking the single to tie the scores just before that but hey, doesn't matter now :-)

Oddly enough, I agree with the umpire and Stokes about that lbw. The ball tracking looked all wrong to me and seemed to just draw a straight line between the ball pitching and it making contact with the back pad, ignoring the fact that it clipped the front pad on the way through and clearly didn't spin enough to pitch on leg stump and go on to hit leg stump. It's made me slightly dubious about the technology tbh.

PSRB
08-27-2019, 08:34 AM
Oddly enough, I agree with the umpire and Stokes about that lbw. The ball tracking looked all wrong to me and seemed to just draw a straight line between the ball pitching and it making contact with the back pad, ignoring the fact that it clipped the front pad on the way through and clearly didn't spin enough to pitch on leg stump and go on to hit leg stump. It's made me slightly dubious about the technology tbh.

I did think in real time that it looked like it was sliding down leg

Burney
08-27-2019, 08:44 AM
I did think in real time that it looked like it was sliding down leg

:nod: I'm pretty sure it was.

And actually, Wilson had a decent umpiring game. Gaffaney made most of the errors.

PSRB
08-27-2019, 08:51 AM
All the more amusing as they wasted their last review on that dreadful LBW shout a couple of overs prior :hehe:

IUFG
08-27-2019, 12:19 PM

yes, apparently the cricket was rather good.
but then, good for, you know, cricket.
:cricket:

barrybueno
08-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Don't want to sound like miserable git but I seem to be the only one who thinks Stokes was really unprofessional in the way couldn't look near the end when Leach was batting. It was so fúcking good tho so I don't mind really :-)

PSRB
08-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Don't want to sound like miserable git but I seem to be the only one who thinks Stokes was really unprofessional in the way couldn't look near the end when Leach was batting. It was so fúcking good tho so I don't mind really :-)

I couldn't watch either, kept walking out the room when Leach was facing

Pat Vegas
08-27-2019, 12:32 PM

The Young lad we shipped off to Sunderland?

PSRB
08-27-2019, 12:34 PM
The Young lad we shipped off to Sunderland?

No, that's the slightly stalkery Anthony Stokes

Tony C
08-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Blaming Joel Wilson is just a shameless Aussie tactic to cover up butterfingers Lyon imo :nod:

Hopeless...that was a regulation play ground run out imo

PSRB
08-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Blaming Joel Wilson is just a shameless Aussie tactic to cover up butterfingers Lyon imo :nod:

It was an awful throw as well but yes, he should have still gathered the ball as had plenty of time

Burney
08-27-2019, 01:26 PM

It's ridicules what pressure can do. I once skippered a game where the oppo needed 2 off the last ball. They squirted it out to point, where the normally quite good fielder managed to turn what should have been a very risky single into two by simply being unable to pick the fúcking thing up. Honestly, you'd have thought he was trying to pick up a wet bar of soap.

Still winds me up. :-( I had to grit my teeth to console him and reassure him we didn't blame him although we absolutely did, the fumbling ****.

Luis Anaconda
08-27-2019, 01:33 PM
It was an awful throw as well but yes, he should have still gathered the ball as had plenty of time

Sort of thing that could end a player's career. Aussies extremely twitchy about that being brought up. Really can't take it - biggest whiners on Earth (well them and Spurs and Liverpool fans)

PSRB
08-27-2019, 01:36 PM
It's ridicules what pressure can do. I once skippered a game where the oppo needed 2 off the last ball. They squirted it out to point, where the normally quite good fielder managed to turn what should have been a very risky single into two by simply being unable to pick the fúcking thing up. Honestly, you'd have thought he was trying to pick up a wet bar of soap.

Still winds me up. :-( I had to grit my teeth to console him and reassure him we didn't blame him although we absolutely did, the fumbling ****.

:hehe: should hopefully demoralise Lyon and Cummins :-)

I was almost going to have to sell my OT tickets, now I can't wait

Burney
08-27-2019, 01:39 PM
Sort of thing that could end a player's career. Aussies extremely twitchy about that being brought up. Really can't take it - biggest whiners on Earth (well them and Spurs and Liverpool fans)

:nod: I've actually seen a couple of Aussies admit as much on social media over the last few days.

Luis Anaconda
08-27-2019, 01:54 PM
:nod: I've actually seen a couple of Aussies admit as much on social media over the last few days.

tbf there is some great and fair coverage in the Aussie media - and think most of them are embarrassed by the Australian piece (which I assume you saw)

Burney
08-27-2019, 02:01 PM
tbf there is some great and fair coverage in the Aussie media - and think most of them are embarrassed by the Australian piece (which I assume you saw)

:nod: Geoff Lemon seems a decent sort. I must admit I just laughed when I saw the first couple of sentences of The Australian piece and didn't bother reading further, assuming it to be a wind-up.

Luis Anaconda
08-27-2019, 02:33 PM
:nod: Geoff Lemon seems a decent sort. I must admit I just laughed when I saw the first couple of sentences of The Australian piece and didn't bother reading further, assuming it to be a wind-up.

I went straight to the comments - a real mix on "Good on you" and "You a prat"

Burney
08-27-2019, 02:39 PM
I went straight to the comments - a real mix on "Good on you" and "You a prat"

What did you think about the lbw, la? I'm far from convinced Wilson wasn't right to give it not out.

PSRB
08-27-2019, 02:42 PM
What did you think about the lbw, la? I'm far from convinced Wilson wasn't right to give it not out.

Simon Hughes (who I think is a bit of prat) is convinced that DRS was correct and did show the ball hitting the front pad

Luis Anaconda
08-27-2019, 02:43 PM

The ball-tracking after it hits the front pad doesn't ring true - it was going on. Leg stump at best, probably umpire's call

Burney
08-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Simon Hughes (who I think is a bit of prat) is convinced that DRS was correct and did show the ball hitting the front pad

It showed it hitting, but didn't seem to take account of the deflection, showing the ball travelling in a straight line from the pitch to where it hit Stokes' back leg without deviating at all. That's just not physically possible if it's hit the front pad first.

Burney
08-27-2019, 02:46 PM
The ball-tracking after it hits the front pad doesn't ring true - it was going on. Leg stump at best, probably umpire's call

:nod: My thoughts exactly.

Ash
08-27-2019, 03:12 PM

Hawkeye out! ?

What happened to hot spot, btw?

Burney
08-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Hawkeye out! ?

Didn't they find out it could be fooled by silicone bat tape and thus rendered meaningless?

PSRB
08-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Hawkeye out! ?

Ultra edge these day, innit. Think it was felt that hot spot was a bit ****

Ash
08-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Ultra edge these day, innit. Think it was felt that hot spot was a bit ****

Snicko by another name.

It's just a audio recording. If I was the 'keeper I'd perfect an impersonation of an edge to help move things along a bit when the danger man's in.

Burney
08-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Snicko by another name.

It's just a audio recording. If I was the 'keeper I'd perfect an impersonation of an edge to help move things along a bit when the danger man's in.

Or buy a small recording device that can replay the sound of an actual snick? The timing would be the tricky bit.

This is a step beyond sandpaper when it comes to cheating imo.

Ash
08-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Or buy a small recording device that can replay the sound of an actual snick? The timing would be the tricky bit.

This is a step beyond sandpaper when it comes to cheating imo.

Is it up there with jelly beans, though? Having such a device about one's person might give the game away a bit, and a click of the tongue is easier to cue and control than an audio recording. Batsmen could try saving themselves an LBW too by faking a bat-pad.

Burney
08-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Is it up there with jelly beans, though? Having such a device about one's person might give the game away a bit, and a click of the tongue is easier to cue and control than an audio recording. Batsmen could try saving themselves an LBW too by faking a bat-pad.

I love the idea of everyone clicking away furiously. :hehe:

Ash
08-27-2019, 04:30 PM
I love the idea of everyone clicking away furiously. :hehe:

There was the mysterious instance in, I think, the Australian first innings when a disembodied spike appeared on Snicko at the same time as nothing else seemed to be in contact, and wafted to the centre of the window just as the ball passed the bat. TV Ump said out. Batsmen very unhappy. :sherlock:

PSRB
08-28-2019, 08:24 AM
There was the mysterious instance in, I think, the Australian first innings when a disembodied spike appeared on Snicko at the same time as nothing else seemed to be in contact, and wafted to the centre of the window just as the ball passed the bat. TV Ump said out. Batsmen very unhappy. :sherlock:

Tim Paine wasn't it? He seems like a prick, so fair do's, imo