PDA

View Full Version : So what do we reckon is going to happen in Hong Kong?

Burney
08-13-2019, 10:55 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Chinks will actually go full Tiananmen - they're a bit more publicity conscious than they used to be - also, HK is worth too much money to them to simply turn it into a slaughterhouse.

However, I think they want the protesters to think they will.

Sir C
08-13-2019, 11:00 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Chinks will actually go full Tiananmen - they're a bit more publicity conscious than they used to be - also, HK is worth too much money to them to simply turn it into a slaughterhouse.

As you say, the chinee can't afford to mess with HK too harshly for financial reasons if nothing else, but on the other hand they can't afford to be seen to give in to protestors' demands, that could open the door to a billion fúcking rioters.

Rock and a hard place, innit.

My guess is that it won't end well.

Have you read the British embassy reports from Tianenman Square? :-(

Pat Vegas
08-13-2019, 11:02 AM
As you say, the chinee can't afford to mess with HK too harshly for financial reasons if nothing else, but on the other hand they can't afford to be seen to give in to protestors' demands, that could open the door to a billion fúcking rioters.

This thread is making me want to get a Chinese takeaway :-(

IUFG
08-13-2019, 11:02 AM

should we, ahem, give a fúck?

IUFG
08-13-2019, 11:03 AM
This thread is making me want to get a Chinese takeaway :-(

Singapore noodles, cripsy duck, Szechaun chicken, beef in black bean sauce, king prawn and cashew nuts.... :cloud9:

or

127, 17, 83, 32 ,97

Pat Vegas
08-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Singapore noodles, cripsy duck, Szechaun chicken, beef in black bean sauce, king prawn and cashew nuts.... :cloud9:

or

127, 17, 83, 32 ,97

Sounds good to me. Chinese food seems to be one of the few cuisines left in the UK where they actually have salt in it.

Luis Anaconda
08-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Definitely no Tiananmen for the reasons you say but the Chinese are, well, inscrutable so very hard to say what they will do. I can't imagine they'll allow the airport to be out of action for long

Sir C
08-13-2019, 11:06 AM

or

127, 17, 83, 32 ,97

Spare ribs in brown gloop. Pork balls in fluorescent pink gloop. Special chow mein. Sesame prawn toast on the side.

IUFG
08-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Sounds good to me. Chinese food seems to be one of the few cuisines left in the UK where they actually have salt in it.

ah, the much maligned monosodium glutamate :umami: :cloud9:

Burney
08-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Yes. 'Pie' :-(

Burney
08-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Definitely no Tiananmen for the reasons you say but the Chinese are, well, inscrutable so very hard to say what they will do. I can't imagine they'll allow the airport to be out of action for long

No. It seems likely to get nasty in some way fairly soon.

Luis Anaconda
08-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Yes. 'Pie' :-(

ugh - just looked that up

Burney
08-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Spare ribs in brown gloop. Pork balls in fluorescent pink gloop. Special chow mein. Sesame prawn toast on the side.

Crispy squid with orange gloop also.

And Singapore Noodles > Chow Mein

IUFG
08-13-2019, 11:12 AM
And Singapore Noodles > Chow Mein

word, b :thumbup:

Burney
08-13-2019, 11:12 AM
ugh - just looked that up

If you ever need someone to make you glad you grew up in the West, I find a brief glance at the Chinese and their somewhat casual attitude to basic fúcking humanity will generally do it.

IUFG
08-13-2019, 11:15 AM
If you ever need someone to make you glad you grew up in the West, I find a brief glance at the Chinese and their somewhat casual attitude to basic fúcking humanity will generally do it.

well, agreed, but I can't manufacture a knock-off ipad for under a tenner.

so, swings and roundabouts...

Burney
08-13-2019, 11:15 AM
word, b :thumbup:

I have an HR issue. An employee who has recently come under my managerial umbrella (ella, ella, ella) has revealed himself to be a Warhammer fan. He keeps receiving Amazon parcels full of Space Orcs or whatever and has even put up a notice in the kitchen asking for fellow deviants to contact him so that they can play at lunchtimes.

So my question is this: Are these sufficient grounds for dismissal?

IUFG
08-13-2019, 11:19 AM
I have an HR issue. An employee who has recently come under my managerial umbrella (ella, ella, ella) has revealed himself to be a Warhammer fan. He keeps receiving Amazon parcels full of Space Orcs or whatever and has even put up a notice in the kitchen asking for fellow deviants to contact him so that they can play at lunchtimes.

absolutely. nobody wants a fúcking weirdo amongst their staff.

https://i.etsystatic.com/15052134/r/il/b10a3a/1983170671/il_794xN.1983170671_q4qq.jpg

Luis Anaconda
08-13-2019, 11:21 AM

https://i.etsystatic.com/15052134/r/il/b10a3a/1983170671/il_794xN.1983170671_q4qq.jpg

Is the business card of the Geordie Thor?

Tony C
08-13-2019, 11:22 AM
That video from the train station (bottom of the below article)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-49330848

Point blank shots with rubber bullets! :clap:

Yeah that’s going to sting bro...

-

Shame...I have a work trip there next month but looks like I will have to cancel it. Was finally going to pick up a Rolex...a bit cheesy but I was going for the Mickey Mouse Datejust.

Doubt this is ending anytime soon...China pretty much stuck and those kids will just keep on protesting.

Burney
08-13-2019, 11:23 AM

Excellent. I shall take your advice as gospel and proceed accordingly. I assume there will be no legal issues?

IUFG
08-13-2019, 11:25 AM
I assume there will be no legal issues?

probably none at all.

Although I must warn you that I cannot be held responsible for any rash or reckless actions you may take with this advice.

Just Trent
08-13-2019, 11:28 AM

:nod: If he’s allowed to recruit more followers things could really get out of hand. They’ll be setting up ‘figure painting sessions’ during lunch. You won’t be able to move for pots of paint, glue and little plastic weapons. If they really establish themselves, they’ll start building model scenery with lumps of polystyrene and modelling clay. Then using your desk as a gaming table.

Get rid of him ASAP.

Burney
08-13-2019, 11:28 AM
probably none at all.

Although I must warn you that I cannot be held responsible for any rash or reckless actions you may take with this advice.

I haven't got my reading glasses on me, but must assume you've given me carte blanche. :thumbup:

7sisters
08-14-2019, 01:13 PM

Some FBPE tosspot reckoned we should give them all UK passports, earlier on Twitter.
That’d be around 7 million of them, in the event of a full evacuation.
Gerard Street might get a bit over crowded.

Burney
08-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Some FBPE tosspot reckoned we should give them all UK passports, earlier on Twitter.
That’d be around 7 million of them, in the event of a full evacuation.
Gerard Street might get a bit over crowded.

I'd rather give them passports than most of the people we've already given passports. :shrug:

7sisters
08-14-2019, 01:23 PM
I'd rather give them passports than most of the people we've already given passports. :shrug:

Fair point

Luis Anaconda
08-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Not sure what the agreement was but surely anyone born pre-97 must at least have some priority in any case

Ash
08-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Surely only an open borders fanatic could imagine that this country could cope with a sudden influx of 7 million people.

Mind you, open border fanaticism is highly fashionable these days.

eastgermanautos
08-14-2019, 04:16 PM

The thing is though, man. There's a lot of fvcking Chinese. Anything you do, it's multiplied by 100. 10k is really like 100 deaths to us. 100 deaths is still a lot but just sayin'