PDA

View Full Version : Over-rated things: crusty rolls.

Ash
08-05-2019, 08:41 AM
Shrapnel everywhere.

Sir C
08-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Shrapnel everywhere.

Crusty roll, a thick layer of cold, unsalted butter, a slice of cheddar cheese and a topping of salt and vinegar crisps.

That's culinary perfection, right there.

I haven't eaten bread for two weeks. Or spuds. Or pasta. Or rice. :-(

Burney
08-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Shrapnel everywhere.

Agree completely. The only time I will make an exception is for a cheese and onion roll. The Cheese and the (white) onion must be cut rustically and then, somehow, the combination of textures really raises the thing to a whole new level.

It is over a month since I've had a sandwich :cry:

Burney
08-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Crusty roll, a thick layer of cold, unsalted butter, a slice of cheddar cheese and a topping of salt and vinegar crisps.

We've basically posted the same thing. :-(

Sir C
08-05-2019, 08:49 AM
We've basically posted the same thing. :-(

:-(

I lost 3lbs in the first week and now I'm stuck. Nothing moving. It's infuriating.

Yesterday I walked from Whitstable to Herne Bay, then turned round and walked back again. About 12 miles. Sat and ordered my lobster with garlic butter and salad. Without chips.

Lobster. Without. Chips. :-(

Ash
08-05-2019, 08:52 AM

I've never had a crisp sandwich. Hidden pointy shards :-|

Burney
08-05-2019, 08:53 AM
:-(

I lost 3lbs in the first week and now I'm stuck. Nothing moving. It's infuriating.

Yesterday I walked from Whitstable to Herne Bay, then turned round and walked back again. About 12 miles. Sat and ordered my lobster with garlic butter and salad. Without chips.

Lobster. Without. Chips. :-(

It goes like that. I was stuck on the same weight for a week and starting to despair and then suddenly one day I weighed myself and I'd dropped 4lbs. I don't know how it works, but it does. :shrug:

Ash
08-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Yesterday I walked from Whitstable to Herne Bay, then turned round and walked back again. About 12 miles.

Sounds good. I walked from Beckenham to Nunhead via Crystal Palace. Also 12 miles.

Rich
08-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Shrapnel everywhere.

See also: Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

Sir C
08-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Sounds good. I walked from Beckenham to Nunhead via Crystal Palace. Also 12 miles.

Nice. I did 11 miles around the Shoreham valley on Saturday. I also ran 5 miles on Saturday.

Still 79.4kg. :-(

Sir C
08-05-2019, 09:05 AM
I've never had a crisp sandwich. Hidden pointy shards :-|

It's like a bonus. An unexpected shard punctures a hole in the roof of your mouth which is instantly filled with chemically-created vinegar burn. :cloud9: #painaspleasure

Burney
08-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Nice. I did 11 miles around the Shoreham valley on Saturday. I also ran 5 miles on Saturday.

When you do your 5k on that machine, what speed/incline do you have it set to?

barrybueno
08-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Shrapnel everywhere.

Most of this England test side :-(

Sir C
08-05-2019, 09:12 AM
When you do your 5k on that machine, what speed/incline do you have it set to?

Incline is always set at 1%, but speed varies, dunnit. Depends on form and how I'm feeling. Currently I'm struggling to get through 5k at 6.5 mph, I guess due to the lack of carbs - or it could be psychological, I suppose.

Under normal circumstances I use 7.2 mph which is a 26 minute 5k. Any faster than that and I start to ping hamstrings or suffer with gnee.

Burney
08-05-2019, 09:17 AM
Incline is always set at 1%, but speed varies, dunnit. Depends on form and how I'm feeling. Currently I'm struggling to get through 5k at 6.5 mph, I guess due to the lack of carbs - or it could be psychological, I suppose.

Under normal circumstances I use 7.2 mph which is a 26 minute 5k. Any faster than that and I start to ping hamstrings or suffer with gnee.

Yes, I'm at 6.6mph, which basically means 5k is done and dusted inside half an hour. Changing the incline sounds like a good idea in theory, but when you're doing it, it's really the last thing you want. G uses it quite a lot for her girly walking workouts, though.

My only - very minor - criticism of the machine is that its speakers are a bit pathetic, which means that unless you're listening to music, you can't make out your audiobook or podcast over the noise of the treadmill and the fan. I've gone back to using earphones, tbh.

Ash
08-05-2019, 09:17 AM

That's the Darent isn't it? Did that last year, I think. Most agreeable.

