PDA

View Full Version : A dreary old game. Frustrating not to have seen more of the new bods.

Burney
08-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Defence looked oddly sound, but Newcastle didn't offer much threat - apart from the French Tony Daley they appear to have signed.

Until Pepe does something good, I will continue to assume that he's the new Gervinho.

IUFG
08-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Defence looked oddly sound, but Newcastle didn't offer much threat - apart from the French Tony Daley they appear to have signed.

Until Pepe does something good, I will continue to assume that he's the new Gervinho.

A dreary, sterile away match; grinding out a one-nil to The Arsenal.

We've got our Arsenal back :cloud9:

Burney
08-12-2019, 08:24 AM
A dreary, sterile away match; grinding out a one-nil to The Arsenal.

We've got our Arsenal back :cloud9:

The Arsenal of 1994? :-(

Ash
08-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Just rejoice!

IUFG
08-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Stefan Schwarz :cloud9:

Burney
08-12-2019, 09:00 AM

:nod: Man of the Tournament in the 1994 Makita Tournament

He peaked too early. :-(

Burney
08-12-2019, 09:02 AM
Just rejoice!

That we beat a team who will be in a relegation fight this year one-nil?

I think rejoicing may be a touch overdoing it. Can I just say it's a better start than last year and leave it at that?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Can I just say it's a better start than last year and leave it at that?

I'd say where you're concerned b that counts as ruddy faced enthusiasm

Luis Anaconda
08-12-2019, 09:16 AM

I think rejoicing may be a touch overdoing it. Can I just say it's a better start than last year and leave it at that?

Would say that only Leno, Sokratis, Aubameyang and possibly Xhaka are guaranteed starters when everyone is up to speed/fit :hehe: if ever that happens

Ash
08-12-2019, 09:17 AM

We've already equalled the number of clean sheets away from home we managed all last year. :cloud9:

Burney
08-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Would say that only Leno, Sokratis, Aubameyang and possibly Xhaka are guaranteed starters when everyone is up to speed/fit :hehe: if ever that happens

That's a fair point. I will say I rather liked the look of young Willock, though.

Burney
08-12-2019, 09:22 AM
We've already equalled the number of clean sheets away from home we managed all last year. :cloud9:

We've won the Intra-Club First Game Away Clean Sheet Trophy!? :trophy:

Luis Anaconda
08-12-2019, 09:29 AM
That's a fair point. I will say I rather liked the look of young Willock, though.

Yep - looks very promising. Should get a fair few games this season which is good for a 19year old

Viva Prat Vegas
08-12-2019, 09:42 AM
:nod: Absolutely
Really hoping to see both Willock, Nelson and maybe even Saka given some learning experience game time this season
Good timez

I like the notion that we were without half a dozen odd potential first teamers and also that none of the new signings started
Squad almighty!

IUFG
08-12-2019, 09:48 AM
.. and possibly Xhaka

shame, really. He certainly hasn't lived up to the level he (allegedly) performed at in Germany.

Tony C
08-12-2019, 09:55 AM
The 2nd team

Martinez

Bellend
Holding
Tiereny
Kolasinac

Luiz
Torreira

Pepe
Ozil
Saka / Fartinelli

Lacazette

7sisters
08-12-2019, 09:59 AM

He was known as Willock the pillock, in the youths.

I may have made that bit up.

Burney
08-12-2019, 09:59 AM
The 2nd team

Martinez

Bellend
Holding
Tiereny
Kolasinac

Luiz
Torreira

Pepe
Ozil
Saka / Fartinelli

Lacazette

Poor old Kolasinac and Ozil are under threat of death from the Seven Sisters Massive, though. We'll need to hire top, top quality bodyguards for them. Possibly Jason Statham.

Sir C
08-12-2019, 10:05 AM

Cheerful stuff: Maitland-Niles, Chambers, Aubamayang

Worrying stuff: The absolute, utter lack of creativity in that team. Are we relying on Ozil (lols) and Ceballos for a bit of flair?

Suicide watch stuff: Mkhytarian. Jesus H Christ.

IUFG
08-12-2019, 10:06 AM

He was fúcking dogdirt, tbh

Sir C
08-12-2019, 10:09 AM
He was fúcking dogdirt, tbh

I'll defend any Arsenal player with logic and loyalty, i. I'll point out that any professional footballer who gets to play in the top division in England is, by definition, a fine player. I'll remind you that anyone can have a poor day, or a poor run of form. I'll explain that sometimes the team's tactics may not suit an individual player. I'll eben mention the quality of his teammates and how that might detract from his performance.

