PDA

View Full Version : Phew! What a scorcher!

Ash
07-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Is, I believe, the correct and official nomenclature.

PSRB
07-25-2019, 08:51 AM

27c according to the car at 8.30am, of course the weekend is going to be **** though

IUFG
07-25-2019, 09:39 AM

I played golf yesterday afternoon.
A mistake, in hindsight. Fúcking scorchio in 'stanglia :-(

My calves are red fúcking raw today.

Pokster
07-25-2019, 09:47 AM
I played golf yesterday afternoon.
A mistake, in hindsight. Fúcking scorchio in 'stanglia :-(

My calves are red fúcking raw today.

Took the day off a couple of days ago , went to the seaside and smothered myself in sun cream...missed the tops of my feet :-(

IUFG
07-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Took the day off a couple of days ago , went to the seaside and smothered myself in sun cream...missed the tops of my feet :-(

Ooooh, nice piece of burnt, thin skin rubbing on your shoes...

Burney
07-25-2019, 10:21 AM

The cricket could be interesting today. If England bat decently, I think some of these Irish players might actually die of heatstroke. :hehe:

PSRB
07-25-2019, 10:32 AM
The cricket could be interesting today. If England bat decently, I think some of these Irish players might actually die of heatstroke. :hehe:

Jack Leach to open against the Aussies

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Not ideal for Stirlo - a throwback to when cricketers could be more rotund. And a ginger to boot

PSRB
07-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Not ideal for Stirlo - a throwback to when cricketers could be more rotund. And a ginger to boot

Awful shot from Burns :rolleyes:

Burney
07-25-2019, 11:00 AM

Leach is playing as if to the manner born. I wonder who the last speccy four-eyes to open the batting for England was?

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:03 AM

Leach is doing a good job marshalling the tail and keeping them off strike

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Leach is playing as if to the manner born. I wonder who the last speccy four-eyes to open the batting for England was?

Only four-eyes I can recall was David Steele - but he was middle order I think (can remember hearing off him not quite old enough to have seen him play). Tavare may have worn glasses - didn't stop him not playing his shots though. Wouldn't mind one of his kind today tbh

Burney
07-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Only four-eyes I can recall was David Steele - but he was middle order I think (can remember hearing off him not quite old enough to have seen him play). Tavare may have worn glasses - didn't stop him not playing his shots though. Wouldn't mind one of his kind today tbh

I know Sir Geoffrey wore specs for his early tests - before he discovered contacts.

Burney
07-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Leach is doing a good job marshalling the tail and keeping them off strike

:hehe: We'll see if my fellow Old Whitgiftian Roy can do a slightly better impression of a test match batsman today.

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:07 AM
I know Sir Geoffrey wore specs for his early tests - before he discovered contacts.

Yes - I can remember pictures of that

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:09 AM
:hehe: We'll see if my fellow Old Whitgiftian Roy can do a slightly better impression of a test match batsman today.

Seems only to be scoring in boundaries

Burney
07-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Seems only to be scoring in boundaries

He just goes far too hard at the ball. He's playing miles in front of his front pad. If I didn't know he'd grown up playing his cricket in this country, I'd assume he was an Aussie or a Saffer.

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:16 AM
He just goes far too hard at the ball. He's playing miles in front of his front pad. If I didn't know he'd grown up playing his cricket in this country, I'd assume he was an Aussie or a Saffer.

Well he was a saffer til he was 12 - and will be again when he gets out. Also plays at the Oval - might have something to do with it

Burney
07-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Well he was a saffer til he was 12 - and will be again when he gets out. Also plays at the Oval - might have something to do with it

I think he came here when he was 10, to be fair. You're right about the Oval, though. Also, the main wicket at Whitgift was always a road as well. Gorgeous to bat on, it was. And a nice short boundary to the bank. Had some very pleasant knocks on there. :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:26 AM
I think he came here when he was 10, to be fair. You're right about the Oval, though. Also, the main wicket at Whitgift was always a road as well. Gorgeous to bat on, it was. And a nice short boundary to the bank. Had some very pleasant knocks on there. :cloud9:

Yeah - you're right. He was 10, Stokes was 12. Roy does have some lovely shots though, by no means just a basher. If Thorpe can get his head/hands right he can be good

Burney
07-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Yeah - you're right. He was 10, Stokes was 12. Roy does have some lovely shots though, by no means just a basher. If Thorpe can get his head/hands right he can be good

Agreed. And if anyone can show him, it's Thorpe. He played beautifully late. I still maintain he's one of the most underrated English batsmen of my lifetime - largely because he was always playing in shít sides where he was the only world-class bat. I know it was the right decisions to pick Pietersen in 2005, but it was still a very shoddy end for Thorpe.