Ash
08-05-2019, 09:20 AM
See also: Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

Yes.

You haven't been watching pre-season friendlies, have you Rich? :sherlock:

Sir C
08-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Yes, I'm at 6.6mph, which basically means 5k is done and dusted inside half an hour. Changing the incline sounds like a good idea in theory, but when you're doing it, it's really the last thing you want. G uses it quite a lot for her girly walking workouts, though.

My only - very minor - criticism of the machine is that its speakers are a bit pathetic, which means that unless you're listening to music, you can't make out your audiobook or podcast over the noise of the treadmill and the fan. I've gone back to using earphones, tbh.

I spent ages pushing to go faster and faster and just kept damaging myself, so it was completely counter-productive. I may even decide to stick at around 30 minutes in future. Better to be able to go 5 times a week than push so hard you're needing more rest days.

I've never used the inbuilt speakers - I jury-rigged an old amplifier and speakers with a cheap bluetooth connection so I can blast music as loudly as I like. The inbuilt fan is a bit silly, though. :hehe:

I can never manage to concentrate on a book or podcast while I'm running. i just feed off loud guitars.

Sir C
08-05-2019, 09:23 AM
That's the Darent isn't it? Did that last year, I think. Most agreeable.

Yes, it's all very pleasant round there. Shoreham is a lovely villaga and there are nice stretches of the river to walk alongside.

Ash
08-05-2019, 09:23 AM
Most of this England test side :-(

I was in your manor on Saturday, Barry - breakfast at Ems Kitchen, and I saw that legendary boozer of yours.

Burney
08-05-2019, 09:27 AM
I spent ages pushing to go faster and faster and just kept damaging myself, so it was completely counter-productive. I may even decide to stick at around 30 minutes in future. Better to be able to go 5 times a week than push so hard you're needing more rest days.

I've never used the inbuilt speakers - I jury-rigged an old amplifier and speakers with a cheap bluetooth connection so I can blast music as loudly as I like. The inbuilt fan is a bit silly, though. :hehe:

I can never manage to concentrate on a book or podcast while I'm running. i just feed off loud guitars.

Yeah, I figure half an hour at a decent lick 5 times a week is plenty. I'm not going to get back into the madness of doing 7+ miles a day like a I used to. With hindsight, that just seems mental. There were some days at weekends where I'd do 7 miles and then think 'Fúck it' and do another 7.

barrybueno
08-05-2019, 09:35 AM
I was in your manor on Saturday, Barry - breakfast at Ems Kitchen, and I saw that legendary boozer of yours.

Had to look that up, didn't even know that was there :hehe: We could have had a cheeky pint, unless you had brekkie at 7am, that's a bit early imo

Pokster
08-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I figure half an hour at a decent lick 5 times a week is plenty. I'm not going to get back into the madness of doing 7+ miles a day like a I used to. With hindsight, that just seems mental. There were some days at weekends where I'd do 7 miles and then think 'Fúck it' and do another 7.

I'm trying to get back into running...my knees keep telling me not to. Doing park run most Saturdays, take 1 of the dogs and my 8 yr old, he is happy that he has beaten his PB the last 3 weeks, 30 mins 10 seconds for him now. Should help with his football training to.

Just buying a bike through cyclescheme at work, it's all the extra crap you now need to buy with it that does my head in, need special shoes etc WTF

Burney
08-05-2019, 10:05 AM
I'm trying to get back into running...my knees keep telling me not to. Doing park run most Saturdays, take 1 of the dogs and my 8 yr old, he is happy that he has beaten his PB the last 3 weeks, 30 mins 10 seconds for him now. Should help with his football training to.

Just buying a bike through cyclescheme at work, it's all the extra crap you now need to buy with it that does my head in, need special shoes etc WTF

I splashed out on the machine because I know that any attempt to start running again would falter as soon as it started getting dark in the evenings and mornings. Running on pavements at night is horrible and just asking for injury. This way I can get my run out of the way in the evening or morning - plus a treadmill is a bit easier on the knees.

barrybueno
08-05-2019, 10:14 AM
I splashed out on the machine because I know that any attempt to start running again would falter as soon as it started getting dark in the evenings and mornings. Running on pavements at night is horrible and just asking for injury. This way I can get my run out of the way in the evening or morning - plus a treadmill is a bit easier on the knees.

Very unlikely to get stabbed or mugged too.

And there goes the first cheap wicket...