PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been somehwre unfamiliar on the tube

Sir C
07-17-2019, 02:43 PM
and had to stop and gawp at a tube map like a tourist, or some sort of yokel?

It's fúcking embarrassing. :-(

Ash
07-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Tube?

What is this? Chauffeur's day off?

IUFG
07-17-2019, 03:07 PM

I thought all the new signage that they put up for the Olympics would have helped you retards out...

Sir C
07-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Tube?

I have been listening carefully to Mr Corbyn's eruditely expressed ideas for a better society. So I have given away my wealth to the poor and joined a terrorist organisation committed to finishing the job Hitler started. In this way I feel I will become a good person like Jeremy, John and Seamus.

Maravilloso Marvo
07-18-2019, 06:52 AM
Tube?

He is busy on another thread trying to get £20 by promoting some food delivery service or something. I think it is clear that Charlie has fallen on hard times (again). Let's all support him in his moment of need.

Monty92
07-18-2019, 08:09 AM
I must admit I read that thread and cringed.

It does make his “tight Jewish bignose ****” invective ring rather hollow.

He is busy on another thread trying to get £20 by promoting some food delivery service or something. I think it is clear that Charlie has fallen on hard times (again). Let's all support him in his moment of need.

Rich
07-18-2019, 08:29 AM

I use my app with pre-loaded map so that I may avoid this embarrassment.

Burney
07-18-2019, 08:44 AM

To be honest, virtually everywhere west of Paddington is 'Here Be Dragons' territory as far as I'm concerned.

Rich
07-18-2019, 08:45 AM
To be honest, virtually everywhere west of Paddington is 'Here Be Dragons' territory as far as I'm concerned.

Even Wimbledon & Richmond? :-(

Burney
07-18-2019, 08:46 AM

Frankly, yes. West London can fúck off imo.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 08:48 AM

West of Paddington I'm driving in. That's pretty mjuch the M25, isn't it?

Burney
07-18-2019, 08:51 AM
West of Paddington I'm driving in. That's pretty much the M25, isn't it?

As anyone who has ever made the mistake of taking the tube to Heathrow knows, there are vast, mysterious wastelands of West London as yet untouched by civilisation.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 08:51 AM

Wimbledon isn't London, is it?

I once went to Wimbledon by tube. Must have been around 1978. My friend Malcolm and I decided to go to Plough Lane to watch Wimbledon, because they'd recently beaten West Ham in a cup game and that struck us as amusing. It took fúcking hours to get there and then the game was postponed. We went to his Auntie's house nearby and she gave us tea and cake.

Good. Fúcking. Timez.

IUFG
07-18-2019, 08:55 AM
As anyone who has ever made the mistake of taking the tube to Heathrow knows, there are vast, mysterious wastelands of West London as yet untouched by civilisation.

Some of the passengers on those trains look untouched by civilisation, tbh

Luis Anaconda
07-18-2019, 09:14 AM

:nod: Working at Osterley was a pretty scary experience - particularly when you finished after midnight on a Sunday

Herbert Augustus Chapman
07-18-2019, 09:16 AM

Millwall nut-jobs".

( I think we've been through this a few times b ).

Ash
07-18-2019, 09:28 AM

I have walked from Acton Town to Heathrow via all the stations to explore these exotic wastelands. The tube journey now seems tame by comparison.

Ash
07-18-2019, 09:30 AM
:nod: Working at Osterley was a pretty scary experience - particularly when you finished after midnight on a Sunday

Sky?

Some triffic Art Deco on the Golden Mile though. One day I will write a piece on the Seven Wonders of Brentford. Who knew eh?

Ash
07-18-2019, 09:33 AM

I used to think that but know most of it now. You might like leafy Chiswick. Though one cannot get a pwopah breakfast there until you literally cross the border into Hammersmith. West Hammersmith is quite plush too tbf.

Ash
07-18-2019, 09:35 AM

A problem I sometimes have is when wandering around somewhere central with a book in hand pointing out some hidden historical curiosity or significant architectural detail, and someone 'helpfully' asks me if I'm lost or near directions. :-|

Luis Anaconda
07-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Sky?

Some triffic Art Deco on the Golden Mile though. One day I will write a piece on the Seven Wonders of Brentford. Who knew eh?