But Mkhytarian. Jesus. H. Christ.

Burney
08-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Cheerful stuff: Maitland-Niles, Chambers, Aubamayang

Worrying stuff: The absolute, utter lack of creativity in that team. Are we relying on Ozil (lols) and Ceballos for a bit of flair?

Agreed. I actually feel a bit sorry for Mkhytarian - the man's confidence appears to be shot.

Guendouzi I find frustrating. He does some good tidying up stuff, but then immediately looks for a pass backwards or sideways rather than trying to create anything. Xhaka is Xhaka. Torreira is never going to be creative and - as you say - Ozil is a passenger. I've no idea what Ceballos (does that mean 'Onions', btw?) is going to do, since what he mostly did yesterday was fúck up simple passes.

IUFG
08-12-2019, 10:15 AM
I've no idea what Ceballos (does that mean 'Onions', btw?) is going to do, since what he mostly did yesterday was fúck up simple passes.

him and Mkhytarian will be interchangeable :nod:

Burney
08-12-2019, 10:20 AM
him and Mkhytarian will be interchangeable :nod:

:nod: He's a dislike-for-dislike replacement.

Sir C
08-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Agreed. I actually feel a bit sorry for Mkhytarian - the man's confidence appears to be shot.

Guendouzi I find frustrating. He does some good tidying up stuff, but then immediately looks for a pass backwards or sideways rather than trying to create anything. Xhaka is Xhaka. Torreira is never going to be creative and - as you say - Ozil is a passenger. I've no idea what Ceballos (does that mean 'Onions', btw?) is going to do, since what he mostly did yesterday was fúck up simple passes.

From what I understand of Cellabos, he's able to run with the ball and can pick a pass, so I guess we'll have to see.

There was a character in a Leslie Thomas novel called Lance Onions. That's always struck me as a fine name.

Tony C
08-12-2019, 10:27 AM
You can tell why the club cashed in on Iwobi now.

Reece, Willock, Fartinelli, Ceballos, Saka, Pepe, Mickey, Ozil all covering his positions. Although not over wild about the last two...

Willock will be a £100m midfielder by the end of this season imo #fact

Burney
08-12-2019, 10:29 AM
From what I understand of Cellabos, he's able to run with the ball and can pick a pass, so I guess we'll have to see.

There was a character in a Leslie Thomas novel called Lance Onions. That's always struck me as a fine name.

Yes. I haven't passed judgement on Danny Onions...yet.

There is a former England bowler called Graham Onions. He was good, but was held back by injury. Strong name, though.

IUFG
08-12-2019, 10:31 AM
You can tell why the club cashed in on Iwobi now.

£35m :rubshands:

Burney
08-12-2019, 10:35 AM
£35m :rubshands:

I still can't believe that someone watched Iwobi play last season and thought 'Yes, that's our new £35m player'.

Ash
08-12-2019, 10:38 AM
There is a former England bowler called Graham Onions. He was good, but was held back by injury. Strong name, though.

A contemporary with players called Lettuce and Mustard ISTR. Two of them at Durham?

LA in 5...4...3....

Burney
08-12-2019, 10:41 AM
A contemporary with players called Lettuce and Mustard ISTR. Two of them at Durham?

LA in 5...4...3....

Clive Rice? Allan Lamb? Any others?

Luis Anaconda
08-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Yes. I haven't passed judgement on Danny Onions...yet.

It doesn't mean onions by the way

Luis Anaconda
08-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Clive Rice? Allan Lamb? Any others?

Should have played rugby really - they could have featured in the Curry Cup

Luis Anaconda
08-12-2019, 11:11 AM

LA in 5...4...3....

Onions and Mustard were frequently together in Durham team, yes. Probably shouldn't leave out Beefy Botham

Burney
08-12-2019, 11:11 AM
It doesn't mean onions by the way

Close enough imo.

Burney
08-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Should have played rugby really - they could have featured in the Curry Cup

South Africa have the Currie Cup. Or did.

WES
08-12-2019, 11:15 AM
I'll defend any Arsenal player with logic and loyalty, i. I'll point out that any professional footballer who gets to play in the top division in England is, by definition, a fine player. I'll remind you that anyone can have a poor day, or a poor run of form. I'll explain that sometimes the team's tactics may not suit an individual player. I'll eben mention the quality of his teammates and how that might detract from his performance.

But Mkhytarian. Jesus. H. Christ.

Funny, Smudger was complimentary about his play and the man in the Times rated him and Boomerang our best players. I thought he was Mikki, sloppy at times but creative and skilful at times. As an example, his ball to Boomerang for the chance before the goal was sublime, ball of the match (not that it had a lot of competition).

