PDA

View Full Version : The 74th anniversary of Hiroshima yesterday reminded me of two things:

Burney
08-07-2019, 09:20 AM
One was the fact that it'll be the 75th anniversary next year and we'll presumably have to put up with a load of solemn hand-wringing by lefties mourning all the crispy Nips and acting like the US was the bad guy. :yawn:

The other was the time that Jorge tried to make out it was an act of genocide (thus revealing that he didn't know what 'genocide' meant) and refused to back down even when confronted with the dictionary definition of the word. :hehe:

Sir C
08-07-2019, 09:28 AM
One was the fact that it'll be the 75th anniversary next year and we'll presumably have to put up with a load of solemn hand-wringing by lefties mourning all the crispy Nips and acting like the US was the bad guy. :yawn:

The other was the time that Jorge tried to make out it was an act of genocide (thus revealing that he didn't know what 'genocide' meant) and refused to back down even when confronted with the dictionary definition of the word. :hehe:

I think we need to remember the real victims here. The crew of Enola Gay had to sit in that B-29 for 12 hours with four Pratt & Whitney radials churning away. It must have been dreadfully noisy and uncomfortable. :-(

Pokster
08-07-2019, 09:33 AM
I think we need to remember the real victims here. The crew of Enola Gay had to sit in that B-29 for 12 hours with four Pratt & Whitney radials churning away. It must have been dreadfully noisy and uncomfortable. :-(

:music: Enola Gay...top tuneage :music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47D7TUIJuzM

Burney
08-07-2019, 09:41 AM

:nod: And not to forget poor Quint and his shipmates on the USS Indianapolis who all got ate up by sharks coming back from delivering it. :-(

bbrian
08-07-2019, 09:55 AM
:nod: And not to forget poor Quint and his shipmates on the USS Indianapolis who all got ate up by sharks coming back from delivering it. :-(

Top movieage

Burney
08-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Top movieage

I did watch a movie about the USS Indianapolis itself. It was actually a bit boring. Once you've seen a couple of people eaten by sharks while bobbing about in the water, it gets a bit samey.

Tony C
08-07-2019, 10:08 AM
To be fair...when you’re a John Rambo wannabe all concept of genocide goes out the window.

It’s the Viet Cong we have to blame for Jorge being who he is...and that dam Marshall who arrested him.

Burney
08-07-2019, 10:26 AM
To be fair...when you’re a John Rambo wannabe all concept of genocide goes out the window.

It’s the Viet Cong we have to blame for Jorge being who he is...and that dam Marshall who arrested him.

And Colonel Trautman. Remember "God didn't make Jorge! I made him!"

eastgermanautos
08-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Nobody really disputes that the Nips deserved it. Problem is we did not continue with this effort. Definitely needed to lob a nuke at North Korea, Vietnam, Cuba...

Burney
08-07-2019, 10:37 AM
Nobody really disputes that the Nips deserved it. Problem is we did not continue with this effort. Definitely needed to lob a nuke at North Korea, Vietnam, Cuba...

:nod: The problem with you Yanqui is that you've never really had the requisite ruthlessness for proper world domination.

eastgermanautos
08-07-2019, 10:41 AM
:nod: The problem with you Yanqui is that you've never really had the requisite ruthlessness for proper world domination.

It's true :-(

Burney
08-07-2019, 10:45 AM
It's true :-(

I mean you started well with the whole wiping out the injuns thing, but just seemed to lose your taste for it after that. Teddy Roosevelt gave it a go in Cuba and the Philippines and you used to give the Mexicans a good slap from time to time, but you haven't even done any of that lately. Very disappointing.

Ash
08-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Must.

Not.

Bite.

:fishing:

Luis Anaconda
08-07-2019, 11:15 AM
As I know you are a big fan of the theatre, b ;) Robert Shaw's son's play on the making of Jaws is supposed to be very good

barrybueno
08-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Don't forget Quint on board the USS Indianapolis who had to face a desperate wait for rescue in shark infested waters after being torpedoed.

:music: Show me the way to go home :music:

barrybueno
08-07-2019, 11:29 AM

Ah, just read this :clap: wd B

Sir C
08-07-2019, 11:40 AM

David Lammy has described it as an atrocity.

barrybueno
08-07-2019, 11:47 AM
David Lammy has described it as an atrocity.

