PDA

View Full Version : Actually, I feel sorry for Mustafi.

Ash
07-30-2019, 10:17 AM
There, I said it.

PSRB
07-30-2019, 10:23 AM
There, I said it.

I do too, he has all the tools, just silly lapses in concentration and always seems to get punished for it.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-30-2019, 10:26 AM
I do too, he has all the tools, just silly lapses in concentration and always seems to get punished for it.

I actually think he could be a decent defender. I just think that he is part of a very weak defensive unit so any lapse or any mistake is more likely to get punished at this level. There are only so many times this can happen before confidence gets totally shot.

Sir C
07-30-2019, 10:29 AM
There, I said it.

90% of the time he looks like a bloody good defender. There's just something not quite right. Others have mentioned confidence, or playing in sub-standard unit, or lapses in concentration. One, or all of these, is probably to blame.

I'll tell you what though Clive. Booing him isn't going to help.

IUFG
07-30-2019, 10:29 AM

He was great for his first six months or so at The Arsenal. Then it all went to shít.

And he's playing in one of the weakest defencive units in living memory.

Pat Vegas
07-30-2019, 10:31 AM
90% of the time he looks like a bloody good defender. There's just something not quite right. Others have mentioned confidence, or playing in sub-standard unit, or lapses in concentration. One, or all of these, is probably to blame.

he's good for one big error a game though :-( I like him though.

Burney
07-30-2019, 10:31 AM

Well I for one believe we ought to blame Emery. :nod:

Ash
07-30-2019, 10:32 AM

Absolutely correct.

So that's what we'll do. :nod:

IUFG
07-30-2019, 10:32 AM

Well, no it isn't and he'll be gone soon. As will Koscielny.

We'd better buy another centre-half (that will actually join us) this season, or we'll be in terrouble...

Ash
07-30-2019, 10:33 AM
He was great for his first six months or so at The Arsenal. Then it all went to shít.

And he's playing in one of the weakest defencive units in living memory.

That Squiggly bloke we got in at the same time as Kos was actually a good defender before we destroyed him.

Wenger Out!

IUFG
07-30-2019, 10:33 AM

:nono: a Wenger panic buy.

Rich
07-30-2019, 10:34 AM

It doesn't matter now. Raul has convinced Monaco to give us EUR30,000,000 for him!!!

Ash
07-30-2019, 10:35 AM

That does seem to be your default position.

Rich
07-30-2019, 10:35 AM

Gary Neville is on record as saying when he was Valencia boss, they couldn't shove him for love nor money. Basically said he was a complete liability and he didn't understand why Arsenal were interested.

Ash
07-30-2019, 10:36 AM
It doesn't matter now. Raul has convinced Monaco to give us EUR30,000,000 for him!!!

Thank Dennis we have your ITK skillz here, Rich.

Sir C
07-30-2019, 10:38 AM

I'm giving Emery one more chance, since he's had his gnashers sorted and everything.

Burney
07-30-2019, 10:41 AM

I hardly think you can describe a German international World Cup winner as a panic buy.

And besides, it's irrelevant. The greasy gobbledegook merchant has been in charge for a year now. Everything that's wrong is by definition his fault.

Burney
07-30-2019, 10:42 AM
I'm giving Emery one more chance, since he's had his gnashers sorted and everything.

But can he speak English yet?

Rich
07-30-2019, 10:42 AM
Thank Dennis we have your ITK skillz here, Rich.

Ruben Dias and Daniele Rugani coming in to replace him and Kos. Add Pepe and Tierney to those two and we have well and truly won the Transfer Window Trophy for the first time in history.

As Josh said; 'be excited'. As Unai said; 'we are working to sign very big, very expensive players'.

:cloud9: We might have our Arsenal back.

Burney
07-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Ruben Dias and Daniele Rugani coming in to replace him and Kos. Add Pepe and Tierney to those two and we have well and truly won the Transfer Window Trophy for the first time in history.

As Josh said; 'be excited'. As Unai said; 'we are working to sign very big, very expensive players'.