It was - never had getting home to the hills of Highgate been as welcoming as the night I worked there during the riots

Sir C
07-18-2019, 09:41 AM
A problem I sometimes have is when wandering around somewhere central with a book in hand pointing out some hidden historical curiosity or significant architectural detail, and someone 'helpfully' asks me if I'm lost or near directions. :-|

Enough to make the strongest man shudder, a. :-(

A simple, "Why, do I look like a furrin?" should set them straight.

Rich
07-18-2019, 09:57 AM

I once went to Wimbledon by tube. Must have been around 1978. My friend Malcolm and I decided to go to Plough Lane to watch Wimbledon, because they'd recently beaten West Ham in a cup game and that struck us as amusing. It took fúcking hours to get there and then the game was postponed. We went to his Auntie's house nearby and she gave us tea and cake.

Good. Fúcking. Timez.

I mean, the last three lines of my address are 'Wimbledon, London, SW19 XXX'.

So I will have you know that it is London.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 09:59 AM
I mean, the last three lines of my address are 'Wimbledon, London, SW19 XXX'.

So I will have you know that it is London.

Oh I have no doubt that Wimbledon identifies as London, just as you identify as a doctor and a bearded docker called Keith can identify as a ballerina. Doesn't make any of it true.

Rich
07-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Oh I have no doubt that Wimbledon identifies as London, just as you identify as a doctor and a bearded docker called Keith can identify as a ballerina. Doesn't make any of it true.

It's bloody zone 3, for heaven's sake! Where does London stop? Is Battersea London?! Is Clapham London?! Ridicules.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 10:02 AM
It's bloody zone 3, for heaven's sake! Where does London stop? Is Battersea London?! Is Clapham London?! Ridicules.

:shrug: It is a simple rectangle, whose sides are Park Lane in the west, Oxford Street to the north, Kingsway in the east and The Strand along the south.

There's nothing comp0licated about it.

Rich
07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
:shrug: It is a simple rectangle, whose sides are Park Lane in the west, Oxford Street to the north, Kingsway in the east and The Strand along the south.

I had no idea that London was such a small city, in your eyes.

Still, this is comforting news having read that detached house prices in London were slumping at 4%pa just yesterday. Clearly my property is not impacted by this :cloud9:

Pokster
07-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Everywhere else is oop North isn't it?

Ash
07-18-2019, 10:05 AM

We've done this before. Sir C's London would make for a very slim volume of the A-Z.

Truth is, there are many Londons.

Ash
07-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Still, this is comforting news having read that detached house prices in London were slumping at 4%pa just yesterday. Clearly my property is not impacted by this :cloud9:

There are detatched houses in London?

Not very bloody many imo.

Burney
07-18-2019, 10:10 AM

It's like Richmond and Kingston-Upon-Thames. No way are they London. They're leafy towns masquerading as London.

IUFG
07-18-2019, 10:17 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

Rich
07-18-2019, 10:20 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

Well that's The City rather than the city. I work right in the middle of it; on Garlick Hill.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 10:21 AM
We've done this before. Sir C's London would make for a very slim volume of the A-Z.

Truth is, there are many Londons.

That's the beauty of London really, isn't it? It's really loads of villages joined together, didn't someone or other say that?

When I say London, what I really mean is 'Where One Visits To Eat or Buy Clothes'.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
07-18-2019, 10:23 AM
I have walked from Acton Town to Heathrow via all the stations to explore these exotic wastelands. The tube journey now seems tame by comparison.

Mercy me a, you must have passed through the living hell called Hayes Town. Those of us who have lived near its environs simply call it the Open Prison. I knew a Hayes girl who had her anus tatooed to resemble a pouting cherub with the caption "gizza kiss" on her buttocks*

*may have made that up, convinced she probably exists

Rich
07-18-2019, 10:24 AM
It's like Richmond and Kingston-Upon-Thames. No way are they London. They're leafy towns masquerading as London.

Does being leafy preclude a suburb from being a part of a much greater city? Surely the tapestry of London is, in part, down to its many, vastly different, districts?

IUFG
07-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Well that's The City rather than the city. I work right in the middle of it; on Garlick Hill.

Oh, you mean the conurbation of Greater London?

Where the stuff south of Tooley Street doesn't really matter...

Burney
07-18-2019, 10:28 AM
That's the beauty of London really, isn't it? It's really loads of villages joined together, didn't someone or other say that?

When I say London, what I really mean is 'Where One Visits To Eat or Buy Clothes'.

I think you've got London mixed up with Bluewater, mate.

Pokster
07-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Oh, you mean the conurbation of Greater London?

Where the stuff south of Tooley Street doesn't really matter...

Who knows where London ends...certainly not Ryannair imo

Burney
07-18-2019, 10:30 AM
Does being leafy preclude a suburb from being a part of a much greater city? Surely the tapestry of London is, in part, down to its many, vastly different, districts?

But they're not suburbs. They're entities in their own right. The same (in a very different way) goes for Croydon. Croydon is technically London, but I grew up there and it's definitely not really London.

Burney
07-18-2019, 10:32 AM

I think that every time I drive miles out into the Hertfordshire/Essex countryside past lovely villages to 'London' Stansted :hehe:

Face facts, everyone: it's Cambridge Airport.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 10:32 AM
I think you've got London mixed up with Bluewater, mate.

What an extremely vulgar thing to say.

IUFG
07-18-2019, 10:34 AM

:nod:

London Stansted.
London Southend.
London Luton.

And they can still land at East Midlands instead...

Rich
07-18-2019, 10:35 AM
But they're not suburbs. They're entities in their own right. The same (in a very different way) goes for Croydon. Croydon is technically London, but I grew up there and it's definitely not really London.

I went to Croydon the other day. We visited something called Boxpark which was actually rather fun (for many reasons). I can also see the lights of Croydon from my garden; about 8 miles, as the crow flies.

IUFG
07-18-2019, 10:41 AM
I went to Croydon the other day. We visited something called Boxpark which was actually rather fun (for many reasons). I can also see the lights of Croydon from my garden; about 8 miles, as the crow flies.

though I'm not sure any tourist board would wish to use "You can see the lights of Croydon from here" as a marketing tool

Burney
07-18-2019, 10:46 AM
What an extremely vulgar thing to say.

:hehe: Well I do live near Essex these days.

Burney
07-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Yes, I've been told about Boxpark that there's quite good food and drink there. However, it is just hanging out the back of East Croydon Station, so you can go there, enjoy it and leave without actually going into Croydon proper. Tbh it's all academic to me, since I only ever go anywhere near Croydon to see my parents, who live about halfway between there and Bromley.

IUFG
07-18-2019, 10:51 AM
I think that every time I drive miles out into the Hertfordshire/Essex countryside past lovely villages to 'London' Stansted :hehe:

Face facts, everyone: it's Cambridge Airport.

I drove past Cambridge Airport on Tuesday. Cambridge International Airport, no less.
You have to wait at red lights in your car if an airplane is landing or taking off, ffs

Sir C
07-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Yes, I've been told about Boxpark that there's quite good food and drink there. However, it is just hanging out the back of East Croydon Station, so you can go there, enjoy it and leave without actually going into Croydon proper. Tbh it's all academic to me, since I only ever go anywhere near Croydon to see my parents, who live about halfway between there and Bromley.

I used it for lunching last year when I did jury service. It was rather good. Especially the Korean Fried Chicken place.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 11:02 AM

London Stansted.
London Southend.
London Luton.

Don't forget London Biggin Hill.

Burney
07-18-2019, 11:02 AM

London Stansted.
London Southend.
London Luton.

The funny thing is that I have two international airports that style themselves 'London' within half an hour drive of me (Luton and Stansted). I live about 15 miles north of the northernmost tip of Enfield and yet each involves me driving 20-odd miles even further away from London than I already am. :hehe:

Ash
07-18-2019, 11:04 AM
As we are seeing, where London starts and ends depends on many things, some tangible and others not. The Roman City, The Medieval City, the Georgian, the Victorian, the Edwardian. Whether it is urban or rural. The political geography of the 32 boroughs, or the Post Office's definition, where for example the vast endless metro-land of the north-west is given a Harrow postcode to make it bloody clear it isn't London. Nor is Romford FFS.

And let's face it, if the post office should know where London is. They know where everywhere is.