Probably thinks Pearl Harbour was just harmless bantz.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-07-2019, 12:39 PM

It's not ruthlessness they lack. Look at their capitalism, black rights, Gitmo bay and treatment of the UK as soon as the War in Asia was won - all show that Johnny Septic is a ruthless ****er.

It's their inability to learn foreign dialects, appreciate cultures (I would say foreign foreign cultures but that would erroneously imply such a thing a domestic American culture existed) and look at a map of the globe with a sense of wonder instead of bewilderment.

Can you imagine your average Septic junior officer actively wanting to learn Gorkhi, Punjabi, Pashto etc?

Backward race, they really are. While Sadhus and Buddhist monks are communing with the Divine on the spiritual planes of consciousness, the Septics are shooting each other up in the name of a middle-Eastern prophet who preached turning the other cheek.

WES
08-07-2019, 12:58 PM

The hypocrisy from the left on this is quite astonishing.

While they are happy to complain about dropping the bomb, nary a mention of the fire bombing of mostly wooden Japanese cities which killed far more people under equally awful circumstances.

And don't even try mentioning that the Japs probably killed more innocent people in Nanjing than were killed by both nuclear bombs.

It's virtue signalling, hypocrisy and rank stupidity all rolled into one. :nod:

Burney
08-07-2019, 01:11 PM
The hypocrisy from the left on this is quite astonishing.

While they are happy to complain about dropping the bomb, nary a mention of the fire bombing of mostly wooden Japanese cities which killed far more people under equally awful circumstances.

And don't even try mentioning that the Japs probably killed more innocent people in Nanjing than were killed by both nuclear bombs.

It's virtue signalling, hypocrisy and rank stupidity all rolled into one. :nod:

Frankly, the definitive view on dropping the bomb for me comes from George Macdonald Fraser in 'Quartered Safe Out Here'. He was slogging through Burma with the 14th Army at the time, fighting a fanatical (if doomed) enemy that wanted to take as many of him and his mates with them as they could before dying. Given which, he regarded the bomb as a really very good thing indeed, since it meant he got to go home and have kids and grandkids - none of whom might have been born without it.
So lefties in peace and comfort can moralise about the bomb all they like. The fact is that they weren't faced with a likely choice between it and 50-odd more years more life. Those who were (and their loved ones) get the final say as far as I'm concerned.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Frankly, the definitive view on dropping the bomb for me comes from George Macdonald Fraser in 'Quartered Safe Out Here'. He was slogging through Burma with the 14th Army at the time, fighting a fanatical (if doomed) enemy that wanted to take as many of him and his mates with them as they could before dying. Given which, he regarded the bomb as a really very good thing indeed, since it meant he got to go home and have kids and grandkids - none of whom might have been born without it.
So lefties in peace and comfort can moralise about the bomb all they like. The fact is that they weren't faced with a likely choice between it and 50-odd more years more life. Those who were (and their loved ones) get the final say as far as I'm concerned.

You forget the fact that GMF the says that if his platoon had been asked whether to sit back, let the bomb happen and go home, or continue fighting the land war to avoid said destruction, he reckons they would have quietly stood up, picked up their rifles and packs without saying a word and gone out to continue the march South.

Just TBC, I disagree with GMF's lads on this. The Japs started the war and if nuking the fücking lot of them meant that just one more Sikh or Gurkha got to spend old age with his grand-kids, the govt which paid those Sikhs and Gurkhas their wages had a duty to do all in the power to protect them, even if it meant 50m dead Nips and the rest of them glowing green.

How could we tell the 2.5m Indian volunteers "Sorry, lads. We could win the war today but thousands more of you will have to die and you'll have to wait longer for independence because we're too squeamish to give the bāstards the slapping they deserve."?

It's a no-brainer. I fail to understand how any could think otherwise.

John Bunnell
08-08-2019, 07:40 AM
I've always wanted to die from a nuclear bomb exploding in my face

WES
08-08-2019, 08:40 AM

Sadly, they don't go off very often

Ash
08-08-2019, 09:17 AM

Certainly the best way to die from one. :nod:

Maybe git yerself down to Iran in a year or two. Killing a hundred million Iranian civilians will doubtless be justified in the cause of saving the lives of USUK servicemen who will otherwise die in a hopeless and unwinnable war.

The rest of us will die from the nuclear winter.