Maravilloso Marvo
08-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Ceballos (does that mean 'Onions', btw?)

Onions are cebollas, not ceballos.

Ash
08-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Onions are cebollas, not ceballos.

Pfft, stick that up yer cebollix.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Can someone please explain the point of Xhaka to me? When we signed him we needed aDM to replace Coq. Xhaka couldn't really play with Santi. He can pass but doesn't have the genius to play no.10 or the box-to-box fight and defensive awareness to play deeper.

Santi could play both.

When Hector's back, I'd like to try AMN and Torreira, with Ozil in front.

I hope I'm not jinxing it but AMN's season and a half playing FB/WB has added some skills - step-overs, crossing etc - that might help to make him a more complete midfielder.

IUFG
08-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Can someone please explain the point of Xhaka to me?

OI! Join the fúcking queue, gg

Ash
08-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Someone has to wear the armband. :shrug:

Sir C
08-12-2019, 01:28 PM

Nah. Xhaka's going to be our Xabi Alonso, i.

And every team needs a Xabi Alonso.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Sorry. I'd been too busy moaning about Mustafi playing, Ozil benched and Rambo being let go. I'd also assumed that if Xhaka was all right, then Torreira would be the missing link.

But I've now paid a bit more attention and worry that he's a bit shît.

Seriously, when Hector's back, I'd like to see AMN given a go with LT and/or the young Willock lad if he keeps it up.

I think AMN is more switched on than GX, and while he may have less Hollywood passes in him, his drive, tackling, and new skills learned about wide re: crossing more than make up for it.

IUFG
08-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Nah. Xhaka's going to be our Xabi Alonso, i.

And every team needs a Xabi Alonso.

Alonso appeared to know what his role in the team was...

Burney
08-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Alonso appeared to know what his role in the team was...

He had a lovely smile, too.

Sir C
08-12-2019, 01:53 PM
He had a lovely smile, too.

Granit has a lovely smile. And Alonsoesque hair. :judge:

I believe my case is proven.

Burney
08-12-2019, 02:04 PM

No. His smile has no warmth.

Luis Anaconda
08-12-2019, 02:18 PM

And had greatly improved his discipline - 81 minutes without a yellow yesterday :)

IUFG
08-12-2019, 02:23 PM

I've just thought...

...that's a quarter of a century ago.

Ah well, we'll all be dead soon :cry:

eastgermanautos
08-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Sorry. I'd been too busy moaning about Mustafi playing, Ozil benched and Rambo being let go. I'd also assumed that if Xhaka was all right, then Torreira would be the missing link.

But I've now paid a bit more attention and worry that he's a bit shît.

Seriously, when Hector's back, I'd like to see AMN given a go with LT and/or the young Willock lad if he keeps it up.

I think AMN is more switched on than GX, and while he may have less Hollywood passes in him, his drive, tackling, and new skills learned about wide re: crossing more than make up for it.

You people are full of crap. Xhaka is for the rainy away game at Stoke, or, indeed, Newcastle. Pretty simple. He'll fvck the other guys up.

IUFG
08-12-2019, 03:42 PM
You people are full of crap. Xhaka is for the rainy away game at Stoke, or, indeed, Newcastle. Pretty simple. He'll fvck the other guys up.

Pssst! Stoke got relegated.

Talking of Stoke, was the injury to Shawcross a really bad one? please say yes :cloud9:

Ash
08-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Funny way of spelling "Soft red card away at Swansea*".

* I think it was Swansea.

eastgermanautos
08-12-2019, 05:10 PM

Yes, he'll give you a few red cards. But at least he'll keep the throwbacks honest. And yes, I know Stoke got relegated. But their style of football still remains.

Luis Anaconda
08-13-2019, 08:11 AM

:nono: Both red cards he has had have been at home (Swansea was indeed one, Burnley the other). Jon Moss was the ref on both occasions

IUFG
08-13-2019, 08:13 AM
:nono: Both red cards he has had have been at home (Swansea was indeed one, Burnley the other). Jon Moss was the ref on both occasions

and one was a trip from behind that 99 times out of 100 would be a :yellowcard:

Luis Anaconda
08-13-2019, 08:14 AM
and one was a trip from behind that 99 times out of 100 would be a :yellowcard:

Yeah - not much doubt about the other one but the Swansea one was harsh

Tony C
08-13-2019, 09:25 AM
https://gfycat.com/simplisticsplendidarctichare

Unai’s reaction to Willock’s recovery tackle :clap: