PDA

View Full Version : After yesterday's conversation about falling out of love with the Arsenal, I started

Burney
07-16-2019, 10:26 AM
to wonder if I'll ever go again.

I mean my last game was about 5 years ago and that was only because it was a corporate entertainment gig. I can't think of anything that would drag me there now and seriously begin to wonder if I'll ever bother again.

The thought made me a bit sad - albeit not sad enough to actually want to attend a game. :-\

Sir C
07-16-2019, 10:35 AM

I mean my last game was about 5 years ago and that was only because it was a corporate entertainment gig. I can't think of anything that would drag me there now and seriously begin to wonder if I'll ever bother again.

The thought made me a bit sad - albeit not sad enough to actually want to attend a game. :-\

Someone posted a video on facebook yesterday of a display at City airport airshow in 1999. It was 30 seconds in before I realised it was me in the driver's seat. :hehe: This induced a wave of nostalgia, almost immediately followed by a rush of relief that all that is behind me.

Does the poet not tell us that everything must change
nothing stays the same
everyone will change
no one, no one stays the same
the young become the old
and mysteries do unfold
for that's the way of time
no one, and nothing goes unchanged

Wise words, I think you'll agree.

Ash
07-16-2019, 10:36 AM

I mean my last game was about 5 years ago

You still owe Ms A a pint from that game, btw. So if you have a shred of honour and decency ...

Burney
07-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Someone posted a video on facebook yesterday of a display at City airport airshow in 1999. It was 30 seconds in before I realised it was me in the driver's seat. :hehe: This induced a wave of nostalgia, almost immediately followed by a rush of relief that all that is behind me.

nothing stays the same
everyone will change
the young become the old
and mysteries do unfold

It must be an even more likely eventuality for you, I'd have thought. After all, you're going to bugger orf up north and live on a fell at some point and I can't imagine you're going to fancy schlepping down to sit in the Soulless Concrete Dome to inhale the lager-and-onion exhalations of Arsenal fans while something rather dull happens on the pitch.

Burney
07-16-2019, 10:42 AM
You still owe Ms A a pint from that game, btw. So if you have a shred of honour and decency ...

Do I? How very embarrassing. If you give me her bank details I'll happily reimburse that splendid lady.

Sir C
07-16-2019, 10:45 AM
It must be an even more likely eventuality for you, I'd have thought. After all, you're going to bugger orf up north and live on a fell at some point and I can't imagine you're going to fancy schlepping down to sit in the Soulless Concrete Dome to inhale the lager-and-onion exhalations of Arsenal fans while something rather dull happens on the pitch.

I resigned myself to never going again a couple of years ago, really.

I still enjoy watching live football when I go to MK Dons, oddly. That might be to do with the fact that I eat a rather good steak dinner, drink my own bodyweight in ale and then stagger to my bed.

Ash
07-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Do I? How very embarrassing. If you give me her bank details I'll happily reimburse that splendid lady.

You will wire the monies? Excellent.

Burney
07-16-2019, 10:47 AM
You will wire the monies? Excellent.

Yes. I am just waiting on a Postal Order, though, so if she wouldn't mind waiting until the end of the week...?

Burney
07-16-2019, 10:48 AM
I resigned myself to never going again a couple of years ago, really.

I still enjoy watching live football when I go to MK Dons, oddly. That might be to do with the fact that I eat a rather good steak dinner, drink my own bodyweight in ale and then stagger to my bed.

How does this realisation feel? Does it bother you at all? Or - like me - does the fact that it doesn't especially bother you bother you more?

Sir C
07-16-2019, 10:50 AM
How does this realisation feel? Does it bother you at all? Or - like me - does the fact that it doesn't especially bother you bother you more?

As with the flying, a sense of relief, I think. I mean, who needs to go through all that effort? :shudder:

Burney
07-16-2019, 10:54 AM
As with the flying, a sense of relief, I think. I mean, who needs to go through all that effort? :shudder:

Yes. It's funny, but I only thought of it yesterday. Up to that point I suppose I sort of assumed I'd go again, but then it hit me and I just thought 'Why on earth would I?'.

Ash
07-16-2019, 10:55 AM

I feel much like that about playing in bands, which I will likely not do again. How did I ever find the time and energy?

Sir C
07-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Yes. It's funny, but I only thought of it yesterday. Up to that point I suppose I sort of assumed I'd go again, but then it hit me and I just thought 'Why on earth would I?'.

Of course we'll probably both end up going on corporate jolly at some point. Furthermore, in 5 years time, who knows? You might become mad for it again and buy a season ticket which, I might add, is likely to be decent value while we're in League 1.

Sir C
07-16-2019, 11:00 AM
I feel much like that about playing in bands, which I will likely not do again. How did I ever find the time and energy?

Exactly so, a. No, there's no way I'm spending hours and hours training and practicing and travelling and performing. Instead, I shall head out onto 't fell and walk up fúcking mountians for 8 hours a day. :-(

Haha, as I was driving over Buttertubs Pass from the Yorkshire Dales to Cumbria I noted with pleasure that someone had amended the 'Welcome To Cumbria' sign to read, 'We come To Cum'. :hehe:

AFC East
07-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Of course we'll probably both end up going on corporate jolly at some point. Furthermore, in 5 years time, who knows? You might become mad for it again and buy a season ticket which, I might add, is likely to be decent value while we're in League 1.

Sport of any kind is a social event, it's not really about the sport. If you don't have a relative/friend or several that you go along with, you'll never go.

Be thankful. It's inconvenient, largely dull and a colossal waste of time.

Burney
07-16-2019, 11:07 AM

I sometimes look wistfully at my cricket bat, but realistically, I won't ever be picking it up in anger again. But that's a purely physical thing. That makes me briefly sad, but then I think about flogging around the outfield on a hot day and feel a lot better.

Sir C
07-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Sport of any kind is a social event, it's not really about the sport. If you don't have a relative/friend or several that you go along with, you'll never go.

Be thankful. It's inconvenient, largely dull and a colossal waste of time.

Oh, some 20 or 30 of my very closest chums attend every week, afce, yet my quality of life significantly improved when I defenestrated my season ticket.

Burney
07-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Hmmm. Maybe. But I'm getting a distinct 'We have heard the chimes at midnight' vibe about it. :-(

Sir C
07-16-2019, 11:10 AM
I sometimes look wistfully at my cricket bat, but realistically, I won't ever be picking it up in anger again. But that's a purely physical thing. That makes me briefly sad, but then I think about flogging around the outfield on a hot day and feel a lot better.

Consider also a Tuesday night in November. It's dark, it's cold and it's damp. We have Leicester City at home in the league. We're 3rd in the league and going well; tonight could put us second.

You're really quite hopeful and excited as you open a the second bottle of ordinary claret and thrown another log on the fire whilst awaiting kick off...

Monty92
07-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Why would you not play cricket again? Aren't you only, like, 40-something?

I now play 7-a-side football every Monday night with a bunch of local Faversham types (including two ex cons) who only ever seem to go to London to see their mates box in unlicensed fight clubs in Bethnal Green.

They've nicknamed me "Pull back Paul" due to my prediliction for a by-line cut back. I almost burst with pride :cloud9:

7sisters
07-16-2019, 12:07 PM

nothing stays the same
everyone will change
the young become the old
and mysteries do unfold

I think you'll agree that George sang it with feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJaT0mrOCk

Luis Anaconda
07-16-2019, 12:08 PM

A colleague of mine has just started playing for a club here - made me wonder. But then I realised it was 10 years since I last played and a couple of years longer since I played properly.

7sisters
07-16-2019, 12:10 PM
A colleague of mine has just started playing for a club here - made me wonder. But then I realised it was 10 years since I last played and a couple of years longer since I played properly.

Define *properly* , LA. Shin pads and tie ups ?

Ash
07-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Exactly so, a. No, there's no way I'm spending hours and hours training and practicing and travelling and performing. Instead, I shall head out onto 't fell and walk up fúcking mountians for 8 hours a day. :-(

Haha, as I was driving over Buttertubs Pass from the Yorkshire Dales to Cumbria I noted with pleasure that someone had amended the 'Welcome To Cumbria' sign to read, 'We come To Cum'. :hehe:

Um, yes, that did occur to me, but at least on the fells I only worry about matters of existential survival like getting lost in mist and falling to a terrifying death, and not whether the effing drummer is going to turn up.

Odd things, people.

Ash
07-16-2019, 12:19 PM

I now play 7-a-side football every Monday night with a bunch of local Faversham types (including two ex cons) who only ever seem to go to London to see their mates box in unlicensed fight clubs in Bethnal Green.

They've nicknamed me "Pull back Paul" due to my prediliction for a by-line cut back. I almost burst with pride :cloud9:

I see what you did there. Very good.

Still, slightly better than your nickname on here. Which I have course never used.

Sir C
07-16-2019, 12:23 PM
I see what you did there. Very good.

Still, slightly better than your nickname on here. Which I have course never used.

Is it Bignose? It's Bignose, isn't it?

He really does have a remarkable nose.

Ash
07-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Some of auld fellas I saw the other playing the other day in Eltham had been round the sun a serious number of times. Must have been well over sixty, at least. some of them. The slowest bowler I've ever seen. Even Vince could have picked out his deliveries.

Burney
07-16-2019, 01:18 PM

Because I'm 46, my eyes have gone and I played at a reasonable enough standard that I always swore I wouldn't be one of those old ****s who hangs around playing in the stiffs with kids and similarly ancient types. Plus, everything in cricket apart from the batting and the banter is either shít (fielding) or I'm shít at it (bowling).

And are you sure they aren't calling you 'Pull-back Paul' because they've noticed you're circumcised?

Burney
07-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Some of auld fellas I saw the other playing the other day in Eltham had been round the sun a serious number of times. Must have been well over sixty, at least. some of them. The slowest bowler I've ever seen. Even Vince could have picked out his deliveries.

This is precisely what I wish to avoid. It's embarrassing. Sport is for young men. Old men should withdraw from it with at least some dignity.

Luis Anaconda
07-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Because I'm 46, my eyes have gone and I played at a reasonable enough standard that I always swore I wouldn't be one of those old ****s who hangs around playing in the stiffs with kids and similarly ancient types. Plus, everything in cricket apart from the batting and the banter is either shít (fielding) or I'm shít at it (bowling).

And are you sure they aren't calling you 'Pull-back Paul' because they've noticed you're circumcised?
The eyes did for me as well - never wanted to bat in glass and couldn't wear contacts comfortably. Plus as you say, fielding with a hangover :puke:

Ash
07-16-2019, 01:22 PM

:noah: :noah:

Luis Anaconda
07-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Define *properly* , LA. Shin pads and tie ups ?

This was cricket - ie league stuff. Played football - 5-aside at least until I hit 40, then the old knees gave out (and ankles and pretty much everthing else)

Burney
07-16-2019, 01:25 PM
The eyes did for me as well - never wanted to bat in glass and couldn't wear contacts comfortably. Plus as you say, fielding with a hangover :puke:

Oh, contacts gave me a few more good years, but eventually you just stop being able to pick the length and speed of the ball up early enough. The last season I played I got bowled an embarrassing number of times. Sod that.

Burney
07-16-2019, 01:28 PM
:noah: :noah:

Is it? Do you think he was making that joke? I think you give him too much credit.

Luis Anaconda
07-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Oh, contacts gave me a few more good years, but eventually you just stop being able to pick the length and speed of the ball up early enough. The last season I played I got bowled an embarrassing number of times. Sod that.
Indeed - better to bow out with a bit of dignity left

Ash
07-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Is it? Do you think he was making that joke? I think you give him too much credit.

Well, yes, and perhaps. I'm sure he has made jokes in the past.

Pokster
07-16-2019, 01:42 PM

After playing golf for the first time in over 12 months last week... i think i need contacts, half the time I had no idea where the ball had gone (even when it was straight)

Burney
07-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Well, yes, and perhaps. I'm sure he has made jokes in the past.

Yes, but I think this was just him boasting because normal men had treated him as though he were one of them. I don't think his penís even entered his mind, tbh.

Burney
07-16-2019, 01:46 PM
After playing golf for the first time in over 12 months last week... i think i need contacts, half the time I had no idea where the ball had gone (even when it was straight)

My distance vision is OK, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start using reading glasses. My arms just aren't long enough to comfortably read my phone anymore.

Pokster
07-16-2019, 01:48 PM
My distance vision is OK, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start using reading glasses. My arms just aren't long enough to comfortably read my phone anymore.

It's not good b, age is catching up with us all...sc will start getting grey hairs next, if his just for men subscription ever runs out

Burney
07-16-2019, 01:54 PM
It's not good b, age is catching up with us all...sc will start getting grey hairs next, if his just for men subscription ever runs out

He wants to use this stuff. Works quite well.