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Agreed. And if anyone can show him, it's Thorpe. He played beautifully late. I still maintain he's one of the most underrated English batsmen of my lifetime - largely because he was always playing in shít sides where he was the only world-class bat. I know it was the right decisions to pick Pietersen in 2005, but it was still a very shoddy end for Thorpe.

Absolutely - odd that such a quiet bloke had much of his career overshadowed by his private life. I was at the Oval when he and Trescothick took a fairly decent SA attack to pieces. So clinical

PSRB
07-25-2019, 11:49 AM

Bowled him in the nets at Farnham, he was a bit miffed

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Bowled him in the nets at Farnham, he was a bit miffed

:hehe: poor nets obviously. I remember being in the bar at Quo Vadis (the places we'd go to when we were young!) and got chatting to these Kiwi girls one of whom claimed to be the girl that Thorpe smuggled into his room in NZ. Hardly worth risking your marriage for, let alone your England place (and yes that is the right order of importance)

Burney
07-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Absolutely - odd that such a quiet bloke had much of his career overshadowed by his private life. I was at the Oval when he and Trescothick took a fairly decent SA attack to pieces. So clinical

:nod: From what I read, his relationship with his wife was always pretty rocky - not helped by him constantly touring, presumably. It's hard to see him as a ladies' man, but it's often the quiet ones, I suppose.

Ash
07-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Only four-eyes I can recall was David Steele - but he was middle order I think (can remember hearing off him not quite old enough to have seen him play).

I remember him. :old: ISTR a local butcher offering him a year's supply of meat after one of his heroic innings.

Also had a Spinal Tap moment at Lord's getting lost in the pavilion coming out to bat on debut against the Aussies.

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 12:33 PM
I remember him. :old: ISTR a local butcher offering him a year's supply of meat after one of his heroic innings.

Also had a Spinal Tap moment at Lord's getting lost in the pavilion coming out to bat on debut against the Aussies.

That would be the one - the most unlikely winner of BBC Sports Personality of the Year ever

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 12:33 PM
:nod: From what I read, his relationship with his wife was always pretty rocky - not helped by him constantly touring, presumably. It's hard to see him as a ladies' man, but it's often the quiet ones, I suppose.

:nod: His marriage only ended after she played away from home I seem to recall

PSRB
07-25-2019, 01:10 PM

Roy at 3 for the Ashes? Might as well sack off the openers

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Did you see much of Stone yesterday? Haven't seen him at all but sounds quite promising with the obvious caveat of the opposition

Burney
07-25-2019, 01:21 PM
Did you see much of Stone yesterday? Haven't seen him at all but sounds quite promising with the obvious caveat of the opposition

He's sharp. Not in the Archer or Wood pace range, but lively and 90-ish. Bowls a very good bouncer.

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 01:35 PM
He's sharp. Not in the Archer or Wood pace range, but lively and 90-ish. Bowls a very good bouncer.

Just watched the ball to bowl Balbirnie (don't try saying that out loud) yesterday. Decent. Looks a bit like the love child of Broad and Plunkett though

Ash
07-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Roy at 3 for the Ashes? Might as well sack off the openers

Send the bowlers in first to try and block the new ball imo. None our our 'batsmen' seem to able to survive it often.

Luis Anaconda
07-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Send the bowlers in first to try and block the new ball imo. None our our 'batsmen' seem to able to survive it often.

:hehe: Leach has just reached our first innings score

Ash
07-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Aaaaand ... collapse.

Burney
07-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Aaaaand ... collapse.

Inevitable without the solidity of Leach to underpin the innings imo.

Tony C
07-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Cleaned up.

Went back in on Ireland a couple hours back at 25/1

Just cashed out at 9/2.

Burney
07-25-2019, 03:11 PM
Cleaned up.

Went back in on Ireland a couple hours back at 25/1

Just cashed out at 9/2.

Anything under 150 is gettable. Anything more and Ireland are Finnish.

Luis Anaconda
07-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Anything under 150 is gettable. Anything more and Ireland are Finnish.
Confident about that? Is there a bit of cloud about?

Burney
07-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Confident about that? Is there a bit of cloud about?

I make England solid favourites, I'm afraid. Ireland struggled to get to 207 in the first innings. I don't see life being any easier for them in this.

I'd like to be wrong. They deserve to win for having made a game of it, but I fear England will be too strong for them.