PDA

View Full Version : Beginning to like this manager.......

PSRB
08-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Unai Emery is making it very clear, both privately and publicly, that Shkodran Mustafi & Mohamed Elneny have no future at #AFC.

“They know the situation. I think it’s positive for them to leave and to sign for another team where they can be protagonists, they can be happy.”

Sir C
08-23-2019, 08:48 AM
Unai Emery is making it very clear, both privately and publicly, that Shkodran Mustafi & Mohamed Elneny have no future at #AFC.

“They know the situation. I think it’s positive for them to leave and to sign for another team where they can be protagonists, they can be happy.”

Why would he say such a thing publicly, p? :-(

Iamgine Arsene being so cruel. You're right, it would never have happened.

PSRB
08-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Why would he say such a thing publicly, p? :-(

Iamgine Arsene being so cruel. You're right, it would never have happened.

He just wants them to be happy. What a nice man

Ash
08-23-2019, 08:58 AM
He just wants them to be happy. What a nice man

He also thinks they can be protagonists. That's how important they could be for their new clubs. Happy protagonists. What more could they want?

Luis Anaconda
08-23-2019, 09:07 AM
He also thinks they can be protagonists. That's how important they could be for their new clubs. Happy protagonists. What more could they want?
I can see it now - "The protagonist in the tale of Roma's defensive woes was Mustafi"

Just Trent
08-23-2019, 09:57 AM

Some of his tactics are quite concerning though. Like playing out from the back on goalkicks. Even though the players aren’t very good at it*, and it mainly results in chances for the opposition. Bad enough against Burnley last week. Trying it against Liverpool’s front three would be just plain daft. I did notice Unai abandoned the tactic toward the end of the Burnley game, (after seeing it breakdown three times in 5 mins). Let’s hope he continues to see sense at Anfield.

* It might work better with a lot more practice, and with Bellerin and Tierney in the defence.

Ash
08-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Some of his tactics are quite concerning though. Like playing out from the back on goalkicks. Even though the players aren’t very good at it*, and it mainly results in chances for the opposition. Bad enough against Burnley last week. Trying it against Liverpool’s front three would be just plain daft. I did notice Unai abandoned the tactic toward the end of the Burnley game, (after seeing it breakdown three times in 5 mins). Let’s hope he continues to see sense at Anfield.

The relief around the ground when we finally just hoofed it was, as they say, palpable.

PSRB
08-23-2019, 10:04 AM

* It might work better with a lot more practice, and with Bellerin and Tierney in the defence.

In fairness, everyone is doing it......I still don't really get why

Sir C
08-23-2019, 10:12 AM

I've looked at a few games already this season where I'm not really sure what I'm watching. It's like an entirely new game has developed. A shít new game.

A 12 pass move inside your own penalty area. Why? Just... why?

Monty92
08-23-2019, 10:13 AM
To draw out the opposition from their formation and shape, thicko 🙄

PSRB
08-23-2019, 10:14 AM
To draw out the opposition from their base formation, thicko 🙄

Yes, and just about everyone has conceded whilst doing it

Just Trent
08-23-2019, 10:15 AM

I suppose it’s meant to draw the opposition further forward, beat their press and open up a spare man in midfield for us?
Great in theory. Terrible in practice if your passing and movement is as slow as ours. Again, maybe look at it later in the season with a settled Luiz and Bellerin+Tierney at fullback. But, forget it at anfield.

PSRB
08-23-2019, 10:20 AM
I've looked at a few games already this season where I'm not really sure what I'm watching. It's like an entirely new game has developed. A shít new game.

A 12 pass move inside your own penalty area. Why? Just... why?

To Monty's (succinctly put) point, I do get why but not sure the possible benefit outweighs the cost :shrug:

Sir C
08-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Ah, there you are Bignose. Will the butcher at Macknade have a whole pork belly tomorrow morning?

Sir C
08-23-2019, 10:22 AM
To Monty's (succinctly put) point, I do get why but not sure the possible benefit outweighs the cost :shrug:

Don't believe anything Bignose tells you, p.

They lie as a matter of course. They can't help themselves.

Monty92
08-23-2019, 10:25 AM
I’ll be in there at about 4pm, I can ask if you like?

Or you could call them yourself.

Ah, there you are Bignose. Will the butcher at Macknade have a whole pork belly tomorrow morning?

Monty92
08-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Yes, and just about everyone has conceded whilst doing it

Oh no! Something that generally works very occasionally goes wrong 🙄

Luis Anaconda
08-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Don't believe anything Bignose tells you, p.

They lie as a matter of course. They can't help themselves.

Ah - Mr Corbyn, there you are

Sir C
08-23-2019, 10:28 AM
I’ll be in there at about 4pm, I can ask if you like?

Or you could call them yourself.

Or you could call them for me.

But no. You're just selfish, aren't you?

IUFG
08-23-2019, 10:36 AM

ah, but we have a new weapon in the Luiz Hail-Mary to Aubameyang 60 yarder.

WES
08-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Hmmm - but surely that is merely a means to an end.

I would have thought the important metric would be a comparison of the % of time the team taking a goal kick retain possession when it is lumped down the pitch v the % of time the team playing out from the back retain possession until they cross midfield (or something like that).

I'd think even that even teams that aren't that good at it would still find it worked in their favour.

WES
08-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Hmmm - but surely that is merely a means to an end.

I would have thought the important metric would be a comparison of the % of time the team taking a goal kick retain possession when it is lumped down the pitch v the % of time the team playing out from the back retain possession until they cross midfield (or something like that).

I'd think even that even teams that aren't that good at it would still find it worked in their favour.

Mind you, you'd have to factor in how often playing out from the back resulted in giving the ball away in a terrible position. :rubchin:

IUFG
08-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Mind you, you'd have to factor in how often playing out from the back resulted in giving the ball away in a terrible position. :rubchin:

Post reported to Petr Cech

Pat Vegas
08-23-2019, 10:40 AM

I don't like the new rule where our defenders can go in the box.
it actually draws more pressure on us.

we can't be doing this against liverpool. However David Luiz is gonna hit long balls to Pepe and Aubameyang and will leave victorius. then I woke up.

Pat Vegas
08-23-2019, 10:42 AM

How did we used to get the ball to our midfield?

can't we do it that way again.

barrybueno
08-23-2019, 10:52 AM

If you keep the ball you're 80 yards from their goal, if you lose it they're 20 yards from yours, it's awesome :hehe:

Actually there's no harm in trying it, there's also no shame in admitting you can't play your way out every time so just hoof it. Even for a throw in sometimes.

WES
08-23-2019, 10:54 AM

A = % of time we retain possession after goal kick
B = % of time we generate a chance from possession around midfield
C = % of time opposition generate a chance from possession around midfield
D = % of time playing out from back results in possession around midfield for us
E = % of time playing out from back results in conceding possession in a dangerous position
F = % of time conceding possession in a dangerous position results in a chance for the opposition
G = % of time a chance is converted*

If A*B*G - (1 -A)*C*G < (D*B*G - (1-D-E)*C*G - E*F*G) then you should play out from the back

*assuming this is the same for both teams, can't be bothered not making this assumption :-)

barrybueno
08-23-2019, 11:02 AM

Keeper hoofs it 60 yards, oppo defender/midfielder heads it straight back to Arsenal player. Genius George Graham :cloud9:

Viva Prat Vegas
08-23-2019, 11:15 AM
At least we haven't conceded any calamitous goals from the fashionable tactic like wot Liverpool have done *

Might have but can't remember