PDA

View Full Version : If there’s one thing worse than automotive journalism, it’s automotive PR.

Burney
07-17-2019, 01:56 PM
I’ve just got a 4,000 word press release about the new Lotus that describes it as having ‘pronounced, muscular haunches’ :hehe:

Sir C
07-17-2019, 02:02 PM
I’ve just got a 4,000 word press release about the new Lotus that describes it as having ‘pronounced, muscular haunches’ :hehe:

:shrug: That's a really common image in the automotive industry and actually paints quite a vivid picture for those used to dealing with such matters.

I confess I have very little contact with automotive journalism these days, but the genre has a rich history with writers such as LJK Setright and Cropley at Car magazine producing some of the best magazine writing of any genre.

Nowadays I suppose it's all Top Gear nonsense.

barrybueno
07-17-2019, 02:02 PM

I did like James May's comment about the electric car they made 'It will go like a stabbed rat' :hehe:

Sir C
07-17-2019, 02:04 PM
:shrug: That's a really common image in the automotive industry and actually paints quite a vivid picture for those used to dealing with such matters.

I confess I have very little contact with automotive journalism these days, but the genre has a rich history with writers such as LJK Setright and Cropley at Car magazine producing some of the best magazine writing of any genre.

Nowadays I suppose it's all Top Gear nonsense.

And George Bishop! How could I forget George Bishop!

IUFG
07-17-2019, 02:08 PM

squeeze in that it is built by people who'd rather work somewhere else.

allegedly, Lotus is an awful place to work.

*checks glassdoor*

it is...

Ash
07-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Lotus started in a small garage in Hornsey. I walk by the site sometimes, and I think it's a Jewson or some such now. There's a plaque.

It is rumoured that the name comes from Colin Chapman's word for his GLF's mimsy.

Sir C
07-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Lotus started in a small garage in Hornsey. I walk by the site sometimes, and I think it's a Jewson or some such now. There's a plaque.

It is rumoured that the name comes from Colin Chapman's word for his GLF's mimsy.

I wonder if that's why Chapman favoured the Coventry Climax?

Luis Anaconda
07-18-2019, 08:50 AM

I been by that as well - the small garage not CC's GLF'S m

Luis Anaconda
07-18-2019, 08:51 AM

:hehe: I've got that as well - didn't get as far as the muscular haunches though. Or in fact as far as opening it tbh