:cloud9: We might have our Arsenal back.

:hehe: Have you ever seen a transfer rumour in which you didn't immediately place 100% faith, r?

IUFG
07-30-2019, 10:53 AM
... a German international World Cup winner

even a stopped clock etc.

Rich
07-30-2019, 10:58 AM
:hehe: Have you ever seen a transfer rumour in which you didn't immediately place 100% faith, r?

I love this Raul Sanhelli. Works with all the super agents when Arsene refused to do so for so many years. Wd Raul.

Viva Prat Vegas
07-30-2019, 11:23 AM
You are a bit Nic-ish at times Rich
No offence like

Ash
07-30-2019, 11:29 AM
I love this Raul Sanhelli. Works with all the super agents when Arsene refused to do so for so many years. Wd Raul.

Let's see if they can shift Squadron then.

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Gary Neville is on record as saying when he was Valencia boss, they couldn't shove him for love nor money. Basically said he was a complete liability and he didn't understand why Arsenal were interested.
He isn't on record as saying this at all - he's on record being quite complimentary at times. What you are quoting is what he is alleged to have said to Lee Dixon

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2019, 11:39 AM
He isn't on record as saying this at all - he's on record being quite complimentary at times. What you are quoting is what he is alleged to have said to Lee Dixon

Actual quotes from Neville on Mustafi a few games after we signed him:

Neville told the Metro: "Mustafi has got an incredible amount of natural ability and talent, good physical capability and I think with age and maturity he will grow into being a fantastic defender.

"He’s got all the attributes you would want. I think he’s got all the makings of it.

"Defenders will mature with age and I think he will get better and better."

Rich
07-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Neville told the Metro: "Mustafi has got an incredible amount of natural ability and talent, good physical capability and I think with age and maturity he will grow into being a fantastic defender.

"He’s got all the attributes you would want. I think he’s got all the makings of it.

So what he is trying to say is 'Heis ****e at the moment. He has legs, a head, a body and a brain. He can also run about and therefore; with the benefit of time may develop into a defender capable of playing at this level?'

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2019, 11:45 AM
So what he is trying to say is 'Heis ****e at the moment. He has legs, a head, a body and a brain. He can also run about and therefore; with the benefit of time may develop into a defender capable of playing at this level?'

No, he really isn't. Hope that clears that up

Tony C
07-30-2019, 12:16 PM
He reminds me of soldier who has seen too much war and now has extreme PTSD and can’t pull the trigger any more even though his mates in the fox hole are all dying.

He needs to take a year off. Get his mind back and restart somewhere else.

Burn out and mental health are real issues.

I feel sorry for him from this point of view.

The constant - I want to stay and prove myself quotes are simply a cry for help.

But this is football so we’ll do the equivalent of taking him round the back and putting a bullet in his head :-|

IUFG
07-30-2019, 12:23 PM
so we’ll do the equivalent of taking him round the back and putting a bullet in his head :-|

it's for the best, t

Ash
07-30-2019, 12:41 PM
He needs to take a year off. Get his mind back and restart somewhere else.

Burn out and mental health are real issues.

I feel sorry for him from this point of view.

:nod: deffo. A year on Supplementary Benefit and sitting in a bedsit while he gets his head together would do him wonders imo.

WES
07-30-2019, 12:43 PM

I think his good spell coincided with having a steady partnership in the middle with someone, Kos maybe. 3 at the back really doesn't suit him. I expect that Unai thinks that if we have a first choice LB we can play 4 at the back consistently we will see the best of him again.

Wouldn't hurt to have Torreira establish himself in the DM role as well.

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2019, 12:50 PM
I think his good spell coincided with having a steady partnership in the middle with someone, Kos maybe. 3 at the back really doesn't suit him. I expect that Unai thinks that if we have a first choice LB we can play 4 at the back consistently we will see the best of him again.

Wouldn't hurt to have Torreira establish himself in the DM role as well.
Indeed - that would appear to be the plan. Of course when we are knocking in 5 every week it will help