For me, it's the North Circular. Not sure about Down There but I am working on it slowly. eg: The river marking the border between Tooting and the borough of Croydon is definitely the edge of London.

Burney
07-18-2019, 11:05 AM
I used it for lunching last year when I did jury service. It was rather good. Especially the Korean Fried Chicken place.

Yes. In fact I think it was you what told me. I suppose that would be quite convenient for the law courts (and doesn't involve taking one's life if one's hands and heading into central Croydon).

Come to think of it, I don't think I've been to central Croydon for the better part of 10 years.

Burney
07-18-2019, 11:09 AM
As we are seeing, where London starts and ends depends on many things, some tangible and others not. The Roman City, The Medieval City, the Georgian, the Victorian, the Edwardian. Whether it is urban or rural. The political geography of the 32 boroughs, or the Post Office's definition, where for example the vast endless metro-land of the north-west is given a Harrow postcode to make it bloody clear it isn't London. Nor is Romford FFS.

And let's face it, if the post office should know where London is. They know where everywhere is.

For me, it's the North Circular. Not sure about Down There but I am working on it slowly. eg: The river marking the border between Tooting and the borough of Croydon is definitely the edge of London.

Is that the Graveney? If so, I would broadly agree with this.

Burney
07-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Don't forget London Biggin Hill.

To be fair, that is at least in a London Borough. But it's not a proper airport.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 11:22 AM
To be fair, that is at least in a London Borough. But it's not a proper airport.

The difference between an aerodrome and an airport used to be whether it had immigration facilities. By such a measure Biggin is definitely an airport.

barrybueno
07-18-2019, 11:23 AM

Good. Fúcking. Timez.

This reads like an Enid Blyton post :hehe: Apart from the awful swearing of course.

Burney
07-18-2019, 11:25 AM
The difference between an aerodrome and an airport used to be whether it had immigration facilities. By such a measure Biggin is definitely an airport.

Yes, but these days the definition is whether it has a Boots, a WH Smith and a branch of Giraffe.

barrybueno
07-18-2019, 11:29 AM
though I'm not sure any tourist board would wish to use "You can see the lights of Croydon from here" as a marketing tool

They may well use the 8 miles as the crow flies bit tbh. Way out of stabbing range.

IUFG
07-18-2019, 11:31 AM
They may well use the 8 miles as the crow flies bit tbh. Way out of stabbing range.

Yuo say that now, b, it'll be kniving by drone before long, b.

Sir C
07-18-2019, 11:36 AM
This reads like an Enid Blyton post :hehe: Apart from the awful swearing of course.

I’m glad someone appreciated my anecdote, b.

Burney
07-18-2019, 11:41 AM
I’m glad someone appreciated my anecdote, b.

I thought it was going to involve football violence, tbh. Given which, a lengthy journey, a postponement and tea with someone's maiden aunt was a bit of a damp squib. :-(

Sir C
07-18-2019, 11:47 AM
I thought it was going to involve football violence, tbh. Given which, a lengthy journey, a postponement and tea with someone's maiden aunt was a bit of a damp squib. :-(

Apparently the first time West Ham and Wimbledon played each other was 1985, so I’ve misremembered something pretty fundamental here.

Burney
07-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Apparently the first time West Ham and Wimbledon played each other was 1985, so I’ve misremembered something pretty fundamental here.

Yes, that would make you and your chum Malcolm 20, which puts a rather different complexion on things.

Pokster
07-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Yes, that would make you and your chum Malcolm 20, which puts a rather different complexion on things.

hmmm, 20, going round to the Aunt's and she gave them tea and cake.... so in other words they went round a spit roasted her NTTAWWI

Ash
07-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Is that the Graveney? If so, I would broadly agree with this.

Pre-1965 it marked the border between London and Surrey.

https://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2017/04/river-graveney.html

Ash
07-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Mercy me a, you must have passed through the living hell called Hayes Town. Those of us who have lived near its environs simply call it the Open Prison. I knew a Hayes girl who had her anus tatooed to resemble a pouting cherub with the caption "gizza kiss" on her buttocks*

*may have made that up, convinced she probably exists

Not on the Piccadilly Line, but on the London Loop. Had breakfast there near the canal.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/hayes-and-harlington-to-uxbridge

Did meet your ladyfriend, btw. She sends her regards. :thumbup: